Registry cleaners? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Registry cleaners?

M2 Carbine
03-10-2009, 13:07
Is RegDefense or RegCure worth buying?
Should such a program be run often or are they an answer to a problem that isn't much of a problem?

I have run the free scan with both of them and they say there's over 1,300 problems.

RDW
03-10-2009, 14:14
I like Registry Cleaner, but it won't run on 64b Vista.

Big Al 24
03-11-2009, 19:27
Just use ccleaner. There is a link to it in my sig. You should never pay for a program like this unless it's better than the free ones.

JohnBT
03-12-2009, 05:41
I've been a daily computer user at home and work since 1986, but have the benefit of access to 2 coworkers for expert advice - high level, certified & hobbyists too - our computer engineer and our software/hardware tech. They evaluate, prescribe, install and support software/hardware for individuals with special needs, so they are dealing with some esoteric components and installation conflicts on a daily basis. If you can think of a way somebody can mess up a computer at home or school, they've seen it during the past 15 years.

I posed your question to them and they both immediately said no, it's not necessary for your average user these days if they aren't having a specific problem that calls for a registry cleaner. Even then, they said you are likely to do more harm than good if you don't know what you are trying to clean up.

John

RaiderRodney
03-12-2009, 07:05
Just use ccleaner. There is a link to it in my sig. You should never pay for a program like this unless it's better than the free ones.

Agree 100% ;)

M2 Carbine
03-12-2009, 07:39
Thanks guys.

I know enough to know what things not to mess with and the Registry is one of them. So I am not comfortable using programs that may cause a problem that I don't know enough to correct.

I do use CCleaner and it's never caused me a problem, so I'll stick with it.

I also use Spybot, which also seems to work good.

bumblefoot2004
03-12-2009, 09:19
Is RegDefense or RegCure worth buying?
Should such a program be run often or are they an answer to a problem that isn't much of a problem?

I have run the free scan with both of them and they say there's over 1,300 problems.

The thing about registry cleaners that I've used is, they discover registry errors, then fix them, but if you run the cleaner again, it finds more errors that it missed the first time. You can run the registry cleaner all day and it will still find errors, even if the cleaner said it found and fixed all of the errors.

One other thing I do is run different registry cleaners, one after the other, to see if they find the same errors.