Coyotes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes

dictaearl
02-23-2009, 09:55
I understand we have a number of coyotes in the woods near my residential area. You can hear them at night. I walk in a wooded area frequently and was curious if there is a way to distinguish coyote tracks and droppings from large dog tracks and droppings? Any knowledge related to this would be greatly appreciated. Just like to know how active they may or may not be in my area.

jtull7
02-23-2009, 10:15
In the West, coyote scat is usually bright red. It is from something that they eat.

trlcavscout
02-23-2009, 10:36
Coyote scat usually has rabbit fur in it around here.

GeorgiaGlockMan
03-01-2009, 20:01
they are in your area.

Best way to tell for sure is a game cam.

Here is a pic of my friends's cat that only provided a snack for this coyote.

On this one, I'd say the poop will be black.

Sly9mm
03-07-2009, 18:14
prints are usually around the size of a medium-sized dog... really pronounced claws and you can sometimes make out the dew claws.... if it's a residential area w/ a lot of neighborhood dogs, GeorgiaGlockMan's right--a game cam's the only way to know what you've really got....

or, just do what i do--get a howler call and try to bring 'em in. Even if you can't call 'em in, you'll drive the neighborhood dogs nuts (it's great fun to get them all howling).

dictaearl
03-07-2009, 19:53
Thanks. Based on the number of tracks I see of similar size, I am pretty sure they are coyote but wasn't sure the best way to tell for sure. I guess a picture is worth a thousand words....or in this case tracks.

Peace Warrior
03-07-2009, 20:34
To me the tracks look exactly the same as a dog, but like others have commented, look at the scat. It looks like dog **** too, but it's what is in it that tells the tale. Out in the woods a few weeks ago, I found out several cats were missing from around an apartment complex Southwest of my town. They found 'yotes were the culprits.

I hate 'yotes!!! :steamed:

In the West, coyote scat is usually bright red. It is from something that they eat.
Ain't ya'll got that mesquite bush out there? I cook with it now and again and it makes pork ribs as red as that bright red crayon's color. Serious.
Even if you can't call 'em in, you'll drive the neighborhood dogs nuts (it's great fun to get them all howling).
:rofl: