Who's a great firearms instructor in Naples, FL? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who's a great firearms instructor in Naples, FL?

Norman
02-22-2009, 07:02
My mother wants to take a basic handgun course in Naples, FL that will also qualify for her Concealed Weapons Permit. I want someone with real experience, who is a good coach, and works well with females. Someone with some patience who will not make a woman with lots of questions feel dumb. Someone who can take a startled newbie who really knows very, very little if anything about handguns and at least make them feel confident enough to protect their lives with one. I don't want a crappy 6 hour course with lots of classroom and no range time. I prefer a 2 day weekend course with lots of shooting for her.

GlockTalk, please come through for me with some contacts. Who's great in Naples, FL for this kind of thing?

Thank you guys very much.

DannyR
02-22-2009, 07:14
Bravo for your Mom. Check a few reputable local gun stores for recommendations. Wish I could be more help.

Norman
02-22-2009, 07:34
Bravo for your Mom. Check a few reputable local gun stores for recommendations. Wish I could be more help.

Hey Danny, unfortunately I'm not anywhere near Naples. And I don't necessarily want to call the stores down there, because most likely they'll offer me their own class, and not a third party who may be best.

Just hoping someone might know somebody that is top notch in that area.

I'm glad she's thinking about it, myself.

DannyR
02-22-2009, 08:33
Perhaps there is an indoor range within reasonable driving distance, a range that has a NRA Certified pistol instructor.

ede
02-22-2009, 08:49
pete straub is in NW FL, not sure where naples is. he goes by Pharaoh on here. if nothing else send him a PM and ask him to recommend someone if he isn't located near your mother.

Flexmoney
02-22-2009, 10:02
http://www.frankgarciausa.com/

Norman
02-22-2009, 10:23
http://www.frankgarciausa.com/

After checking out his website, I'm pretty sure that is definitely NOT what I'm looking for, at least not for my mother.

Sticky Grips
02-22-2009, 22:22
There is a woman that my father knows a little bit north that has a great womens ccw course from top to bottom. PM me for details

Ben34105
02-22-2009, 22:32
I live in Naples. Go to Mobile Tactics on Marco Island. Ask for Mike, he's the owner and a former cop. Walt and Nate also work there and are good. It's a great little gun shop and range. It's the only range I'll go to. They aren't a bunch of hot heads waiting to shoot the first person who walks on their lawn.

They have a variety of guns to shoot and they help you pick the right weapon system based on your needs. They got my fiancee hooked on the Ruger GP100 and I bought her one for her b-day. They won't lead you wrong.

They offer CCW classes a few times a week and have a small class size of only 3 or 4. The class is about 3 hours long and they go over everything from how a bullet works to the law. They also have a pistol safety class for $50 that is very good. The small range size allows for lots of 1 on 1 instruction.

If you need any more info send me a PM. Their website is www.mobiletactics.com Tell them Ben sent you.

Norman
02-23-2009, 06:06
Ben, I'll look into that. Thank you.

Sticky Grips, PM sent.

Flexmoney
02-24-2009, 06:49
After checking out his website, I'm pretty sure that is definitely NOT what I'm looking for, at least not for my mother.

Interesting.

I'm curious, what turned you off?

Norman
02-24-2009, 13:49
Interesting.

I'm curious, what turned you off?

To be honest, it seems a little more advanced, oriented towards the high speed types, military, law enforcement, etc. Nowhere on there do I get that sensation of "this would be just the right thing for my mother". It's too tactical. And I certainly don't want my mother in a class where she feels afraid to ask questions because everyone else gets it and she doesn't. And it's too expensive.

I hope that was honest enough.

Norman
02-24-2009, 13:51
I apologize for not having answered a few of the PM's that have been sent recently. I intend to look into some of your recommendations and get back to you... life has just been busy on my end. Thank you and I'll be writing back soon.

Flexmoney
02-24-2009, 15:23
Cool, thanks. :)

rugerp95
03-01-2009, 14:07
try fowler firearms 3865 fowler st in ft.myers they sell guns and have an indoor range and offer classes ladies night is thur in naples there is
century arms 347 airport rd in back of plaza there is also
wayne berquist 5760 shirley st naples
In ft.myers there is also the lee county gun range run by lee county sheriff in lehigh the teacher here is sprice@sherifflee.org he is an officer who trains officers
he seems like a nice guy