Freeware that looks for dead links in Bookmarks? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Freeware that looks for dead links in Bookmarks?

NRA_guy
02-21-2009, 04:22
Does anybody know of any freeware that will look at all my Bookmarks and identify the dead links?

I have tons of links bookmarked, and I get tired of clicking on one only to find that it no longer works.

Sgt. Schultz
02-21-2009, 07:43
Here you go ...

http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm

Sgt. Schultz
02-21-2009, 09:13
I haven’t used AM-DeadLink since I upgraded Firefox to version 3 and I discovered that this program only works with the latest version of FF with this work around …

“Unfortunately there is no direct way to check Firefox 3 bookmarks in AM-DeadLink.

Firefox 3 uses a database to store bookmarks instead of a single file (bookmarks.html) as it was in Firefox 2.x. AM-DeadLink can only check this bookmarks.html file.

But it's possible to export your Firefox 3 bookmarks to a single bookmarks.html file and re-import it after it was processed by AM-DeadLink.

If you re-import the file bookmarks.html into Firefox 3 you would end up with lots of duplicate bookmarks. You have to delete the old bookmarks in Firefox 3 before importing the checked bookmarks.”

…. This works but perhaps someone else here has a better program.

NRA_guy
02-22-2009, 04:14
Thanks. Looks good. I recalled having seen reference to software like this years ago but never really needed it until lately.

I, too, run FF 3.0. But I also run IE 6.0; so I will try it there.

I might even do the FF 3.0 bookmarks export-->cleanup-->import thing.

Thanks again.