Bowfishing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bowfishing

SlowIsSmoothIsFast
02-18-2009, 01:43
I need some info on this. I tried it before with the bow that I no longer have. (I outgrew it so sold it)

But the big heavy arrow didn't fly straight AT ALL. Or do you just have to be super close? Cause the carp were about 10 yards out and it was impossible to get them.

My bow was over 40lB pull. Not sure how much probably a good 45.

I want to get a bow and try it again this year.

noway
02-18-2009, 07:56
are you sure your aim was right?

Water displace the bow aiming and more importantly, light is distracted or reflects ( bends) items below the water line , and place them in the wrong perspective.

A fish seen from above is not really where you think it is at.

As far as bow, numerous shops can outfit you for bow fishing. The gear is not much more difficult other than a line, typical fiberglass shafts and a different tip. I would suggest going to a pro-shop and look over gear. My dad's bowfish setup is only like 37# if that. Heavier bow could be okay BUT lighter bow let's you work the string better and typically give you better control and release when tracking the fishes.

noway
02-18-2009, 07:59
and before I forget 10yards is a hard shot on a fish salt or freshwater. I like more in at 5yards or less.

357glocker
02-18-2009, 09:12
40lbs is plenty pull for bowfishing. It's a tough sport to get proficient at but keep practicing and you'll start to stick more fish. Aim low!
I actually started using carbon arrows from BassPro. They seem to shoot a little flatter for farther shots but I notice on big fish I rarely get the penetration I used to get with the fiberglass arrows.

chevy01234
02-19-2009, 22:26
I need some info on this. I tried it before with the bow that I no longer have. (I outgrew it so sold it)

But the big heavy arrow didn't fly straight AT ALL. Or do you just have to be super close? Cause the carp were about 10 yards out and it was impossible to get them.

My bow was over 40lB pull. Not sure how much probably a good 45.

I want to get a bow and try it again this year.

I use an Oneida Osprey set at 32lbs, and I have shot pretty good size fish with it (one 7ft gator gar). I will "bump" up the thread I put up on bowfishing. If you are looking online, check out www.backwaterbowfishing.com Tell Bryan that "Jraducks" sent you, he'll know it's me. He has the best prices and quickest shipping you will find. Give him a call and he will answer your questions, feel free to PM me and I will try and walk you through what ever you need to know. I shoot tournaments all over the country and like to think i'm pretty good at it :rofl:

chevy01234
02-19-2009, 22:30
I brought up two other bowfishing threads for you..

check out www.bowfishingcountry.com too! Alot of bowfishing knowledge over there, my sign in name is jraducks, shoot me a PM when you sign up!