Public Shotgun Range Near Lexington [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Public Shotgun Range Near Lexington

KYMike
03-07-2009, 11:34
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a place to shoot clays near Lexington. I don't shoot scatterguns enough to join a private club, so something open to the public would be good.

Not really competitive clays of any sort, I just want to bust some clays for fun with the old single shot 20. Many years ago, I found clays to be the best practice for small game with the single shot. I'm contemplating a run up to Randy's, but it is an hour and a half each way. Has anyone shot skeet or trap down at the Central KY WMA in Madison County? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

AutomotiveTech
03-09-2009, 10:22
Never mind.

kdegrant
03-20-2009, 05:50
KYMike:

The Estil County Sportsmans Club between Richmond and Irvin shoots trap on Tuesday and Friday night.

KYMike
03-22-2009, 21:13
Kdegrant, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look them up. Welcome to the forum, by the way! Hope you stick around. There's a lot of good guys here on the BG section, and the forum at large.

AT, I'm seriously considering the suggestion in your previous post. I did have a bad experience on a tour of the facility several years ago, but in the last few weeks I had the chance to meet a couple of members who've made me realize I may have misjudged the club as a whole. Which is really unfortunate as it seems I may have missed out on a spending a couple of years with some really good people. The adage about throwing the baby out with the bathwater seems fitting.

ampes2004
04-04-2009, 17:50
Bluegrass Sportsman's League in Wilmore, 1100 acre of all types of shooting fun for all ages. My b-in-law and i toured several weeks ago. Very good facilities, very safe ranges, very reasonable family memberships. They host a wide variety of clay sports, rifle, and pistol national level competitions.

http://www.bgslinc.com/modules.php?name=BGSL_AboutUs

Short drive West of Madison Co.

KYMike
04-04-2009, 18:42
Bluegrass Sportsman's League in Wilmore, 1100 acre of all types of shooting fun for all ages. My b-in-law and i toured several weeks ago. Very good facilities, very safe ranges, very reasonable family memberships.

Thanks ampes. It's funny you should say that. My wife and I actually joined BGSL today. :) I'm really impressed with where the club is today. There's a really great group of people out there, and the facilities are wonderful.

oldschoolcj5
04-08-2009, 15:41
Franklin County Sportsmans Club is open to the public on Wednesdays from 3-10 and has 2 Trap fields. You can get contact information and a map here http://www.shootata.com/content/ata_zones/club.aspx?clubid=210072

Thanks,
Mike

Terminator2
04-09-2009, 07:09
I went to Elk Creek Winery near Sparta(they have a clays couse), and was going to shoot, but the weather was terrible! Anyway, next time I go, I'm shooting for sure. Look up Elk Creek Hunt CLub. Me and my gf had a good time there, stayed at the cabin. Kind of a wierd combo, I know...

kdegrant
04-28-2009, 09:14
Kdegrant, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look them up. Welcome to the forum, by the way! Hope you stick around. There's a lot of good guys here on the BG section, and the forum at large.

AT, I'm seriously considering the suggestion in your previous post. I did have a bad experience on a tour of the facility several years ago, but in the last few weeks I had the chance to meet a couple of members who've made me realize I may have misjudged the club as a whole. Which is really unfortunate as it seems I may have missed out on a spending a couple of years with some really good people. The adage about throwing the baby out with the bathwater seems fitting.
I will admit that the club can seem at first to be sort of "stuffy" (for lack of a better word). However as you get to know the guys, they grow on you (sort of like Kudzu).

Also, there is a younger (-45) presence becoming more active in the club. But the best thing is that there is a pistol/rifle 100yd range down the hill (where I spend most of my time).

I used to shoot clays there more frequently, but I am not good enough to "compete for the cash". Tuesday night early (from 6-7) is when I like to shoot, as I can get more rounds in by myself.

If you are "good", Friday night is super-competitive with a lot of 25/25 guys even from 25 yards and beyond. The reason I don't shoot Friday is because you shoot a round and get 5 or 6 25'ers going through a shoot-off back to the 40 or 50 yard line. It sometimes takes 20 minutes before the next round. The "competitive" guys looking to earn extra cash shoot at ECSC and also in Clay City.

Monday afternoon is when you really can practice over in Kingston at the CKWMA. You can shoot a lot, and it is very cheap.

Give ESCS another try. Ask for Earl or Mitch, who are outstanding guys!