PDA

View Full Version : My jiujitsu hero...

theTactician
02-25-2009, 17:35
share ko lang...

the jiujitsu champ i idolize ...
click the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkB3cpwPSB4

he's reubens charles "cobrinha" from team alliance. the guy i emulate in jiujitsu along with braulio "carcarra" estima.

Allegra
02-25-2009, 18:31
bro , how old are you?
I'm missing a week of training because of injuries
These were old college basketball injuries na bumalik lang during rolling
Injuries healed overnight when I was younger hehe now they dont seem to heal at all
I'm not that old , but I'm beat up playing a lot of sports
I wish I strtaed this when I was younger

9MX
02-26-2009, 08:28
basta ako, eto ang hero ko..i'll roll with this person anytime..anyday

:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa5KSm4XueQ

theTactician
02-26-2009, 09:09
basta ako, eto ang hero ko..i'll roll with this person anytime..anyday

:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa5KSm4XueQ

when she teaches class in our school...i get distracted. hehehehe. hindi jiujitsu ang tumatakbo sa isip ko. :shocked:

theTactician
02-26-2009, 09:19
bro , how old are you?
I'm missing a week of training because of injuries
These were old college basketball injuries na bumalik lang during rolling
Injuries healed overnight when I was younger hehe now they dont seem to heal at all
I'm not that old , but I'm beat up playing a lot of sports
I wish I strtaed this when I was younger

im old too...im 36 years old bro. when i compete in tournaments, i end up in the masters/seniors division. hehehe. but thats ok. for as long as you enjoy jiujitsu just continue doing it and dont let age stop you. i know some people even start at a very late age in life, even at 50's. yeah.
When i was in high school, i studied shotokan karate and i the highest rank i got was 1st class brown belt, almost black but i got tired of it. going back to those younger days, me too, i wish i started jiujitsu at a young age. i should've been a black belt by now or maybe have won major championships, who knows. we can never know our potential at this point in time of our lives since we're already seniors na. But, when i roll with younger guys, teenagers and those in their 20's, sometimes, i beat them up using gulang and tactics and it feels gooooood..:supergrin: however, the only disadvantage i have is i gas out earlier than the younger caucasian guys. my brazilian friend who is a jiujitsu prodigy himself, told me that if i only i had that endurance and stamina i could be the tasmanian devil himself on the mats. he calls me "taz". This guy submits everyone in our class. he's only 31 but he's that deadly. I roll with him a lot to gauge myself although i tap out a lot against him. he catches me a lot with my favorite choke, the bow and arrow choke. hehehe.i think i submitted him only twice for the years that i have rolled with him. he;s won several major championships including the american nationals. hehehehe. he's that goood.
I wish i can bring my friend in the philippines so he can teach my brother and friends as well.

9MX
02-26-2009, 09:38
when she teaches class in our school...i get distracted. hehehehe. hindi jiujitsu ang tumatakbo sa isip ko. :shocked:

which is probably she'd beat the crap out of us:rofl:

on a serious note, do women really roll with men in bjj classes? b

Allegra
02-26-2009, 18:02
im old too...im 36 years old bro. when i compete in tournaments, i end up in the masters/seniors division. hehehe. but thats ok. for as long as you enjoy jiujitsu just continue doing it and dont let age stop you. i know some people even start at a very late age in life, even at 50's. yeah.
When i was in high school, i studied shotokan karate and i the highest rank i got was 1st class brown belt, almost black but i got tired of it. going back to those younger days, me too, i wish i started jiujitsu at a young age. i should've been a black belt by now or maybe have won major championships, who knows. we can never know our potential at this point in time of our lives since we're already seniors na. But, when i roll with younger guys, teenagers and those in their 20's, sometimes, i beat them up using gulang and tactics and it feels gooooood..:supergrin: however, the only disadvantage i have is i gas out earlier than the younger caucasian guys. my brazilian friend who is a jiujitsu prodigy himself, told me that if i only i had that endurance and stamina i could be the tasmanian devil himself on the mats. he calls me "taz". This guy submits everyone in our class. he's only 31 but he's that deadly. I roll with him a lot to gauge myself although i tap out a lot against him. he catches me a lot with my favorite choke, the bow and arrow choke. hehehe.i think i submitted him only twice for the years that i have rolled with him. he;s won several major championships including the american nationals. hehehehe. he's that goood.
I wish i can bring my friend in the philippines so he can teach my brother and friends as well.

