barrel polishing ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : barrel polishing ?

CTP
03-18-2009, 18:18
What is the easiest way to polish a glock barrel?

up1911fan
03-18-2009, 18:42
wet dry sand paper with mineral spirits, go 220,320,400 then polishing compound on a felt wheel in your dremel.

Sq1
03-18-2009, 18:55
Does this make it more prone to rusting?

up1911fan
03-18-2009, 19:09
A little CLP goe's along way, most of my 1911's have Kart barrels with polished hoods and i've never seen anything even close to rust.

faawrenchbndr
03-18-2009, 19:23
I soaked mine in white vinegar for three hours.
Scrubbed what was left of the finish off with a BLUE ScotchBrite pad.
Washed with a baking soda slurry,
Used a Dremel with felt pad and Mother's Mag polish.
Keep the Dremel moving, first speed setting. Wipe periodically.
Whe polish starts to dry, wipe clean, reapply polish and buff some more.
I was careful not to use the Dremel at the muzzle.

You can polish by hand if a Dremel is not available.

wheel
03-18-2009, 19:27
Don't use sandpaper - there's really no need for such harsh abrasives. As others stated, mag wheel polish works well, as does a dremel with some red rouge. Scotchbrite pads are good too.

As far as rust goes, it's a non-issue. You're just removing the black oxide coating. The tennifer protection still remains, penetrating into the metal several mils.

Paul_J
03-18-2009, 19:44
If you use the white vinegar, make sure you degrease the barrel first. Just use dish washing soap and a good scrub. Oils will prevent the vinegar from dissolving the black coating. An all purpose cleaner works good too like Simple Green.

The fine scotch bright pads will not harm the surface and remove the remaining black fairly quick.

Polish with mag wheel polish.

Like "Wheel" said, rust is not an issue.

faawrenchbndr
03-18-2009, 19:46
Good point Paul_J mentioned,.......
I did leave that step out,..... good catch!

Jimmy P
03-18-2009, 20:58
what is the point of doing this polishing? for looks?

up1911fan
03-18-2009, 20:58
Pretty much.

WarpedShadow
03-18-2009, 21:05
i was house sitting the parents house, i had my g17 with me and sat down and watch all three matrix movies in a row while polishing the barrel.

after the third one i looked down and i was holding a mirror! just some polish and a soft cloth.

Bushidomosquito
03-18-2009, 22:00
wet dry sand paper with mineral spirits, go 220,320,400 then polishing compound on a felt wheel in your dremel.

Nope, start with 400 then 600 and 800. Anything coarser than 400 is going to remove metal too fast.

Jahfakin
03-18-2009, 22:05
What is the easiest way to polish a glock barrel?

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12443706&postcount=54

Soak the barrel for 2 hours in vinegar. rinse it off and then began polishing by hand using Mothers mag and aluminum polish (http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05100-05101.html). I polished it while watching Top Ten (tanks) on the Military Channel (http://military.discovery.com/video/top-tanks/top-tanks.html). Used about a dozen sheets of cheap dollar store paper towels, and I was done within an hour.

http://garylambert.us/images/g23_barrel.JPG

faawrenchbndr
03-19-2009, 04:09
Just my opinion,...... keep sandpaper away from the barrel!

Jahfakin
03-19-2009, 04:29
Just my opinion,...... keep sandpaper away from the barrel!

definitely keep it away. I only used paper towels.

Bowtie
03-19-2009, 08:46
No need for sanding or soaking..Mothers Mag pollish and a felt wheel on a dremil..Took all of 20min. for a mirror shine..

KAPSIG1
03-19-2009, 09:13

I bought a Polished Factory Barrel from this guy. He did a great job.

Scott_F
03-19-2009, 10:16
i polish my barrel constantly....

beefums
03-19-2009, 10:22
Okay, if you're retarded like me and don't want to sit there with sand paper, grit, etc, do this:

Maas metal polish, a Silver cleaning cloth with a "polish" rag and cotton gun swabs is all you need.

Put Maas onto the cloth, rub down the barrel for about 10-15 minutes. You'll be able to see the steel underneath the finish. Clean it off with CLP, wipe it all down, continue rubbing with more polish. Keep going until it seems the finish is off. Then, take the silver polishing cloth and rub the barrel until it shines. I did it with two of my barrels and they look amazing.

faawrenchbndr
03-19-2009, 10:32
I bought a Polished Factory Barrel from this guy. He did a great job.

Thanks,.... glad you like it.

Bushidomosquito
03-19-2009, 19:03
Just how long do you all have to rub with paper towels to get the machine marks out? Don't confuse a mirror shine with a mirror finish. Mirror finish means no marks at all in the metal and for that you need sandpaper. I keep it away from the end of the barrel because I don't want to reduce the diameter but if you sand the flats with fine paper backed by glass and stop when the marks come out you will be fine.

81jasonG23
03-19-2009, 19:44
I used a green scotch pad to remove the black. Then MAAS metal polish (or flitz) with a felt wheel on the dremel. When I got it pretty shiny I put some metal polish on a pad of 0000 steel wool and rubbed the poo out of it for about 10 minutes... the sucker came out looking like it was chrome plated...

I used this method to polish other metals and figured it would work here too...good luck

p.s. do the feed ramp while your at it. the dremel gets it done fast on low speed. (black should be gone already if you shoot it)

faawrenchbndr
03-19-2009, 19:55
Just how long do you all have to rub with paper towels to get the machine marks out? ......

I left them,.... gives the oil a bit of a bite to stay in the hood.
And I did not want to sand.

peteG21
03-20-2009, 06:34
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12443706&postcount=54

last night got a little bored and followed each step and polished the hell out of my G30 barrel and wow what a difference..I used mothers polished, after it soaked for two hours with vinegar I scrubbed the barrel with a paper towel and vinegar rinsed and went at it,by hand. an hour and half later mirror finish.I didnt polished the ramp too much. Thanks.. for the info will post pics tonight after work.

faawrenchbndr
03-20-2009, 07:23
Tete'
Did you sand the barrel hood top and sides?

Sully:vz-58
03-20-2009, 07:34

That could be misconstrued.:faint:

faawrenchbndr
03-20-2009, 07:37
That could be misconstrued.:faint:

Ya think?! :rofl:

peteG21
03-20-2009, 07:55
Negative. no sand paper at all all I did was let it sit for 2 hrs with white vinegar than scrubed the barrel with regular papel towel and vinegar and put the barrel back on the vinegar jar and scrubbed it with water dried it and started polishing by hand .Extremely easy.the vinegar will take like 80% of all that black finish off ,the mothers polish will do the rest

peteG21
03-20-2009, 08:00
Once you start applying the polish right away the barrel start to shine,Im doing the G21 next tonight.

faawrenchbndr
03-20-2009, 08:02
Same as I did,...... looks great! :dancing:

peteG21
03-24-2009, 06:03
here is my pic of my G30 barrel after polishing with Mothers Mag polish by hand...Mirror finish....I took the pic with my phone ...

jp0319
03-24-2009, 06:26
Wow, really? Polish a glock barrel? Glocks are work horses not show horses. Not made to be pretty. To each their own I guess, but the only thing polished on mine is the feed ramp.

