Open Carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry

SBG40
02-23-2009, 16:01
I would like to go to the horse's mouth with this one (lol), about open carry there in the bluegrass state, can you? and where?, i've been told many things about it, and most of what i've been told was good , i'm from Indpls. and plan to spend some time there and would like to come armed, my moto is "If you carry always carry " so here where we can do both open carry and concealed with your " License to Carry Handgun State Of Indiana" it would be nice to know if i can there in the spring and summer months aswell.

spork
02-23-2009, 16:44
Open carry is legal in Ky, with or without a permit.

Some people have stated that open carry may cause problems in some of the urbanized areas, but I don't have any firsthand accounts.

Gary G23
02-23-2009, 19:17
According to this post open carry was uneventful at a recent Louisville AR15.com dinner:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=27&t=346189

SBG40
02-23-2009, 21:03
Open carry is legal in Ky, with or without a permit.

Some people have stated that open carry may cause problems in some of the urbanized areas, but I don't have any firsthand accounts.

No way are you going to tell me that you can Open Carry in KY. without a permit or License , I know that if you do, you are sitting your self up for some jail time. the only state that allows you to carry with out a License or Permit is Vermont, and even there some towns have reportedly enacted concealed carry bans so check before you go there. In these trying and must dangerous times we live in, it is best that you get some type of Permit or License to carry, fore it is in every state that you go into that requires you to have one.

lordjim_2001
02-23-2009, 23:34
See the Kentucky Bill of Rights: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/legresou/Constitu/001.htm Specifically section 7.

Gary G23
02-24-2009, 06:22
http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html

Berretta9
02-24-2009, 06:37
You can open carry here without a CCDW license. There are without a question where you will be hasseled about it though. Your Indiana concealed carry license is good here so my question is why would you want to ( open carry) ? It seems to be more of a deal in Indiana.

spork
02-24-2009, 15:06
No way are you going to tell me that you can Open Carry in KY. without a permit or License , I know that if you do, you are sitting your self up for some jail time. the only state that allows you to carry with out a License or Permit is Vermont, and even there some towns have reportedly enacted concealed carry bans so check before you go there. In these trying and must dangerous times we live in, it is best that you get some type of Permit or License to carry, fore it is in every state that you go into that requires you to have one.

So, you come here to ask us what the carry laws are in Ky, but then you start telling us what you think the laws are?

Like the others have said, open carry is legal without a permit in Ky.

SBG40
02-25-2009, 13:59
So, you come here to ask us what the carry laws are in Ky, but then you start telling us what you think the laws are?

Like the others have said, open carry is legal without a permit in Ky.

NO, I DO KEEP UP WITH THE LAWS OF THE LAND ON WHERE YOU CAN CARRY AND CAN'T. And like I said before the only two states that allow you to carry without a CCW-Concealed Carry Weapon, CCP-Concealed Carry Permit, LCC-License To Carry Concealed,CWP-Concealed Weapon Permit, CWL- Concealed Weapon License, CCDW-Carry Concealed Deadly Weapon, and as we have here in Indiana LTCH-"License To Carry Handgun State Of Indiana" (as it reads), are Vermont, and Washington State BUT, what i will do just fore you is go check out the KY. codes and get back with you, until then "always check your front sites".

Berretta9
02-25-2009, 14:24
I don't know where you are getting the info from. Ky is perfectly o.k. to open carry. It's one of the reasons why the Brady Bill people rate us last or next to last in the country for gun control. You can even keep a loaded gun in the glove box of your car with out a CCDW license. Like posted earlier, if you have a concealed license from Indiana why not just conceal it. I have noticed there are a few posters on the Indiana board that advacate open carry as way of giving the finger to the gun control people.

SBG40
02-25-2009, 14:48
i don't know where you are getting the info from. Ky is perfectly o.k. To open carry. It's one of the reasons why the brady bill people rate us last or next to last in the country for gun control. You can even keep a loaded gun in the glove box of your car with out a ccdw license. Like posted earlier, if you have a concealed license from indiana why not just conceal it. I have noticed there are a few posters on the indiana board that advacate open carry as way of giving the finger to the gun control people.

hold-up wait a min. I'm not saying you can't open carry there in KY., i'm just responding to what "SPORK" said earlyer, and that is, that you can carry in KY. open carry or concealed with or without a ccw, I just don't beleave that, and i'm not going try it just to find out if it true.

SBG40
02-25-2009, 15:01
I don't know where you are getting the info from. Ky is perfectly o.k. to open carry. It's one of the reasons why the Brady Bill people rate us last or next to last in the country for gun control. You can even keep a loaded gun in the glove box of your car with out a CCDW license. Like posted earlier, if you have a concealed license from Indiana why not just conceal it. I have noticed there are a few posters on the Indiana board that advacate open carry as way of giving the finger to the gun control people.

