Lechon in Cebu --the World's Best, hands down. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lechon in Cebu --the World's Best, hands down.

horge
02-17-2009, 19:03
Lechon in Cebu --the World's Best, hands down.

Tried it myself several times, and I certainly respect the opinion of chef, author
and TV food critic Anthony Bourdain, who has a much broader base of gustatory
experiences to make judgement, and is a self-confessed fanatic for roasted whole pig,
trying it out everywhere in the world he comes upon it.

http://anthony-bourdain-blog.travelchannel.com/

In his estimation, the worldwide "hierarchy" of pork excellence stands thus:

#1. Cebuano lechon
#2. Balinese babi guling
#3. Boriqueño pernil

His recently-aired episode of No Reservations had him hanging out in Cebu,
waiting on a slow roasted oinker -- a "magical animal" that had Bourdain just
blown away like I haven't seen before.

Maybe I'm spoiled, by so much good food from all over the Philippines.
Maybe I take for granted, how diverse our country's regional cuisines are,
that it takes a foreign chef/critic's amazement to remind me how good we
Filipinos have it, food-wise.

To Joel (Marketman) in Cebu, who set the feast for Bourdain, you rule!
To the Cebuano BoGs, my congratulations on some long-overdue recognition,
I may still like my pig with Tagalog-style sauce on the side, but as far as
cooking the hog itself is concerned, I think all Filipinos can now fairly brag
that our Cebu is the champ, the Manny Pacquiao of pig-roasting, world-wide!

:)
h.

presidingglock
02-17-2009, 19:40
You should try eating it with puso (hanging rice) he he he

Wp.22
02-17-2009, 19:47
He is my Idol no BS chef i like watching his programs Cooks tour and no reservation.

Wp.22
02-17-2009, 19:53
there is one episode he did road trip across america in one of the stop was texas. There he hunted and tried all types of guns from m4, mp5. shot gun and a machine gun.

CatsMeow
02-17-2009, 20:17
:eat::eat:

If you happen to be in Cebu, but can only go to the malls, you can go to the CNT kiosk where they sell chopped-up lechon by the kilo, packed in a box for take-out.

sandman_sy
02-17-2009, 20:20
hhmm.. Cebuano lechon.. meet your rival :) Iligan's Lechon.. heheeh.. i had several visitors here sa Iligan na Cebuano. and we go to Timoga for a swim and some finger lickin good lechon. around 70% have said mas masarap daw sa dito :)) But if you say Talisay lechon.. oh man.. that brings back memories.. i remember just 6 of us eating a small Lechon.. sarap to the bones talaga :) but that was just 1 time.. the other times i tried their lechon in cebu. Delicious.. but ive tasted better :)

btw.. Sukang Pinakurat originated here in iligan. if you havnt tried it... you're missing a lot.. its native vinegar na may spices. i'm getting hungry... hhmm.. timoga lechon?? heheheheh

presidingglock
02-17-2009, 20:32
+1 on Talisay lechon, I'm a resident there so I should know. Talisay lechon dipped in pinakurat vinegar with atsara add puso he he I can't think of anything better to eat.

Sandman_sy, how's Timoga by the way? My mother is also from Iligan and we used to visit there every summer.

sandman_sy
02-17-2009, 21:11
Hey Presidingglock :P a bit crowded still :) daming tao if weekends... whenever i can..i go there for the lechon :) hahahah.. kahit secret2x sa missis.. high cholesterol and all :) hahhaahha

horge
02-17-2009, 23:13
Bought a bottle of sukang pinakurat last Christmas, but still haven't sampled it.
I guess I'm-a popping that badboy open tonight.

presidingglock
02-17-2009, 23:26
Horge, you can also use that to spice up a chicharon.

bikethief
02-17-2009, 23:27
Do you guys know what the most lucrative profession is in Cebu?

Cardiologist.

markieboy
02-17-2009, 23:35
Just watched No Reservations. Wow! All the food made me really miss the Philippines.

I haven't tried the boiled goat head soup yet. Does anyone know what that dish is called? Parang sinigang.

Anyway, I'm glad Mr. Bourdain enjoyed his trip to the Philippines. He really tried the different dishes, without any hesitation. How I wish more foreigners would be as open-minded as he is.

ahtsay
02-18-2009, 00:01
Babi Guling!!! :rofl: I didn't know it was world known. I thought it was just a local Indonesian delicacy. When we were in Bali during WS XV, we noticed that most of the restaurants were serving mostly seafood and chicken. I guess being a muslim country pork is not popular. I don't know how they discovered it but Bob Sajot, Eric Cordero and Scooby Yu were able to find this hole in wall that serves Babi Guling. They said it was really delicious and SPICY. It was also served by this old grandmother wearing a "duster" and using her bare hands to shape the Babi Guling into a small mound on your plate. They said this is the traditional way of serving it, with bare hands. Maybe thats the reason why its so good :tongueout: BTW, Babi Guling with Bir Bintang...SARAP! :eat:

jerrytrini
02-18-2009, 11:23
there is one episode he did road trip across america in one of the stop was texas. There he hunted and tried all types of guns from m4, mp5. shot gun and a machine gun.

He was with Ted Nugent who is a big pro-gun, pro-police, pro-military rock star.

bisoy
02-18-2009, 16:56
have u tried tasting the chili cebu lechon? :)

9MX
02-18-2009, 16:56
i've tried:

lechon in cebu, davao, and CDO. they all have the same taste..and way better than than lechon tagalog.

is there any difference i failed to notice? or cebu talaga ang orig ( i don't intend to spark a regional war here ha)?

9MX
02-18-2009, 16:57
Do you guys know what the most lucrative profession is in Cebu?

Cardiologist.

i think that is nationwide. pinoys like the good stuff:rofl:

bisoy
02-18-2009, 17:01
i've tried:

lechon in cebu, davao, and CDO. they all have the same taste..and way better than than lechon tagalog.

is there any difference i failed to notice? or cebu talaga ang orig ( i don't intend to spark a regional war here ha)?

mas malasa talaga ang cebu... that is if u go to the right lechon place. ako ay isang bisdak and having made a lot of friends in the dorm during college days have made me taste the delicacies of different provinces. mas type ko pa rin ang lasa ng cebu lechon.

Wp.22
02-18-2009, 18:56
my fisrt time to try the CDO lechon was 8 years ago and i was amazed that they serve the whole lechon. They don't chop it in small pieces first come get all you want style.

horge
02-18-2009, 20:31
i've tried:
:)
IMHO lang, ha?
The present inferiority of "Tagalog" lechon is to some extent due to mechanization.
Mass-produced lechones are roasted on a motor-driven spit, and that is
very bad for quality. Best to turn the pig as merited by observing the hog's skin.
Otherwise the skin isn't candy-crunchy nor the meat succulently moist.
Lack of diligence has spread to hog prep as well, so taste goes out the window too.

Don't get me wrong, even the soulless stuff sold by "Lydia's Lechon" is vastly superior
to most pork I've tasted abroad, but we're talking about Filipino standards of excellence;
the very best of the very very best, and frankly, in that context too many Tagalog
lechon-chefs have sold out. I do not know if they can recapture what they've lost.

still... the absolute best lechon I've had was in Hermosa, Bataan, 1977 I think.
That flawless badboy would've kicked the crap out of all other lechones I've ever had
(I've had a fair sampling of the 'local lechon' in maybe 11 provinces so far).
The pork I've since had in Hermosa over the years just hasn't measured up.
Cebu seems to be maintaining its standards well, despite mass production.

Although roasted pig would've been standard fare everywhere ...
Cebu has the earliest surviving documentation of pig roasting (1521 pa).
Pigafetta kasi mentions how Magallanes' party were served roasted
whole black pig. References to Luzon's lechon only go back (obviously)
to the late 1560's, after Legazpi established his base in future Manila.

The documented, common consumption of pork in early Tundun (Tondo)
is actually one of the handiest refutations vs. recent claims that Metro Manila
was originally (and predominantly) Muslim.