DGreno
03-24-2009, 06:44
I soaked m G30 barrel in vinegar for about an hour. I scrubbed it with a green brillo pad and then hit it with a buffing wheel on my grinder. Came out great and only took about 10 mins of buffing. I also did the ends of the frame pins, the slide release and the slide catch.
Im still debating on if I want to do it to other guns. The G30 stays in my nightstand FWIW. :wavey:

ETA: Mothers polish can go a long way on bringing out the shine. I used it on my 1022 receiver.

jamesbeat
03-24-2009, 07:21
I'm not a metallurgist, so I'm most likely worrying for nothing, but I don't know if I'm comfortable with the idea of soaking a barrel in an acid solution (ie vinegar) because of something called 'hydrogen embrittlement'.

Here's some blurb on the subject:
http://www.vmplating.com/training3.htm

The barrel is a pretty critical component, and the types of steel used for firearm barrels is particularly prone to this type of damage.

I'm probably just talking out of my a**, but it's worth looking into to be on the safe side.
Anyone qualified to give an opinion on this?

mapwd1702
03-24-2009, 17:18
What does the vinegar do to the inside bore? I have polished the barrels on all my Glocks and have always just used Flitz on a felt dremel wheel. Works great.

Bowtie
03-24-2009, 19:35
You can pollish 3 barrels in the time it takes to soak it..Skip that step, Its a waste of time..

mapwd1702
03-24-2009, 20:11
you said it Bowtie:agree:

Jahfakin
03-25-2009, 01:15
I'm not a metallurgist, so I'm most likely worrying for nothing, but I don't know if I'm comfortable with the idea of soaking a barrel in an acid solution (ie vinegar) because of something called 'hydrogen embrittlement'.

Here's some blurb on the subject:
http://www.vmplating.com/training3.htm

The barrel is a pretty critical component, and the types of steel used for firearm barrels is particularly prone to this type of damage.

I'm probably just talking out of my a**, but it's worth looking into to be on the safe side.
Anyone qualified to give an opinion on this?

You worry too much...5% acid is not nearly strong enough to do anything harmful to the bore or barrel. vinegar is just barely strong enough to soften up the blue (or black coating) on the barrel.....beyond that it doesn't harm or stress the metal.

Jahfakin
03-25-2009, 01:23
You can pollish 3 barrels in the time it takes to soak it..Skip that step, Its a waste of time..

I don't have a buffing wheel or a dremel.....so soaking it makes it easier when doing it by hand.

zini1
03-25-2009, 09:42
If you don't have a Dremmel to polish it, it is going to make things much easier to soak it in Vineagar first. If you do have a dremel you really don't have to soak it in Vineagar but it does make things easier. Let it sit in some white vineagar for roughly two hours, wipe off what black you can(it isn't going to just all come off at once, it will take some work). Once you quickly wipe of what black you can, mix some baking soda and water together and let it sit in that for a couple of minutes(this takes the acidity off from the vineagar) then either take your dremmel or cloth and start rubbing with Mother Mag Polish or something of the sort. If you are going to use a Dremmel I would recommend using one of those black nylon brushes until you get all the black off and then switch over to some sort of felt buffing wheel, it will save you time and money switching dirty felt wheels and buying more and more and more... In terms of the black coming out of the barrel, when you are done polishing it, I would once again soak it in vineagar for an hour or two and then run some patches and a brush though the barrel to take as much of the black out as possible, you will probably notice that if you soak it once again after it has been polished small black specks will appear on what you have polished but just go over the entire thing one more time once you are done soaking it in the vineagar and then baking soda.

But I would just not polish it at all, it seems that whenever I customize something on a gun, at some point I wish I would have just left it alone...:rofl:

Deputydave
04-16-2009, 09:51
Excellent thread! I learned some new things, always a plus.

I have a question on the slide please, I've seen many two-glocks and always thought they looked sharp. Is it possible to 'polish' the slide yourself or is this something that has to be done by a professional? I remember that a place near me use to bead blast the slide (or something to that effect) but charged a substantial fee to do so. This has been years ago that I called them. Is there a simple way to do it yourself? Thank you.

jdwatson
04-16-2009, 10:11
Wow, really? Polish a glock barrel? Glocks are work horses not show horses. Not made to be pretty. To each their own I guess, but the only thing polished on mine is the feed ramp.

How did you polish your feed ramp ?

faawrenchbndr
04-16-2009, 10:30
How did you polish your feed ramp ?

I have just placed some Mothers on my finger and polished the feed ramp.
You can also use a piece of cloth, t-shirt works best, no Dremel here please.

k594
04-16-2009, 10:34
DON'T USE SANDPAPER! i did vinegar soak then just used paper towels with polishing compound,

HiredGun77
04-16-2009, 12:30
If you change your mind how can you get it back to black? I have a Lone Wolf I would like blackend.

mapwd1702
04-16-2009, 12:34
Crylon!! J/K. I think you would have to send it somewhere to have it blackened again.

faawrenchbndr
04-16-2009, 13:25
If you change your mind how can you get it back to black? I have a Lone Wolf I would like blackend.

When I decided I wanted a polished barrel for my G19, I bught a spare.

My suggestion would be to send the LW barrel to Robar and have it coated in
Rogaurd.

Jim S.
04-16-2009, 15:30
I have a question on the slide please, I've seen many two-glocks and always thought they looked sharp. Is it possible to 'polish' the slide yourself or is this something that has to be done by a professional?

You can polish the slide. I have a friend who did his 23. Started with 220g sandpaper laid flat on a smooth table. Worked his way through 400, 600, 800 and finished with 1000g paper. He worked his butt off but it looks like chrome. Grooves on back of slide still have black between them. Looks sharp but I don't think I would want to do that much work.

Deputydave
04-16-2009, 16:09
You can polish the slide. I have a friend who did his 23. Started with 220g sandpaper laid flat on a smooth table. Worked his way through 400, 600, 800 and finished with 1000g paper. He worked his butt off but it looks like chrome. Grooves on back of slide still have black between them. Looks sharp but I don't think I would want to do that much work.

Thank you Jim.

Is this all dry sanding or was any of it wet sanding?

I'm assuming this is a 'pack-a-lunch' type project.

Jim S.
04-17-2009, 01:48
Is this all dry sanding or was any of it wet sanding?

He did it all dry. I was mistaken on the 220g. It was 320g. He laid the paper on a flat surface and rubbed the slide "up and down" on the paper. He went through a lot of paper and eventually ended up with something I didn't think could be done. It is like a mirror finish without any brushed effect. He said he did it in one day but it was hard work. 320g, 400g, 600g, 800g, and finished with 1000g. It looks really nice but if It were me I would consider this a while before you start. Once it's shiney it's shiney.

