Jiujitsu unsportsmanlike conduct [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Jiujitsu unsportsmanlike conduct

theTactician
03-18-2009, 16:39
I remembered when i watched the jiujitsu world's black belt absolute division last year, i saw how unsportsmanlike conduct can happen even among top notch jiujitsu players. This amazing blackbelt named galvao humiliated a fellow blackbelt during the elimination rounds of the absolute division. The poor guy from an unknown BJJ club called yodanshai, tried to heel hook galvao but when the referee saw it, he let go right away and at that point, galvao was already upset so what he did was to first dominate him, getting into the knee on the belly position and jumped around while controlling the poor guy on the ground. the guy curled up into the turtle position and he pushed the guy making him look even more stupid. then when they restarted, same thing, this poor guy tried to jump and pull guard but his grips werent that strong and he fell and galvao somersaulted on top of him and did the jumpin around thing once again almost to the point of breakdancin on top of the guy until finally submitting him via kimura. I mean, he could've finished the fight anytime but he wasnt satisfied, he humiliated the guy in front of many, makin him look very stupid just to satisfy his ego.
It looked funny at first but come to think about it, he shouldnt have done that if he had the sense of honor, sense of respect towards his fellow combatant like samurais do. Jiujitsu was developed by the samurai and so naturally as a student and practitioner of the art, he should somehow emulate the code of honor, bushido as they call it, the way of the warrior. What he could've done was submit the poor guy right away, maybe hyperextend his joint to the breaking point or break it just to teach him a lesson but theres no need to humiliate the guy, right guys?
But andrei galvao is a great blackbelt, he's a monster on the mats and is a world champion but he should set a good example among his students and among his jiujitsu fans.
just my 2 cents.

Allegra
03-18-2009, 17:51
baka he does mma din :)

superman79
03-18-2009, 23:43
Galvao does MMA as well.. The new generation of BB's love to showboat!

theTactician
03-19-2009, 02:20
Galvao does MMA as well.. The new generation of BB's love to showboat!

yeah, he did win his first MMA. i mean, this guy is a great jiujitsu blackbelt. he even defeated carcara in the finals of the medium heavyweights at the worlds but the showboating he showed to humiliate the guy was unnecessary. im sure you would agree with me if i say that if your technique is far more superior than the other guy and you've been a world champion many times before, when faced with an inferior opponent, you would like to finish the fight right away to save some energy for the next fight and that you wouldnt find it necessary to humiliate the guy and prove to the crowd that you're far more superior.:-)

wdl
03-19-2009, 18:38
Yes, he's a good practitioner.
And show boating might be a part of the art but IMO it was done at the wrong place.
Pero may katapat naman ang lahat ng bagay. :supergrin:

:)willie

Allegra
03-19-2009, 19:15
Houston alexander yata ang sunod na kalaban nya

theTactician
03-20-2009, 01:32
Houston alexander yata ang sunod na kalaban nya

that could be fun to watch.