Trip to VA CCW ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trip to VA CCW ?

KYJoe
02-27-2009, 20:21
Heading down for my first NASCAR event at BMS in March, and will be staying in VA. Any insight you guys can provide regarding restrictions with carrying in your vehicle or hotel?

THANKS!!

Hokie
02-27-2009, 22:16
Only thing I can think of is the restaurant ban. You can not CC in a restaurant or club that serves alcohol but you can open carry.

Nicko
02-27-2009, 22:51
And don't leave your firearm in the old glove box/trunk either. Carry here means carry. You have to have it on you.

alien-Glocker
02-28-2009, 06:28
Virginia has a Reciprocity Agreement with Good Old Ken Tuck--you're good to for your visit in the Old Dominion.

Open carry is fine any where (the usual exceptions of court house, school, jails....) if you decide not to conceal, as said before required in restaurants with ABC-On.

If for some reason you are stopped by the police, your call to inform or not if you are carrying, no law to inform.

I'm not sure I'd leave a fire arm in a hotel.motel room unless it has an in-room safe. I'd keep it locked in my car--unloaded and empty magazine and you are fine. The trunk is considered a "container" for purposes of locking up a firearm.

stooxie
02-28-2009, 07:06
And don't leave your firearm in the old glove box/trunk either. Carry here means carry. You have to have it on you.

What's that mean? I've never heard of anything like that. If it's in the glove box, or otherwise accessible but not visible, it will be considered concealed but there's no law against leaving the weapon in a glovebox, and if it's unloaded and in the trunk you're ok by the peaceable journey laws.

I suppose I should add the standard disclaimer, IANAL.

To the OP: here's a great link that will summarize where you can't CCW in VA:

http://www.vcdl.org/static/ccw.html

-Stooxie

lethal tupperwa
02-28-2009, 07:47
"but there's no law against leaving the weapon in a glovebox,"

There are people that made their one phone call that would disagree with you.

stooxie
02-28-2009, 07:53

Hey, I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just looking for the facts. Everything I read suggests otherwise, especially this:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1969196/posts

and this:

http://www.gunlaws.com/vgogup2.htm

-Stooxie

KYJoe
02-28-2009, 07:57
Thanks to all for the responses. It is always interesting to see all the different nuances between states and their CCW laws.

Messer
02-28-2009, 08:35

I think the difference is between folks with CHL's and those without.

If you don't have a CHL, you MUST open carry - this means the handgun has to be visable to the officer - even when he walks up to your car. Most people that open carry, put in on the center console, passenger seat, even the dashboard to follow the law. Putting a loaded gun in the glovebox hides it, and is a violation of open carry.

If you have a CHL, you are allowed to conceal it - so in a holster that is out of sight, or in the glovebox *should* be good to go.

That doesn't mean a police officer with wrong info in his head will not give you trouble - just look at the fellow that was arrested twice down in Norfolk because he was open carrying. He won both lawsuits, and Norfolk had to pay thousands of dollars to settle the case - but he was right AND arrested.
(for more info, do a search on Danladi Moore & Norfolk)

Take care,
Bob S.

gtrcivic
02-28-2009, 09:15
To be on the safe side, print out the laws/statute of reciprocity w/VA and have it handy just in case. Alot of the LEOs are not up to date on what states are recognized by VA. Be safe and have fun at the races.

frank4570
02-28-2009, 13:01

What are you talking about?
A person with a concealed permit can conceal it where they want.

Wolfgang
02-28-2009, 15:24
you coming to Martinsville? Danville?

You should be ok.

KYJoe
02-28-2009, 22:07
I'll be in Bristol

Dan
03-01-2009, 09:07
I'll be in Bristol

When you get here...

Welcome to the Old Dominion to you and your gun.

Not sure how long you will be here, but take advantage of all what Va in the area has to offer.

***Feel free to take a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway with your CCW.