What round to use? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What round to use?

Usingmyrights
02-23-2009, 14:44
What round would you use on bobcats? I'd like to have a mount so I want something to do as little damage as possible to the pelt. I've got 22lrs, 22mag, 17hmr, and a 270. I was thinking one of the rimfires and taking a careful shot, but don't want to wound one and have it run off. Also I heard about people calling them in. What calls do people use. I assume just a squirrel or rabbit in distress call would work, but I don't know.

noway
02-23-2009, 16:30
Will the obvious rimfire would do less damage than a CF round. How accurate is your setup and shot placement between the 3 listed rounds ?

I would assume the CF 270win would be more accurate and more so than the rimfires.

Usingmyrights
02-23-2009, 18:32
Will the obvious rimfire would do less damage than a CF round. How accurate is your setup and shot placement between the 3 listed rounds ?

I would assume the CF 270win would be more accurate and more so than the rimfires.

My 17 is a TH stock with a heavy barrel (Savage 93R17BTV), the 270 is a Rem 700CDL, the other two are a 10/22 and a Win 275. In order of accuracy with me pulling the trigger itd probably be the 17, 10/22, 700 and the 275. The first three are all pretty close though. I'm not worried about hitting one, I'm worried about having enough left for a decent mount after I hit one. I don't see any problem getting into the vitals with the rimfires. I'm just worried about the rimfire dropping one quickly

noway
02-23-2009, 20:25
My 17 is a TH stock with a heavy barrel (Savage 93R17BTV), the 270 is a Rem 700CDL, the other two are a 10/22 and a Win 275. In order of accuracy with me pulling the trigger itd probably be the 17, 10/22, 700 and the 275. The first three are all pretty close though. I'm not worried about hitting one, I'm worried about having enough left for a decent mount after I hit one. I don't see any problem getting into the vitals with the rimfires. I'm just worried about the rimfire dropping one quickly

Go with a 270win and FMJ if you local laws allows non-expanding round. That should drop a cat with ease and quickly.

mpol777
02-24-2009, 10:46
Of those I'd go for the .22 mag. The .17hmr will also work, but if you get the wrong bullet design you stand the chance of not penetrating. I don't have a hmr, but I've heard about folks having problems with certain bullets. The .22 mag will be just fine inside 100 yards. Use a good hollow point that you know works. A center punch shot is best, but behind the shoulder is good too. Just stay off the bone.

Calling, which other than trapping I don't know how to get a bobcat, is the same as calling a coyote, fox or other predator. The sound doesn't matter all that much. A rabbit will work just fine.

The trick is being someplace where there is a bobcat to call. I don't know much about Florida bobcat habitat. Around here you'll mostly find them on or near rocky hills, near stock tanks or another water source. You'll just have to scout, but should be able to find scat and scrapes. They are predators, so if there's a local chicken farmer, sheep rancher or farm with other small prey animals there might be one around stealing them. Bobcats aren't hard to call once you find where one is hanging out. They don't have a very large range and will stick to it. So if you call one in and don't get a shot, don't worry. Just head back in a few days and call it in again.

For a full mount talk to your taxidermist first to see how he wants it prepared. Since it sounds like you've never done this before see if he'll take the animal whole. Which is how many prefer it, but he'll charge you for the skinning, fleshing, etc. Better than wrecking things if you don't know what to do though. If you're going to do it whole, get it cooled down as soon as possible. Take it home and toss it straight into the freezer, after pictures of course.

I'd also suggest waiting until next winter. The fur is going out of prime this time of year. You'll be right on the edge and the last thing you want is slipped fur. So spend this time finding good spots to call and practice calling them in, but only shoot with a camera. They aren't that smart and you can call in the same cat a bunch of times if you want. Same thing for fox. Then when the fur primes you'll be ready to go.

This is one of the bobcats I took this year. He was murdering this lady's chickens so he had to go. They are pretty. Good luck.

Usingmyrights
02-24-2009, 12:15
I know there's at least one out there because I saw it last Nov. There's been sign as well around the area.

hagar
02-24-2009, 14:06
The 270 will either blow a large hole through it, or if you don't hit it in a vital spot with a solid bullet, will run off and leave you with a heck of a tracking job. I would recommend the 22 magnum loaded with the Winchester 34 grain hollow point bullets (SXT?). Friend of mine in AZ was THE cat caller in our hunting club, calling 5-10 yearly, and he shot them with a 22 mag with said bullets.

Usingmyrights
02-24-2009, 14:09
Sounds like the 22mag is the way to go. Time to pull out the ole Win 275.

CanyonMan
02-24-2009, 17:59
We are swarming with bobcats, and cougars here on the ranch. You can set on the porch and see BC's all the time in the evenings. 22mags kill them real well, BUT, a good 223, 22-250, 243, are real good choices..... ;)

Have fun.

CanyonMan