Lessons Learned at the Range Today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Learned at the Range Today

KYMike
02-21-2009, 18:00
So I ran out to Bud's this afternoon. I decided to have a little fun. I haven't been to the range nearly enough lately (as evidenced by my performance with the Airweight 38). Anyway....

I learned a few things while I was there. :)
1) Bud's does a great job with CCDW classes. Instead of tying up all 8 lines on a Saturday with qualifications, they only ran two lanes for the class and had the rest of the students line up OUTSIDE the range during quals. (Well done!)

2) It doesn't take much to clog up the aisles between the range doors and the register when you have 20 bored people standing around.

3) The mall ninjas with their H&K's and zombie targets snicker when they see the cardboard on lane 7 roll back with a bunch of paper plates stapled to it.

3a) Electronic muffs are WONDERFUL for hearing mall ninjas snicker and comment up to 5 lanes away.

3b) Mall ninjas snicker even more loudly when they see the guy in lane 7 pull out two wheelguns.

3c) Most snickers stop immediately upon putting 5 38s in the center of plate #1.

3d) Comments of "Anyone could do that with THAT ancient POS" drift over the wall quite well (see 3a).

3e) Mall ninjas stop and ask if one of the CCDW students blew something up when you fire a 357 Magnum after getting them acclimated to 38s.

4) All hell breaks loose when you fire a cylinder full of full-house 357's from a 2.25" barrel.

5) Mall ninjas don't make nasty comments when the guy in lane 7 puts a 4-6 foot ball of fire downrange, 125 gr. JSPs in the center of the plate, and the blast from the muzzle blows the targets on lanes 6-8 around wildly like a hurricane was coming through.

6) Half of CCDW students are easily startled by 357s from a 2.25" barrel a few lanes over.

6a) The other half ask if they can come to Lane 7 and see what HE has.

7) My wife later informed me the 357 got as many comments and questions on the shop side of the windows as it did on the range side.

8) Being the old cooter with the wheelguns is a lot of fun.

9) I need to get out more, I'm far too easily amused.

I think I need to do that again really soon. This snub 357 has really put the excitement back in shooting for me. I can draw the Glocks and put a mag-full on the plate all day long, but this fire-breather's really a hoot.

Indoor range rules and overzealous RO's generally make doing anything but monotonous paper-punching a no-no. (Training from concealment, more than one round every 2 seconds, multiple targets? You can't be serious. You act like this is a shooting range or something.) And I guess in this day of 9's, 40's, 380's, and watered down Cowboy loads for the wheelguns ruling the roost, and even 45's being rare on the line, it's easy to forget what fun the old-school Magnums really are.

Sure, I could do the same (to an even greater degree) with a nice Ruger or Colt single-action in 44Mag or 45LC, but at least this is still relavent self-defense work...and affordable (relatively) to boot!

This is my way to put the fun of shooting back into...well...shooting. And all within the rules. But guys, just call me before you take your 454 Alaskan or your S&W 500 or 460 out to Bud's....you'll steal all my "thunder." :)

Dean
02-21-2009, 19:08
Sure feels good to be an American Badass, don't it? Ol' Rock was onto something there. :drillsgt:

B+Shooter
02-22-2009, 21:51
I can't remember where, but I think it was CCDW class, or NRA instructor class, or somewhere else, but I was told that I couldn't bring a magnum gun because it scared the other shooters on the line. (if the only thing they shoot is a POS .22 for qual, you don't think that they'll drop the .357 airweight in terror the first time it erupts?) I'm not advocating "scare 'em into confidence!", but people need to appreciate that the gun does cause noise and flash!:dunno:

Texas357
02-23-2009, 07:28
I can't remember where, but I think it was CCDW class, or NRA instructor class, or somewhere else, but I was told that I couldn't bring a magnum gun because it scared the other shooters on the line. (if the only thing they shoot is a POS .22 for qual, you don't think that they'll drop the .357 airweight in terror the first time it erupts?) I'm not advocating "scare 'em into confidence!", but people need to appreciate that the gun does cause noise and flash!:dunno:

You can qualify with a .22? In TX, you have to qualify with at least a .38 or 9mm.... (but you can carry the .22 if you want).

Berretta9
02-23-2009, 08:40

May have had more to do with the range back stop. I know the old Sportshooters and Bluegrass do not allow magnums punching the backstop. I guess it takes more of a toll on it. I teach a lot of my classes at the Jefferson County Sportsmans Club and we don't allow magnums either, for the same reason. I have heard of one guy who requires you to use a .22 because he feels it easier to get them qualified. Sad thing is, the test is really too easy.

KYgundoc
02-23-2009, 09:01

Maybe I am missing the point here but not every shooter is as skilled as the next and most are just trying to get better in there own way. A new shooter in an indoor range will be intimidated by the flash and noise from a 2" magnum snub Hell I am now. I think what I got from the NRA instructor class back in the 80's but still true today is confidence building starting with a .22 and working up. A point brought home when training the tax staff at the Sherriffs office to qualify. Most had 2" revolvers and the issue ammo was 158 grain remington JHP +P. None could hit the black of a b27 target past 7 yards. I ended up doing some remedial work with them and a few others that were in the same shape. Light loaded wad cutter ammo got them confident and then they passed qualifacation with the +P ammo. And yes even the mall nija types get over it eventualy by hanging around ranges long enough and learning by example from good shooter hitting paper plates at 25 yards.

B+Shooter
02-23-2009, 10:02
I understand the concept of building students up using a .22, but the NRA also has a "sensory deprivation" drill to develop confidence with larger calibers. I love my Sig Mosquito/10-22/ciener kit for skill building. I've also heard about ranges who don't allow magnums, because when I had a .357 Sig some ranges banned the gun because of the fact that it was .357", and another didn't say anything because the word "magnum" didn't follow, even though it's supposed to be ballistically similar to a .357 Magnum.

As far as keeping certain pistols out of CCDW classes, I would like some other accommodation, such as firing last or something. An instructor who qualifies a new shooter with a borrowed .22 is setting that student up for failure later on. I don't have a good solution, I guess the students need to take some personal responsibility in seeking further instruction, but that probably won't happen. I just don't like being told I can't bring a defensive caliber to a class when that might be the only option available to me.

This would be a nightmare, but I like what many police departments do. They'll have an officer qualify with whatever guns they will carry, including backup guns. In fact, I thought some state did that now?

seanmcp
03-01-2009, 19:02
I'm all in favor of folks starting on a .22 and working their way up. The fundamentals are the same; grip, stance, sights, smooth squeeze, etc. And you can work your way up the chain pretty easily, and end up being a great shooter (I'm not one of them). Some of the folks I've known over the years who *are* great shooters started w/ .22's, and learned the important bits, w/o ever 'fearing the gun' when it comes to an induced flinch, fireball startlement, etc. I like wheelguns and fire breathers, too, but IMO that doesn't displace or dismiss the usefullness of lighter caliber guns for quite a few shooters, especially the novice shooters.