Backpack [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Backpack

Mudweiser
09-07-2002, 13:05
I need to find a good hunting backpack, from which I can live out of in the field for up to 3-4 days. Preferably, a military surplus backpack. I have heard some about ALICE packs, but dont know much about them. Any Suggestions? i'll be carrying food, water, ammo, knife, survival gear, and a small break down camping stove, plus rain gear,etc.

El Capitan
09-09-2002, 16:09
How far are you going and how much do you need to carry?

Or more importantly, how much are you willing to spend? To be honest, unless you are putting it against some serious abuse, and you have the cash, I would always go with a good 'real' backpack like a Gregory. Check out (http://www.gregorypacks.com/) their internal frames from their 'adventure' series. It will fit you better, be much more lightweight, and allow you to move more freely. They usually run about $250. Or even order REI brand from REI.

just my $.02. :cool:

mpol777
09-09-2002, 16:22
just about any day pack you will find at a backpacking shop will beat the alice pack. remember when the military buys something it has to be durable, functional and cheap enough to provide it to every troop. comfort isn't always taken into consideration. i have an alice pack that i carry around town, but not for hiking/camping/hunting. you can pick up a good daypack from REI. look at last year's models. it's closout time so check REI outlet. you can usually get last year's models for about 50% off and you give up absolutely nothing in quality.

i cut a piece of camo fabric to put over my daypack since it's black and yellow. much cheaper than the realtree cammo hunting packs.

mwmjones
09-10-2002, 11:42
Check out Kifaru.net Patrick Smith the owner used to own Pack Smith pack before Kifaru and making his company more Hunter and BackPacking related! Great stuff check it out!

Good luck!

Michael

Bigjets
09-13-2002, 04:13
I have the JanSport 'Alaska' internal frame pack and it is HUGE. The nice part is that you don't have to fill it up. With the extended top cover it will hold over 7000 cu. in. and it has lots of places to hang on your sleeping mat and water bottles and other stuff. I like to use recycled 1 liter soda bottles to hold water. They are light and cheap. I think I got the pack from Campmor for about $200. ;Y

Elkslayer
09-13-2002, 09:13
I would strongly suggest you check out the LOAD MONSTER by True North avaliable at www.altrec.com

http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/141/0

I use it primariliary for elk hunting. I carry everything I will need after taking an elk as well as all of the survival gear I would need for several days out in the wilderness. Although it is not intended for overnight hiking and you would be hard pressed to strap on a sleeping bag.

I like it because it distributes the weight to your hips. The shoulder straps help keep it from drooping down onto your butt, as a lumbar pack it isn't up against the top of my back like a day pack is causing sweat to run down my back. It has several straps with snap buckles to allow you to roll up extra clothing items like a fleece vest or a jacket when you don't need them while hiking up a ridge and working up a sweat. It has a strap on the top right shoulder strap intended to be used for a hydration tube but I use it for putting my sling in when I need to use both hands in rough terrain.

You are able to strap the shoulder straps together to keep them from slipping off your shoulders.

As you can tell, I'm sold on it and at least 5 people I've shown mine to have ordered one as well.

Hope this helps.

USMCsilver
09-13-2002, 18:32
Check E-bay dude.

As far as the A.L.I.C.E. goes, well, I think that is out the window. It is now MOLLE. More bells and whiltles, but more bling, bling as well. But, with the intro of the new one, the old skool ones have come down in price.