Maryland Gun Transfer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Gun Transfer

zebramochaman
03-12-2009, 22:46
My son recently purchased a G-32 for me at his Virginia FFL.
Is it legal for him to personally transport the gun to a Maryland FFL to transfer the ownership to me?

KAPSIG1
03-13-2009, 07:55
Go to Maryland Shooters web page and ask the ?

blackbag
03-13-2009, 08:01
No, it has to be shipped. And if the gun was made after 2001, then if it doesn't have the casings indicating that 2 test fired bullets were sent to the Maryland State Police, then it can be transfered. In addition, you must get one of the approved internal locks as well to own it.

gclefton
03-13-2009, 18:01
Spent casings only go with newly-manufactured handgun purchases.

From www.NRAILA.org: (http://www.NRAILA.org:)

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="newsHead1" align="center">"Ballistic Fingerprinting" -- The Maryland Example:Costing Taxpayers Without Benefiting Law Enforcement</td> </tr> <tr> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="copy">In 2000 Maryland became the first state to require that new handguns must be "ballistically fingerprinted" before they could be sold in the state. Since then anti-gun activists have pushed such legislation in other states and at the federal level. They would have you believe they have discovered an effective new crime-fighting tool, but the truth is that way back in the 1960s their scheme was recognized and rejected for what it is--gun registration by another name. It deserves to be rejected once again.

Under the Maryland law, every newly-manufactured handgun is required to be fired and the distinctive markings left on the bullet and/or cartridge case recorded and entered into a database before the gun may be sold. The theory is that markings on a fired bullet or an empty cartridge case found at a crime scene could be compared to markings in the database, thus identifying the firearm used by the criminal--but not the criminal, who most likely stole the firearm in question, leaving no paper trail to follow.

To date Maryland`s law has proven to be an utter failure--it unfairly penalizes law-abiding gun owners and taxpayers, with no law enforcement value. With an average cost of $5,000 per shell casing, not a single crime has been solved. However, the number of laboratory personnel and administrators to run the program has risen, while the MSP has lost 12 troopers who would normally perform the critical job of ensuring public safety. By paying for IBIS out of community policing funds, the law is draining money from a program that monitors criminals and diverting it to a program that monitors law-abiding citizens.

'Straw Purchase' may apply:

The ATF has gone on record saying it is not a straw purchase if a relative buys a gun with the intention of transferring it to someone who can legally own it (non-prohibited person), as long as the first buyer takes ownership of it, and completes the 4473 truthfully that they will be the first owner of the gun. http://www.atf.gov/firearms/ffrrg/tr...pts/ltfour.htm (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/ffrrg/transcripts/ltfour.htm)

MD would have to get the ATF involved due to it being an interstate transaction and the ATF would identify it being legal as long as the recipient truthfully filled out the 4473, received it legally in VA, then legally transferred it to the MD FFL, and then to you. <!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->
</td></tr></tbody></table>

zenmanxxx
03-15-2009, 17:02
I know of some FFLs that charge reasonable fees for the transfer. You could ask one of them. I have seen the fee range from $40 to $95 for a handgun, and as low as $12 for a long gun. One that I deal with is in Rockville, his fee was $40 the last time I used him.

backbore
03-22-2009, 19:01
Using an FFL isn't the most expedient course of action in your circumstance. You can do the transfer at any Maryland State Police barracks. It can all be done the same day and you don't have to make an appointment.

zebramochaman
03-23-2009, 14:21
If I were to go that route is it legal for my son to transport the gun to the barracks or does it have to be shipped?

backbore
03-24-2009, 08:20
If you do the barracks you can only do it in person. You guys meet there, bring your DL and the proof that you took the safety course. They record that info, check you out, match your face to your DL. You're done in about 15min. They'll tell your son that he's supposed to hold onto the pistol for a week before giving it you (that waiting period thing). No one does it. They walk out the door and hand it over in the parking lot. Done and done.

When your son transports the pistol to Md he just needs to unload it, no rounds in the mag and no mag in the pistol, and put it in the trunk of the car in its box. He's golden. If he doesn't have a trunk then the back seat will do. It's gotta be out of reach. If he's in a pickup truck then the floor of the passenger side is acceptable.

G30Jack
03-24-2009, 08:26
You can't transfer the gun. You must send it to me.:whistling:

Did the Jedi mind trick work?:wavey:

I tend to agree with Backbore. State Police sounds so much easier.

zenmanxxx
03-24-2009, 17:53
I've gone to the State Police Barracks twice for handgun purchases from private citizens...they both were MD resudents. The fee still had to be paid for the background check (which is cheaper than using a FFL) The sellers both were sent the application back with "not disapproved" stamped on it. They were not family and did not release the firearms till they received this back....something about not wanting to run afoul with the laws of the land...HaHa! And I'm fairly sure you would not want it discovered during a routine traffic stop or an accident on the way home if you did a "trunk to trunk" transfer in the parking lot. I don't care for Marylands rules....but I care less for trouble I could have avoided.

I do not know how that works with an out of state seller/transfer. I would call the State Police and ask them instead of relying on our advice. Good Luck!

backbore
03-25-2009, 07:41
I've gone to the State Police Barracks twice for handgun purchases from private citizens...they both were MD resudents. The fee still had to be paid for the background check (which is cheaper than using a FFL) The sellers both were sent the application back with "not disapproved" stamped on it. They were not family and did not release the firearms till they received this back....something about not wanting to run afoul with the laws of the land...HaHa! And I'm fairly sure you would not want it discovered during a routine traffic stop or an accident on the way home if you did a "trunk to trunk" transfer in the parking lot. I don't care for Marylands rules....but I care less for trouble I could have avoided.