2nd. you did not read what i posted earlyer about Indiana's LTCH-" LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN STATE OF INDIANA" as it is printed, which means you can carry anyway you want, the State Police will tell you that they would prefer that you keep it concealed Why?, because you will be stoped each and every time a leo see's you .

Bren
02-25-2009, 15:23

YES, you can openly carry any weapon that federal law allows you to possess, with no license or permit of any kind in Kentucky. The CCDW permit only allows you to conceal it - otherwise it has to be in the open or in the glove compartment of your car.

What Vermont allows is that is different than Kentucky is CONCEALED carry with no permit. Also, it isn't the only state - Alaska allows the same.

Bren
02-25-2009, 15:28
NO, I DO KEEP UP WITH THE LAWS OF THE LAND ON WHERE YOU CAN CARRY AND CAN'T. And like I said before the only two states that allow you to carry without a CCW-Concealed Carry Weapon, CCP-Concealed Carry Permit, LCC-License To Carry Concealed,CWP-Concealed Weapon Permit, CWL- Concealed Weapon License, CCDW-Carry Concealed Deadly Weapon, and as we have here in Indiana LTCH-"License To Carry Handgun State Of Indiana" (as it reads), are Vermont, and Washington State BUT, what i will do just fore you is go check out the KY. codes and get back with you, until then "always check your front sites".
You are wrong.

However, if you want to prove yourself right, here are all of Kentucky's statutes - go find one that says it is illegal to openly carry a weapon.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/statrev/frontpg.htm

Are you just intentionally posting nonsense to start an argument for some reason?

Bren
02-25-2009, 15:29
hold-up wait a min. I'm not saying you can't open carry there in KY., i'm just responding to what "SPORK" said earlyer, and that is, that you can carry in KY. open carry or concealed with or without a ccw, I just don't beleave that, and i'm not going try it just to find out if it true.

Nobody said that. Spork's post is right up above, "Open carry is legal in Ky, with or without a permit."

spork
02-25-2009, 20:05

Actually, in post #4 you did say that we could not carry openly without a permit.

Secondly, I never said that you could carry concealed in Ky without a permit.

KYMike
02-25-2009, 21:24
Actually, in post #4 you did say that we could not carry openly without a permit.

Secondly, I never said that you could carry concealed in Ky without a permit.

Clearly this guy is just here to start an argument. That's why he's back and forth on everything and twisting everyone else's words around.

To the OP: Please don't ask a question, then tell those trying to help you that they are wrong. The bottom line is CCDWs in KY don't give authority to carry open in Kentucky. If you choose to OC, you will do so without a permit. The Commonwealth just doesn't issue an "Open Carry of a Deadly Weapon" permit, even though they allow OC. So if you aren't comfortable carrying open without a permit, either leave the pistols at home or untuck your shirt and make d*mn sure your home state's CCW is honored here before you cross the river. YOU and you alone are responsible for understanding and following the laws. You've been given the tools to do this.

And remember, you're subject to Kentucky law (and KY law ONLY) while you're in KY, regardless of what any permit from another state may let you do there. KY may honor the permit, but they are under no obligation to match that state's carry laws. Read the KRS, and decide for yourself how to proceed. Bottom line.....it doesn't make a d*mn bit of difference what the laws of Vermont, Indiana, Washington, or any other state say. When you're here, you play by THIS Commonwealth's rules.

SBG40
02-26-2009, 00:04
Clearly this guy is just here to start an argument. That's why he's back and forth on everything and twisting everyone else's words around.

To the OP: Please don't ask a question, then tell those trying to help you that they are wrong. The bottom line is CCDWs in KY don't give authority to carry open in Kentucky. If you choose to OC, you will do so without a permit. The Commonwealth just doesn't issue an "Open Carry of a Deadly Weapon" permit, even though they allow OC. So if you aren't comfortable carrying open without a permit, either leave the pistols at home or untuck your shirt and make d*mn sure your home state's CCW is honored here before you cross the river. YOU and you alone are responsible for understanding and following the laws. You've been given the tools to do this.

And remember, you're subject to Kentucky law (and KY law ONLY) while you're in KY, regardless of what any permit from another state may let you do there. KY may honor the permit, but they are under no obligation to match that state's carry laws. Read the KRS, and decide for yourself how to proceed. Bottom line.....it doesn't make a d*mn bit of difference what the laws of Vermont, Indiana, Washington, or any other state say. When you're here, you play by THIS Commonwealth's rules.

:rant:OK LET ME TRY AND FIX THIS MESS...........! First: In my 1st. post was the question on open carry in the blue gress state can you and where?, now i'm not here to start an ARGUMENT, or TWIST anyone's words or am i here to step on anyones toes about open carry, in my 4th post "no way" i said that because i simpley didn't beleave that you could OC without a permit or license, And as i said before about the only two state's you CAN CARRY WITH OR WITHOUT A PERMIT OR LICENSE ( VERMONT AND WASHINGTON STATE ), you can also open carry there aswell,I also gave a list of ccw's (i.e. Indiana's) as it reads on the License " LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN STATE OF INDIANA ",:dunno: WHICH MEANS you can carry any way you want to, it is not a ccp "Conceal Carry Permit" or CCL " Concealed Carry License " it doe'snt say that anywhere on the License, And after doing some research I have found that you can open carry in KY. without a permit, you can not however carry concealed without your permit "CCW", NOW I am wellaware of what you can do and what you can't do while in another STATE with my LTCH " License To Carry Handgun State Of Indiana " (i.e. KY> The Blue Gress State ) Now for all of you who have jumped all over me about open carry in KY. you need to go back and read word for word what i had to say and not asume, And as I said I'm not here to start any trouble, step on anyone's toes, or twist anyones words, I'm here to do as everyone else is here to do share info. and get it aswell.:drink:

Bren
02-26-2009, 05:39
Now for all of you who have jumped all over me about open carry in KY. you need to go back and read word for word what i had to say and not asume, And as I said I'm not here to start any trouble, step on anyone's toes, or twist anyones words, I'm here to do as everyone else is here to do share info. and get it aswell.:drink:

We did read it word for word, that's why we responded as we did. How about YOU try going back and reading it. People who know what they are talking about told you correctly that you can open carry any type of weapon, including guns, with NO permit in Kentucky. You responded "No way are you going to tell me that you can Open Carry in KY. without a permit or License , I know that if you do, you are sitting your self up for some jail time." (see above). If you go around posting stupid things and arguing with people who know better, they are going to respond. You "shared" incorrect info that you knew nothing about and then refused to "get it."

dave329
03-17-2009, 22:51
SHEEEEW, Classic example of our "HillBilly" logic. We really don't take kindly of forigners coming here and telling us *****. 2 things you need to know and understand about us here in Ky packin or not, WE DON'T BACK UP AND WE DON'T RUN! :tongueout:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ciwsguy
03-18-2009, 17:27
WE DON'T BACK UP AND WE DON'T RUN! :tongueout:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nor do we HAVE to back up and run, like you must do in some lib states. KY is a stand-your-ground state, is it not?

Brock Morgan
03-19-2009, 18:32
I'll jump in here as well without any quotes to confuse the OP....

Bottom line, here in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, you DO need to have a CCDW license to carry concealed or you will need to have some other form of licensure/authorization from a reciprocal state to carry concealed.

Open carry DOES NOT require any licensure in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. PERIOD. If you can legally possess a firearm then you can legally carry said firearm in an open manner.

The lawmakers have reserved for themselves the right to change/modify any of the firearm laws which means that cities cannot make up their own rules. The statutes are pretty clear about where you cannot carry, and by using a little reverse logic you can figure out where to carry, whether openly or concealed.

One of the folks offer you advice is an attorney....I know he is on the mark with his information. I am a CCDW Instructor Trainer and believe that I might also be believable.

If'n ya wants to fuss a little more about this topic y'all jes' haf ta doit on yer own if'n ya don't want to believe us Kentuckians. :wavey:

Captain38
03-25-2009, 05:00
SBG40,

You've been given the CORRECT information from every possible angle, but refuse to accept it.

Now, just DROP IT!!!

chris in va
04-02-2009, 22:37
And if I may, you can also open carry without a permit or residency status in VA, where I just moved from.

But do so only if you like attention, good or bad. Mostly neutral questions in my experience.

Dukeboy01
04-03-2009, 08:36
Jeez, some people just don't want to hear the answer they were looking for.

SBG40
04-03-2009, 08:50
SBG40,

You've been given the CORRECT information from every possible angle, but refuse to accept it.

Now, just DROP IT!!!

