Rifle for my GF [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Rifle for my GF

srob7001
02-19-2009, 08:48
Ok, my GF is really wanting a bolt action rifle, but all she know's is she want's it to be bolt action and at least a .308/7.62 for the cartrige.

Are there any females that can maybe point me in a good direction for her. Only rifle I could point her to is a Remington 700 model as that is all I have ever shot.

She was looking at a Savage rifle that was a .30-06, I just don't know if that will be too much gun for her as she is only 5'4 and weighs maybe 110 lbs.

Thanks for any input on this.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-19-2009, 09:23
I'm not a woman, but I can still have some occasional thoughts.

My Savage model 110 wood stocked 22" barrel .30-06 kicks like a mule. Sure, stand up and shoot off hand, and it is fine. But sit down at a benchrest and fire a few shots. Half way into my 5-shot string, I find myself saying "Frick, that kicks!". This with 165 gr. .

Shot a guy's Rem 700 ADL in .308 at the bench once, and said to myself "Hey, that doesn't kick at all". He was using 150 gr. His gun was about the same style as mine.

I used to have a 6mm (similar to a .243) and didn't think that kicked much at all.

So, based on that limited info, I'd steer away from .30-06 unless she is going to do more large deer hunting than target shooting. If she really wants a .30 cal, then I'd suggest a .308 . I'm currently buying a Savage 10FP 24" heavy barrel rifle in .308 . I plan on doing more benchrest shooting than hunting with it. I anticipate it having less recoil (also has other features for target shooting). Also lots of good target .308 ammo around. And the .308 is of course good for deer, too (just a little less energy than the .30-06, so it won't matter much unless you get into really big animals toward elk or moose size, I suppose).

But for the lowest recoil, I like my .223 bolt action. That is the best for sitting at the bench and not feeling anything on your shoulder. Just a loud boom. Also good for woodchucks.

If she wants a good caliber with low recoil, yet large enough for deer hunting, then .243 might be choice. I'm talking about the regular .243 Win, not the short magnum stuff. It is common, and lots of people use it for both target shooting and varmit shooting, and also some for deer. I was debating between a .243 or a .308. I decided on a .308, in part because it has such a wide selection of factory ammo. But I still like the .243 very much (my brother had one, while I had the 6mm Rem).

Finally, I'd let her pick the rifle. Maybe steer her toward the caliber. I like the Remington 700 (that's what my 6mm was), but also like the Savage. The Savage is generally less expensive, but also now has many models with the adjustable trigger (it has a little blade in trigger, sort of like a Glock). But really, let her pick. Does she want wood, synthetic, blue, stainless, camo, heavy barrel, etc.

Also, note that many guns have a youth version (both Rem and Savage do). The youth version just means it has a shorter stock, better for shorter arms. So, I'd look for those in your pick. And, again, let her hold it and like it and pick what she wants.

srob7001
02-19-2009, 10:39
Thanks for the info deerslayer. I really appreciate it.

Well, I'm not picking out the gun for her, she just asked my opinion on what I would get. Just wondering more about caliber and brands.

She really wanted one with a wood stock but after holding one decided it was a little heavy for her. So i think she is now leaning towards a synth stock.

Jdog
02-19-2009, 10:42
the heavier wood stocks do tend to kick less

Is she looking at hunting anything particular? or just all-around beast killer?

ithaca_deerslayer
02-19-2009, 11:02
She really wanted one with a wood stock but after holding one decided it was a little heavy for her. So i think she is now leaning towards a synth stock.

That's the old classic noodle scratcher.

If you go light, it is fun to carry around, but then may recoil more.

If you go heavy, not so fun to carry around, but has less recoil, and maybe the extra weight also helps to shoot more accurately.

srob7001
02-19-2009, 11:36
the heavier wood stocks do tend to kick less

Is she looking at hunting anything particular? or just all-around beast killer?

For now it is just something that she can have fun with at the range, but she seemed interested in hunting deer with it in the future.

srob7001
02-19-2009, 11:39
That's the old classic noodle scratcher.

If you go light, it is fun to carry around, but then may recoil more.

If you go heavy, not so fun to carry around, but has less recoil, and maybe the extra weight also helps to shoot more accurately.

Well, her main reason for initially wanting a wood stock is because they look "pretty."

So......I guess it just depends on what she feels she will like better.

