Leaving MI, how is KY? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Leaving MI, how is KY?

Pyzik
02-27-2009, 10:10
So, my wife and I are wanting get outa Michigan.

Looking at a map, we like where Somerset is. Anyone know the general area?
What is the economy like? Are there jobs (we are in our early 20's and both going to be going to school, so we don't have careers yet)?

Thing is, the wife is a shopaholic, so where ever we move has to have at least some kind of mall. I see Somerset has that.

But I want something that is fairly small. I am from a town of around 20,000. Which it plenty big enough for me, but she thought was almost too small. She is from a city of around 100,000 which is WAY too big for me!

So we are compromising. Something small, with a mall (or on the outskirts of a city that has one), a lake near by (fishing), and mountains.

Oh, almost forgot, the most important thing, GUN LAWS. From what I read, they seem alright. What are the biggest problems right now?

Thanks all!! Look forward to your wisdom.

KYJoe
02-27-2009, 20:24
KY has some of the best gun laws in our nation. No worry there. Good luck with appeasing the boss.

spork
02-28-2009, 08:34
Ky does have some of the best gun and self-defense laws in the nation.

Sorry, I don't know much about the Somerset area.

I am a bit tied down with a project for grad school right now, but if I can think of anything later I will chime in again.

costanza187
02-28-2009, 12:06
Western KY is great, Eastern KY... I have heard horror stories (but I don't know for sure, I've never seen the eastern part of the state myself).

lordjim_2001
02-28-2009, 13:17
Look at Richmond. I used to live there before the move to AZ. Shopping center in town and one just north in Lexington. Smaller town and fishing near by. EKU is in town and UK is in Lex. The jobs are going to be the hard part. Just about everywhere is hurting.

BGROOMS
02-28-2009, 13:54
Its a dry county....two hours drive to get beer. The mall is a joke....nothing there except some ratty stores. My advice is skip that town.

Uncle Mark
02-28-2009, 16:36
Check out the Bowling Green area. It has a lot going for it. The city itself has upwards of 50,000 people and is home to Western Kentucky Univ. It has a decent mall but Nashville is only 60 miles or so away which is great for those who crave large malls. Very good location. We are only 35 miles away from Mammoth Cave and 2 nice lakes are nearby for fishing, boating, etc. They are Nolin and Barren River. We live 10 miles outside of town and are happy here. We're transplants from Phoenix, Arizona and have great neighbors and friends.

dbradaz2
02-28-2009, 17:42
I agree with Uncle Mark. I used to live in Bowling Green, but the career opportunities weren't the best. People are great and the University provides a good education. Nashville is close enough for your wife. If you do anything outdoors, Mamoth Cave Park is just north. I have driven through Somerset and that was good enough for me. Eastern KY is known for poverty, drugs and crime. If you look to buy a house, look in Plano.

Houngan
02-28-2009, 17:44
I'm from that area, Somerset would probably be a disappointment, shopping-wise. However, it has a great economy, particularly real estate, and Lake Cumberland is one of the best recreation lakes in the world.

H.

KYMike
03-02-2009, 21:49
Pyzik,

My wife and I moved here 3 years ago from Michigan. As far as gun laws go, the best thing I can say is NO MORE STUPID GREEN CARDS!!! Lol.

As you know, the economic troubles are all over now, but we're still better off here than up there. We're hurting, but we are a lot less dependant on the auto industry. The country's beautiful, the people are very friendly, and it's sort of the best of both worlds (north and south) to me.

No matter what area you settle in, I'm confident you both will love it. Good luck, and if I can help in any way drop me a line anytime.

SDGlock23
03-03-2009, 22:58
Somerset area isn't bad, but if your wife is a shopaholic, be warned that the Somerset mall sucks. Not just a little either, it sucks a lot. Lexington has good malls, and Richmond has pretty good malls too. Plus you have UK in Lex, and EKU in Richmond. Not knocking eastern ky, but I hear they're a little...well...rustic. I recommend central or northern KY.

The Danville area is nice, that's around where I'm from. It's not busy and crowded like the bigger places, but you have everything within driving distances. Lexington and Richmond are probably 45 minutes away. Louisville is about an hour and a half or so away, and Cincinnati is about two hours via the interstate, come to think of it, so is Knoxville. But in Danville, there's plenty of fishing at Herrington lake, or you can drive down about an hour to Somerset and fish Lake Cumberland. EKU has an extension in Danville, and it's not a bad college. Centre college is here, but it's high-brow and very expensive. The area is nice overall, and would be worth considering.

Oh I almost forgot, Buds gun shop (budsgunshop.com) in Paris is about an hour and half away, and the drive is pretty.

costanza187
03-05-2009, 05:34
I will throw in my .02 about Bowling Green. I have never lived there, but I spent a week there for work a couple years ago. Tell ya what, I didn't want to go home. Everybody there seemed really nice, and there was plenty to keep me entertained. If I had to relocate, I would definitely give Bowling Green a looksey.

herose
03-14-2009, 22:17
I'm with SDGLOCK 23, you should check out Danville. We're about 35 minutes SW of Lexington. The economy is good, the schools are great. The shopping is ok with a few strip malls (JC Penney, Peebles, etc.)

Eating is good with O'Charleys, Applebys, Cracker Barrell, locally owned Suttons is great.

Movie theater and a local community theater. Also home to Centre College and Norton Center for the Arts.

Danville is around 19,000 population and Boyle County is around 29,000.

My favorite thing is an awesome shooting range (handgun, rifle, archery, skeet, and IDPA matches) all for $30 per year

http://www.danvillekentucky.com/

http://www.boyleky.com/

dave329
03-20-2009, 11:10
Just so you know I live in eastern ky and have all my life. It is fine up here,just about 60 miles from the bigger ities in ky.
But if you like privacy and the country then you need to look at the eastern part of the state.

Seoull
03-22-2009, 23:25
Best of both worlds for both of you guys. I live in Radcliff. It's right outside of Ft Knox. Pop around 21,000. Good community college with classes offered from Eastern KU, UK and UofL. Louisville is about 35 minutes away for the big city desires with "plenty of malls". Grew up here most of my childhood. Did 10 years in the air force, got out and lived in Miami for two years and couldn't stand the place. So i moved back to my hometown (Army brat to boot). There is also Elizabethtown, little larger in population, small mall, expensive housing. Don't know your ethnic background, but in all honesty, there are places in KY that you wouldn't want to live if you are ethinically diverse. I'm not trying to cause any trouble here, but it is the truth.

http://www.radcliffky.org/index.php

Seoull
03-22-2009, 23:29
Oh. Forgot to add. Ft Knox has a shooting range open to the public with a French range membership and Knob Creek gun range which is about 20 minutes from Ft Knox. Big annual machine gun shoot.

http://www.knoxmwr.com/centerRecreationbrLeisurecenter/FrenchShootingClub/tabid/124/Default.aspx
http://www.machinegunshoot.com/

ampes2004
04-04-2009, 17:43
Not knocking eastern ky, but I hear they're a little...well...rustic.

.[/quote]

But, we like rustic! LOL Except on our guns.

I have freinds and family scattered over most of the state, and its all good.

Find your school, and start there. Here in KY you will never be more than a short trip away from good shopping, food, shooting, fishing, hunting, hiking, biking etc.

Most importantly, you can "open carry" your weapon anywhere it is legal to carry concealed with a permit, and at last count, KY was reciprocal with 37 other U.S. states on their concealed carry permits.

humanguerrilla
04-10-2009, 18:58
Just so you know I live in eastern ky and have all my life. It is fine up here,just about 60 miles from the bigger ities in ky.
But if you like privacy and the country then you need to look at the eastern part of the state.

+1 and you can get much more for your money in eastern KY. I've lived all over KY and Northeastern KY is home.

Berretta9
04-11-2009, 04:33
Not knocking eastern ky, but I hear they're a little...well...rustic.

Rustic ??? Thats way too mild. Have you seen the movie Deliverence ?? There are a lot of places in far eastern KY where thats not too far off.

chris in va
04-11-2009, 22:51
FWIW eastern KY's #1 cash crop is pot. I kid you not.

jrh102283
04-13-2009, 12:07
Information on Richmond is mostly accurate. Town is wet and we do serve in resteraunts on Sunday. Yes the mall sucks with no name stores but Richmond Centre is in development. Some big stores going in there. Volvo is looking to open a plant along with Sub-Zero if economy permits. Lexington is 30 min. north on I75 and any shopping you can ask for can be found as well as Keenland horse track. Plenty of activity to be found for any taste. Madsion county is one of the fastest growing counties in the state that has to prove that it isn't a total $**T hole.

Seoull
05-04-2009, 01:49
Rustic ??? Thats way too mild. Have you seen the movie Deliverence ?? There are a lot of places in far eastern KY where thats not too far off.

It's funny you mention Deliverence. It was actually filmed in Tennessee because the cast and crew feared for their lives in the area they had originally set in Kentucky for filming.:rofl:

kentuckysptpr
05-26-2009, 21:03
Somerset is nice. Lots of good places to eat. The mall isn't that great, but very good antique shops. If you like beautiful land, nice people and being around lakes then this is for you. I also like Bowling Green. That is where all the good shopping is. Lexington has University of Kentucky and EVERY store you can imagine. If the city thing isn't for you, then try Nicholasville. It is 30 miles south of Lexington and very nice. You could easily commute to work/ school. Jessamine County also has a seminary if interested and the price of housing isn't too bad.

xd9od
06-03-2009, 18:55
I'm with SDGLOCK 23, you should check out Danville. We're about 35 minutes SW of Lexington. The economy is good, the schools are great. The shopping is ok with a few strip malls (JC Penney, Peebles, etc.)

Eating is good with O'Charleys, Applebys, Cracker Barrell, locally owned Suttons is great.

Movie theater and a local community theater. Also home to Centre College and Norton Center for the Arts.

Danville is around 19,000 population and Boyle County is around 29,000.

My favorite thing is an awesome shooting range (handgun, rifle, archery, skeet, and IDPA matches) all for $30 per year

http://www.danvillekentucky.com/

http://www.boyleky.com/

Is that the boyle county fish and game club? I love it there.