Scotch lovers forum please!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scotch lovers forum please!!

newmenu
03-20-2009, 13:53
title says it all. supporters sound off! Lets let this thread be a source for which to find new favorite spirits and let it be a tool for sharing our favorites and least favorites.

Please dont hate on anyone else's favorite scotch or spirit, we are all entitled to our own opinion, some people just happen to be sheltered and us connoisseurs should politely bring these poor souls to the light.

Green_Manelishi
03-20-2009, 16:24
Single malt, or blends?
My signature says it all.

newmenu
03-20-2009, 19:23
Islay scotches ftw. Laphroaig

mitchshrader
03-20-2009, 19:35
sherry casked.. Mac 18, Aberlour 16, Glen Rothes 91, Balvenie Sherry Casked 17 yr old...

punkture
03-26-2009, 09:24
more of a bourbon fan personally, but when it comes to scotch, the only thing i have found that i like is the glenlivet, although i plan to brew scottish 60 or 80 shilling soon. not exactly the same thing, but definitely a hint of similar taste.

newmenu
03-26-2009, 22:45
islay scotches are an aquired taste. once aquired, no other scotch, burbon or whiskey will ever do.

Green_Manelishi
03-28-2009, 12:33
islay scotches are an aquired taste. once aquired, no other scotch, burbon or whiskey will ever do.

That's why I had to buy another bottle of Ardbeg (while wearing a Laphroaig hat).

ateamer
04-12-2009, 23:39
Behind my bar are Glenlivet 12 year, Jon, Mark and Robbo's The Smooth Sweeter One, Kirkland Signature/MacAllan 18 year sherry cask finish (a bargain at $79.99 - get it before Costco stops carrying it) and Isle of Jura Superstition. Eventually, everything else on that shelf will be moved to make room for another dozen or so scotches.

JimBianchi
04-12-2009, 23:40
I like rot-gut bourbon.

Jim Beam for me.

(I just finished a glass, neat)

Green_Manelishi
04-13-2009, 03:18
Behind my bar are Glenlivet 12 year, Jon, Mark and Robbo's The Smooth Sweeter One, Kirkland Signature/MacAllan 18 year sherry cask finish (a bargain at $79.99 - get it before Costco stops carrying it) and Isle of Jura Superstition. Eventually, everything else on that shelf will be moved to make room for another dozen or so scotches.

I never developed a taste for Glenlivet. Not that it's bad, it's just not my thing. In a cabinet a few feet from me are Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Auchentoshan, Ardmore, Isle of Jura, Arran, Talisker, Glenfiddich (a gift from brother in law).

Here's a list (some ages listed) of whisky my wife and I have tried, purchased, stock. If there is no age listed that's because we tried it at a restaurant, friend's house, etc. There are others we'd like to try but are limited to what the local stores/restaurants stocks. My wife's favorite is Laphroaig, mine is Ardbeg. We drink it "neat" but it took me 10 years to train my wife.

Islay and Islands

Highland Park (12)
Scapa (12)
Talisker (10)
Tobermory (10)
Ardbeg (10)
Arran (10)
Bowmore (Legend)
Bruichladdich (15)
Bruichladdich (10 or 12)
Bunnahabhain (12)
Bunnahabhain (18)
Caol Ila (12)
Caol Ila (18)
Isle of Jura (10)
Lagavulin (16)
Laphroaig (cask)
Laphroaig (quarter cask)
Laphroaig (10)
McClellands (young Bowmore)

Highlands, Lowland, Speyside

Aberfeldy
Balvenie
Dalmore
Gledfiddich (12)
Glengarioch (8)
Glenmorangie
Oban (14)
Old Pulteny (10 or 12)
Speyburn (10)
Speyside (12)
Auchentoshan (Select)
BenRomach
Cragganmore
Glenlivet (12)
Glenlivet (18)
Glenrothes
The Macallan (12)

newmenu
04-17-2009, 14:22
I tried the Lagavulin(16y) last week and just loved it. It has to be in my top 3 scotches now.

my 3 fav are

Lagavulin (16)
Bunnahabhain (18)
Laphroaig (10)

with honorable metion going to Black Bottle for being very good and drinkable at under $20

Green_Manelishi
04-19-2009, 15:52
ARDBEG ... :supergrin:

45reloader
05-05-2009, 04:39
I'm a newbie to scotch but I'm working my way up with a bottle of Glenfiddich 375 ml

I would love a Spirits forum.

Varghedne
05-05-2009, 05:17
Scotch forum would be great. My top five right now are:
Arran 100 proof, Ardbeg 10, Ardbeg Still Young, Clynelish 14 and Laphroaig Quarter Cask.
Only drink'em straight, no water. Don't drink any other hard liquors than Scotch Single Malt.

45reloader
05-06-2009, 15:13
I'm a newbie to scotch but I'm working my way up with a bottle of Glenfiddich 375 ml

I would love a Spirits forum.

The Glenfiddich I thought was OK til I bought and tasted a bottle of Glenlivet (12 year)
I'm starting to get hooked on the Glenlivet.
Unless I find a better Scotch :cool:

newmenu
05-06-2009, 20:08
The Glenfiddich I thought was OK til I bought and tasted a bottle of Glenlivet (12 year)

try the Bunnahabhain 12yo and youll forget all about Glenlivet

Green_Manelishi
05-06-2009, 20:28

"Better" is personal taste. I do not care for Glenlivet or 'Fiddich. Glenmorangie is preferred.

newmenu
05-07-2009, 01:56
because of this thread I tried a bottle of Lagavulin, and thanks to this thread, I found my new favorite scotch.

45reloader
05-07-2009, 04:13
try the Bunnahabhain 12yo and youll forget all about Glenlivet

I don't see it stocked here in PA.:crying:

newmenu
05-08-2009, 13:05
I don't see it stocked here in PA.:crying:

get it here

http://www.napacabs.com/Bunnahabhain-12-Year-Single-Islay-Malt-Scotch-Whisky-750ml-P3658.aspx

newmenu
05-08-2009, 13:07
****, nvm that link, that place only ships to California :P srry

Texas357
05-08-2009, 16:22
Just a Scotch forum?
We'd have about the same conversation that shows up biweekly in GNG, over and over.

How about a "Whisky and Cigars" forum? Probably enough variety to keep a few threads active, and keep it interesting. Plus, they just go together well.

We might even be more inclusive, and allow inferior liquors too, such as Bourbons, blendeds, etc. :tongueout:

I think if we were really going to make it work, though, it would have to be a "high-class vices" forum (but we'll come up with a classy name for it), and have it be for beers, liquor, and tobacco products of various types. At least then we'd be sure to have enough interest to make it worth having a whole forum.

45reloader
05-09-2009, 04:50
****, nvm that link, that place only ships to California :P srry

Yeah
PA is very tuff to ship too.
Most people will not at all,or if they do the shipping is $25.00 to $32.00 per bottle.I guess they have to pay a high tax to import spirits.

newmenu
05-12-2009, 07:22
what was the last bottle you opened?

I currently have a half full bottle of Black Bottle scotch on the fridge right now.

Green_Manelishi
05-12-2009, 08:23
what was the last bottle you opened?

I currently have a half full bottle of Black Bottle scotch on the fridge right now.

You store your whisky in the fridge? :wow::faint:

Answering your question the last bottles I opened are Laphroaig (10), and Ardbeg (10), because the bottles I had were empty. Waiting to open Laphroaig 15YO, Arran, Talisker, Ardmore.

newmenu
05-12-2009, 08:25
great choices Greenman, but my bottle is "on" the fridge, not in it. I like to pour my whiskey room temp and toss one single ice cube in the drink.

Green_Manelishi
05-12-2009, 08:45
great choices Greenman, but my bottle is "on" the fridge, not in it. I like to pour my whiskey room temp and toss one single ice cube in the drink.

Sorry, I misread the post. I have read, don't remember where, whisky should be stored in cool, dark. On the fridge puts it in warmer air. Try a corner cabinet, down low.

At the risk of sounding harsh, you need to wean yourself off the ice. Ice shocks whisky.

newmenu
05-16-2009, 01:51
Im thinking about sending in my coupon for a free square foot of land on the island of Islay. I plan to go to scotland and ireland this year and would like to travel to my square foot of land and plant a flag.

Varghedne
05-16-2009, 04:03
Im thinking about sending in my coupon for a free square foot of land on the island of Islay. I plan to go to scotland and ireland this year and would like to travel to my square foot of land and plant a flag.

Yeah, I've got one of those. A square foot of bog that Laphroaig rents from me for the price of a dram of scotch everytime I drop buy.