Deadly Office Chairs, Made in China - 1 killed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Deadly Office Chairs, Made in China - 1 killed

horge
02-20-2009, 22:57
Boy Killed When Office Chair Explodes (http://i.gizmodo.com/5157354/boy-killed-anally-when-office-chair-explodes)

:wow:

DragonEye
02-20-2009, 23:46
Must've been a very heavy 14 year old boy who probably butt-suplexed the chair from a height of 10 feet. But seriously, I can see how it can happen; it's a Mythbusters material.

9MX
02-21-2009, 07:09
Made in China products should have a label similar to cigarette packs:

"Warning, using China made products can be dangerous to your health"

And then there's a sample picture of what could happen.

cebuboy
02-21-2009, 09:56
That must have hurt...

bulm540
02-21-2009, 19:34
could have been laden with lead . Must have eaten mexican food the night before. Methane got trapped in chair plus static equals kaboom.

Javelin
02-21-2009, 19:38
Boy Killed Anally When Office Chair Explodes

Well, stories don't get much worse than this. A 14-year-old boy in China was killed when his chair exploded, sending chunks of metal into his rectum. The bleeding this caused killed him.

The alleged explosion came from the gas cylinder that was in the base of the chair, the part that allowed the user to adjust the seat up and down. The canister gets compressed when you sit on it, but can it actually create enough energy to make the seat cushion explode like that and kill a man? I doubt it, but this is what people are reporting.

Honestly, you don't see headlines like that very often. I mean talk about sitting in the hot seat.

atmarcella
02-23-2009, 00:19
americans cant do anything about it.... china just bought a ton of US treasury bills!

CatsMeow
02-23-2009, 01:06
Let's see, if some oil got into the cylinder and ignited as it was compressed, known I think as "dieseling", then perhaps that might have been the cause. I'm no engineer, perhaps some on this forum can comment.

I bought a US surplus executive chair (made in Taiwan) and used it for several years, no problem at all.

Texas357
02-23-2009, 09:17
I remember in the '90s, beer was becoming popular in China, and the Chinese bottlers weren't making glass bottles to the same standards as the rest of the world (plus the beer quality control was spotty, leading some beers to be fizzier and have more pressure than others.) The result? A running tally of how many Chinese were maimed or killed by exploding beer bottles.

This story, however, is painful to think about