Arlington County Gun Registration ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Arlington County Gun Registration ?

MavsX
02-20-2009, 09:29
Hey, I just wanted to post a quick thread about Arlington County.

I live in Arlington County.(between Courthouse and Rosslyn) I am well aware about the state laws regarding open carry and about CCW. I just wanted to inquire about if there were any local county laws/ordinances that supercede any state laws. I just wanted to know if i needed to register my Glock with Arlington County or the Arlington County Police/Sheriffs ?

I want to be safe, and more importantly, i want to be legal. I went to arlingtonva.us, but didn't see anything usefull.

Thanks for your input.

MavsX

KY Moose
02-20-2009, 10:31
Hey, I just wanted to post a quick thread about Arlington County.

I live in Arlington County.(between Courthouse and Rosslyn) I am well aware about the state laws regarding open carry and about CCW. I just wanted to inquire about if there were any local county laws/ordinances that supercede any state laws. I just wanted to know if i needed to register my Glock with Arlington County or the Arlington County Police/Sheriffs ?

I want to be safe, and more importantly, i want to be legal. I went to arlingtonva.us, but didn't see anything usefull.

Thanks for your input.

MavsX

The Commonwealth's laws trump local ordinances. There is no firearms registry requirements in the Commonwealth. Now, if Arlington, Alexandria, and Fairfax had their ways, I'm sure it would be a different story.

MavsX
02-20-2009, 10:32
Oh, okay so the state laws supercede any local laws...gotcha...

So i have nothing to worry about? As long as i get my ccw.. i am good to go ?

KY Moose
02-20-2009, 13:52
Oh, okay so the state laws supercede any local laws...gotcha...

So i have nothing to worry about? As long as i get my ccw.. i am good to go ?

Nothing to worry about other than Arlington County is full of liberals and the majority of the residents are not pro-2nd Amendment and I'm sure the same is true for the majority of the county police officers.

You should be good to go once you have your CCW. Although open carry is legal in the Commonwealth, I don't recommend it, atleast not in Arlington and Fairfax Counties, or Alexandria City. Concealed and discreet is the way to go.

MavsX
02-20-2009, 13:58
Okay. Thanks for the info moose. Yeah, i actually don't plan on ever open carrying or carrying concealed. I just want to have the permit. Thanks again man

jimmz
02-21-2009, 21:32
thanks for the info

Hokie
02-21-2009, 22:02
You should be good to go once you have your CCW. Although open carry is legal in the Commonwealth, I don't recommend it, atleast not in Arlington and Fairfax Counties, or Alexandria City. Concealed and discreet is the way to go.

I live in Fairfax county and have yet to have a problem when I OC. And remember the Restaurant ban OC is the only legal way to carry in a ABC on restaurant.

MavsX
02-22-2009, 12:31
I live in Fairfax county and have yet to have a problem when I OC. And remember the Restaurant ban OC is the only legal way to carry in a ABC on restaurant.

thanks hokie, and what you mean, is that if you are in a restaurant or a place that sells/serves alcohol, you must be open carrying...not concealed carry.

just wanted to clarify what you said

Hokie
02-22-2009, 14:17
Here is the code section

J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

The law only states that you can not carry concealed, OC is fine unless the owner does not want you to carry on their property.

http://www.vcdl.org/letters/ABC_Letter.pdf

MavsX
02-22-2009, 16:13
thanks for those links

user
02-22-2009, 17:09
...I just wanted to inquire about if there were any local county laws/ordinances that supercede any state laws....

No, never. The county is a municipal corporation that, as a creature of the Commonwealth, is subject to whatever rules, and has whatever powers, the Commowealth chooses to provide for its governance. As such, it functions as an arm of the Commonwealth, and can never do anything beyond the charter and the general law.

gtrcivic
02-23-2009, 07:19
Arlington county is very antigun as well as Fairfax. Only place i know that is gun friendly is Loudoun County. Fairfax got in trouble years ago by delaying CCW issues and holding past 90 days.

KY Moose
02-23-2009, 09:07
Arlington county is very antigun as well as Fairfax. Only place i know that is gun friendly is Loudoun County.

