I passed out Yesterday for the First time. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I passed out Yesterday for the First time.

Armchair Commando
02-23-2009, 13:39
I was doing Barbell Squats and going lighter weights with higher reps, On my last set i managed to get 315 for 25 Reps, As soon as i racked the weight and got out from under it i passed out (Literally) and fell straight back, Thank god my partner caught me and he said i was out for about 30 seconds. Anyone else ever have this happen to them, I've puked countless times but never passed out before.

ateamer
02-23-2009, 14:02
I did 315 for 20 reps once. Racked the weight, fell forward onto the floor, didn't quite pass out, but was as close as you can get. After a few minutes on the floor, I packed up my stuff, went home and went back to not doing ultrahigh reps.

DBradD
02-23-2009, 14:49
I've come pretty close to passing out right after quite a few conditioning workouts. After my 100 burpees PR attempt the other day, it was at least 3-4 min. before I could get off the floor and start walking around.

proactive
02-23-2009, 14:57
I've come really close from squatting on a few occasions. It's always been right after a high rep set. Good spotter you had there.

Small Tony
02-23-2009, 15:49
I was doing Barbell Squats and going lighter weights with higher reps, On my last set i managed to get 315 for 25 Reps, As soon as i racked the weight and got out from under it i passed out (Literally) and fell straight back, Thank god my partner caught me and he said i was out for about 30 seconds. Anyone else ever have this happen to them, I've puked countless times but never passed out before.

I never totally passed out but got extremely light headed to where I had to sit for a bit. In my opinion the squat excerise itself and the way you hold and exhale through out it may cause me to become light headed.

Sometimes when one is on that last failure set they hold their breath from the bottom until they rack it maybe not getting oxygen to the brain. I do that sometimes on my last failure set. I know I should breath out but......

California Jack
02-23-2009, 18:36
Take care of yourself TSK. Glad your OK.

Armchair Commando
02-23-2009, 19:09
Take care of yourself TSK. Glad your OK.

Thanks Bro.

BCR
02-24-2009, 01:52
I was doing Barbell Squats and going lighter weights with higher reps, On my last set i managed to get 315 for 25 .

I almost passed out reading this........:faint:

JimBianchi
02-24-2009, 02:04
Many many years ago I passed out during a super-set of leg presses and hack squats.

Good thing the hack machine had a safety bar in place!

PeterJasonMN
02-24-2009, 11:49
Yup, every time I've come to the edge it's always been squats as well.

edjee
02-24-2009, 13:46
I'm gonna keep this in mind when I do squats today.

Gamecock94
02-24-2009, 13:59
At least it was AFTER you racked the weight! Careful with that....at least you had a spotter. My guess is something to do with your breathing. If its consistent throughout the set and then you hold it just for a bit on the last rep or while racking it you could easily get that hyperventilating effect and go night-night. Did you buddy have some salts/ammonia to wake you up?

NoGo
02-24-2009, 21:08
Great push!!!

Granted, everyone's glad you were not injured, but still, that's a good hard push that worked your butt out. Everyone needs to push/ run/ exercise to the point of dropping or chucking once every so often.

I've done it via uphill windsprints with a rucksack- ate sand. Nearly done it with squats and press. I go directly to the bench if I feel it coming. Laying supine with knees bent and feet on the bench helps to ensure perfusion pressure to your noggin. On occasion, it can ruin me for the rest of the morning- feeling crappy and lightheaded for a while.

Agressive hydration is a must before the big, whole body lifts. If I'm even a little dry (I run before lifting), I'll get the pre-syncopal symptoms (woozies) after a heavy/ long set.

Atta boy on 315x25!

California Jack
02-24-2009, 21:18
I was hoping you'd chime in on this one NoGo. Thanks for the info.

TurboRocket
02-24-2009, 21:35
I passed out plenty in college, but for totally separate reasons.

I've yacked from working out but never passed out.

California Jack
02-24-2009, 21:38
I came really close once. I got really skinny training for a 100 mile bike race. I was riding 6xweekly probably 200 miles per week and going to the gym 3 to 4 times per week. Anyway, after a 25 mile ride I went to lift weights. I was doing back hypers. When I got of the machine everything went dark. I sat down really quickly so I wouldn't hit the floor.

DBradD
02-24-2009, 21:59
... I was doing back hypers. When I got of the machine everything went dark. I sat down really quickly so I wouldn't hit the floor.
I can really see that happening. I used to get light-headed and would see like though a tunnel right after back ext. during CF's "Michael" WOD. That's a few rounds of 800m run, situps, and back ext.

Detectorist
02-24-2009, 23:11
Feeling dizzy after exercise isn't uncommon. Regarding squats, while you're doing them your blood pressure goes up and your leg muscles help pump the blood back up to your upper body. However, when you suddenly stop, all that blood is still in your lower body and your brain sort of gets starved for a few seconds.

Same thing happens with running. Folks who run a lot know not to quit all of a sudden. They stop but keep on walking.

Gamecock94
02-25-2009, 13:26
I was a swimmer in college, so I've puked plenty in the gutters. Come close a few times to passing out in the pool (scary) doing no breather/lung capacity/underwater stuff. Those times are a MUST to have the coaches watching you.