HS45 Compact Review [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HS45 Compact Review

Kaiser Soze
03-16-2009, 06:08
Hi gang,

I decided to go back to the 45ACP platform, but wanted a pistol that can be concealed easily (I had the fullsized HS45/XD45 but at 5 foot 6 inches I found it a bit hard to conceal because the grip was long). I found that my local dealer had a new shipment of HS45 Compacts and I immediately bought one!

I got it today and it is SWEET.

Here's what it came with:

The case
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r228/kaiser_soze_photos/P3160255.jpg

Open Sesame!
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r228/kaiser_soze_photos/P3160256.jpg

The complete kit
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r228/kaiser_soze_photos/P3160257.jpg

The Pistol
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r228/kaiser_soze_photos/P3160259.jpg

It's roughly the size of a Glock 19, and the grip is just right for my mitts. It holds 10+1 rounds, so I was excited to carry it. I took it to the range and decided to give it a workout.

I fired a few boxes of Armscor ball 230gr through it and it went very smoothly. Not a single jam or misfeed. Groupings were combat accurate, but that's my fault, I got used to the Sig GSR C3 trigger, I have to reacquaint myself with the HS45 trigger.

I also fired some MagTech Gold JHP +P's through it, and man, this ammo is a bit iffy on my list. Accuracy was great, by this time I was bit used to the trigger again, and grouped within an inch and a half or so...but damn, this load is LOUD (I was already wearing SureFire EP4's and I STILL heard it) and when we turned down the lights, the fireball was approximately 12 inches or more!

The best load I found for this was Cor-Bon DPX's. They feed very well, and the recoil was amazing! It felt like I was shooting standard velocity rounds! Accuracy was also amazing!

Notes:

Although the XD45 Compact ships in the US with a 10rd mag and a 13 rd mag with sleeve extension, the HS45 Compact ships with 2 10rd magazines.

The light rail is the same as a Glock's, and fits most tactical lights very well. (Shown here with my X300)

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r228/kaiser_soze_photos/P3160261.jpg

Will add photos of my holster setup tomorrow as well!

liveandletlive
03-16-2009, 06:38
Nice one KS. This gun is on top of my short list of things to buy this July. I thought they come with a thumb safety though. How's the grip length, do you find it short for a comfortable 2-handed grip?

Kaiser Soze
03-16-2009, 06:44
Hi liveandletlive!

Just like the XD's, not all HS firearms come with thumb safeties, its an option though. Not sure if StrongHand carries the ones with thumbsafeties though, but this baby has enough safeties IMHO, the grip safety and trigger safety are enough for me :)

Black_SIR
03-16-2009, 07:32
the best size for me in terms of hieght and length too bad it comes only in .45

bro how much did u get for it??

Black_SIR
03-16-2009, 07:36
chief anu yung plastic above the pistol on the 3rd pic.. my unit didnt have that one.

arzon
03-16-2009, 07:49
chief anu yung plastic above the pistol on the 3rd pic.. my unit didnt have that one.

Bore cleaner. You place a rag on the slit at the other end and push it in.

Kaiser Soze
03-16-2009, 08:02
How's the grip length, do you find it short for a comfortable 2-handed grip?

Sorry for not answering this, the grip is fine for a two handed grip, like I said, I compare it to a Glock 19 grip. :supergrin:

Kaiser Soze
03-16-2009, 08:14
the best size for me in terms of hieght and length too bad it comes only in .45

bro how much did u get for it??

42K + Licensing

liveandletlive
03-16-2009, 10:39
Thanks again, KS. Enjoy your new gun.

theTactician
03-16-2009, 15:02
sweet..:supergrin:

s.g
03-16-2009, 22:39
Sir KS,

You bought that from Stronghand?

Are the 13-rounder mags available here already and how much? Will the 13-rounder mags for the service model work with the compact?

I'm trying to wait until July gunshow to get one of that also.

How's the thickness compared to the glock 19?

Thanks!!!

Black_SIR
03-17-2009, 07:54
42K + Licensing

good price pa rin hs being a good gun

superman79
03-17-2009, 08:47
In my opinoin, the HS/XD .45 is top notch carry pistol. It has all the advantages of the glock and more! I love the stand off device! The HS/XD 9mm version can use CZ,and Beretta mags! Can fire underwater, so no need for modification! Land groove barrel so no need for expensive factory loads!:cool:

Clusterbomb
03-17-2009, 20:33
The proportions look good. Is there enough space for your little finger for a comfortable grip of the HS45 compact? I've got large hands but my fingers are slender so a G19 fits in my hand OK. If they have the same grip lengths, I can give the HS45 compact serious consideration in the next gunshow.

jmy
03-18-2009, 04:33
How would you compare it to the HK USP45 pistol?
Thanks.

superman79
03-18-2009, 05:22
How would you compare it to the HK USP45 pistol?
Thanks.

