Son: Dad, I am thinking about being an officer! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Son: Dad, I am thinking about being an officer!

rellek
03-17-2009, 11:04
Just looking for advice. My 25 year old son just graduated with a BS in Civil Engineering and is interested in the military. What options are available for CE grads in the Air Force? Thanks.

Ralff
03-19-2009, 10:41
I'm not an officer so I'm not entirely sure, but aside from medical I think most degrees can work in pretty much anything. Just make sure he knows that he won't be stationed in one spot for longer than 2-3 years at a time. Officers change stations quite frequently.

deadday
03-19-2009, 11:05
Just looking for advice. My 25 year old son just graduated with a BS in Civil Engineering and is interested in the military. What options are available for CE grads in the Air Force? Thanks.

The AF has greatly reduced their intake, and even dumped a lot of 2nd and 1st LTs over the last couple years....He may have better luck with the Army..

cmaylo
03-19-2009, 11:21
If he joined the Army, he'd do OCS and get to choose his branch based on how well he did in OCS. Depending on his performance, he could get what he wants, or he could get assigned based on needs of the Army. As far as engineering goes, he wouldn't be doing any engineering like he did in college, at least to my understanding.

deadday
03-19-2009, 11:48
If he joined the Army, he'd do OCS and get to choose his branch based on how well he did in OCS. Depending on his performance, he could get what he wants, or he could get assigned based on needs of the Army. As far as engineering goes, he wouldn't be doing any engineering like he did in college, at least to my understanding.

It's very possible he could. The Army is doing a lot of rebuilding around IQ and A-stan....Schools, hospitals, training facilities...

Sam White
03-19-2009, 16:18
There is actually a career field in the Air Force called Civil Engineering. It deals with the construction and maintenance of Air Force facilities. It has enlisted and officer positions.

I know at my ANG base that your son would probably not have any problems finding a position as an officer in that field. A coworker's father is a civil engineer in outside life and a CE officer as well.

In the regular Air Force it would be at their discretion to place him where they want him, and not necessarily where he would want to go.

The military is doing a lot of construction in Asia these days. I can think of places where AF CE types have been busy over the last few years.

As deadday said, the AF has been getting rid of a lot of junior officers over the last few years.

He should definitely look at the AF but not make any assumptions about what might happen.

cmaylo
03-19-2009, 20:01
It's very possible he could. The Army is doing a lot of rebuilding around IQ and A-stan....Schools, hospitals, training facilities...

From what I hear, this is mostly contracted work, not Army work.

Sam White
03-19-2009, 20:05

Where I was deployed, Americans were in charge of projects and TCN's did the manual labor.

deadday
03-19-2009, 20:07

Some of it is contracted, but most of it is still supervised by DoD personnel....

mbramsa
03-21-2009, 09:57
Where I was deployed, Americans were in charge of projects and TCN's did the manual labor.

Some of it is contracted, but most of it is still supervised by DoD personnel....

I'm deployed to Afghanistan now as part of a Provincial Reconstruction Team and the above quotes are still true. We have a small team of active duty AF CE folks who manage the projects. They also do QA and periodic assessments to make sure they're up to par and progressing properly.

OgenRwot
03-21-2009, 10:37
Navy SeaBee. My father in law is a civil engineer and he's in the construction battalion. All they do is build stuff. He was active for I think 9 years and now he's been in the reserves for a long time. Just retired after his tour in Iraq. He never even stepped foot on a boat on his last tour.

LilCop2002
03-29-2009, 19:23
I'm going to tell you now that if he decides to go Air National Guard and is looking for his commission, we have the most intense commissioning program in the US Air Force. Very demanding physically, mentally, and emotionally. We accomplish in 6 weeks what it takes the Active Duty AF 12 weeks to do...

paulanton88
04-10-2009, 00:12
<table x:str="" style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 479pt;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="638"><col style="width: 479pt;" width="638"><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td style="height: 12.75pt; width: 479pt;" height="17" width="638">Ralff has a point. Your son will have to get used to change. Congrats to him and good luck.
</td> </tr></table>

MyG19
05-03-2009, 11:11
Check with an AF recruiter and ask questions regarding Officer Training School / Basic Officer Training (do NOT be pressured with the sales pitch). Each AFB has it's own Civil Engineering Squadron... good luck.