bakiktad naman tayo
I dont have any technique haha
but I have a good gas tank coming from a triathlon background plus I'm tall
But I have to take it easy lang , I'm becoming brittle w/ age haha

Allegra
02-26-2009, 18:09

bakit yun din unang tanong ko?
I wouldnt like to roll w/ women because I'm so shy
Pero nag rerecruit nako to overcome my shyness

theTactician
02-26-2009, 18:34

yes, during sparring sessions. i remember i rolled with this tough jiujitsu brownbelt, ana cordeiro who won several major championships including the worlds, she was so goood. I was playing my open guard and doing my best to prevent her from passing. my dela riva guard is tricky but then ana just went pass by it as if it were nothing. she's that technical and it was a humbling experience.

in some tournaments, specially the youngsters, they mix up both men and women and a lot of times, women win first place. take for example the daughter of my instructor, she was the only female in the bracket and she defeated all men. So, overall, jiujitsu, is both effective for both men and women, young and old. it molds itself to one's body.

superman79
02-27-2009, 07:23
One of the best in the BJJ world..One of my idols. LEOZINHO

Here's a video of Leozinho, schooling Yuki Nakai. The same guy who got choked out by Rickson Gracie in "CHOKE".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVpaMlBeiqo

9MX
02-27-2009, 08:43
bakit yun din unang tanong ko?
I wouldnt like to roll w/ women because I'm so shy
Pero nag rerecruit nako to overcome my shyness

yeah right:supergrin:

Allegra
03-06-2009, 10:01
Anyone competing sa mega mall tomorrow?

superman79
03-06-2009, 21:46
Anyone competing sa mega mall tomorrow?

My team will be there to compete.:cool:

Allegra
03-07-2009, 09:07
Wala bang seniors division? :) the gys there are half my age !

theTactician
03-07-2009, 17:43

im sure there would be a senior's division. hey guys, malapit lapit na rin ang pan-asian jiujitsu tournament, may 2nd yata diyan sa may sm mall of asia if im not mistaken. i might go and watch coz i will be on vacation this april to may. as for me, still undecided whether to compete for the pan ams this march at carson city but im still stuck at 170 lbs. i wanna compete in the lightweight division, so i have to cut weight to make it 165 plus 2 lbs of gi weight. :supergrin:

superman79
03-08-2009, 05:44

Yes there's a senior division if there are enough seniors that enter. Pan Asian and BJJ OPEN is e better comp to join. How old are you??

Allegra
03-08-2009, 17:19
Yes there's a senior division if there are enough seniors that enter. Pan Asian and BJJ OPEN is e better comp to join. How old are you??

I'm 38
Parang mga anak ko na yung nag compete nung sat :)

superman79
03-08-2009, 21:55
I'm 38
Parang mga anak ko na yung nag compete nung sat :)

You would compete in the senior division. Better to train a little longer since the guys here sandbag big time!

Allegra
03-09-2009, 10:32
http://rollapalooza.blogspot.com/index.html

theTactician
03-10-2009, 01:13
You would compete in the senior division. Better to train a little longer since the guys here sandbag big time!

