Question about NoVA [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about NoVA

jnojr
02-19-2009, 17:02
My employer's main office is in Reston. What major military bases are there in that general area? One of them is almost certainly where I'd be working. What cities / neighborhoods roughly around there are good or bad?

KY Moose
02-19-2009, 19:49
My employer's main office is in Reston. What major military bases are there in that general area? One of them is almost certainly where I'd be working. What cities / neighborhoods roughly around there are good or bad?

Major bases around NoVA are Fort Myer, Fort Belvoir, Pentagon, Bolling AFB, Andrews AFB, Navy Yard in DC, Quantico MCB, and a few smaller installations here and there.

Keep in mind that traffic in the area is horrible during rush hour. If you plan on renting, then I would suggest somewhere near the facility that you will be working. As for buying a home, you get more for your buck in Western Fairfax County, Prince William County, and Loudoun County. If you will be working out of the Reston office, then Loudoun County around Ashburn, Leesburg, and South Riding would be good areas, even Prince William County on the Western side of Manassas.

IMHO, stay out of Maryland if at all possible. Virginia has less crime and shall issue CCW license.

watsoncb
02-19-2009, 21:10
Not all DOD support contractors work on the bases. Many DOD and Civilian offices are embedded in the office parks located all across the Washington metro area. Especially in northern VA.

As KY Moose explained traffic is the big challenge. It can take hours to cover just a couple of miles at certain times of the day, anytime it even looks like snow and when the winter holidays come.

The worst places in northern VA are the McLean Tysons Corner, the I-95/I-395 and I-66 corridors. At the moment, you can get some decent deals on a home... but that will not last long around here.

vafish
02-20-2009, 07:20
Agree with the above,

Ask your employer where you will be working. Try to get as close to that as possible.

MavsX
02-20-2009, 09:23
Yeah man, Maryland has some crazy gun control laws...

I live in Arlington, VA. about 1 mile from the pentagon. Traffic definitely sucks sometimes.

gtrcivic
02-23-2009, 07:22
i'd suggest to find out where your work location will be and then find a place to live thats less than 30min commute (which means 20 miles or less from where your work is). I live 22 miles from work and takes 30 min or so only because i'm driving against morning rush hr traffic on FFx County Parkway from Loudoun.

John Spartan
02-23-2009, 07:41
Everyone is spot on with finding out where you are to work first... Then looking for somewhere to live not more than 30 min away... Enjoy the traffic!

zeker2
02-27-2009, 08:54
What ever you do, try to use public transportation to avoid the traffic. The Virginia Railway Express (VRE) is an options if you live and work within reasonable distance from a stations. Several VRE stations are near Metro stations so a combination of both VRE and Metro might work for you. If your employer gives a subsidy for using public transportation (as the Fed Gov't does) it can be sweet deal.

watsoncb
02-28-2009, 20:31
zeher2.... you ought to explain slug lines to him too....