Well your late on the responds to what i had to say about KY's open carry laws, and for the last time I will say this ,AFTER DOING SOME DEEP LOOKING INTO I HAVE FOUND THAT YOU CAN OPEN CARRY IN THE BLUE GRASS STATE WITHOUT A CCW, AND IF YOU CONCEAL IT YOU THEN WILL NEED A CCW, I HAVE BEEN CARRYING HERE IN THE GREAT STATE OF INDIANA, (INDIANAPOLIS ) SINCE "84" AND HAVE WORKED WITH THE POLICE DEPT. HERE FOR SOME TIME NOW, AND I'M A RANGE OFFICER FOR THE GSSF, NRA, AND HAVE BEEN WITHIN THE PAST WEEK OUT TO "FRONTSIGHT" WITH DR. IGNATIUS PIAZZA,TRAINING, SO BELEAVE ME WHEN I SAY THAT I KNOW THE EVER CHANGING LAWS FROM THE EAST TO THE WEST AND FROM THE NORTH TO THE SOUTH, IF YOUR SMART AND PLAN ON CARRYING A FIREARM YOU HAD BETTER KEEP UP WITH THE LAW OF THE LAND AND NOT JUST THE ONE'S IN YOUR HOME STATE.

chris in va
04-03-2009, 22:19
SO BELEAVE ME WHEN I SAY THAT I KNOW THE EVER CHANGING LAWS FROM THE EAST TO THE WEST AND FROM THE NORTH TO THE SOUTH

That may be, but many of your statements were quite erronious and the previous posters were trying to inform you of that fact.

Here's another:

And as i said before about the only two state's you CAN CARRY WITH OR WITHOUT A PERMIT OR LICENSE ( VERMONT AND WASHINGTON STATE

It's Vermont and Alaska. WA still requires a CC permit.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealfaq.html

ampes2004
04-04-2009, 17:18
In KY you can only legally open carry in the same locations that a CCDW (concealed carry deadly WEAPON) permit allows you to carry concealed (not on school grnds, fed. bldgs, court houses, bars, anywhere posted public or private, and others).

Unlike a lot of states, the KY permit is not just for firearms, it covers a wide variety of deadly weapons, ( nun-chuk, stars, swords, large knives, black jacks, brass knuckles and more). Many of the other weapons do not have the same restrictions as firearms.

SBG40
04-08-2009, 14:25
That may be, but many of your statements were quite erronious and the previous posters were trying to inform you of that fact.

Here's another:

It's Vermont and Alaska. WA still requires a CC permit.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealfaq.html

OK I WILL EDMIT THAT I WAS WRONG WITH THE INFO. ON VERMONT AND WASH. IT'S VERMONT & ALASKA, BUT I STILL HAVE THE CORRECT INFO. ON GUN LAWS FROM EAST TO WEST AND NORTH TO SOUTH :shakehead: BUG OFF !!!

anotherjohndoe
04-15-2009, 12:21
Q? Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?

A- Because empty cans make the most noise. lol (http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/536730)

:upeyes:

Berretta9
04-15-2009, 15:33
Be cafefull. He is an RO for GSSF and he did go to school with some guy name Dr. Pizza ( I shot a match the other day with a guy named Calzone. Is that the same ?) You guys should be more respectfull, he is an unqualified expert.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

anotherjohndoe
04-16-2009, 05:24
...and no matter where he travels, whether it's to the east, west, north or south, he always stays in a holiday inn express.

Boilers
04-16-2009, 06:25
I apologize for Indiana.

Berretta9
04-16-2009, 07:06
I apologize for Indiana.

Thats pretty funny.:rofl: Not necessary though. Every state's got a few

seanmcp
04-17-2009, 22:31
As most of you know, I recently moved from Louisville, KY to Jeffersonville, IN.

Boilers, please *promise* me that there's not something in the water over on this northern side of the river that's going to cause me to lose my ability to type in lower case, read relatively simple sentences posted by my Kentucky friends, and make me lose any and all understanding of the simple rules of grammar.

I'd hate to think that my fate is sealed :)

Rikki
04-18-2009, 03:12
HEY!!!
Easy on the Holiday Inn stuff! Business has been off lately...

anotherjohndoe
04-18-2009, 07:02
As most of you know, I recently moved from Louisville, KY to Jeffersonville, IN.

Boilers, please *promise* me that there's not something in the water over on this northern side of the river that's going to cause me to lose my ability to type in lower case, read relatively simple sentences posted by my Kentucky friends, and make me lose any and all understanding of the simple rules of grammar.

I'd hate to think that my fate is sealed :)

Don't forget your spellin'. We say tomato, you say tomatoe. We say potato, you say potatoe.

When is Quayle season in Hoosierville?

I drove by a place in Corydon a while back where they had just finished re-striping some fresh blacktop. There was a designated "NO PARKIN" zone. Really, I'm not making this up!

anotherjohndoe
04-18-2009, 07:21

:tongueout: