Guns for Roses? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Guns for Roses?

02-14-2009, 14:34
I guess this is your basic gun turn in program, but this line caught my attention:

The exchange is directed at people who have unwanted or unused guns - not trained gunowners [sic] who have permits to have weapons, Lott said.

Did I somehow miss that people in SC need a permit to own a gun?

Link to full story below

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/661791.html

DustyJacket
02-14-2009, 14:47
Right, I told my wife I was going to send in her $499 pistol for a $100 gift card for Valentines Day.

I won't post her reply........

Glockphobia
02-14-2009, 15:15
Right, I told my wife I was going to send in her $499 pistol for a $100 gift card for Valentines Day.

I won't post her reply........

but,but, you get A rose too......:rofl:

David From NC
02-14-2009, 20:12
Oh how warm and fuzzy! :hearts:

I THINK I'M GOING TO FREAKIN' VOMIT! :notlistening:

The whole "gun-buy-back" concept is wishful thinking on the part of the shee... uh... populace anyway. I always cringe when I hear of them, but to see chiefs and sheriffs in the CAROLINAS buying into it makes me even sicker...

And they hand you a rose too... :rofl:

I'll bet the troops (the officers assigned to this touchy-feely program without being asked) that have to walk around the parking lot and handing people "their rose" are LIVID. :steamed:

(And remember, I'm a career LEO!)

infantrynco
02-14-2009, 20:59
Hey-

I'm holding my own "mini-buyback" program!

Yeah, that's right! I will buy all of your Glock G36's (providing you have only one)!

PM me if you have one to sell. I'm in the Columbia area and have cash for a ftf transaction.

You'll have to find your own damn flower.

Hydraulicman
02-14-2009, 21:04
guns for roses... you mean guns AND roses :rock:

kirgi08
02-15-2009, 02:49
Puns and Poses.'08.

David From NC
02-15-2009, 09:25
I decided on a gun related Valentine’s Day for my “valentine" to offset this mess!

I decided to take her to the range since she hasn’t shot in many months (and she actually likes going!)

Well that…and we’re running close on funds this month, so any “big” plans were out…!

My wife only started seriously shooting last year, and we've only been to the range for her about 4 times. She actually got pretty good, but as you know, shooting is a perishable skill!

I wanted her to get back comfortable with her G19 and shoot it well again, and I wanted her to practice some “ball and dummy” exercises (where I load dummy rounds into her live magazines so she instinctively does immediate action to clear malfunctions.) I also wanted her to become at least “familiar” with the M4 pattern weapons, and I am likely to have one or more lying around the house :supergrin: and they are superior to a handgun for dealing with many problems.

After about four magazines of “ball and dummy” each, we reloaded, took a short break and I then gave her the Smith and Wesson M&P 15A. I have two of them-ONE OF WHICH SHE BOUGHT ME FOR CHRISTMAS 2007 (one stays in my patrol car trunk and the other stays at home.)

After showing her how to load and making her do it, I gave her the newer rifle (iron sights only) and worked with her on her posture, her stance, her cheek/head position, etc. She shot about 10 - 15 times, and stopped. Her shots were “good” but not “great”.

I changed targets and then gave her my “patrol rifle” which has the EO Tech sight on it.

I had to finesse her stance a bit, and she fired three slow rounds… I watched them impact the Shoot-N-See target, and was amazed. After the third round, I made her stop so I could take a picture of the target (for evidentiary purposes!)

THREE ROUNDS, ABOUT 20 SECONDS, 12 YARDS, LESS THAN ONE INCH GROUP!

Now I know the cadence of shots was slow compared to CQB or SWAT training, and 12 yards isn't Camp Perry, but she’s only been shooting for about a year, and has only shot an AR pattern weapon ONE time previously! Of course I then had her stand at the target for another picture, since I had the camera out now!

I then had her shoot a “hostage” target. I purposely left it free hanging, and NOT backed by cardboard, so it was moving slightly as the breeze blew so she had to time her shot, and I told her to aim for the bridge of the nose. BOOM!

Her shots on both the bull’s-eye targets, the human silhouettes, and the “hostage” target are well centered and about 2 inches low. As I'm sure some/many of you know, this is normal with AR pattern weapons as the line-of-sight and line-of-bore are about 2 inches different, and this is only a problem inside about 15 yards.

In the ADVANCED class, I’ll teach her to begin to allow for this difference, when taking precision shots inside 15 yards! :cool:

I also had her fire three rounds from her rifle at 25 yards, and three rounds from her pistol, to let her see ONE of the MANY reasons we like long guns for fighting with-the far greater accuracy they provide.

She ended up with a pistol group about 14" wide, and a rifle group of about 5" wide. I was AGAIN impressed considering how long she's been doing this. I don't always have days that good! Heck it's probably better than some of you reading this... :tongueout:

And in a way that might seem strange to some people, it WAS “romantic” because we were both outside on a pretty day, we were doing something we both liked doing, and we were “bonding” as she says…and I think this is a PRACTICAL skill in today's world!

Anyway, thanks for humoring me on the length of the text and this pitiful plug for my awesome wife...

D f NC

PS-She says she IS going to hang the pics in her office because her clients "need to know who they are messing with!":2gun:

MaximaDrvr
02-15-2009, 23:29
If this happens in NC, I'll be about 30 feet in front of the officers, offer $25 more, but I'll have to take their information.

We'll see how well it goes.

ranger88
02-16-2009, 21:27
I saw a billboard for this in Columbia and thought to myself, "If anyone is stupid enough to take them up on this... maybe they shouldn't have a gun." I also wondered if they ever have any problems with couples who are going through divorces. You know.... one person is mad at the other and decides to turn in their partners guns as revenge. My mom sold some of my Dad's guns when they got divorced. He got them back in the end, but what a pain.

not_possible
02-18-2009, 19:10
I would have done it if I had heard sooner....with the POS Clerke's 1st revolver I have, but nothing else. Seems like I can't give the thing away so $100 best buy gift card would have been pretty nice.