MikeLadner
04-17-2009, 02:22
No need for sanding or soaking..Mothers Mag pollish and a felt wheel on a dremil..Took all of 20min. for a mirror shine..

Yep...

Bushidomosquito
04-17-2009, 12:43
He did it all dry. I was mistaken on the 220g. It was 320g. He laid the paper on a flat surface and rubbed the slide "up and down" on the paper. He went through a lot of paper and eventually ended up with something I didn't think could be done. It is like a mirror finish without any brushed effect. He said he did it in one day but it was hard work. 320g, 400g, 600g, 800g, and finished with 1000g. It looks really nice but if It were me I would consider this a while before you start. Once it's shiney it's shiney.

This is the way I did my Glock barrel and the slide on my Beretta pimp gun. I would start with 400 and do it wet on a piece of glass or granite tile. Sand in one direction opposite the machine marks until they almost disappear and switch to a finer grade and sand the other direction until the marks from the previous grit disappear. Work it this way down through the grits to 1000 grit and a little rubbing with Maas on some clean flannel will make it look like a tiny compact mirror. That's only to take out the machine marks, if you're ok with them and just want the black off then skip she sanding and use Flitz or Maas. The ones crying "NO SANDPAPER!:crying:" have either started to coarse or gone too far with it and messed something up or they just don't don't like the sound of it but nobody is getting a mirror polish and especially not a perfectly flat mirror polish just by rubbing it with Mothers Mag unless they started with a barrel that happened to have no machine marks. I measured accross the flats of my glock barrel with a micrometer before, during and after sanding and the width was reduced by a whole .0015". That's one point five thousandths of an inch. makes no difference to the funtion of the gun.

I don't claim to be an expert on much of anything but I've been making titanium and damascus jewelry and the occasional knife for about 15 years so when it comes to polishing hard metals y'all should listen to me. :tongueout:

faawrenchbndr
04-17-2009, 13:14
Bushido'

Thanks for sharing!

Z1232K
04-17-2009, 17:14
Forgive me for not already knowing, but, what is the reason for avoiding the muzzle with the dremel? :dunno:

Bowtie
04-17-2009, 17:16
Forgive me for not already knowing, but, what is the reason for avoiding the muzzle with the dremel? :dunno:

There is no reason..Some folks just arent good with power tool and more than likely would **** it up..Although I cant see how using a felt wheel and Mothers mag..

Deputydave
04-18-2009, 07:29
Using the info in this thread, I soaked one of my G19 barrels in white vinegar for a few hours. While it was soaking I ran up to the auto store and got a small jar of Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish.

Well, it worked just as everyone said and came out looking sharp!

I also got some info in the thread about coloring the slide lettering. That worked well also and I did it with white nail polish.

Still thinking about polishing the slide. Sounds easy enough, just don't know if I want to do it or not.

HAMMERHEAD
04-18-2009, 08:26

Do not use sandpaper on your Glock!

Hey newbie, what the heck? Advising people to use sandpaper on their Glocks?

Do you understand what tennifer is?

zini1
04-18-2009, 09:46
I would highly recommend NOT POLISHING THE SLIDE unless you have lots of experience with wetsanding or you are not very picky with how your guns look. I did it to my slide and I have had not a lot but some wet sanding experience and I did not like how it turned out. It you want to modify your slide contact Todd at customizedcreationz.com and have him either polish it or better yet cerakote it. He can cerakote you slide in many different colors for around $50. Polishing the barrel is a snap compared to polishing your slide. The glock barrels are smooth by nature where as the glock slides are sand or bead blasted before they are painted. In order to make them look alike or to even get all of the black off the slide you are going to have to sand it down to a smooth finish. The black paint will not come out of the pores on the slide unless you sand it. I first tried vineager, then paint thinner, then air plane paint stripper and the only way to get it off was to wet sand it.

bocephus549
04-18-2009, 10:00
I've been thinking about asking the local jeweler how much he would charge to do a barrel. I bet jewelers rouge would do a fantastic job. They use that on a bench grinder with a big felt wheel.

Jim S.
04-18-2009, 12:32
Do not use sandpaper on your Glock!

Hey newbie, what the heck? Advising people to use sandpaper on their Glocks?

Do you understand what tennifer is?

Now what does that actually mean? If you didn't use sandpaper the slide would never get polished. If you want a polished slide how would an old veteran forum guy do it?
zini1, my friends 23 slide ended up looking like a mirror. What is it that you didn't like about your slide when you polished it. If you still hand sanding marks on it then you probably didn't finish with a fine enough paper. Not that I would want a polished slide on my Glock, my friends turned out very good and he likes it.

HAMMERHEAD
04-18-2009, 16:10
Tennifer is a vapor applied treatment that hardens and rustproofs the surface. The black layer is not tennifer, just a black coating for looks.

The tennifer layer is very thin, and 220 grit sandpaper will go right through it, so will 320, 400 and so on. Once you've sanded through the tennifer layer, you're into raw steel. Sure you can polish it, but the tennifer is gone, and it will rust if you don't care for it like any other steel. Also the surface will be softer and more prone to scratching and denting.

Not to mention that you've degraded your accuracy potential because your barrel doesn't lock up like it used to.

But hey, sand away, it's your pistol!

faawrenchbndr
04-18-2009, 16:24
Tennifer is a vapor applied treatment.....

Wrong,.......

Tenifer is a trademarked name for the end result of a chemical bath nitriding process
that embeds nitrogen into an iron-containing alloy to create a corrosion-resistant finish
that is a dull grey in color and extremely hard. The generic term for this type of process is carbonitriding.
Other trade names for carbonitriding include Melonite, Sursulf, Arcor, Tufftride, and Koline.

Glock, an Austrian firearms manufacturer, utilizes this process to protect the slides of the pistols they manufacture.
The Tenifer finish on a Glock is the third and final hardening process. It is 0.05 millimeters thick and produces a 64 Rockwell C
(diamond cone) hardness rating via a 500 C nitride bath. The final matte, non-glare finish meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications,
is 85% more corrosion resistant than a hard chrome finish, and is 99.9% salt-water corrosion resistant.
After the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized finish is applied and the slide is protected even if the finish were to wear off.
Several other pistols also use this process including the Walther P99 and Steyr M/S series

HAMMERHEAD
04-18-2009, 16:38
If you want a polished slide how would an old veteran forum guy do it?

He would be smart enough to leave it alone.

Wrong,.......

Ok, so it's bath applied, but read your own quote:

The Tenifer finish on a Glock is the third and final hardening process. It is 0.05 millimeters thick and produces a 64 Rockwell C

Lets see, .05 millimeters is .002 inches thick, I imagine the tennifer was gone in the first few strokes of the 220 grit sandpaper.