"Balik-Muslim", my butt... :upeyes:
Terrible, how some try to reinvent our history and culture, for political ends.

h.

isuzu
02-18-2009, 20:44
my fisrt time to try the CDO lechon was 8 years ago and i was amazed that they serve the whole lechon. They don't chop it in small pieces first come get all you want style.

Same in Negros. Lechon is served whole. The stuffing varies, though. Some use tanglad, tanglad with batwan, tanglad with long hot peppers; others use banana leaves. The inside of the pig is sprinkled liberally with salt.

I've tried lechon in Sagay that was stuffed with two chickens that were also stuffed with tanglad. Another lechon was stuffed with Valenciana. Another, with paella (it didn't taste good at all).

The lechon dip varies, also. From the south up to the Manapla - Caduha-an area, liver sauce is used as a dip. From Cadiz up to San Carlos, the sarsa is Del Monte Catsup. I didn't have a chance to try lechon beyond San Carlos.

I've tried pinakurat on lechon. Nakakatakot. You just don't know how much lechon you've had with that dip. I wanted to bring pinakurat here, but the airlines wouldn't allow it even in checked-in luggage.

Native pigs are the best lechon material. Cesar de la Peña only uses native pigs that he buys from the upland areas. He will never use commercially-produced pigs.

Lechon paksiw is what becomes of left-over lechon. :) What I do to left-over lechon is deep fry it after mixing it with salt, pepper, soy sauce and lots of garlic.

horge
02-18-2009, 20:57
I believe lechon paksiw is the only food served, for all eternity,
in that special place in hell reserved for the very worst sinners.

ritchiemar22
02-18-2009, 21:53
lechon cebu's meat tastes like savory chicken...

CatsMeow
02-18-2009, 22:49
The best lechon stuffing IMO is spring onion (whole). When the lechon has been skeletonized, you can get the spring onion stuffing and have that as your side dish as well, though it will be very salty.

atmarcella
02-18-2009, 23:21
pinakurat

iloilo's/bacolod's version is called sinamak.

nrmcolt
02-18-2009, 23:23
I think my BP is hitting the ceiling r-i-g-h-t n-o-w!:faint:

atmarcella
02-19-2009, 00:08
linky linky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luFirCa1phc&NR=1

does someone have better??????????

bisoy
02-19-2009, 01:10
iloilo's/bacolod's version is called sinamak.

mas type ko ang sinamak pero bihira lang na may sinamak na kasing anghang ng pinakurat. my ilonggo friend makes sinamak accdg to how spicy u want it though.....

horge
02-19-2009, 01:42
linky linky:

Hi Andrew :)
The rest of the episode is on YouTube, in sequentially numbered portions,
as something like "Anthony Bourdain goes to the Philippines", but the video
quality is bad: coarse and out of focus -- and really:

everyone needs to catch this episode for real, on cable!

The Philippine topic aside, it really is one of Bourdain's better episodes of
No Reservations. Good story arc in Augusto's personal quest for his
cultural roots, and almost carnally vivid footage of Philippine streets, of
home cooking, a daytime carinderia, a nighttime beer garden and a high end
restaurant... and of course, that masterpiece of a meal prepped in Cebu.

h.

atmarcella
02-19-2009, 03:49
i used to get "no reservations" on discovery travel and living but lately parang nawala? anong channel pa kaya lumalabas sya?

jmy
02-19-2009, 05:32
I've tried the lechon from Cebu when I went there twice before and also during the parties of my in-aws as they are Cebuanos.Well,modesty aside,the best lechon for me is still the one from Canlubang Laguna,my hometown and I can back it up.Even my in laws,who are Cebuanos,could attest to it as when they tasted the Canlubang lechon,they stopped serving Cebuano lechon during their parties.Instead,they would request me to bring the Canlubang lechon whenever they were giving a party.The only downside of the Canlubang lechon is that it should be eaten right away after it is cooked.Even then,kahit na makunat na ang balat,masarap parin.Another Canlubang lechon fan,was Imelda Marcos and also her children.In fact,even Ferdinand Marcos who was a health freak and who only ate boiled foods,would have a few bites of the Canlubang lechon everytime he visited Canlubang during his time as President of our country.

