Messing with hawks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Messing with hawks

hwyhobo
03-14-2009, 21:42
I know people enjoy falconry. I haven't seen anyone playing with hawks before, though. Is this common? The young red-tailed hawk in this picture (not a particularly good photo, but serves as illustration) will likely grow even bigger. I am not sure I would want a raptor this size anywhere close to my face. Anyone know more about this sport?

http://www.pbase.com/image/110204267/original

Fred
03-15-2009, 15:55
Wow, that's either a small girl, or a bigger 'juvenile' hawk than I imagined it would be. I know nothing of falconry, or playing with hawks; I just know that I think they are very majestic birds, and like to see pictures of them. :cool:

MrsKitty
03-15-2009, 20:16
Those are on my list of animals to be left alone. :)

hwyhobo
03-15-2009, 21:47
Wow, that's either a small girl, or a bigger 'juvenile' hawk than I imagined it would be.
The girl was @5'6", maybe a little taller. The bird was definitely to be respected.

pdogkilr
03-16-2009, 10:47
We had a hawk land on our porch rail, had to snap it quickly through the window with a point & shoot. He would have been gone before I could drag out the DSLR.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Birds/WatchingYou.jpg

The look on his face was:

"I own this yard. Anything moving across it is MINE ! "

hwyhobo
03-16-2009, 11:32
Beautiful bird, pdogkilr. I take it you didn't try to play with it? ;)

MrsKitty
03-16-2009, 18:34
I have spotted a red-tailed hawk sitting on the same power line, in almost the exact same spot, several times. I would love to catch him there when I had my camera as I could get pretty close on him.

sjfrellc
03-16-2009, 21:22
Redtail Hawks are pretty and graceful looking. But sorry I don't value them over pheasants or rabbits. Problem is these raptors decimate the rabbits and pheasants. It's illegal but I wouldn't mind shooting them(gun, not camera). All in the mind of the beholder.

The girl with a hawk, I see as a good photo.