The tennifer is one one thing that elevated Glocks above all others in the ruggedness/corrosion resistance department.

faawrenchbndr
04-18-2009, 17:00
Dude,.... I am not arguing the rest of your statement.
What spun me up was the way you choose to bust on a "newbie"
You could have handled it much better. New members are a good thing,
a refreshing change of ideas.

But to bust his nards,...... that was not right!
He has experience with metals and polishing, did you catch that?!

In this thread, sanding has been brought up many times.
The posibility of increasing the corrosion has also.
If a member wants to polish his barrel,..... fine!
It's not up to you to save the world from the dreaded "barrel polishers"

In short,........ YOUR way of doing things may seem the best for YOU.
However it may seem like a BAD way to OTHERS.

Bowtie
04-18-2009, 17:06
He would be smart enough to leave it alone.

Ok, so it's bath applied, but read your own quote:

Lets see, .05 millimeters is .002 inches thick, I imagine the tennifer was gone in the first few strokes of the 220 grit sandpaper.

The tennifer is one one thing that elevated Glocks above all others in the ruggedness/corrosion resistance department.

A couple strokes of 220 is going to remove the tennifer? :rofl: Give me a ****in break..

AustinTx
04-18-2009, 17:33
Since I'm a lazy sort, I'm glad that I liked my Glocks, as they left the factory.

GT40
04-18-2009, 18:13
Does this make it more prone to rusting?

No. The tenifer treatment is still there. It goes into the metal about 3 microns deep.

Jahfakin
04-19-2009, 05:12
I wanna see pics of the slides with the black coating removed!!

zini1
04-19-2009, 07:31
What I didn't like about my slide when I wet sanded it was that it didn't look perfect. I am a perfectionist and want my guns to be near perfect if I customize them. I did use super fine sandpaper, I started at 400, then 600, 800, 1200, 1500, and finally 2000 grit. I soaked the 1200, 1500, and 2000 in water for a week to soften them up before sanding. The other problem with sanding a slide is getting in between the finger groves towards the back for racking the slide, it does not look very good if you don't get in between them and there isn't a very preceise way to smooth out the pores in between those grooves. It still didn't look how I wanted it to after roughly 20-25 hours into it, so I bought a LWD slide that looks better IMO. Have someone that knows what they are doing polish it or have it nickel plated, chromed, or cerakoted if you want a different look.

In terms of taking the tennifer off, if it is only .002 mm thick that is going to be coming off when you sand the slide down so that it is smooth. Some of the bead blasting pores on the slide are deeper than .002 mm.

mapwd1702
04-19-2009, 10:19
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021767&goto=newpost

Here is a link to some nice polished slides by other Glocktalk members.

Deputydave
04-20-2009, 11:19
Thank you for that link, very interesting thread. I just did the white lettering on one of my 19's and like how it turned out. I was curious about doing the slide, but not sure if I'm ready to put that much into it. Also, having never done it before, not confident in how it would turn out. Might just enjoy the white lettering for now.

tcglenn63
04-20-2009, 11:50
I polished both sides of my G19 slide that is 15 years old and had severe wear on the sides from holster use. the parkerization was worn of on 30-40% of the sides. I took the rest of the parkerization of with a green scrubby pad and polished with mothers mag polish. I removed no metal from the slide with this process and am happy with the results.
Some hammerheads on this thread need to understand what someone does to his Glock is his business and noone elses. Busting a newbies (I'm one Myself) nads over it is pointless.

Deputydave
04-20-2009, 12:50
I polished both sides of my G19 slide that is 15 years old and had severe wear on the sides from holster use. the parkerization was worn of on 30-40% of the sides. I took the rest of the parkerization of with a green scrubby pad and polished with mothers mag polish. I removed no metal from the slide with this process and am happy with the results.
Some hammerheads on this thread need to understand what someone does to his Glock is his business and noone elses. Busting a newbies (I'm one Myself) nads over it is pointless.

So you didn't need to sand at all? The green scrubby pad, that's the type you'd buy at the supermarket for scrubbing pots and such I assume? How long did it take you with the green pad? How did the finish come out using Mothers mag polish? I used that on the barrel and liked the results, took maybe an hour and a few paper towels.

tcglenn63
04-20-2009, 14:19
So you didn't need to sand at all? The green scrubby pad, that's the type you'd buy at the supermarket for scrubbing pots and such I assume? How long did it take you with the green pad? How did the finish come out using Mothers mag polish? I used that on the barrel and liked the results, took maybe an hour and a few paper towels.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021767&goto=newpost

See my attachments at the above posted thread. 4th page

The slide is not mirrored like the barrel is, but I like the way it turned out, and may work at polishing some more when I get a chance.

Now keep in mind that my second gen G19 had a different finish than the 3rd gen models and had a lot of wear already. so travel at your own risk.
But I sure won't cut ya down if you attempt it.

Deputydave
04-20-2009, 15:21
I appreciate the link. You did a nice job, so did the others in that thread. I did not realize the finish was different from a Gen2 to a Gen3. I'll have to put some thought into this, I like the white lettering as it came out very nice. And I do like the contrast of the polished barrel to the black slide. To me, just looks sharp and provides a little 'individuality'. Thanks for the info.

mapwd1702
04-20-2009, 16:32
I have never done a slide on a Glock but I did do it to a Kimber 1911. Turned out very well. Just get some fine grit wet/dry sand paper and a piece of glass (glass is the most flat surface you will find around the house). Put the sand paper on the glass, put some gun oil on the paper and lay the slide in the oil and slide the slide back and forth in the same direction until you get a uniform sanded slide. flip over and repeat. The Tennifer treatment on the glocks metal parts permeates 3 microns into the metal so if you don't go crazy you should be fine.

aclark
04-23-2009, 13:46
Well I tried to do mine by hand, but the blue scotch brite pads didnt give enough abrision. I tried the green one, and it worked, but was very slow. I have the barrel soaking in viniger now, so hopfully ill get to polishing in a couple hours. I'll post finished pics tonight/tomorrow.

aclark
04-23-2009, 15:00

After you soak it, and scrub the outside, did you do anything to the inside of the barrel? Do I need to scrub it out with the bore brush or anything? Should I just wait till I'm done and clean it as usual?

thanks in advance.

faawrenchbndr
04-23-2009, 16:05
After is soaked the one I did for the G19, I ran a brush, under water thru it a few times. I then dried the barrel, rans some patches thru to dry the barrel.
I then oiled a brush and gave it a few passes. Swabbed dry.

Following polishing, clean the barrel as you would following shooting. :supergrin:

aclark
04-23-2009, 16:35
Well I just finished it up, and it looks GREAT! Here's a few shots.

http://www.blindair.com/gfx/polished/P4230101.JPG
http://www.blindair.com/gfx/polished/P4230102.JPG
http://www.blindair.com/gfx/polished/P4230105.JPG
http://www.blindair.com/gfx/polished/P4230107.JPG
http://www.blindair.com/gfx/polished/P4230109.JPG

Johnny English
04-23-2009, 16:42
The barrel look's great. I am still trying to figure out how to post pic's on the forum. If anyone can help me I will post my pics. Are you using anything to protect the barrel? I am using synthetic oil. Still has that shine with some protection.

aclark
04-23-2009, 16:43
The protection they put on it should still be in tact, but I do have some oil that I use whenever I clean my gun after the range.

Johnny English
04-23-2009, 16:49
I just wanted to keep from haveing any friction.

Johnny English
04-23-2009, 16:53
It worked this time:supergrin: I'll put in another.

South Fla
04-23-2009, 17:03
No need for sanding or soaking..Mothers Mag polish and a felt wheel on a Dremil..Took all of 20min. for a mirror shine..

+1 on this method. I did mine during half time of the Super Bowl.

All that soaking and sandpapering is unnecessary.

Ticman
04-23-2009, 18:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12543560#post12543560)
No need for sanding or soaking..Mothers Mag polish and a felt wheel on a Dremil..Took all of 20min. for a mirror shine..

+1 on this method. I did mine during half time of the Super Bowl.

All that soaking and sandpapering is unnecessary.

X2 and if you have to use sand paper start off with 2000 grit. I always polish the feed ramps and it takes a few seconds with 2000 grit to make it look like a mirror. Rule of thumb any time you use sand paper try the highest grit first. Get more agressive only when necessary.Then I use Meguiars NXT metal polish. It works great.

superglocker
04-23-2009, 18:52

Ditto! But my son and I did the job with cotton cloths, no dremel. Took a long time, but WOW it looks great!

I'll try to post pics. I did the whole barrel, he only polished the square part where the shells are ejected (don't know the technical term).

glockfanbob
04-23-2009, 19:02
Ok a few hours ago I was reading this thread and caught the barrel polishing bug. Washed barrel with some dish soap to get off an oil, etc, then soaked in white vinegar for 2 hours then used Mothers mag & aluminum polish. Love it.

glocker1
04-23-2009, 21:41
I soaked my barrel in vinegar, used the green pad, but instead of polishing the metal, I just left it as is. It's a wonderful "industrial" looking gun metal gray that goes great with the Glock's flat black finish. Very military looking, like an M2 Browning .50 cal. or the old M3 "grease guns" - Not flashy and shiny like some womens jewelry but pretty bad ass like a man's weapon!

SalfromCal
04-23-2009, 22:27
Hey guys!...how do I get rid of those shadows or light buff marks left by the Dremel felt wheel? Am I doing something wrong?:dunno:

faawrenchbndr
04-24-2009, 04:33
Hey guys!...how do I get rid of those shadows or light buff marks left by the Dremel felt wheel? Am I doing something wrong?:dunno:

Add some new polish, buff untill it turns black. Wipe clean while the polish is still in the "wet" looking state.

Jahfakin
04-24-2009, 04:41
Well I just finished it up, and it looks GREAT! Here's a few shots.

http://www.blindair.com/gfx/polished/P4230109.JPG

just need a SS guide rod to match the barrel. That's nest on my list.

GlockPreacher
04-24-2009, 04:55
Amazing... Good stuff to remember thanx. My only question: Do you use any kind of oil after polishing?

Jahfakin
04-25-2009, 00:28
Amazing... Good stuff to remember thanx. My only question: Do you use any kind of oil after polishing?

I did this a couple of months ago

some light oil afterwards, once installed in back into the slide, like your suppose to do.

I soaked the barrel for 2 hours in vinegar. Rinse it off and then began polishing by hand using Mothers mag and aluminum polish (http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05100-05101.html). Used about a dozen sheets of cheap dollar store paper towels, and I was done within an hour.

this will bring the barrel to it's "natural metal finish". It's not all shiny like stainless steel. The Tenifer hardening process leaves a matte, non-glare finish, and that's exactly how my barrel looks, and how I like it.

http://garylambert.us/images/g23_barrel.JPG

http://garylambert.us/images/G23_1.jpg

faawrenchbndr
04-25-2009, 05:09
http://garylambert.us/images/G23_1.jpg

That's a SWEET picture! :wow:

Jahfakin
04-25-2009, 05:42
That's a SWEET picture! :wow:

thanks....check out pics of my 5 shot ...http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12149365&postcount=128

faawrenchbndr
04-25-2009, 05:43
Yes,...... I saw that.:wow:

voltaire21
05-02-2009, 21:12
Finally got the nerve to do this little project after some inspiration from the others here in the forum. I had a lot of apprehensions in doing this but was happy with the result and the contrast between the flat black n polished barrel came out looking great. It gave my tired old Glock21C a new lease in life hehe!!!

I first removed all the oil on the barrel using dish washing soap and wiped it dry then put some alcohol to completely degrease it. Then I just soaked the barrel in vinegar for an hour then used green scotchbrite and dish washing soap to scrub the black finish off then polished it with GLO metal polish I have lying around in the house. Using an old cotton shirt and a lot of elbow grease after an hour and a half it came out like this :)

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/voltaire21/bar3.jpg

Not mirror finish more of a stainless steel finish which I like and its silky smooth almost dropped it while I was wiping it because it was slippery :) I felt that the action was smoother when I racked the gun maybe its just me or this polishing thing has some benefits aside from just aesthetics.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/voltaire21/bar2.jpg

SalfromCal
05-05-2009, 12:21
Full barrel jeweling can also be done but is a wa$te of $$. I don't see the purpose since the barrel is covered by the slide. I will post pictures of my jeweled G26 soon.

Swerved
05-05-2009, 12:25
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/318/974c1.jpgMy G26 barrel..... with a "offset down" pattern @10 lines per inch which means 100 swirls or cuts per square inch. This makes the barrel very pretty to look at. :supergrin: Full barrel jeweling also can be done but I don't see the purpose since barrel is covered by the slide.

Interesting.. Can you give us a pic with it in the gun?

SalfromCal
05-05-2009, 12:36
The guy still working on my Ruger MKII barrel.

SalfromCal
05-06-2009, 21:26
Pictures of my G26 with polished and jeweled barrel.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6784/glock12.jpg

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2941/glock21.jpg

SalfromCal
05-06-2009, 21:44
Interesting.. Can you give us a pic with it in the gun?

Pictures posted..:wavey:

Swerved
05-06-2009, 21:48

I gotta say, I like..:drool:

Plays hell on that serial number, but it's a cool look.

tm250
05-06-2009, 22:44

I like it....did you do it yourself? if not, where did you get it done??

SalfromCal
05-06-2009, 23:24
I gotta say, I like..:drool:

Plays hell on that serial number, but it's a cool look.

