Lens Filter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lens Filter

USMCsilver
02-12-2009, 08:26
Are they all the same? My photo-buddy told me one of the best investments is a clear lens filter to help protect the lens.

I've seen some for rediculously cheap prices, then some that are more expensive.

I need two 52mm clear filters. Care to provide a link to something inexpensive yet effective?

TIA. :supergrin:

daaaveman
02-12-2009, 08:28
You can't go wrong with Hoya. Don't put a cheap filter on a good lens. Given that they're 52mm, I don't think we're talking high-end lenses but I'd still go with a good filter. And you really want UV lenses, not clear.

USMCsilver
02-12-2009, 08:32
This one sound alright?

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203345817&listingid=29753253&dcaid=17902

Hmm...cheaper here: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Hoya-52mm-UV-Haze-Glass-Filter/2505393/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10724643

Even cheaper: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/19752-Hoya-Filter-Excel-UV-Guard-52mm?sc=24100

hwyhobo
02-12-2009, 12:51
A good Hoya filter (Super HMC) will run ~ $25. B+W MRC filters will run ~ $45.

Before you buy a UV filter, may I ask what kind of protection you are looking for? Do you photograph in areas where toxic/harmful mist is present, and you don't want it to get that on your lens? If so, you better wear a hazmat suit while taking pictures. ;)

If you are looking for protection from mechanical damage, then a good lens hood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_hood) offers a much better protection without introducing potential flare or image quality degradation. Remember that today's sensors react to certain types of light differently than film did, and there is little reason to use a general-purpose filter these days other than perhaps a polarizer. Even UV does not have the same effect on the sensor as it did on film.

There have been good articles written on the subject, here are just a few you may want to check:

http://www.bythom.com/filters.htm
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-feb-05.shtml

Needless to say, those are the ones I agree with ;). I am sure you can find some that disagree.

USMCsilver
02-12-2009, 13:28
I want something so I do not damage the glass if I bump it on something.

That's the only thing I am after.

hwyhobo
02-12-2009, 14:00
Then definitely a good lens hood is your primary defense. Then, if you decide you want a filter in addition to it, get one, but like daaaveman said, get a good one.

bill-hhh
02-12-2009, 14:23
I agree with the Hoya UV and Lens Hood combo. Thats what I use on my Nikon with no ill effects.

Glkster19
02-14-2009, 08:37
Lens filters are a very wise investment. A lens hood is is a very wise investment. I usually put circular polarizers on lens' I use primarily outside and UV's on the lens that will primarily be indoor lens'.

Just my .02 and I'm a long ways from professional advice.

airmotive
02-14-2009, 08:58
Confused yet?

Glkster19
02-14-2009, 12:31
Confused yet?

No................................

oh, you mean USMC?? :supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

USMCsilver
02-14-2009, 18:13
Confused yet?

Yes.

Most hoods I looked at don't allow for me to use my snap-in lens cap. I'm not too sure how a hood and filter would work together.

I see how one, OR THE OTHER, but not both, would screw into the threads at the end of the lens. This is where the lens cap snaps in...

So -- if I were to get a hood that can't accomodate a cap, then how would I even get a filter in there, and much less a cover.

Yeah, I'm more than confused.

Glkster19
02-14-2009, 21:12
The filter should screw into threads (very fine threads) on the inside of the lens against the glass. The lens hood will go over the outside of the lens and should just twist into place on threads on the end of the lens. My lens caps still go on with the hood in place, yours should also. I have Canon gear but the concept should still be the same I believe.

MrsKitty
02-15-2009, 09:00
In my bag, I have the hoods on the lenses but flipped around backwards. It keeps the lens with the hood. When I take the lens out, I pop the cap off and drop it into the bag then flip the hood around the right way.

I have filters on all of my lenses. Either UV or haze. I only use multi-coated. I like the B+W the best but those are also the most expensive.

When you buy hoods, don't get the soft rubber ones. Get the hard ones that will absorb the impact if you drop the lens. You don't have to get the OEM Nikon ones. Check around forums to see what knock offs work. A hood is a hood. All it matters is that it stays on, is hard enough to do it's job and blocks the light off the elements.

Some hoods/lenses are made so you can thread a filter into the end of the hood then put a cap on. It sounds like a big ol' mess to me but you may run across this type setup if you start looking into it.

T. Harless
02-15-2009, 14:28
I'm solidly in the camp of buy the best filter you can. I use B+W (and hoods) on all my lens I can filter. True, they're pushing up against $100 each but they're also really good glass protecting the front element of $1500 Nikon lenses.

Back in my newspaper PJ days, I'd busted more than a few filters. I imagine every one would have been a busted or at least badly scratched front element with out a filter. I'm less reckless with my gear now, I even know where some of my lens caps are:whistling:, but I'll still not go with just a hood if I can help it.

glockman99
03-15-2009, 14:42
You can't go wrong with Hoya. Don't put a cheap filter on a good lens. Given that they're 52mm, I don't think we're talking high-end lenses but I'd still go with a good filter. And you really want UV lenses, not clear.
Be aware that Hoya has 3 grades of filters. The cheap grade (green box) are not coated, (or coated with only one coat?), so they aren't that good and can degrade your lens' image quality slightly. I use Nikon or Canon brand filters. The B&W line of filters are excellent (made in Germany), but are VERY expensive.