sandbagging, really? like how long does it take for one to be promoted to blue belt in the philippines? coz in the u.s. under the new IBJJF rules on promotion, they follow a certain amount of time for a person to be promoted to a higher level provided they attend class at least twice a week and show some level of proficiency/technicality and if you win a lot in tournaments, now, thats the fastest way to earn promotions. I have a good friend here who is brazilian who is really really good, been training in mma for 4 years before deciding to get into formal jiujitsu training. I was ahead of him by several months but then he's that good, winning the gracie nationals, american nationals, he just went pass by me and now he's 4 stripes and is due for promotion for purple belt. he's currently ahead of me by just 1 stripe as a blue belt. they still promote here based on championships won but i think , only a few academies sandbag. i didnt realize that they do sandbag people there. Even the great Rodrigo gracie dont believe in sandbagging anymore.
just my thoughts...:cool:

superman79
03-10-2009, 08:06
sandbagging, really? like how long does it take for one to be promoted to blue belt in the philippines? coz in the u.s. under the new IBJJF rules on promotion, they follow a certain amount of time for a person to be promoted to a higher level provided they attend class at least twice a week and show some level of proficiency/technicality and if you win a lot in tournaments, now, thats the fastest way to earn promotions. I have a good friend here who is brazilian who is really really good, been training in mma for 4 years before deciding to get into formal jiujitsu training. I was ahead of him by several months but then he's that good, winning the gracie nationals, american nationals, he just went pass by me and now he's 4 stripes and is due for promotion for purple belt. he's currently ahead of me by just 1 stripe as a blue belt. they still promote here based on championships won but i think , only a few academies sandbag. i didnt realize that they do sandbag people there. Even the great Rodrigo gracie dont believe in sandbagging anymore.
just my thoughts...:cool:

Even with the new IBJJ rules, it's still up to the discretion of the black belt if the student is ready for the next level or not. In my opinion, it's ok stay in your rank as long as you can, because you can concentrate on getting better before you get to the next level. I think most guys would agree that they don't want to rush to the next rank too fast, since more responsibility comes with the next rank. Back in the day, during the generation of, Murilo Bustamante, Ricardo Cavalcanti, Mario Sperry, and Wallid Ismail, these guys would stay as brown belts for 6 to 7 years before even getting a chance for black belt. If you were to even ask of promotion, that would make your next promotion even further away. I always tell my students, I'd rather be a very good white belt, than a crappy blue belt. It's good to make sure that you're good enough for the next level before being promoted.

theTactician
03-10-2009, 17:06
Even with the new IBJJ rules, it's still up to the discretion of the black belt if the student is ready for the next level or not. In my opinion, it's ok stay in your rank as long as you can, because you can concentrate on getting better before you get to the next level. I think most guys would agree that they don't want to rush to the next rank too fast, since more responsibility comes with the next rank. Back in the day, during the generation of, Murilo Bustamante, Ricardo Cavalcanti, Mario Sperry, and Wallid Ismail, these guys would stay as brown belts for 6 to 7 years before even getting a chance for black belt. If you were to even ask of promotion, that would make your next promotion even further away. I always tell my students, I'd rather be a very good white belt, than a crappy blue belt. It's good to make sure that you're good enough for the next level before being promoted.

yeah i agree that you have to earn the next rank with blood and sweat..that's how we also do it under carlos gracie jr. If a student deserves it, coz some people just pick up real fast and learn fast and begin submitting a lot of people every now and then, then they get promoted. As the blackbelts say, "Rank is everything in jiujitsu" and i agree with them. But you know, some instructors sandbag people in order to win many trophies and what's even worse, is some do it to milk their students some more. I think thats the reason why they came up with the new IBJJF rules on promotion. I mean, personally i think, its unfair , specially in competitions where a student who is rightfully a blue belt competes against a sandbagged bluebelt (who should already be purple belt level), right? that guy should be competing against other purple belts to make things "even/fair" and test the guy's real skills/techniques. I believe thats why they have divisions based on age, rank and weight. Before, during the early days of jiujitsu, they dont have these IBJJF rules, they compete with no time limit and the ultimate goal is submission. so i guess, back then "sandbagging" is indeed an advantage. It takes 10-15 years to get the blackbelt in jiujitsu during the early years and so blackbelts then are like supermen in jiujitsu. guys like the machado brothers, the gracies, terere, jacare..etc.. However, in this new age where natural talents emerged like BJ Penn, Lloyd Irvin, who got their blackbelts in 3 years, and im sure there are a lot of them out there, yet to be discovered, it only goes to show that sandbagging isnt necessary anymore.
Just my 2 cents. :supergrin: