Never been to a range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Never been to a range

zzrayz
03-18-2009, 17:47
Hi,

Just got my first gun today, Glock 21. I've never been to a range. Can anyone give me an idea what to expect.

What do I need to bring?
How do ranges charge? hourly? by the round?
Is there anything I should look for in a range? Provided there are more than one in Ft Wayne.
Range etiquette?

I applied for my lifetime personal protection permit 3 weeks ago. Am I correct in my understanding that I cannot legally carry my gun to a range until I receive it?
If someone who has a LTCH travels with me, can I legally fire mine at the range?

Any answers or advice would be welcome

FThorn
03-18-2009, 21:50
You can lock it in your trunk and take it to and from the range AFAIK. Ask at the range THEIR rules once you get there. Or call before and understand them. Especially take 'eyes and ears'; hearing and eye protection.

rkba_net
03-19-2009, 01:49
You can lock it in your trunk and take it to and from the range AFAIK. Ask at the range THEIR rules once you get there. Or call before and understand them. Especially take 'eyes and ears'; hearing and eye protection.

This is a violation of Indiana law... it is illegal in Indiana to take a handgun to a range to target shoot etc etc WITHOUT either a Hunting / Target Permit or a Personal Protection Permit. It doesn't matter if the weapon is stored in the trunk or not. I suggest either waiting on the permit OR go shooting with someone that has one.

Scutter01
03-19-2009, 06:17
Here's a story on INGO about a guy who even asked the police if it was OK and STILL got arrested and charged. No, it's NOT ok.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/25254-asking_for_your_help.html

zzrayz
03-19-2009, 14:42
I was afraid of that. They quoted me 12 weeks on the LTCH. Until then, I can just look at my g21.

I am aware of the range at h&h in Fort Wayne. Is it a good place to shoot? Are there better ranges in Fort Wayne?

THEPOPE
03-19-2009, 20:16
I was afraid of that. They quoted me 12 weeks on the LTCH. Until then, I can just look at my g21.

I am aware of the range at h&h in Fort Wayne. Is it a good place to shoot? Are there better ranges in Fort Wayne?

Contact me......I live where you do... we can go to the range at H+H, must join, and pay per hour....20 bucks total gets you to shoot.....

".........I still remember it was autumn and the moon was shinin'...my 60 cadillac was rollin' through Nebraska, whinin'.....I am out :cool:

Pop Gunner
03-21-2009, 09:57
Once you get your permit,shoot the heck out of that bad-boy!
I was down at Atterbury awhile back,I was shooting rifle.I seen a DNR officer pull in,get out of his green suv,walk down to the pistol area and start asking all the shooters for their permits.
And I thought how low,we gonna go with this?
The RO in charge was a few paces back and acting like his sub-servant under-study!
I finished my round of ammo and never went back!

FThorn
03-22-2009, 08:37
asked long gun shooters for licenses?

zzrayz
03-23-2009, 17:15
I found out my neighbor has a permit. So I had him transport my gun for me.
My second cousin lives out in BFE. So we headed out there and setup some targets on his woodpile.
I loaded my first clip. Squeezed. It was great!
I thought getting to shoot my gun would hold me over until I got my permit.
It did not. Now I can't wait.

AA#5
03-23-2009, 17:21
"PROTECTION PERMIT?"

"12 WEEK WAIT FOR IT?"

:wow:

I thought CA was the worst state for gun ownership. When I bought my S&W 500 at a store with a range, I was able to shoot it BEFORE the 10-day wait.

zzrayz
03-23-2009, 18:07
Lifetime protection.
Quoted 12 weeks.

undrgrnd44
03-23-2009, 23:47
Wow, so let me get this straight, you cannot take your pistol to a range without a permit???

When did this take effect?, I have been to the Brookeville pubic range tons of times, and never has the range master asked for any sort of permit..
Maybe I missed something here.

zzrayz
03-24-2009, 04:13
without a permit you can have a hand gun on your property.
you can drive it home, unloaded, in the original case after purchase.
you can drive it to and from a repair shop to be fixed.
you can transport to your new home if you move.
other than that it can not legally leave your property with it.
I imagine you would have to have some kind of proof to back up these reasons for transport.

I got around this by having a permit holder drive it for me. as handguns in Indiana don't have to be registered, no one could prove it was my gun and not his. when I was at my cousins property, no one could prove my gun was not my cousins.

So I THINK I was following the law, kind of. a permit holder transported it and it was used on private property by the owner of said property. as my cousin shot it too, it is as if it were his gun and he let me try it.

I think I was following the law close enough not to get into trouble. Does anyone know of a reason this would not hold up legally?

Scutter01
03-24-2009, 06:17
"PROTECTION PERMIT?"

"12 WEEK WAIT FOR IT?"

:wow:

I thought CA was the worst state for gun ownership. When I bought my S&W 500 at a store with a range, I was able to shoot it BEFORE the 10-day wait.

Lifetime protection.
Quoted 12 weeks.

State Law requires the issuing authority to pass or deny within 60 days. Realistically, you used to be able to get your license in a couple of weeks. However, they've been so backlogged with new applications since the election that it's drawing out their schedule quite a bit. 10-12 weeks is NOT normal, however. The license in Indiana is really the worst part of it. Once you're past that, Indiana is one of the most gun-friendly states in the Union.

Wow, so let me get this straight, you cannot take your pistol to a range without a permit???

When did this take effect?, I have been to the Brookeville pubic range tons of times, and never has the range master asked for any sort of permit..
Maybe I missed something here.

The range master is not responsible for ensuring that you are properly licensed, nor does he have the authority to detain and arrest you for carrying without a license. However, there have been anecdotal stories of DNR officers showing up at Eagle Creek and checking everyone there. The law is quite clear and there is no room for misinterpretation. Just because you have gotten away with it "tons of times" does not mean you were legal. It's either a Class A misdemeanor or a Class C felony, depending on your location at the time of your arrest (for example, within 1000 feet of a school).

Added in 1983 and amended several times since, as indicated in the statute.

IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
(b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35.

I think I was following the law close enough not to get into trouble. Does anyone know of a reason this would not hold up legally?

Yes, that's perfectly legal.

For your reference, here's a link to the whole of the firearms statutes for IN, and a second link pointing to just the licensing part.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/index.html

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch2.html

Pop Gunner
03-24-2009, 18:03
Yes that was a DNR officer doing the shake-down at the pistol range,
I observed this while shooting rifle,next alley over.
no permits needed to shoot,transport or talk rifle,
don't even think about without a permit for a pistol!

deadmonkey90
03-24-2009, 18:41
This is a violation of Indiana law... it is illegal in Indiana to take a handgun to a range to target shoot etc etc WITHOUT either a Hunting / Target Permit or a Personal Protection Permit. It doesn't matter if the weapon is stored in the trunk or not. I suggest either waiting on the permit OR go shooting with someone that has one.
What? your crazy, you do not need a permit for anything just to take your gun to a range and target shoot it. its a good idea to get your indiana carry license, but not at all necessary.

Javelin
03-24-2009, 18:54

You are seriously kidding...

Scutter01
03-24-2009, 21:00
What? your crazy, you do not need a permit for anything just to take your gun to a range and target shoot it. its a good idea to get your indiana carry license, but not at all necessary.

So, you missed where the statute was posted a few posts above, then? If you can point out the part where it says it's OK to take it to the range without a license, I'd be much obliged.

jdhaines
03-25-2009, 08:59

:rofl::rofl:

:faint::wow:

Indy_Guy_77
03-25-2009, 13:24
You are seriously kidding...

Nope, that's the law, as it stands, in Indiana.

But I can guarantee that there are thousands of folks who don't follow the law.

Unfortuantely...

-J-

Scutter01
03-25-2009, 13:29
Nope, that's the law, as it stands, in Indiana.

But I can guarantee that there are thousands of folks who don't follow the law.

Unfortuantely...

-J-

It's definitely annoying. However, to make up for it, we have the lifetime LTCH (shall-issue, even), open carry, and we can own and shoot pretty much anything but a short-barreled shotgun (full auto, suppressors, AOW's, etc). Indiana really is pretty gun-friendly, with the exception of unlicensed transport.

CatHerder
03-31-2009, 14:10
Just got a G22 this month as well; my first gun. My wife, older son and I took the free handgun safety class at H&H. One of the first things that the DNR officer told us was 'don't take your gun off of your property without a permit - period'. Went down to the FWPD office and applied a few days later for a lifetime PP permit, on my birthday no less. :) The waiting period is the only lousy thing in IN about getting the permit. In fact, IN's permit is so lax that other states won't honor it, like OH. OH requres (IIRC) 12 hours of instruction and for you to demonstrate basic competency to get a concealed carry permit. I've got a couple coworkers that have permits that have voluteered to take me to the range; will be taking them up on it after Easter. H&H's indoor range is pretty nice. There's an outdoor range at the Roush Reservoir. http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/5258.htm . From what my coworkers have said, it's really nice. Here's a map.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=40.831354,-85.43076&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=17&sll=40.831216,-85.43031&sspn=0.004164,0.006834&ie=UTF8&ll=40.831216,-85.43031&spn=0.004351,0.006834&t=h&z=17

zzrayz
03-31-2009, 19:34
I've heard there is a conservation club in ossian. Has anyone been there? Is anyone a member? Any details would be helpful.

feelinlucky?
03-31-2009, 19:59
quote-The license in Indiana is really the worst part of it. Once you're past that, Indiana is one of the most gun-friendly states in the Union.

Unless you are traveling through from another state. No reciprocal agreement with other states.

resdep
04-01-2009, 05:16
The Auburn Conservation Club has a range available for members. Membership is $30/year. If anyone is interested PM me and I can fix you up. They are hosting an Appleseed Rifle Marksmanship Clinic in May too.
resdep

cnutco
04-01-2009, 06:29

WOW, that sux.:dunno:

coachg
04-01-2009, 07:07
You have to be very careful. In Pennsylvania, you can take your gun to the range without a LTCF if properly secured, but you cannot stop anywhere along the way. If you pull into WalMart and TRY to by ammo along the way, you are in violation of the law because it could be construed as two separate trips. Bummer, because now you have a misdemeanor and you won't be shooting for a long time.

I tell everyone to just get the permit and rest easy.

JohnP82
04-02-2009, 00:23
I go to Roush lake every saturday and absolutely love it! Used to go to H&H 3 to 4 times a week a couple of years ago you know when ammo was still affordable!! Since my membership expired I have only shot there every now and then when I needed to because of the good ol indiana weather:supergrin:

Scutter01
04-02-2009, 06:25
The license in Indiana is really the worst part of it. Once you're past that, Indiana is one of the most gun-friendly states in the Union.

Unless you are traveling through from another state. No reciprocal agreement with other states.

Indiana recognizes any handgun permit from any state or country, as long as you're not an Indiana resident (for that, you need an Indiana license).

IC 35-47-2-21
Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Indy_Guy_77
04-17-2009, 07:55
Indiana recognizes any handgun permit from any state or country, as long as you're not an Indiana resident (for that, you need an Indiana license)

Also, you would be surprised at how many states DO recognize Indiana's permit...

AK*, AL, AR, AZ, CO, FL, GA, ID, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NH, OK, PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT*, WY(* Vermont (VT) & Alaska (AK). Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed. No Permit/license is required.)

There is also what are known as peaceable journey laws. These are on a federal level; meaning that you CAN travel through other states with your firearm(s) even though they may not recognize your carry permit/license.

BUT: if the state doesn't recognize your permit, then you'll probably have to end up storing the firearm and ammunition in lockable compartments unreachable from the passenger cabin.

ETA - you'll also be hard-pressed to find any state that has any kind of formal reciprocity agreement with Indiana. Reason being is that Indiana doesn't require any kind of formal agreement, many other states do not. There's recently been a big stink about TN not having a formal reciprocity with Indiana; which is absolutely true. However, just because there's not a formal agreement does not mean that we can't carry in TN; just that there's no formal written reciprocity agreement. Worded differently: States that require a formal reciprocity agreement to be written get one, states that don't require one don't have one.

-J-

CatHerder
04-17-2009, 16:35
So what's the easiest way for a guy in IN to get a permit that would work in OH?

jordanrw
04-20-2009, 21:57

Agreed! You guys need to read the statute more carefully. The law clearly defines the difference between "posses" and "carry." You cannot drive to the range with your gun loaded on your person or in your vehicle (this is considered carrying and YOU NEED A PERMIT FOR THIS). Possession of the gun, as I have been advised, in your trunk, UNLOADED (magazines too) is considered possession and you can transport your gun to the range as such. If you read the definitions section of the links provided above you will notice the careful uses of POSSES and CARRY.

I have highlighted one in orange below (note this was the first clear statement of both I could find. In this part of the statute is limiting a persons right to posses and carry unless otherwise given the right back to posses).