I have a Mosin nagant and she loves the way it looks, she just thinks it is way too long and really heavy for her.

I think the youth versions might be a good idea for her.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-19-2009, 11:45
Ok, let me throw out some possible links, all for youth rifles:

Remington .243
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=86401

Savage, with scope, wood, .243 accutrigger (adjustable)
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=106810

Savage, with scope, .308, plain trigger
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=110228

Savage, with scope, .308, accutrigger (adjustable)
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=110216

List of all the Able Ammo website's youth guns. Note, I've only bought ammo and supplies from them, but not guns, but they do have a nice selection listed:
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=9935_17354_17355

Jdog
02-19-2009, 12:08
Well, her main reason for initially wanting a wood stock is because they look "pretty."

ok then see if you can find her a winchester featherweight in .243
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=122792574

it can easily kill deer, has a very good looking stock and it's lighter & shorter than most other hunting rifles

srob7001
02-19-2009, 12:26
You 2 a great!!

Thank you soooo much for the links.

CTSixshot
02-19-2009, 12:36
I'm hardly the rifle expert, but I'd think something in the line of a .260 Rem or even the 6.5x55 Swede in a Ruger M77 or similar would be light weight, portable enough, flat shooting/capable of printing small groups, plus capable for most hunting applications. Yes, that totally violates her desire for .308 and above...

Perhaps she should go to a well-stocked gun shop and shoulder a few brands and see what suits her fancy. Then you can narrow down your caliber choices, etc.

srob7001
02-19-2009, 12:57
I'm hardly the rifle expert, but I'd think something in the line of a .260 Rem or even the 6.5x55 Swede in a Ruger M77 or similar would be light weight, portable enough, flat shooting/capable of printing small groups, plus capable for most hunting applications. Yes, that totally violates her desire for .308 and above...

Perhaps she should go to a well-stocked gun shop and shoulder a few brands and see what suits her fancy. Then you can narrow down your caliber choices, etc.

Well we went to Gander Mountain and she looked at about 100 or so rifles.

See, I want her to get whatever she likes, but also something that doesn't have really exspinsive ammo. The .30-06 ammo was a lot more than i thought it would be. I'm thinking .308 is for her.

She shot her brothers SKS and liked the recoil on it and shot a AR-15 and hated how little it kicked. I was surprised she didn't like it more because of the less recoil. Do .223 bolt action rifles feel like an AR-15?

In her word "I don't want a little .223, i want something with stopping power." So I think she likes feeling some recoil.

She has a G23 and loves it. Shot my buddies 9mm glock and hated how it didn't have much "kick" to it. So, it seems as though she gets off on having some decent power in her hands.

CTSixshot
02-19-2009, 13:30
I can't address the .223 issue entirely since I've only shot with a Winchester Model 70 Heavy Varmint. (I haven't shot the AR-15's much nor at the same time to compare adequately.) I suppose it had a bit more felt-recoil being that some of the energy isn't dissipated in the cycling action, although it had plenty of heft to absorb some recoil.

I can attest to the light recoil of my Hakim (8mm) versus a bolt (German Mauser, etc). It's got a tremendously effective muzzle brake that others have said is the best they've shot with. What I'm getting at is that felt-recoil is not synonymous with knock-down power. I'd say the Hakim is lighter shooting than my Yugo SKS even. (You may have already figured it out...an SKS! Handy, reliable, inexpensive, big-bore enough and she likes it! Hmmmmm...not a bolt gun. Buy the Yugo, close the gas-port....voila... a bolt gun!)

Sounds like she needs the Glock 20, better yet, the G29 and a steel butted German Mauser or Mosin Nagant carbine!

One more thing... I didn't address your ammo expense concern.
There is still a reasonable supply of surplus ammo in .30-06, 8mm, 7.62x54R and of course, .308 Win and NATO. If you shoot factory ammo, I'd have to agree that .308 Win is probably the most available (quantity and various loadings) and reasonably priced. Most Wal-Marts and other stores probably stock more .308 choices than 8mm and Soviet.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-19-2009, 13:33
Well we went to Gander Mountain and she looked at about 100 or so rifles.

See, I want her to get whatever she likes, but also something that doesn't have really exspinsive ammo. The .30-06 ammo was a lot more than i thought it would be. I'm thinking .308 is for her.