I do not know how that works with an out of state seller/transfer. I would call the State Police and ask them instead of relying on our advice. Good Luck!

They held your firearm for how long? I've done at least 7 transfers at State Police barracks (and not at the same one) and it's all gone as I described. A couple were with out of State folks and none were family. I don't dought your experience but I am curious as to which barracks you went to. I want to avoid it!

zebramochaman
03-26-2009, 00:07
Do you know if I will need to get one of the internal locks that are required if you buy a new gun in Maryland?

dwnthehatch
03-26-2009, 07:09
Since the gun is now considered to be used the internal lock is not required.

zenmanxxx
03-28-2009, 09:54
They held your firearm for how long? I've done at least 7 transfers at State Police barracks (and not at the same one) and it's all gone as I described. A couple were with out of State folks and none were family. I don't dought your experience but I am curious as to which barracks you went to. I want to avoid it!

They didn't hold it...the seller held it till the paperwork came back...about a week....same as a gun shop

zenmanxxx
03-28-2009, 09:55
It was the Montrose Rd Barracks in Rockville.

ShootCraps
03-28-2009, 10:23
Using an FFL isn't the most expedient course of action in your circumstance. You can do the transfer at any Maryland State Police barracks. It can all be done the same day and you don't have to make an appointment.

Maybe if both are Maryland residents. But if the gun owner is in Virginia I would think you'd have to transfer it to Maryland through an FFL first.

bob357sig
03-28-2009, 10:30
Just have your son ship it from a VA FFL holder to a MD FFL holder and you pick it up from the MD FFL holder.
That way all Federal laws are followed and it eliminates all this guesswork and hassle and no one can ever say that either of you did anything wrong.

backbore
03-29-2009, 07:06
They didn't hold it...the seller held it till the paperwork came back...about a week....same as a gun shop

Ah I see! In this guy's case I dought the seller will hold it up.

backbore
03-29-2009, 07:07
Maybe if both are Maryland residents. But if the gun owner is in Virginia I would think you'd have to transfer it to Maryland through an FFL first.

Not the case if done at a Maryland State Police barracks.

zebramochaman
03-29-2009, 09:18
I just noticed that you live in Damascus. Me too. I'm about a mile north of town on Ridge Road.

zenmanxxx
03-29-2009, 18:26
I just noticed that you live in Damascus. Me too. I'm about a mile north of town on Ridge Road.

I'm off of Bethesda Church in the older condos...used to live on Clearspring..then went to a townhouse, and now the condo.

I shoot at the Izaak Walton League...and run the Christmas /Chanukah/Kwanza etc etc tree/bush farm and sales there...among other things. Its a great place to shoot, and probably the cheapest! It's off of Mullinix Mill Road. If you haven't been there and would like to visit let me know. I would be more than happy to bring you as a guest.
We are developing some great shooters training programs there.

We also have bowling pin , practical defense, cowboy action, hi power rifle, precision air, precision .22 classes and shoots.

zenmanxxx
03-29-2009, 18:54
and....good luck and congrats on getting the G-32...That's a nice gift from your son! Do your homework on the transfer and do it correctly. That will make ALL of us happy.

If you have not shot anything like that before we have several NRA firearms instructors at the League in addition to Military, State, Local, Federal officers that train as part of thier job requirements. Most of this advice is free. Some requires a $5.00 payment for supplies.

Oh...and we do conservation work too...have great dinners and other social events!

zebramochaman
03-30-2009, 00:53
I will be attending the April 1 meeting to submit my application. I am currently shooting at Gilberts, but I want to shoot my own ammo. Since I have a 357 Sig, the ammo at the range is expensive. I just bought 1000 rounds of Speer fmj + 40 rounds of hydra shock to run throught the new gun. At Gilbert you have to use their ammo. 357 Sig FMJ = $32/20 rounds (ouch!). We need to hook up to shoot. What do you bring to the range?

zenmanxxx
03-31-2009, 06:03
I'll be there as will my sister I believe. I believe the social time starts at 6:30, and you meet with Joe Gick at 7:00. You tell us a little about yourself and the BOD lets you know who they are.

We have a very diverse group of members. I would urge you (as will the Board...repeatedly) to participate in events and workdays. You will meet some great people that way!

I am currently shooting my G-35 and G-24C alot at the moment. I need to qualify for a more senior RO position and get my NRA certification as an instructor...eventually a counselor. I also usually end up shooting a fair amount of .22 out of the Glocks too. It's a bit cheaper!

So I shoot from .22 to .50 cal on the pistol ranges, shoot some trap and skeet, and have some rifles for the rifle range. RRA NM Ar15, some lever action cowboy rifles, and some military stuff.

For $130 a year it's a great deal. Well the first year is a little more...some fees to national and gate card fees. Probably another $60 or so.

I'll see you tomorrow and between myself, Joe, and others we can hopefully answer any questions you have.

You will have to take a range class before you shoot. This will make you a Range Officer. All shooters have to do this so we always have RO's on the ranges. You eventually can take other training to be an SRO.

You cannot use the range until you take the class....unless you know someone who will take you as a guest...:wavey:

redduck21502
10-24-2009, 18:53
Since the gun is now considered to be used the internal lock is not required.

Internal lock is not based on new or used, it's based on date of manufacture.
Internal locks are for guns manufactured after 2002. Although this only applies to dealers selling the handgun. In this case, it is not a dealer selling or transferring. As long as you go through the MSP, no lock would be required.

Thankfully they have included Omega locks on the list. That makes just about all guns compliant.