HK USP45 is a great firearm but you cant beat the price and extras you get with the XD/HS .45. Full XD45 is 13+1 of .45ACP!

De Angelo
03-18-2009, 08:58
great gun...

Kaiser Soze
03-18-2009, 18:05
Sir KS,

You bought that from Stronghand?

Are the 13-rounder mags available here already and how much? Will the 13-rounder mags for the service model work with the compact?

I'm trying to wait until July gunshow to get one of that also.

How's the thickness compared to the glock 19?

Thanks!!!

S.G.

Yup, got it from StrongHand.

13rd magazines are available, and they are 2,300 each. The work perfectly with the compact model, but I'm going to try and buy some sleeves for them so when I use them, it'll look like I'm using the Service model.

Thickness compared to the Glock 19 is just a little thicker (remember this is 45 ACP after all) but after a while you don't notice it.

bauer
03-23-2009, 06:04
isn't that some sites mentioned that the .45 is prone to KB? though i've tried the 9mm and .40. Both are nice guns. What other magazine will fir the HS .40?

liveandletlive
03-23-2009, 07:10
S.G.

Yup, got it from StrongHand.

13rd magazines are available, and they are 2,300 each. The work perfectly with the compact model, but I'm going to try and buy some sleeves for them so when I use them, it'll look like I'm using the Service model.

They also have the plastic sleeve for 300.

I went to their store last weekend. The compact grip is a bit short leaving about half of my pinky with no grip to hold. But that's without a magazine. With the magazine inserted, the grip is ok for me. The 4 inch service is better to hold even without the mag and is only very slightly longer in grip. When I'm ready to buy, I'd still go for the compact 45 though.

Kaiser Soze
03-23-2009, 07:28
isn't that some sites mentioned that the .45 is prone to KB? though i've tried the 9mm and .40. Both are nice guns. What other magazine will fir the HS .40?

Talaga? That's odd, because .40 cals are usually the ones who KB more often because of their high pressure (which is kind of a rarity in HS/XD's because they have fully supported barrels). I'm not saying that a KB in an XD is impossible, ALL guns can have KB's (usually its an ammo problem actually).

I've shot roughly 300rds through my HS, its still too early to draw conclusions...but since this one's a keeper, I'll keep you guys posted :supergrin:

zorkd
03-23-2009, 07:40
very nice. aside from markings the springfield XD and HS is virtually the same gun right?

bikethief
03-23-2009, 08:17
Wrong. The Springfield XD slide is 0.32oz lighter than the HS2000 slide therefore it cycles faster but produces a few more joules of recoil energy. This is due to the depth and complexity of the Springfield XD logo as opposed to the simpler HS logo. Some of the weight reduction is also attributed to the different profiles of the cocking serrations. This difference also affects the aerodynamic drag coefficient of the slide during recoil but is said to be minimal at best. Only Rob Leatham has posted significantly different split times between the two pistols.

Lastly, the plastic used in the XD frame has a slightly higher nylon content because of customer demand in the US. The higher nylon component effectively surpasses the criteria for declassification as a "Tupperware Pistol." Glock has set the standard for this class and Springfield is trying to capture the market right above "Tupperware Pistols." The "Rubbermaid Firearms."

This is true. Wikipedia does not lie.

De Angelo
03-23-2009, 15:18
Wrong. The Springfield XD slide is 0.32oz lighter than the HS2000 slide therefore it cycles faster but produces a few more joules of recoil energy. This is due to the depth and complexity of the Springfield XD logo as opposed to the simpler HS logo. Some of the weight reduction is also attributed to the different profiles of the cocking serrations. This difference also affects the aerodynamic drag coefficient of the slide during recoil but is said to be minimal at best. Only Rob Leatham has posted significantly different split times between the two pistols.

Lastly, the plastic used in the XD frame has a slightly higher nylon content because of customer demand in the US. The higher nylon component effectively surpasses the criteria for declassification as a "Tupperware Pistol." Glock has set the standard for this class and Springfield is trying to capture the market right above "Tupperware Pistols." The "Rubbermaid Firearms."

This is true. Wikipedia does not lie.

great info..

bauer
03-23-2009, 19:24
Talaga? That's odd, because .40 cals are usually the ones who KB more often because of their high pressure (which is kind of a rarity in HS/XD's because they have fully supported barrels). I'm not saying that a KB in an XD is impossible, ALL guns can have KB's (usually its an ammo problem actually).

I've shot roughly 300rds through my HS, its still too early to draw conclusions...but since this one's a keeper, I'll keep you guys posted :supergrin:

True on the fully supported barrels. What I mean is, it's just hear say on my part no actual account though. They might have fixed it or the info was for the testing phase of the HS45. :supergrin:

How the recoil compared to the .40?