She shot her brothers SKS and liked the recoil on it and shot a AR-15 and hated how little it kicked. I was surprised she didn't like it more because of the less recoil. Do .223 bolt action rifles feel like an AR-15?

In her word "I don't want a little .223, i want something with stopping power." So I think she likes feeling some recoil.

She has a G23 and loves it. Shot my buddies 9mm glock and hated how it didn't have much "kick" to it. So, it seems as though she gets off on having some decent power in her hands.

Her reasons are all legit. Heck, come on, for most of us owning guns is 99% about how it makes us feel.

For cost, the 308 will give you a lot to choose from, lots of cheaper ammo, and lots of premium ammo, and everything in between.

A .223 in bolt will not kick, and will feel like a .22LR, except for the MUCH louder boom. Some use it for deer, but many other think of it only as a target and varmit gun. The debate goes on whether it is good enough for deer or not. The debate also goes on as to whether it is a good army caliber or not. Just saying people debate about it. So, I can understand she might think it too whimpy for her if she has her heart on a more powerful rifle.

Since she has that attitude, I think all roads point to the .308 for her.

mikeyU
02-19-2009, 15:59
My gf took my AR:crying: At least she likes shooting!

luv2brode
02-20-2009, 00:12
got the wife a rem 700 adl for x-mas she loves it but did state she thinks it is as much gun as she would want. i shot it and it is smooth not harsh recoil.
it is synthetic and i am going to pick me up one soon.

ithaca_deerslayer
02-20-2009, 06:50
got the wife a rem 700 adl for x-mas she loves it but did state she thinks it is as much gun as she would want. i shot it and it is smooth not harsh recoil.

caliber?

vafish
02-20-2009, 07:15
One thought on reducing recoil.

Remington (and probably other now) makes a line of "Managed Recoil" ammunition. Their .30-06 version fires a 125 gr bullet and makes my bolt action rifles kick about like a lever action .30-30. My 12 year old son who is rather small for his age enjoys shooting my .30-06's with that load.

They have reduced recoil loads available in quite a few chamberings.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/centerfire/managed-Recoil.asp

Another option is to handload. I have an old Remington 722 in .300 Savage, it fires a 150 gr bullet at about 2,700 fps. Very mild shooting. I like the round so much I've started loading my .30-06 ammo to similar levels. Shot on deer around here are close so I don't think I'm giving up anything in performance.

Either of those options would allow her to get a .30-06, and if it kicks too much you have a lower recoil option.

luv2brode
02-20-2009, 22:50

sorry it is a 308. she to has commented on the weight, i told her thats what bipods and shooting sticks are for. she took her first deer last year and is hooked.

Mrs.Cicero
02-21-2009, 07:28
my only thoughts are that using a rifle at the range and using it to hunt with don't equal the same rifle... i want the rifle I hunt with to be LIGHT, LIGHT, LIGHT - I hate hauling some big, heavy, awkward boomstick 10+ miles over rough terrain during the course of a hunt. I want something light for that. (Love that Featherweight). For cheap practice at the range, a little Ruger 10-22 For more expensive practice and 3gun shoots, etc, the AR. And for the longrange stuff, I liberate Mr.C's Rem700 - which I sure don't want to carry anywhere, but which is really FUN to shoot. The one issue I've had with nearly every rifle has been the stock length. It's a pain to find off the shelf the right length. I like the adjustable on the AR. Youth models sometimes fit better. Lots of the regular ones are too long and don't usually have the high comb i need for a decent cheek weld...

Mrs.C

Yellowfin
02-23-2009, 14:31
If you get her a Browning with the BOSS, it'll kick considerably less. It's a muzzle break and barrel tuning attachment. I shot one in 7mm Mag and it didn't bother me at all.

countryrebel
03-14-2009, 19:03
Tikka T3 lite, awsome gun. I have one in 243 and it is a tack driver. My wife really likes it. Guaranteed accuracy and has a great trigger. Lite weight.

striker6126
03-15-2009, 14:05
My wife and daughter (both only slightly larger) than your gf use a savage 110 30 06 for hunting . I would suggest the wood stock for less recoil . Their wood stock 3036 has much less than my synthetic stock .

labdwakin
04-17-2009, 07:52
Here's the 30-06 I built my little brother. The stock really slowed down the recoil... just a thought. You can find heavier thumbhole stocks for common rifles for about 250 or so that aren't a big deal to fit.

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u331/labdwakin/Danielsgun.jpg