Ultra Wide Zoom [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Wide Zoom

airmotive
03-19-2009, 11:44
Not that I think it's going to happen....
But you guys have 3 hours to talk me out of picking up the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 that is on hold for me at the local camera shop. I have a trip to Bogota next week and the more I learned about the city, the more I realized I needed an UWZ to capture it.

Okay, so I'm really just trying to justify $624 on a piece of metal and glass (although that is a good price...DOH, I'm doing it again!)

Help Miss Kitty! Save me!!
:drowning:

airmotive
03-19-2009, 15:10
Too late.
Ended up hitting B&H for a hundred bucks less with next day shipping. (sorry local photog shop). I promise to buy my POL filter from you, I swear.
Can't wait.
I haven't been this excited about a lens since...well, my last lens purchase (70-200 f2.8L)

Kingdaddy
03-19-2009, 15:35
You can't do better than B&H. I've had 3 Nikon mount Sigma 10-20 (s) before I realized I was always shooting at the 20mm wanting a little more. I usually use 2 cameras, 1 with 17-55 AFS or 28-70 AFS, the other a 70-200 AFS VR. Some folk live and breath wide, I always say if the photo ain't good enough it's because you're not close enough.

MrsKitty
03-19-2009, 17:23
Save you?!?! Ha! I am lusting for a new fishie zoom! :rofl: :supergrin:

Glkster19
03-19-2009, 17:37
You bought WHAT?!?! OMG what have you done?? As soon as you get your hands on this you need to ship it to me immediately so I can destroy it for you. It will ruin your camera don't even put it on. PM me so I can send you my address.

Seriously Dude I'm just trying to help.

:tongueout::rofl::tongueout::rofl::tongueout:

airmotive
03-20-2009, 05:28
It's good to know you have my back.
Why are you holding that knife, anyway?

airmotive
03-20-2009, 05:36
You can't do better than B&H. I've had 3 Nikon mount Sigma 10-20 (s) before I realized I was always shooting at the 20mm wanting a little more. I usually use 2 cameras, 1 with 17-55 AFS or 28-70 AFS, the other a 70-200 AFS VR. Some folk live and breath wide, I always say if the photo ain't good enough it's because you're not close enough.

I agree on B&H. But I really, really want to support my local photo shop. (Roberts of Indy). The tipping factor was I discovered I've had $150 sitting in my paypal account for the last 8 months from a forgotten eBay sale. So, with next day delivery, the total came in under $600. Plus I can use my "free" money on paypal, leaving my total out of pocket at $450. My local shop was $624...$675 after tax (and a 45 minute drive each way).

Wow, that's a lot of justification. Talk about feeling guilty.
I will use them when I go filter shopping though. I promise.

airmotive
03-20-2009, 09:36
Dear Lord! This is THE coolest lens.
It's just arrived. I have bubble wrap all over the living room. Once again, my dog will hate me. (she's my semi-willing photo model).
Unfortunately, my card reader is at work; so it looks like I'll have to go back.
I've already taken a dozen or so shots of whatever happens to be in front of me. I can see how this will be a difficult lens to learn how to use properly, but the capabilities are unlike anything I've ever used.
Pics to follow once I retreive my card reader.....

Glkster19
03-20-2009, 11:11
Why are you holding that knife, anyway?

Strictly a bread buttering knife only. :supergrin::supergrin:

Enjoy your new lens, that is certainly a model on many people's want list.

airmotive
03-20-2009, 11:58
First Shot...
No I did not kill my dog.
That's her natural state.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/airmotive/Poocha.jpg

El Capitan
03-24-2009, 00:58
Ultra wides are awesome. Just watch out for the converging verticals when shooting buildings; that wide can really warp a scene.

BTW, I had my Tokina 12-24, then dropped a chunk of change on the 14-24 last summer. Love it, but over twice what you paid. That 14-24 on a full frame camera though, wow, very very wide (without being a fisheye).