Hard to see in pictures but the serial number still there in original, perfect and legible condition. The jeweling won't do any damage or take any metal off the barrel at all. Numbers and markings will be fine. The amount of metal that is moved would have to be measured in light bands, in other words you could put micrometer on the part prior to and after the process and it will measure the same.

SalfromCal
05-06-2009, 23:30
I like it....did you do it yourself? if not, where did you get it done??

Done by a local gunsmith machine shop for $20.00

psdan000
05-07-2009, 12:05
well i got the bug, just got done soaking G19 barrel in vinegar for 2 hours, getting ready to go polish it up. ill post some pics when im done

Swerved
05-07-2009, 12:12
Hard to see in pictures but the serial number still there in original, perfect and legible condition. The jeweling won't do any damage or take any metal off the barrel at all. Numbers and markings will be fine. The amount of metal that is moved would have to be measured in light bands, in other words you could put micrometer on the part prior to and after the process and it will measure the same.

Absolutely, I didn't mean to imply it took metal off, just that it was difficult to read (in the picture). Coincidentally, surface finishing is the field of work I'm in, so I do understand what a light bad is (roughly .3 m)..

Regardless, it's a good looking gun... well done!

psdan000
05-07-2009, 13:10
cool, i like it!
http://inlinethumb62.webshots.com/45245/2334982460057938534S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/43155/2968040910057938534S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb30.webshots.com/44573/2878511370057938534S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/41607/2737628140057938534S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb05.webshots.com/44996/2329541240057938534S600x600Q85.jpg
my camera sucks, but you get the idea. definitely need stainless guide rod now.

SalfromCal
05-07-2009, 17:56
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9406/mvc131f.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7673/mvc133f.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2130/mvc124f.jpg
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3929/mvc147f.jpg

Bowtie
05-07-2009, 17:59
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7925/mvc125f.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2130/mvc124f.jpg

Just finished polishing the guide rod and installing new sights.

Never thought about the guide rod..That looks good.

Jahfakin
05-07-2009, 23:15
Just finished polishing the guide rod and installing new sights.

the guide rod is next for me too.....what type is yours? Lone wolf?

SalfromCal
05-08-2009, 00:16
the guide rod is next for me too.....what type is yours? Lone wolf?

FIRE DRAGON Dual Action Buffer Spring System.

TheAlmightySam
05-08-2009, 18:13
Just got done polishing the barrel on my 26. I did mine a bit differently, though, because I left the barrel hood black. Also finally got around to polishing the feed ramp. I'm quite happy with how it came out.

http://www.subarugirlies.com/sam/polished.jpg
http://www.subarugirlies.com/sam/polished2.jpg

Bowtie
05-08-2009, 19:28
Looks good..I never pollish a feed ramp unless I'm having feeding issues.

dango
05-09-2009, 11:11
You guys got me.! After reading this thread,I polished the barrel on my G17,BEAUTIFUL ! It came out like chrome and it was pretty easy.

TheAlmightySam
05-09-2009, 11:13
You guys got me.! After reading this thread,I polished the barrel on my G17,BEAUTIFUL ! It came out like chrome and it was pretty easy.

Well, where's the pictures!?

dango
05-09-2009, 11:53
Well, where's the pictures!?
I'm haveing a major problem with "Photo bucket". I do not get the options I need to post a pic. No cut,No paste just copy ? HELP !!

Bowtie
05-09-2009, 12:36
No problems with photobucket here, just click and copy the image code then past in in your post..Just finished this up last night for a great guy " xep5k " here on GT.

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq205/cisco1965/Slideandbarrel027.jpg
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq205/cisco1965/Slideandbarrel026.jpg
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq205/cisco1965/Slideandbarrel025.jpg
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq205/cisco1965/Slideandbarrel024.jpg
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq205/cisco1965/Slideandbarrel023.jpg

TheAlmightySam
05-09-2009, 12:43
awesomeness

That is gorgeous. I love how you only polished the flats of the slide. Reminds me somehow of an old hotrod.

SalfromCal
05-09-2009, 12:43
Very nice! ..now I'm thinking of doing the same to my G26 slide...Humm

Bowtie
05-09-2009, 12:47
That is gorgeous. I love how you only polished the flats of the slide. Reminds me somehow of an old hotrod.

Yeah it kinda reminds me of an old set of finned valve covers..

xep5k
05-09-2009, 12:55
I cant stop looking at the pictures Bowtie... I cant wait until I can shoot it!

alabaster
05-09-2009, 12:56
I'd like to see that slide on a frame. A complete gun, if you will.

I started on my barrel last night but stopped short of finishing because of the noise. I'll be back on it here in a minute. I didn't soak anything, I just used a felt wheel on the dremel with a green polish compound from Harbor Freight. It actually almost looks like a black chrokme ZIPPO right now.

Bowtie
05-09-2009, 12:58
I cant stop looking at the pictures Bowtie... I cant wait until I can shoot it!

You can shoot it tomorrow..:supergrin:

xep5k
05-09-2009, 13:09
haha yes, cant wait! :yourock:

Bowtie
05-09-2009, 18:44
Thanks man..Looks like the one in your Avitar.

Jim S.
05-09-2009, 19:32
Hey Bowtie, you did a good job on that. I know you worked hard on it.
I like your bike too.

Bowtie
05-09-2009, 19:38
Hey Bowtie, you did a good job on that. I know you worked hard on it.
I like your bike too.

Thanks Jim..

alabaster
05-09-2009, 20:58
Why is it I soaked my barrel in vinegar, after polishing it mind you, and it RE-BLACKENED!?!?!?!?!?! It had looked like black chrome, then I read to soak it, so I did. Next thing you know it looks like I never touched it at all. WTF!?

Bowtie, as thoroughly gangster as your polishwork is, I'm sure you know what's happening here. I saw your other thread, and can't help but ask a fellow biker/glocker for some solid advice.

Bowtie
05-09-2009, 21:00
Why is it I soaked my barrel in vinegar, after polishing it mind you, and it RE-BLACKENED!?!?!?!?!?! It had looked like black chrome, then I read to soak it, so I did. Next thing you know it looks like I never touched it at all. WTF!?

Bowtie, as thoroughly gangster as your polishwork is, I'm sure you know what's happening here. I saw your other thread, and can't help but ask a fellow biker/glocker for some solid advice.

I would think it had something to do with the acid in the vinegar..Why did you soak it after pollishing? I never use vinegar at all. Dont see the need.

alabaster
05-09-2009, 21:16
I used a cider vinegar too. Then I realized I had white, and added some to the mix.

I did that because it was looking like black chrome a la ZIPPO. Not bad, but I was thinking of matching the pins and guide rod too. I figured it's easier to rid it totally of black rather than try to find a way to make them black chrome.

I just noticed you said earlier that all you used was Mother's mag polish and a felt wheel. I suppose I'll give that a whirl!

Bowtie
05-09-2009, 21:19
I used a cider vinegar too. Then I realized I had white, and added some to the mix.

