Bass question. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bass question.

Usingmyrights
03-10-2009, 18:43
I just started bass fishing again, after laying off since last spring. I got one bite yesterday, snagged one today, but my line popped before I could even start realling him in. He hit hard, and I'm guessing there was a bad place in the line, because I barely pulled back on it. Anyway my question is why do I not have any luck with shiners. I've tried them a few times in this lake and I've never caught a fish using them. I don't even remember if I've gotten a bite off of them. Just doing a cast and retrieve with basic plastic worms works great. I don't work it any, just like I said, cast and retrieve. You'd think having a live bait would work better. Any ideas?

noway
03-10-2009, 18:59
I just started bass fishing again, after laying off since last spring. I got one bite yesterday, snagged one today, but my line popped before I could even start realling him in. He hit hard, and I'm guessing there was a bad place in the line, because I barely pulled back on it. Anyway my question is why do I not have any luck with shiners. I've tried them a few times in this lake and I've never caught a fish using them. I don't even remember if I've gotten a bite off of them. Just doing a cast and retrieve with basic plastic worms works great. I don't work it any, just like I said, cast and retrieve. You'd think having a live bait would work better. Any ideas?

bass are like any thing else. Unpredictable.

Typicaly real fishes gain strong strikes vrs a worm ( a bass knows a worm is not going to swim away at any speed )

Qs:
> How are you hooking the shiners? In the lip, back, tail,etc.....

> what type of hook are you using

> what lb line

If you not landing basses with shiners, I would look at the above and possible one or more of the above is the issue.

Usingmyrights
03-10-2009, 19:21
Through the back, so the can swim more naturually. I don't know the hook size off hand. Same size I use when I fish using worms. I wasn't using my rod setup today. I actually left mine down at the girl I was dating for alittle while house and its about an hour away. I'm guessing probably 8-10lb test.

Deersniper
03-18-2009, 19:18
I live in louisiana and i do alot of fishing and all my rods that i bass fish with are 12 pound test. I mostly fish with worms and i have find pink worms shocking to me are great for bass fishing, last time I went fishing i caught 4 bass in 30 min thats petty good because it has been rainning here. If you keep breaking your line i would change it for some new the old the line the weaker it is.

brandon911
03-22-2009, 15:54
I love bass fishing!!!! I go as much as I can. I've never used live bait. The bait / set up I use the most is the Wacky Worm. I use 12-14 flurocarbon line. Spinning or bait casting reel. Anywhere from a 1/0 - 5/0 straight shank hook. And a 5 in or bigger tiki stick worm color green and chartruse ( excuse my spelling) hooked right in the middle of the worm. I make a cast, let it fall to the bottom, raise it back and let fall. Repeat as necessary. I've got a ton of tackle, but this is my #1 go to bait. Even when the fish aren't bitting this seems to work. Give it a try. You won't be sorry.

brandon911

Brass Nazi
03-31-2009, 20:34
Your line broke and you tell us you do not know for sure what kind of line is on your reels. It sounds like it is time to respool.

Usingmyrights
03-31-2009, 21:24
Your line broke and you tell us you do not know for sure what kind of line is on your reels. It sounds like it is time to respool.

I didn't spool that reel so I can't say for sure. I've caught bass on it before. The main pole I used accidently got left at my ex's parents house which is an hour away.