9MX
02-19-2009, 07:36
hmmm...i should pay more attention to the lechons in vismin next time around.

jmy,

kelan ka paparty? hehehee

so where can we get the canlubang lechon

horge
02-19-2009, 14:32
so where can we get the canlubang lechon

Possibly, in Canlubang. :tongueout:

markieboy
02-19-2009, 23:35
linky linky:

Sir atmarcella,

I have better links. PM me if you're interested.

Allegra
02-20-2009, 02:43
I've tried the lechon from Cebu when I went there twice before and also during the parties of my in-aws as they are Cebuanos.Well,modesty aside,the best lechon for me is still the one from Canlubang Laguna,my hometown and I can back it up.Even my in laws,who are Cebuanos,could attest to it as when they tasted the Canlubang lechon,they stopped serving Cebuano lechon during their parties.Instead,they would request me to bring the Canlubang lechon whenever they were giving a party.The only downside of the Canlubang lechon is that it should be eaten right away after it is cooked.Even then,kahit na makunat na ang balat,masarap parin.Another Canlubang lechon fan,was Imelda Marcos and also her children.In fact,even Ferdinand Marcos who was a health freak and who only ate boiled foods,would have a few bites of the Canlubang lechon everytime he visited Canlubang during his time as President of our country.

san daw yan fafa? dalas ko jan , wala naman ako nakikitang lechonan jan :)

jmy
02-20-2009, 08:38
san daw yan fafa? dalas ko jan , wala naman ako nakikitang lechonan jan :)

You are right,walang lechonan sa Canlubang.It is only specially made for our family.It's actually an old recipe of my late grandmother.She gave the recipe to the family of her former right hand woman in Canlubang and everytime we have parties,we just order the lechon from them.Aside from lechon,my late grandmother also gave them her recipe for chicken inasal which is also the best I've tasted.You see,my late grandmother and grandfather originated from Negros(Bago and Bacolod).

9MX
02-20-2009, 09:46
Possibly, in Canlubang. :tongueout:

but course my dear watson:supergrin:

jmy,

you gotta walk the talk:whistling::wavey:

New_comer
02-20-2009, 10:27
What about Elar's?

do they do it Cebu style, canlubang style or native tagalog style?

horge
02-20-2009, 15:15
but course my dear watson:supergrin:
Hehe...kaso, sablay pa rin ako.
Wala pala sa Canlubang. Ngoe....
:rofl:

jmy,you gotta walk the talk:whistling:
Agree ako diyan, sir.
Sir Mike? Mr. Bog President jmy???
Yooohooo!!! Kailan ang handa?
:wavey:

What about Elar's?
do they do it Cebu style, canlubang style or native tagalog style?
Bossing New Comer, sir, :)
Unlike Lydia's, which claims to do lechon Cebu-style, Elar's is less explicit.
Theirs does seem closer in ways to Tagalog-cooked lechon than Cebuano, but
they use their own secret techniques/ingredients, so we really can't call
theirs one or the other.

Medio magulo ang Elar's dati (up to now?). There seemed to be two separate
companies using nearly the same name, Elar's and Elarz. Family squabble or
something, with customers claiming the latter was by far, better-tasting.

Maiba naman...
My folks used to take us to Alba's for the cochinillo, when old man Alba
was still in charge. That was righteous stuff... and it's still pretty good
these days, but quality has definitely fallen a few notches.

h.

isuzu
02-20-2009, 22:00
Looks like a lechon convention brewing. :)

fox34
02-20-2009, 23:43
.Aside from lechon,my late grandmother also gave them her recipe for chicken inasal which is also the best I've tasted.You see,my late grandmother and grandfather originated from Negros(Bago and Bacolod).

JMY, so, this is not Canlubang Lechon then; It's the orig Negros Occidental lechon.

jmy
02-20-2009, 23:54
.Aside from lechon,my late grandmother also gave them her recipe for chicken inasal which is also the best I've tasted.You see,my late grandmother and grandfather originated from Negros(Bago and Bacolod).

JMY, so, this is not Canlubang Lechon then; It's the orig Negros Occidental lechon.

