Tunnel vision [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel vision

theTactician
02-22-2009, 06:49
Have you guys experienced what shooters call a tunnel vision (not the tunnel vision among glaucoma patients) during a night shoot? I did just a few nights ago during our tactical seminar night simulation in chino. This is interesting for me considering its my first time to ever do an IDPA like tactical shoot in pitch black darkness using only a tactical light. Fun Factor? highly recommended...Tough? you bet...
the set up we had was a tough one where you have to negotiate a lot of barricades in an open range, with strobe lights flashing to disorient the shooters and we have to clear every corner before you move to the next one. sounds easy? its hard specially at night. We had to turn off the light during movement and after we make the shots and its pitch black. And you know how our eyes adapt in the dark. the rods(night vision) in our eyes doesnt discern color and detail as much as our cones(day vision) do and it takes about a few minutes before our rods completely reach its full potential again once a bright light turns off.
Shot placement is easy once you turn on the light and you get a good sight picture. And we have to do tactical negotiation of corners both right and left where we pie-out and shoot as soon as a threat represents itself. This is where tunnel vision comes in... I thought i already neutralized all the steel poppers, head poppers and paper targets in a room but i missed a couple of head poppers that were hidden in that room. I was surprised but considering that its pitch black, moonless night and with the strobe lights flashing, it can induce tunnel vision. My instructor said, that it was just a simulation but in real life if you fail to neutralize one target it could mean the difference between winning and losing .
They told us that we have to practice at night too, in our own homes, in pitch dark, and of course with an unloaded gun (safety first)so we can be familiar with clearing every corner of our own house, get used to using our tactical lights to get a good sight picture. it may save our lives, who knows?...right?

just my 2 cents worth.

De Angelo
02-22-2009, 09:49
Have you guys experienced what shooters call a tunnel vision (not the tunnel vision among glaucoma patients) during a night shoot? I did just a few nights ago during our tactical seminar night simulation in chino. This is interesting for me considering its my first time to ever do an IDPA like tactical shoot in pitch black darkness using only a tactical light. Fun Factor? highly recommended...Tough? you bet...
the set up we had was a tough one where you have to negotiate a lot of barricades in an open range, with strobe lights flashing to disorient the shooters and we have to clear every corner before you move to the next one. sounds easy? its hard specially at night. We had to turn off the light during movement and after we make the shots and its pitch black. And you know how our eyes adapt in the dark. the rods(night vision) in our eyes doesnt discern color and detail as much as our cones(day vision) do and it takes about a few minutes before our rods completely reach its full potential again once a bright light turns off.
Shot placement is easy once you turn on the light and you get a good sight picture. And we have to do tactical negotiation of corners both right and left where we pie-out and shoot as soon as a threat represents itself. This is where tunnel vision comes in... I thought i already neutralized all the steel poppers, head poppers and paper targets in a room but i missed a couple of head poppers that were hidden in that room. I was surprised but considering that its pitch black, moonless night and with the strobe lights flashing, it can induce tunnel vision. My instructor said, that it was just a simulation but in real life if you fail to neutralize one target it could mean the difference between winning and losing .
They told us that we have to practice at night too, in our own homes, in pitch dark, and of course with an unloaded gun (safety first)so we can be familiar with clearing every corner of our own house, get used to using our tactical lights to get a good sight picture. it may save our lives, who knows?...right?

just my 2 cents worth.

sounds really interesting sir, it's a pity we dont have open ranges in our place at night..it would be really useful, specially like you said practicing going from a lighted place to a pitch dark one..