I did that because it was looking like black chrome a la ZIPPO. Not bad, but I was thinking of matching the pins and guide rod too. I figured it's easier to rid it totally of black rather than try to find a way to make them black chrome.

I just noticed you said earlier that all you used was Mother's mag polish and a felt wheel. I suppose I'll give that a whirl!

Yes Sir, Thats all I ever use on a barrel.

alabaster
05-09-2009, 21:21
Let it be written then. I'll have to grab some while I'm out today. That green polish stick doesn't seem to do werk quik enuff! I spent well over an hour on it, and yours looks a million times better

Jahfakin
05-09-2009, 23:58

you are suppose to use ONLY WHITE vinega. not sure what it is about the cider vinegar that causes it to get black.

also, if you polished it and re-soak it (in white vinegar), the acid will react with the mother's polish, and cause it get black. I did this, and polished it again, but left the serial number stamp black.

xep5k
05-10-2009, 20:49
Thanks Bowtie
http://viewsfromearth.com/chrome1.jpg
http://viewsfromearth.com/chrome2.jpg
http://viewsfromearth.com/chrome3.jpg
http://viewsfromearth.com/chrome4.jpg

pfb
05-10-2009, 22:35
Thanks Bowtie

Wow! That look might just be enough to bring me over to the non-dark slide.

How did you avoid polishing the serrations and top of the slide? Did you mask them off or just work very carefully with the dremel tool?

xep5k
05-10-2009, 23:06

How did you avoid polishing the serrations and top of the slide? Did you mask them off or just work very carefully with the dremel tool?

hey, a fellow member "Bowtie" did it for me! PM him! :supergrin:

SalfromCal
05-11-2009, 12:26

Cooool!

Bowtie
05-11-2009, 12:34

Thats all by hand..I didnt hit the slide with a dremel until the final pollish just before it went home..

SalfromCal
05-11-2009, 13:35
Never thought about the guide rod..That looks good.

Since we all are into the polishing mood I was wondering if polishing the face of the extractor will affect the function of the pistol? I don't think so but....just wondering, since nobody talks about polishing the extracto:upeyes:... It'll blend just right with a polished slide!

Bowtie
05-11-2009, 13:39
Since we all are into the polishing mood I was wondering if polishing the face of the extractor will affect the function of the pistol? I don't think so but....just wondering, since nobody talks about polishing the extracto:upeyes:... It'll blend just right with a polished slide!

I had thought about that when I was putting everything back together but I thought it looked good with the contrast of color..If he decides he wants it pollished he can send it my way and i'll pollish it real quick for him..

tcglenn63
05-11-2009, 19:40

Been there, Did That!

SalfromCal
05-11-2009, 20:04
Been there, Did That!

I like it!!!....looks better with a polished extractor. Well, that's my opinion anyway..:whistling:

alabaster
05-12-2009, 07:55
Finished the barrel. Did the slide stop and pin too. Couldn't get teh slide block lever to come out right though, maybe because of the ridges, Can't even tell I tried that piece. I did a 25 cent trigger job while I had teh polish out. It was a good morning to tinker I guess. I really like the idea of putting it to the extractor now too. Maybe I'll do that later. I got my slide plate cover in from Lone Wolf too, installed that, I'm diggin on the contrasted pieces.I'm gonna order a guide rod when I get this trigger spring too. I shoulda never started down this path.

Bowtie
05-12-2009, 08:07
Been there, Did That!

Looks great!

nxttruck2002
05-21-2009, 19:28
Guys this doesn't have any negative affect on the bore/rifling? If white vinegar takes off the black on the outside does it take it off inside the barrel? I've been curious about this for along time now...

Jahfakin
05-22-2009, 00:48
Guys this doesn't have any negative affect on the bore/rifling? If white vinegar takes off the black on the outside does it take it off inside the barrel? I've been curious about this for along time now...

The inside of the barrel is blued?

Clusterbomb
05-22-2009, 01:53
I hope GT members who polished their barrels/slides would report back say, 6 months or 12 months from now if they observe any tendency for rust to form.

Bonhamjy
05-22-2009, 02:02
Great, now I just caught the polishing bug! I'm thinking of doing what TheAlmightySam did, polish the barrel and leave the hood black. I think with the SS guiderod and the natural steel ring on the TLR-1 would make a nice accent with the tip of the polished barrel. Then probably to the pins. Good idea?

Bowtie
05-22-2009, 07:18
Great Idea!

Swerved
05-22-2009, 08:12
I hope GT members who polished their barrels/slides would report back say, 6 months or 12 months from now if they observe any tendency for rust to form.

I would do that if I were to notice that happening. However, if the polishing was done correctly (i.e. no harsh abrasives like sandpaper, IMHO) the Tenifer finish will not have been removed. The coating actually penetrates the steel below to a depth of up to 3-10+ m (depends on who you ask).

There are those that say a fine sandpaper (400 grit or higher) will not damage the coating, but I would never suggest using somethnig that abrasive. As stated above, the tenifer coating is about 3-10m thick. For reference, a sheet of printer paper is about .1mm thick or 100m. So we're talking a coating between 3% and 10% of the thickness of a piece of paper. It doesn't take much to damage that with sandpaper or other abrasives.

I can tell you this.. I work in the field of surface finishing and applying coatings on ferrous substrates. The coatings we apply are between 5-20 m thick and are nowhere near as tough as the tenifer coating (typically Zinc or Nickel). Polishing the Glock slides/barrels with a little mothers polishing compound will not remove enough metal to damage the coating, so long as the person doing the polishing is careful and understands what they're doing.

mapwd1702
05-22-2009, 10:10
I have done this to all my Glocks, past 3 years now and have not seen any rust or adverse effects whatsoever.

Paul_J
05-22-2009, 10:14
5 months, lots of use and abuse, no rust. Not even an indication of rust. The tenifer process is not removed during polishing. Nothing to worry about.......

nwmthunter
05-22-2009, 11:21
I see no reason to polish a glock barrel,why do you guys do this?

Ryobi
05-22-2009, 11:33
No, proper polishing will not have any effect on corrosion resistance. A soft cloth or buffing wheel and some Flitz are all that's needed to turn dull black to black chrome.

alabaster
05-22-2009, 11:55

I think it's just personal preference. Purely cosmetic I think. That's why I did it, anyways. Barrel, slide release, pin, and slide lock. Then I got the slide cover plate engraved by LWD, and I'm thinking of polishing the exrtactor too. All for cosmetics.

TheAlmightySam
05-22-2009, 11:59

Purely cosmetic. It adds absolutely no functionality whatsoever, but it looks nice, and it's essentially free.