He's right. Loudoun County is much better than the other NoVA counties/cities. IMHO, the Loudoun Sheriff's Dept. handles CCW issues and the 2nd Amendment a lot better than the others.

MavsX
02-23-2009, 11:04
so once i apply for my ccw through the arlington county courthouse...how long will that take? I take it, that 90 days is too long huh?

John Spartan
02-23-2009, 11:15
This will help you... http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

alien-Glocker
02-23-2009, 14:31
how long will that take?

It will take 45-days max, its the law. If the Circuit Court does not issue you your CHP in 45 days, then they must issue a temporary permit--just show them your receipt from when you submitted your application.

MavsX
02-23-2009, 17:50
It will take 45-days max, its the law. If the Circuit Court does not issue you your CHP in 45 days, then they must issue a temporary permit--just show them your receipt from when you submitted your application.

genius

MavsX
02-23-2009, 17:51
This will help you... http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

thanks for that link too

Hokie
02-23-2009, 20:48
I do not know about Arlington but Fairfax took all of the 45 days to issue mine.

Olivers_AR
02-23-2009, 21:13
+1 on 45 days for Fairfax.

For more info about open carry see http://www.opencarry.org under the VA forum. Fairfax is not as OC unfriendly as folks make it out to be, the VCDL dinner was held in Fairfax. The activities are a great way to learn or start OC in a group environment.
I do not know about Arlington but Fairfax took all of the 45 days to issue mine.

John Spartan
02-24-2009, 03:43
thanks for that link too

Np...

TruePatriot13
02-24-2009, 08:07
I'm in spotsyvania County, just outside of Fredericksburg, and all involved in my CCP were wonderful to work with. Was mailed to me, didn't have to go pick-up at the Courthouse like many counties. Had it in my hands in less than 15 days!

Messer
02-24-2009, 11:42
And since nobody has said it yet - go here, and sign up for the VCDL Alerts (http://www.vcdl.org/static/va-alert.html)!

The alerts will keep you up to date on what gun issues are going on all around the state. They also make it it easy to contact your elected officials.

If your permit takes longer than 45 days, and the county gives you the run around, let the VCDL know about it.

Take care,
Bob S.

MavsX
02-24-2009, 11:54
And since nobody has said it yet - go here, and sign up for the VCDL Alerts (http://www.vcdl.org/static/va-alert.html)!

The alerts will keep you up to date on what gun issues are going on all around the state. They also make it it easy to contact your elected officials.

If your permit takes longer than 45 days, and the county gives you the run around, let the VCDL know about it.

Take care,
Bob S.

+1 thanks man. This thread is snowballing!

gtrcivic
02-26-2009, 10:52
15 days in loudoun for my renewal. And they even mailed it to me (which i didn't have to pay postage).

MavsX
02-27-2009, 08:39
i took my ccw class last night. I got all the paperwork ready to go. I just have to stop by the sheriffs office to get a fingerprint card made. But i can only do that from M-THRS 130pm to 330pm...pretty crappy hours if you ask me

G30Jack
02-27-2009, 09:17
I think my permit was 21 days door to door in Loudoun County.

MavsX
02-27-2009, 21:42
i'm going monday afternoon. that is when arlington county does fingerprints....i spent several hours getting all the paperwork together...its ridiculous!

MavsX
03-02-2009, 14:46
okay just got back. Turned in my permit. There were like 3 other guys doing the same thing when i was there..and i was only there for 10 minutes! The lady at the Sheriff's office and the clerk of courts said lots of people are getting their ccw's, and that it is really busy..The clerk of courts said 45 days..and they would call me...she said i could just go and pick it up..

anyway, thanks to all for their help.

RandySmith
03-03-2009, 21:24
The Commonwealth's laws trump local ordinances. There is no firearms registry requirements in the Commonwealth. Now, if Arlington, Alexandria, and Fairfax had their ways, I'm sure it would be a different story.

Virginia does have a firearm registration law but it is only for machine guns. They must be registered with the state police within 24 hours of acquisition.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-295

Randy

MavsX
04-08-2009, 20:13
Alright, i got a phone call today. My ccw permit will be ready tomorrow 4-9-09. Not bad.

Looks like it took 39 days. Including weekends. I turned in all my stuff on 3-2-09.

MavsX FTW!

jimmz
04-08-2009, 21:09
Alright, i got a phone call today. My ccw permit will be ready tomorrow 4-9-09. Not bad.

Looks like it took 39 days. Including weekends. I turned in all my stuff on 3-2-09.

MavsX FTW!

Contgrats! I should get mine in the next 30 days.

MavsX
04-09-2009, 07:47

thanks dude. Hey, i tried calling you last night.

Anybody know if it is against the law to laminate your ccw card ? From what i've seen, the card is like a do it yourself paper card. Any thoughts ?

MavsX
04-09-2009, 07:48

then we can go walk around Clarendon together. :rofl:

Aroooo
04-09-2009, 10:02
Anybody know if it is against the law to laminate your ccw card ? From what i've seen, the card is like a do it yourself paper card. Any thoughts ?

According to the folks at the Fairfax County Courthouse, laminating it - once signed - is okay

MavsX
04-09-2009, 10:24
According to the folks at the Fairfax County Courthouse, laminating it - once signed - is okay

excellent. Thanks. I will of course check with the people at Arlington courts...

Goaltender66
04-09-2009, 11:28
MavsX, did Arlington county require you to get fingerprinted before you could complete your CHP application? If so, that's a huge no-no on the part of Arlington County, as there is no authorization for a fingerprint requirement in state law.

MavsX
04-09-2009, 14:59
MavsX, did Arlington county require you to get fingerprinted before you could complete your CHP application? If so, that's a huge no-no on the part of Arlington County, as there is no authorization for a fingerprint requirement in state law.

Yeah. Everything was done at the Arlington County Courthouse which is like 13 or 15 story's tall. The 9th floor is where the Sheriff's office is. You take all your crap to them, show it to them. all your copies of paperwork. Get 2 sets of fingerprints done there, by one of the deputies. Then take everything down to the 6th floor clerk of courts office and hand them the stuff..pay $50 bucks. And wait......45 days later you get a call to come pick up your permit, so you do and there it is...

hope that helps

StarfoxHowl
04-09-2009, 15:21

This is the same Fairfax County that has county police officers go into restaurants, pull customers outside, gives them a sobriety check and then arrests them for being DIP should they not pass the time consuming and exacting process?

Or did that policy change?

Goaltender66
04-10-2009, 06:31
Yeah. Everything was done at the Arlington County Courthouse which is like 13 or 15 story's tall. The 9th floor is where the Sheriff's office is. You take all your crap to them, show it to them. all your copies of paperwork. Get 2 sets of fingerprints done there, by one of the deputies. Then take everything down to the 6th floor clerk of courts office and hand them the stuff..pay $50 bucks. And wait......45 days later you get a call to come pick up your permit, so you do and there it is...

hope that helps

There is no authority for any county to require fingerprints. It's a measure by Arlington County to add a layer of hassle onto the process.

If you haven't already, contact the Virginia Citizens Defense Leage (www.vcdl.org) and join. :) Then contact Philip van Cleave through the website and let him know about your experience. I know he's been battling counties for a long time about garbage like this, and eventually he prevails.

Also, they cannot require you to pick up your permit in person. They can mail it to you.

Let me give you my experience in getting my CHP....

I live in Fairfax County. I downloaded the application, completed it, and took it to my local bank for notarization. I then took copies of my property tax bills (to show residency) along with my Navy discharge paperwork and dropped it all off at the Fairfax County courthouse with my check. The lady behind the counter checked everything for completeness while I was there, and said thank you very much.

About 15-20 days later I received my CHP in the mail.

If a county is flouting state law on the issuing of CHPs, they need to be held accountable, and VCDL can help do it.

MavsX
04-10-2009, 08:27
http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/ClerkofCircuitCourt/CivilCourt/page64985.aspx

here is the requirements..and it lists on there fingerprint cards.

I mean, i didn't have a bad experience with doing it. Everybody was polite, professional and nice. I think the fingerprints are a bit of a hassle, but nothing to complain about. I mean i am carrying a firearm.

I mean, i realize what you're saying..state law says they don't require a fiingerprint card right? I guess, i didn't think it was that big of a deal..so....why complain ?

Goaltender66
04-10-2009, 08:55
I say complain because at the margin, someone who does NOT want to go through the hassle is effectively denied the right to carry concealed because of an Arlington County practice which is, not to put too fine a point on it, illegal.

It may not be a hassle for you. What about someone who can't spend hours at the courthouse because of work? Or someone for whom transportation is a problem? Shall issue and preemption is supposed to keep counties from imposing their own restrictions on things, and if a county is thumbing their nose at the law then they need to be called on it.

I understand if it wasn't that big of a hassle for you (and it sounds like it wasn't, so fair point), but it may be for someone else. We're all in this together, right?

ETA: Here are the state requirements which, due to preemption, do not allow Arlington County to add their own...

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

stooxie
04-10-2009, 11:08
FWIW the Fairfax County sheriff seems to have no problems signing off on Form 4s, too. A bit off topic but shows that Fairfax is not that bad with 2A. Yes, it adds 4 weeks onto the process but at least they do it!

-Stooxie

dbrowne1
04-10-2009, 14:16
There is no authority for any county to require fingerprints. It's a measure by Arlington County to add a layer of hassle onto the process.

State law says that they're allowed to require prints (at least for an initial application) if they want to. Most localities do, and to reiterate, yes they are allowed to do it.

MavsX
04-10-2009, 16:20
well that solves it

Hokie
04-10-2009, 16:39
This is the same Fairfax County that has county police officers go into restaurants, pull customers outside, gives them a sobriety check and then arrests them for being DIP should they not pass the time consuming and exacting process?

Or did that policy change?

I have never had a problem with any officer, other may have but I have not.

fiveOH302
07-12-2009, 16:54
I am on day 44 right now for my CCW, and was wondering what I should do if it goes past 45 days. Not sure if I friendly call or email would work, or if I need to go in personally.

Olivers_AR
07-12-2009, 18:21
I would call and say that your coming in on day 45 for your temporary permit since they had 45 days to run the background and allow or deny. They should take your original paperwork and sign it, it acts like a permit with your ID until they allow or deny it.

I also would let VCDL know what's happening and make sure they are aware of what's going on. The county may "magically" find your paperwork, and if they start giving you grief, talk to the clerk of the court and mention that 45 days have passed and by law you are entitled to a temp permit.

I am on day 44 right now for my CCW, and was wondering what I should do if it goes past 45 days. Not sure if I friendly call or email would work, or if I need to go in personally.

fiveOH302
07-12-2009, 19:18
Thanks for the input, will let you know what happens.

fiveOH302
07-17-2009, 05:56
Day 49

I heard back from the county, and I was told the following:

"The Commonwealth's Attorney Office has not yet replied to your request for a conceal weapon permit."

Arlington Circuit Clerk's Office
Bonnie Johnson

I was looking at the VCDL and they gave me the street address of the Chief Justice
Supreme Court of Virginia to write in to. Is that the advice others were given?

RussP
07-17-2009, 07:13
Day 49

I heard back from the county, and I was told the following:

"The Commonwealth's Attorney Office has not yet replied to your request for a conceal weapon permit."

Arlington Circuit Clerk's Office
Bonnie Johnson

I was looking at the VCDL and they gave me the street address of the Chief Justice
Supreme Court of Virginia to write in to. Is that the advice others were given?Yes. Immediately send a letter to the Chief Justice, send a copy to Arlington, and notify VCDL of your problem.

The advice to walk into the Clerk's Office and ask for your temporary permit is good too.

:cool:

fiveOH302
07-30-2009, 18:56
Great day!! I got my conceal carry permit and heard my AR-15 came in!!!

Olivers_AR
07-31-2009, 05:07
Congrats!

Great day!! I got my conceal carry permit and heard my AR-15 came in!!!

9mmkungfu
07-31-2009, 06:47
Congrats! When I got my permit, it was in Prince William County. It took exactly 45 days total.

vafish
08-05-2009, 11:54
Arlington used to have a voluntary gun registry, supposedly so they could help you get your guns back if they were ever stolen. (yeah right)

It's no longer listed on their web site.