Square Mile tracts- what am I missing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Square Mile tracts- what am I missing

why
02-27-2009, 11:38
OK, I know its desert and hotter than whiz in the summer, but theres some pretty good prices on some large land tracts in the northern part of your fine state. Other than the heat, possible lack of water, snakes and scorpions, whats the downside to having some playspace up there?

osiruscyn
02-27-2009, 12:09
the ability to reach the area, especially in the winter.

jpa
03-02-2009, 23:35
If you go to the great northern part of the state, you'll spend a lot of time realizing how vastly empty and desolate this state is. Outside of the population centers of LV and Reno/Carson City, there are miles of nothing.

If you don't mind roughing it, having no running water and camping out there, and packing in everything you need for your stay, it might not be that bad. Like osiruscyn said though, good luck getting in and out in the winter.

why
03-08-2009, 17:49
Thats pretty much what I was thinking. Am looking at the area as a playground that I can shape with a large earthmover.

When you say 'hard to get to', does that mean mud? From what I have seen of the climate records, there wouldnt be enough moisture(even in winter) to mess up any trail for long. I have been thru there a few times, tho it was around November fwiw. I do find the desolation strangely alluring.

And many Thanks for the replies!

Texas357
03-08-2009, 18:57
A lot of those "cheap land" deals are pretty shady. Somebody just divided up the land, sells it off, they finance, knowing that when payments are missed, they'll take the land back. The buyers usually don't know about some important details about the land, such as protected species or environmental concern that prevents development, or an upcoming change in county rules that will prevent septic tanks, etc.

Also, make sure you will be able to get to the land; often the only route will be 20 miles of winding, unkept roads on the edges of other properties, and you will get into fights with other property owners just trying to access your own property.

Be very wary of just buying land because the price looks good.

jpa
03-09-2009, 09:35
By being hard to get to, I mean Nevada has almost no snow removal/salting equipment, so roads become damn near impassible. The highway patrol frequently closes roads in northern NV during the winter. At the very least, you'll need 4x4 and chains before they'll let you on certain roads. I wouldn't worry about trails being washed out or anything that drastic, but when the snow falls in the high desert, forget about driving through it.

why
03-16-2009, 10:55
Good info guys. Thanks!