Help- possum nuisance [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help- possum nuisance

DanyBoone
03-08-2009, 19:47
A friend of mine that lives out in the country came upon his golden retriever with a headlock on a possum. They have been a real problem where he lives, hanging out on his deck trying to get in the house, eating the cat food and living under the porch.
He had a 9mm Springfield XDM, shot the possum once in the head and once in the neck. As he was hauling the possum off to bury it, it:headscratch: started breathing again and he had to shoot it 2 more times. I've only hunted birds and rabbits and don't have much experience with possums and raccoons but for those of you that do, where do you shoot a possum to finish him off in one shot? Thanks for any help.

W.E.G.
03-08-2009, 20:23
cat food on the porch will attract possums anywhere

.22 to the head causes massive bleeding and certain death...

...only after they deposit about a half gallon of blood all over the porch

get rid of the cat food

noway
03-09-2009, 04:15
A friend of mine that lives out in the country came upon his golden retriever with a headlock on a possum. They have been a real problem where he lives, hanging out on his deck trying to get in the house, eating the cat food and living under the porch.
He had a 9mm Springfield XDM, shot the possum once in the head and once in the neck. As he was hauling the possum off to bury it, it:headscratch: started breathing again and he had to shoot it 2 more times. I've only hunted birds and rabbits and don't have much experience with possums and raccoons but for those of you that do, where do you shoot a possum to finish him off in one shot? Thanks for any help.

You know if you had a caliber bigger than a 9mm it wouldn't have been breathing after two shots ;)

Bitmap
03-12-2009, 16:46
You know if you had a caliber bigger than a 9mm it wouldn't have been breathing after two shots ;)

LOL. My suspicion is peripheral hits.

A solid hit with a .22 will suffice. If it isn't on the porch then a shotgun will take care of it.

My grandparents had one of those things start coming in their cat door to get the cat food inside the house. One night they found it in the house. When they turned on the lights it went under the sofa-bed. Grandma opened up the bed and Grandpa shot it with a .22. The next week they replaced the carpet.

Stop CPR
03-19-2009, 22:45
get rid of the cat food

Get rid of the cat!

drz-400
04-11-2009, 20:03
.22lr in the head

Hombre0321
04-15-2009, 18:21
Shooting and killing a Possom with one sure shot can and will try your patience. Just taking a head shot may or may not be instantly fatal no matter the caliber, as possoms have a very small brain. The one sure place for an instant kill is the back of the head where the spin and skull join. A shot here will sever the spinal colume and the deed is done. Your 9mm will do a fine job here, even though a rim fire would be just as deadly.

RS

D-GLOCK17
04-16-2009, 06:55
A couple months ago, I shot a possum with a BB gun (Daisy 880 Powerline, 177 cal). I didn't want to use a firearm because the possum was against my house and on that side, the neigbors' bedroom window is only ~30 feet away. I acutally used bbs and not pellets. I shot it about 10 times. I tried to keep the shots in the ear canal/neck area. After a couple shots, I too, thought it was dead. I couldn't see any signs of life. About a minute or two later, it started breathing and appeared to come back from the dead. It tried to get up and I shot it a couple more times. This was an intense couple of minutes. I am confident that using pellets, I could have killed it quicker, but I do not keep any pellets for it.

If your buddy has a .22, he could try a .22 CB to the ear canal. That might be a quiet, non messy way to get rid of them. Or he could try trapping, then shooting them.