IC 35-47-2-1
Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
(b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35.

resdep
04-21-2009, 03:50
Agreed! You guys need to read the statute more carefully. The law clearly defines the difference between "posses" and "carry." You cannot drive to the range with your gun loaded on your person or in your vehicle (this is considered carrying and YOU NEED A PERMIT FOR THIS). Possession of the gun, as I have been advised, in your trunk, UNLOADED (magazines too) is considered possession and you can transport your gun to the range as such. If you read the definitions section of the links provided above you will notice the careful uses of POSSES and CARRY.

I have highlighted one in orange below (note this was the first clear statement of both I could find. In this part of the statute is limiting a persons right to posses and carry unless otherwise given the right back to posses).

This statute pertains to someone convicted of domestic battery. That person cannot posess a firearm much less carry one.
Transporting, posessing, sticking a gun in the trunk and taking it to a range is illegal in Indiana unless you have a license to carry a handgun or a hunting and target permit.

resdep

jdhaines
04-21-2009, 06:04
ResDep is correct. This has been discussed countless times and verified by many sources over at http://www.ingunowners.com Take a look over there if you are still confused. It's annoying to say the least, until you get a permit. I actually not against it though. It's essentially saying "No one can do anything with a handgun until you have been fingerprinted and background checked (except keep it at your house or business)." The beauty of Indiana is that once you have the permit, you have some of the best gun rights and rules in the country.

jordanrw
04-21-2009, 08:36
This statute pertains to someone convicted of domestic battery. That person cannot posess a firearm much less carry one.
Transporting, posessing, sticking a gun in the trunk and taking it to a range is illegal in Indiana unless you have a license to carry a handgun or a hunting and target permit.

resdep

I understand what the statute pertains to (I even note so above) my point in hightlighting it again was to: outline to difference between POSSESS and CARRY. Again, you do not need a license to POSSES in the state of Indiana (unless you can show me where the statute says explicitly you need a license to POSSES not CARRY) Every clause in the statute above deals with CARRYING. Read my post again.

jdhaines
04-21-2009, 08:41
How do you plan to possess it all the way to the range and back without carrying it?

From the statute "a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body"

Using your logic, they are separating "carry in a vehicle" and "on the body" with the word or. I can't think of a way to get a gun to the range without carrying it in a vehicle. If you walk it would have to be on your person.

Really, take a look at the website I posted above. It's all Indiana Gun Owners (Hence the clever title). This has been beat to death by people, police, lawyers, and letters to applicable government officials.

resdep
04-21-2009, 16:25
Jordanrw,
I see your point. A person may "posess" a handgun, but a person may not carry that handgun except in a few very limited instances without a license.
I believe the original posts that started this thread was about a new handgun owner transporting his gun to a range without a permit.
resdep

Javelin
04-21-2009, 17:42
You folks in Indiana need to take back your Constitutional Rights.........

This license thing is really ridiculous.

JohnP82
04-21-2009, 20:51
What is the problem with needing a license to carry a handgun? If you are a law abbiding citizen then you can obtain a license to carry fairly easily. I have had one since I was 21. I have no problem with needing a carry permit. It is not my problem if a convicted felon cannot get a gun in my state. Guess they should have followed the law!

resdep
04-22-2009, 03:45
I agree with Javelin FWIW. The problem with needing the state's permission is the state constiution does not require a license. This is a law someone thought up and got passed. I'll have to search the background. It might be interesting to see what brought that about.

jdhaines
04-22-2009, 20:44
I'm not against it either. I realize some are crazy 2A, but I'm actually not against all forms of gun control. I think that a normal law abiding citizen should have the right to purchase guns, and carry guns both concealed and open. If that means I have to get fingerprinted, licensed, back ground checked, and wait a "cool off" period, so be it. I'm fully against the places where people are willing to jump through the hoops, but the gvt. still says no.

I'm willing to jump through the hoops. I better damn well be able to carry however I want, everywhere I want, and purchase what I want. In Indiana, we are very close to that. I'm about 98% happy with our gun laws.

THEPOPE
05-14-2009, 21:34
Hey, zzrayz, didja get your permit yet ?

Been to a range yet ?

My offer still stands, if you want a bit of company, lemme know .

"........she's the miss beauty oh so sweet...the kind of girl you only meet in your dreams....when she smiles the stars all seem to know, 'cause one by one they seem to light up the sky...." I am out :cool: