Carry permit not valid second ID at Wal-Mart... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry permit not valid second ID at Wal-Mart...

The Habit
03-10-2009, 05:14
I stopped in the Rocky Mount, VA Wal-Mart yesterday afternoon with the intentions of snagging a Mossberg 835 for the upcoming spring turkey season. Of course, I only had my carry permit as my second form of ID; which I've used as my second ID for every gun purchase I've made from a dealer in VA for years. Nope... not at Wal-Mart. They didn't have carry permit listed as an acceptable form of second ID in their procedures... just the usual stuff - utility bill, passport, etc.

I was truly surprised, and a little irked, that my carry permit, which proves I'm not a felon or a nut job, wasn't valid for ID purposes. Anyway, I'll be stopping back in this afternoon with my passport and my electric bill, just in case. :upeyes:

On a related note, I saw at least 30 turkeys this weekend while driving. They were coming out of the woodwork in droves. I also saw the largest tom I've ever seen in my life. He was standing on the side of the road less than 200 yards from my house. I couldn't believe the size of this guy. I anticipate some good eating next month.

G30Jack
03-10-2009, 07:01
Considering how cheesy our permits are, it's no wonder. I bet if we had a photo ID like FL or UT, they'd take it.

All the gun stores I have purchased from in VA used my permit.

gtrcivic
03-10-2009, 07:45
Thats so Walmart of them to do that. I've used my permit in the last 5 gun purchases as the 2nd form of ID.

cabindriver
03-10-2009, 07:50
Call corporate and see if they'll change the policy.

The Habit
03-10-2009, 11:11
Well... I guess not all Wal-Marts are bass ackwards. I ran over to the Salem, VA Wal-Mart (the only other store with the 835 in stock) on my lunch break and had no problem using my permit as my second ID. I had several forms of ID just in case but I wanted to see how they would handle it. Not a problem at all. And, the Mossy 835 was $7 cheaper at the Salem store.

Broadside
03-10-2009, 16:07
Anyway, I'll be stopping back in this afternoon with my passport and my electric bill, just in case.

Make sure your current address is written (in pencil) inside your passport. There is a location to do this.

If your address is not written in your passport, then it is not a valid form of proof of address for a firearms purchase.

The requirement for a second document is not for identification purposes. You driver's license confirms you identity. The purpose is to confirm your address is current.

Also, a utility bill must be current in order to be valid. This means the due date of the bill must not have passed yet. The remittance stub with your address on it must still be attached.

You could always locate the law in Virginia's Web site or you could probably print out the necessary info on what is acceptable from the VSP's Web site and take it with you or mail it to someone in Wal-mart corporate.

MavsX
03-10-2009, 19:47
i got news for you guys: Wal-mart Sucks

Ashton
03-10-2009, 19:52
I feel for ya'll!

Javelin
03-10-2009, 19:56
I have used my CC permit as ID to get onto post before (yeah I didn't have my wallet but had my it inside my empty holster).

:)

vafish
03-17-2009, 05:58
I stopped in the Rocky Mount, VA Wal-Mart yesterday afternoon with the intentions of snagging a Mossberg 835 for the upcoming spring turkey season. Of course, I only had my carry permit as my second form of ID; which I've used as my second ID for every gun purchase I've made from a dealer in VA for years. Nope... not at Wal-Mart. They didn't have carry permit listed as an acceptable form of second ID in their procedures... just the usual stuff - utility bill, passport, etc.

I was truly surprised, and a little irked, that my carry permit, which proves I'm not a felon or a nut job, wasn't valid for ID purposes. Anyway, I'll be stopping back in this afternoon with my passport and my electric bill, just in case. :upeyes:

On a related note, I saw at least 30 turkeys this weekend while driving. They were coming out of the woodwork in droves. I also saw the largest tom I've ever seen in my life. He was standing on the side of the road less than 200 yards from my house. I couldn't believe the size of this guy. I anticipate some good eating next month.

If their paperwork follows federal law then a hunting or fishing license also qualifies as your 2nd ID.

Just spend the $12 for a license at the counter then use that as your 2nd form of ID.

My brother in law had to do that once, he had moved and hadn't changed all his addresses yet so he didn't have an 2nd ID that matched his DL. I was with him at the time and the clerk was the one who pointed out that a hunting or fishing license was acceptable.

why
03-17-2009, 17:57
If their paperwork follows federal law then a hunting or fishing license also qualifies as your 2nd ID.

Just spend the $12 for a license at the counter then use that as your 2nd form of ID.

My brother in law had to do that once, he had moved and hadn't changed all his addresses yet so he didn't have an 2nd ID that matched his DL. I was with him at the time and the clerk was the one who pointed out that a hunting or fishing license was acceptable.
We are turning into a 3rd world country.

capngeo
03-17-2009, 18:01
In Fla, the CCL is the ONLY ID you need to get a gun!