Well,the Canlubang people call it the Canlubang lechon.Even people who aren't from Canlubang but who have tasted it,call it the Canlubang lechon.

isuzu
02-21-2009, 14:38
Went to our suking Filipino store today, and found out they are now selling Pinakurat. Bought a bottle and a bag of chicharon for a taste test. :)

genderk
02-21-2009, 18:50
I saw it being advertised the day before their schedule so I decided to record it in my DVR. I watched it the next day, and Bourdain was impressed of the whole presentation. Thus, good job to Agosto from New York (he was the one who convinced Bourdain to go to the Philippines). Agosto grew up in NY but family is originally from Cebu.

Speaking of foods, Iloilo is also known not only for "pasalubong" like pastries and cakes but for lechon (pork) as well, lechon manok, seafoods, batchoy, pancit molo, and a lot more. I guess they just need more publicity.

"Sinamak" is so good, I can't resist it.

productionguy
02-21-2009, 20:22
bulacan lechon,free delivery...with liver sarsa sauce,,,

isuzu
02-22-2009, 00:14

Since we're in the topic of high-cholesterol food :), the best sisig and bulalo that we had in Bacolod was in Bago City. The restaurant was called Kubo Sa Lawn or KSL. The roads weren't bad then, and we had to drive 20 kms from Bacolod to Bago just to eat sisig.

They have since moved to Bacolod at Libertad Extension near Espinos Village. The place is co-owned by the Martir twins from Bago. They were mainstays at the TV show, Batibot.

atmarcella
02-23-2009, 00:37
She gave the recipe to the family of her former right hand woman in Canlubang and everytime we have parties,we just order the lechon from them.

jmy, sir, can we have contact nos.?

jmy
02-23-2009, 05:31
jmy, sir, can we have contact nos.?

The Contact Number is (0927)996-2182.Look for Mrs. Evelyn Gonzaga Estepa.She is the daughter of my late grandmother's friend.You see,she handles the lechon now as her mother is kinda old already.By the way,they don't sell the lechon per Kilo.You have to order the whole pig.Since the last time I ordered a lechon from them 3 weeks ago for my son's birthday party,it cost 4.5K for a medium size.If I remember it rightly, a Small would cost 3.5K,a Medium would cost 4.5K,and a Large would cost 5.5K.If I were you don't get the Large size as it isn't as good as the Medium or Small sizes.And lastly,give them a few days notice in advance.
Thanks.

batangueno
02-23-2009, 12:24
Sa lahat ng pagkain pinoy lechon ang pinakanami-miss ko.:drool:

Allegra
02-23-2009, 20:30
The Contact Number is (0927)996-2182.Look for Mrs. Evelyn Gonzaga Estepa.She is the daughter of my late grandmother's friend.You see,she handles the lechon now as her mother is kinda old already.By the way,they don't sell the lechon per Kilo.You have to order the whole pig.Since the last time I ordered a lechon from them 3 weeks ago for my son's birthday party,it cost 4.5K for a medium size.If I remember it rightly, a Small would cost 3.5K,a Medium would cost 4.5K,and a Large would cost 5.5K.If I were you don't get the Large size as it isn't as good as the Medium or Small sizes.And lastly,give them a few days notice in advance.
Thanks.

Sticky!

atmarcella
02-24-2009, 01:02
Thanks.

thank you sir!

i second the motion to sticky whahahahahaha!

ron-d75
02-25-2009, 19:00
nakakagutom naman kayo mga bro. but yes I concur with Cebu's lechon together with puso. It sure does bring back some memories.:cool:

RED64CJ5
02-25-2009, 19:24
I am going to be spending two weeks in Cebu very soon -- I'll have to go visit some of these places.

horge
02-26-2009, 03:47
I am going to be spending two weeks in Cebu very soon -- I'll have to go visit some of these places.

Try to lose some weight now.
You may gain quite a bit while over here, LOL....

New_comer
02-26-2009, 05:29
http://www.marketmanila.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/1200.jpg

Bourdain's holding a SMB pale pilsen, the best with lechon! ^^

cebuboy
02-26-2009, 05:42

Try out Alejo's Lechon, they do make slow roasted lechon and great dinugu-an too. :)

RED64CJ5
02-26-2009, 07:27
Try to lose some weight now.
You may gain quite a bit while over here, LOL....

I am already working to lose weight so that I can gain it back on the trip. :supergrin:

The other guys going with me are worried about the food. I keep teasing them and making them think there won't be any good food. ...when in reality I know we can feast on much tastier cuisine than here in our native Texas!

antediluvianist
03-06-2009, 08:10
We get Cebu-style lechon from Mila's Lechon (here in Manila/Quezon City). Hey, it's really good. Mila's charges P200 more for the Cebu Lechon, compared to the Lechon Tagalog - I suppose it's because of the additional herbs and spices that go into Lechon Cebu-style.

But I still like to eat it with sarsa - Mang Tomas - which the Cebuanos I know think is a sacrilege.

Tomorrow night we will have a Cebu Lechon flown in from Cebu - well, every Cebu Pacific plane that lands in Manila carries a number of lechons from Cebu.

Last weekend I had a feast of Cebu Lechon, shrimps, and alimango with the aligui. I survived. So far.

RED64CJ5
03-06-2009, 10:02
I'll be spending most of my time in Carcar. Any recommendations there?

jerrytrini
03-06-2009, 17:28
We get Cebu-style lechon from Mila's Lechon (here in Manila/Quezon City). Hey, it's really good. Mila's charges P200 more for the Cebu Lechon, compared to the Lechon Tagalog - I suppose it's because of the additional herbs and spices that go into Lechon Cebu-style.

But I still like to eat it with sarsa - Mang Tomas - which the Cebuanos I know think is a sacrilege.

Tomorrow night we will have a Cebu Lechon flown in from Cebu - well, every Cebu Pacific plane that lands in Manila carries a number of lechons from Cebu.

Last weekend I had a feast of Cebu Lechon, shrimps, and alimango with the aligui. I survived. So far.

The sarsa/dip or whatever I prefer for any broiled meat (except steak) is Datu Puti vinegar with lots of freshly crushed garlic, chopped onions and a dash of patis. This is especially wonderful with the "balat ng lechon". It was fun to watch the lechoneros do their thing while they take a swig of Marka Demonyo each time they turn the skewer. By the time the lechon is ready, they could barely stand up. They are as red as the lechon.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

cebuboy
03-06-2009, 18:17
If you like vinegar, you should try the locally brewed vinegar from made from tuba (fermented coconut sap juice) :)

kamelot
03-11-2009, 04:46
Hi cebuboy!

what store in Cebu sells the best tasting lechon?

cebuboy
03-11-2009, 08:05
Usually the more popular is by CnT Lechon, you can find them in malls, I highly recommend Alejo's Lechon in Labangon.

kamelot
03-11-2009, 23:47
thanks cebuboy for the suggestion. i'll try Alejo's.

zorkd
03-22-2009, 08:11
don't you think it's about time we made a protected origin controlling body for philippine food stuff? like france's aoc or italy's docg.

imagine a patis with aoc , then i package nicely and sell as 12 year old patis.

Clusterbomb
03-23-2009, 01:54
don't you think it's about time we made a protected origin controlling body for philippine food stuff? like france's aoc or italy's docg.

imagine a patis with aoc , then i package nicely and sell as 12 year old patis.

Pwede, but in order to deserve such label and protection, di ba the product must live up to certain standards dictated by tradition or law (uniform production process, standard ingredients, a rigid recipe, etc) so that taste will be consistent and quality is assured?

zorkd
03-23-2009, 07:43
of course, something like a docg wine actually goes through a taste test, shempre question is who will be on the board of such bodies locally, but i still think its one way of elevating the perception of our products.

we have good stuff, RP

isuzu
03-24-2009, 18:56
Moises Padilla's Lechon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqW0oXKCH7k&feature=channel_page

Wp.22
03-25-2009, 02:21
my cousin in-law is flying today from cebu she bought 1 kilo for me ETA dinner time hehehehe

Wp.22
03-25-2009, 18:08
im a little bit disappointed with the CnT lechon that my cousin bought it's a little bit salty than the usual must be because it belly part where the salt is saturated. Nevertheless i still had a great time eating.