Gonna Visit... some clarification needed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Visit... some clarification needed

Indy_Guy_77
03-16-2009, 12:31
Hi folks,

I do belive I'm going to take a long weekend down Nashvegas way early in April...

I've read through Handgunlaw.us and I THINK that I pretty much know the dealio as far as go/no-go is concerned.

Restaurants that serve alcohol = no go.

But what about bars and taverns? If we're wandering around downtown and hit a few bars...(i don't drink...), what say ye?

How about city parks, museums, and the like?

Here in Indianapolis, there is a CITY ordinance against carrying on City property...but state parks and museums are A-OK.

I also gather that posted "No Guns Allowed" sinage carry the weight of law, correct? (Again, here in Indiana, signage doesn't carry weight of law)

Looking to stay legal...and the practicality of carrying if we're walking through Music City area of town.

Thanks,

-J-

why
03-16-2009, 13:11
Big No (for the moment, bills pending) on ANYPLACE that sells alcohol of any kind for consumption on premises.

I dont know if NAshville has a city ord against parks, but I bet they do.

Individual buildings must post a sign with what is 'essentially' the wording of the law to prohibit handguns thereon (TN makes no distinction between concealed and open carry for permit holders). It is generally agreed that the pistol outline with a red slash thru it Does Not qualify as a legal posting, but who wants to argue it in court? No doubt in my mind you would win, but just keep it concealed well if you test the bogus signage.

Any enjoy your visit! Check out the Predators if they are in town; keep an eye on the team's Inuit, Jordan Tootoo. That kid is built like a brick and slams everything that moves. Knockout power in right AND left hands.

Indy_Guy_77
03-16-2009, 13:17
Thanks, Why. I appreciate it!

I figured that bars/pubs were included, but the wording of "restaurant" isn't all that clear...

I think that I may just call the Nashville PD and ask?

-J-

Indy_Guy_77
03-17-2009, 05:53
What the?!

There's now NO reciprocity between IN and TN? (At least no Reciprocity Agreement?)

Son of a #@$^$%&*&%^%$#!@#$#@!$!@#$*****

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/reciprocity.htm

-J-

Fallguy
03-17-2009, 06:51
TN recognizes ALL permits, whether they have official reciprocity with a state or not. (See 1. on the link posted)

Local cities can not pass laws concerning the carry of firearms because the state has preemption. However cities can post city owned property.

As of now though, all local and state parks are off limits, per state law.

...and yes, if it is a properly posted sign, it carries the weight of law if you carry past it. $500 fine.

Indy_Guy_77
03-17-2009, 08:34
Dang convoluted system we live in, eh?

Part of me wants a "national" carry law...

But the other part of me greatly respects State's Rights (if/when they don't trample on Individual's rights.)

Aye, there's the rub.

OK, so no establishments that serve alcohol, and NO parks (other than National Parks and Forests...those are ok. I think.)

Y'all are a big help. 'perciate it.

-J-