Everyone who has seen my Glock since I polished the barrel has commented on how nice the barrel looks. Even my girlfriend, who isn't half as interested in guns as I am, noticed it. Now she wants the barrel on her P22 polished :)

Also, there is absolutely no reason to use anything abrasive on the barrel. Mine was done entirely with a felt wheel on my Dremel with polishing compound. No vinegar, no sandpaper. The black comes off surprisingly easily, and the metal underneath is already quite smooth.

Lunchbox45
05-22-2009, 14:18
This may seem like a dumb question but whats the purpose/advantage of polishing the barrel

Doh nevrmind I guess if I had read all 7 pages I would not have ven asked

thewremch1082
06-05-2009, 18:17
Thanks Bowtie
http://viewsfromearth.com/chrome1.jpg
http://viewsfromearth.com/chrome3.jpg
http://viewsfromearth.com/chrome4.jpg :wow: this looks soo bad ass... I want to do it to my G23

pens-66
06-11-2009, 11:20
Just got done polishing the barrel on my 26. I did mine a bit differently, though, because I left the barrel hood black. Also finally got around to polishing the feed ramp. I'm quite happy with how it came out.

http://www.subarugirlies.com/sam/polished.jpg

Thats exactly what I was looking for...thats what I'm gonna do to my new G19. I like how you left the barrel hood black....Nice job!

Mr Big
06-11-2009, 14:45
all that work when you can spend 1 min online and order yourself a nice aftermarket polished match grade barrel for like 100 bucks

Bowtie
06-11-2009, 14:53
all that work when you can spend 1 min online and order yourself a nice aftermarket polished match grade barrel for like 100 bucks

If you already have the pollish and a dremel then thats $100 more than what you need to spend. Who the hell needs a match grade barrel in a defense weapon?

Opus109
06-11-2009, 15:01

I can see why you call yourself "Mr. Big". :tongueout:

I'd rather spend the $100 on ammo.

pens-66
06-11-2009, 19:59
If you already have the pollish and a dremel then thats $100 more than what you need to spend. Who the hell needs a match grade barrel in a defense weapon?

Amen brother! :wavey: I just did mine on my new G19. I just did the barrel and not the block.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff263/pens-66/DSC02169.jpg

Jahfakin
06-11-2009, 22:25
if you already have the pollish and a dremel then thats $100 more than what you need to spend. Who the hell needs a match grade barrel in a defense weapon?

+1...

SalfromCal
06-12-2009, 12:07

I agree that spending $100 bucks or more for a "polished match grade barrel ??" will make things easier but to me nothing builds self-esteem and self-confidence like the accomplishment of something done by your self.
An individual with desire to do something most often accomplish far more in life than others who just sits and wait :popcorn:...for things to be done for them.

Well, that's how I see it anyway...:cool:

Bowtie
06-12-2009, 12:47
I agree that spending $100 bucks or more for a "polished match grade barrel ??" will make things easier but to me nothing builds self-esteem and self-confidence like the accomplishment of something done by your self.
An individual with desire to do something most often accomplish far more in life than others who sits and wait for things to be done for them:popcorn:

Well, that's my opinion anyway...:cool:

Very well put..

zerotonothing
06-12-2009, 13:39

Has anyone ever used this method on a slide??

carabidus
06-12-2009, 13:44

Ha ha! Not going there!

Bonhamjy
11-02-2009, 17:02

Well it's been almost 6 months and after going to the range once about every other weekend, shooting about 50 rounds a trip and going through the actions of my post-visit cleaning ritual, I am happy to say there is no rust or any blemish on the polished portion of the barrel what-so-ever.:thumbsup:

faawrenchbndr
11-02-2009, 17:21
Has anyone ever used this method on a slide??

I wouldn't,......but I do not care for polished slides.

muad
01-04-2010, 17:29
No problems with photobucket here, just click and copy the image code then past in in your post..Just finished this up last night for a great guy " xep5k " here on GT.

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq205/cisco1965/Slideandbarrel026.jpg

That slide and barrel look amazing. I'm really thinking about doing at least my barrel.

SalfromCal, here did you get that Glock blade???
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3929/mvc147f.jpg (http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3929/mvc147f.jpg)

CPG19
01-05-2010, 01:05
Awsome Thread ! This is the far cheapest mad you can do and turn around with custom look to G's !

thanks !

mds2004
01-05-2010, 01:51
I partially polished mine. I left it in the vinegar for a little while and then wiped it off with a paper towel. I was going to use the Dremel and my jeweler's rouge but wanted to keep it a matte finish. This is how it turned out.
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac204/mds2004/Glock%2030/IMG_1682.jpg
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac204/mds2004/Glock%2030/IMG_1685.jpg
On the end of the Wolff guide rod I used a metal brush on Dremel
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac204/mds2004/Glock%2030/WolffGuideRodassembly.jpg

faawrenchbndr
01-05-2010, 06:16
G30 with just the very end of the barrel polished.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/Guns%20and%20stuff/G30withpolishedmuzzle.jpg

g29cc
01-05-2010, 08:00
I see lots of mention of using acid to strip your barrel. Be very careful with using acid. Vinegar is a very acid base substance.

Polishing is an art and if you use a dremel, chances are you wont mess things up badly. Glocks have HUGE tolerances to them. Nothing match grade about it. But you can produce waves , low and high spots.

Here are a few pictures of Glocks I have done for GT members here.

http://customizedcreationz.com/images/600_Polished_Glock_7-09.jpg

http://customizedcreationz.com/images/600_Polished_Glock_side.jpg

http://customizedcreationz.com/images/610_polished_glock_slide_smaller_size.jpg

http://customizedcreationz.com/images/600_Glock_27_Slide_polish_5-08_1.jpg

http://customizedcreationz.com/images/411_Glock_27_Slide_polish_5-08_3.jpg

Its important to follow directions, use correct compounds and SFPM ratings. With a dremel , you'll never achieve results in a timely or correct manner , but they will be good enough for most people. To do it correctly you have to have proper tools and the knowledge of how to do it properly. You can warp barrels and slides. I ve seen customer jobs come in that have tried to polish slides with a bench grinder and some wheels and they got it hot enough to warp the rails. So its possible. But like I said, using a dremel, unless you hold it in one spot too long with too aggressive of a compound, you wont damage anything. You might make it look like crap, but you would have to purposefully go out of your way to really scrap a barrel ou that way.

Flexmoney
01-15-2010, 14:44
Vinegar is a very acid base substance.

Huh?

I'm not disagreeing with you, just wondering what an acid base is?

Your work looks great, btw.

randyg27
01-25-2010, 09:49
I have just placed some Mothers on my finger and polished the feed ramp.
You can also use a piece of cloth, t-shirt works best, no Dremel here please.

hey i trying to do this to my barrel today, can you help me plz...i want to know what i need to do it , already know the process. thank you randy

randyg27
01-25-2010, 14:59

hey i need some help, i polish my g27 barrel right now , can you tell me how much baking soda i have to used? thank you randy

glockpeter
02-14-2010, 01:27
good thread :wavey: