G-36 (or maybe Kahr) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G-36 (or maybe Kahr)

dugo
03-18-2009, 13:08
Hi, folks. 3 quick questions: Saw a g36 for around $559 -- fair price these days? Also, did Glock get the bugs of a year or two ironed out? Last, any opinions versus Kahr CW45 for carry, if you have experience with both? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

dugo
03-19-2009, 16:00
Had time to look around, and looks like I can answer my own questions:

That looks like a fair price, maybe average or less for this area (w/o LE discount -- which I am not -- BUT check GSSF). Probably equals or beats what is generally available on the internet, once shipping is figured in.

Regarding "bugs", the information may be several years old. Apparently, there was some kind of recall early on after the gun was introduced. I haven't researched this, as Glock will have long since corrected any problems that old, recall or not, if they were common enough to get much attention. Recent reports seem to say, basically, that it is just that you have to have a firm grip, since the gun and the slide are on the light side. Any significant looseness in grip can cause cycling mal-functions. Doesn't seem like that would be a concern in "real-time" situations (aka, SHTF situations). Range time, just remembering to grip. No problems.

Kahr versus Glock? Been hashed over a lot on this and other forums. Do a search. Apparently, there are always additional challenges to reliability with .45's that are small and (especially) light, including 1911 pattern guns, but basically both these guns are generally good. Glock seems to have a stronger reputation for reliability than Kahr, but the 36 may be the weakest (tho' still reliable) link... still very good, just not quite as absolutely squeeze-bang as, say, the 19. (And, it is hard to tell -- but even this degree of question on the 36 may relate more to the shooter's grip than to the gun.)

Kahr is the smaller and lighter gun of the two. Kahr officially needs a break-in period, too, which some people are impatient with (arguably justifiable) and others are not (also arguably justifiable). Customer service for both guns is generally acceptable, or better. Some problems with Kahr reported but many good stories, too.)

CW Kahrs are cheaper, but not dramatically so, and extra cost is spread over the length of time the gun is owned. It may be better to get what you want and be happy for the long run than save now and be dissatisfied later. (Get the gun you want, be happy, and hang on to it for a while.)

Oh, yeah: rent 'em and shoot 'em before you buy. Almost Mandatory.

Sorry nobody took the time to answer this, as while I was going back and forth somebody else bought that particular gun; BUT THANKS to you all for having put this information out there in the first place. No sarcasm, here. This good information came from you on this forum and others like you.

Both these guns are out there, even in the current climate of high sales figures, and it won't be long before the choice presents itself again.

mallcop
03-22-2009, 17:19
I just read this post now (sorry as I work nights, kids, National Guard, etc) and can't stay on top of the web 24/7. Having owned at least one example of most common handguns I would vote for the G36 for design/ergonomics/reliability.

dugo
03-23-2009, 06:49
Thanks Mallcop. Talked to some 5 or so people live (off line, not counting folks who would like to sell me something) and seems to be about 3 to 2 for the Glock, so far. I don't think they have the experience available here, but they pretty much agree with your reasons (great minds, right?). Still going back and forth, as my vascillating mind says the CW is still smaller and should conceal easier. Hope to shoot the 36 this week. Don't know whether the range will have a CW45 to rent. I much appreciate your input.

dugo
03-30-2009, 10:21
Just to follow up with some closure: took the leap and got a G36 without shooting one first. Liking it more as I get a feel for it and compare it to "normal" compact and subcompact Glocks. Only thing is I might have liked a Short Frame version of this, similar to what they did with the 30. Haven't gotten to shoot it yet, but maybe next couple of days I will be in the country or get to the range to try it out. Still would like to try the CW45, but that will have to wait for the future. Most happy so far.

chris in va
04-07-2009, 10:33
I've been reading about a lot of issues with the 45 Kahr's. You're probably better off with the Glock until Kahr can get a hold of the defects.

dugo
04-07-2009, 21:48
Still might look further at the Kahr, as it is really small and seems to be a great design. .But I agree that it seems like the Glock will be more dependable -- at least for the present. Also, seems like it is lower maintenance, as Kahr needs to be 'wet', and Glock can be shot dry. AND will keep on shooting through abuse and neglect. Had to be out of town for a few days, and still have not shot the 36:crying:-- .

Meantime, I am surprised at how concealable it seems like it will be -- maybe more concealable than the 26! :wow: -- (Just playing with a holster so far, as I won't carry it till it has had the workout.) I think I'm going to like it! :cool:

Fungunner
04-08-2009, 03:21
You might get more feedback on your question, had you asked it in the General Firearms Forum.

I'd go with the Glock. Concealability is nice, but does you little good if the gun is not reliable. What's it going to co$t you in break-in ammo? Are you still going to be confident in the gun, if you still have failures towards the end of that break in period?

I'm not trying to sound anti-Kahr, I'm sure there are folks in the GT continuim with Kahr .45s that are spot on. I myself, have a K-9 Elite that I don't plan on parting with.

dugo
04-08-2009, 19:08
I seem to be taking your advice. I do still like the Kahr, but reliability out of the box can't beat the 36 (between the two, anyway.) Maybe a Kahr next time around.

Good point about the cost of breaking the gun in ... must say, though, I'll probably end up doing the same as the break-in period before I carry it anyway; so, in this particular case, it could be a wash. Just because it is a bit different from what I'm used to, I will probably take that long to get firmly accustomed to the gun before CC with it.

I appreciate the feedback here.