Free Float Tube on 20 inch barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Free Float Tube on 20 inch barrel

Young Once
03-23-2009, 06:23
I have an elisco upper lying around. Was looking at it the other day and thought of installing a free float tube on the same so that I could possibly mount a bipod on it. Am thinking of using the one Tony Pascual sells. Can anyone give me their thoughts about whether this is a good idea or not?

Thanks in advance!

cebuboy
03-23-2009, 06:53
It depends on what that rifle is for. :) If it is for serious social purposes, I would not bet my life on it though...

jojo_G19
03-23-2009, 07:05
It depends on what that rifle is for. :) If it is for serious social purposes, I would not bet my life on it though...

huh?? any problem on a TP made free float??

i was also thinking of buying one myself.

jojo

Young Once
03-23-2009, 07:46
Yes, Sir. I would want to clarify. Actually the set up will be just for the rifle to have a new look, and probably will be used for occasional shooting/plinking. The serious rifle I have I was already able to set up with many questions answered by you, Sir Cebuboy, for which I am truly grateful. I hope you won't mind some new questions. TIA!

cebuboy
03-23-2009, 09:25
ehehe I'm no gun guru, I'm just sharing some experiences regarding the TP rail. I don't know what the new production rail now is, what I have experience with was the old one around 3 years ago. The rail screws on to the provided barrel nut and a jam nut is used to lock it in place, could not get the thing to stay put, it tends to loosen itself after some rounds... I don't know if the new ones have some sort of anti-spin device.

hth :)

paltik45
03-23-2009, 19:12
I will just share my observation regarding TP free float tube. It was made and purchased two years ago and both of them are OUT OF SPECS. Particularly the picatiny rails and the barrel nut. The only accessories that will fit on their FF tubes are the ones that they made. I saw some M4 accessories in divisoria that is made in china (airsoft stuff) and they are within specs but I dont know the materials (aluminum) that they use. Have a good day Kabayan.

Young Once
03-23-2009, 21:04
Sir Cebubiy and Paltik, thanks so much for the inputs. Buti na lang, asked around first before spending some dough on the FFT. Mahal kasi ng orig, e. Ang hirap pa hanapin. By the way, Sir Cebuboy, is the FFT you mentioned still installed on any of your guns?

Thanks again.

cebuboy
03-24-2009, 04:05
ehehe nope, was not mine in the first place :) If you can get it dirt cheap, the free floating does help in improving your groupings.

Young Once
03-24-2009, 05:23
Thanks, Sir Cebuboy. Sorry I mispelled your handle. Just noticed it now. Was quite in a rush to type out the reply earlier when I was in the office. I'm just curious. How will free floating improve groupings. To me, the tube is just a replacement for the original handguards which will allow installation of other accessories, or am I missing something. Thanks in advance.

Young Once
03-24-2009, 05:24
Sir Paltik, what did you mean when you said both of them were out of spec?

cebuboy
03-24-2009, 06:58
Free floating will remove any external force acting on the barrel, without any external force acting on the barrel, shots are more consistent. Non free floating rails is said to affect the barrels harmonics and makes it less consistent, especially if you hang a lot of stuff on it. In my experience with a 20" govt. profile A2 barrel, it made a difference.

TP rails are not made to exact military specifications which results in a too tight or a too loose fit of accessories.

hth

Young Once
03-24-2009, 07:07
OK. Thanks Sir Cebuboy. Your advice is highly appreciated, as always.

cebuboy
03-24-2009, 09:15
Happy to help :)

vega
03-24-2009, 12:56
I have an Knight's Armament RAS M5 that I'm selling.
$175.00 used condition.

http://www.del-ton.com/Knights_Armament_RAS_p/km1005.htm

paltik45
03-25-2009, 09:16
Sir Paltik, what did you mean when you said both of them were out of spec?

My friend what I mean is mr. TP didnt follow/copy the exact blue print of the MIL-STD 1913 picatinny rails. You can google the dimension of this rail on the net. I hope this helps.

Young Once
03-25-2009, 09:24
Thank you, Sir Paltik. Anyway, decided to forego with the TP tube. Its a good thing I asked first. As always, you always get good valuable advice here. More power to all. Will just get a bipod with barrel adapter instead. Thanks to all!

paltik45
03-27-2009, 06:29
Thank you, Sir Paltik. Anyway, decided to forego with the TP tube. Its a good thing I asked first. As always, you always get good valuable advice here. More power to all. Will just get a bipod with barrel adapter instead. Thanks to all!

JMHO sir, the main purpose of the FFT is to free the barrel from any undue stress to increase its accuracy. But by attaching a bi-pod directly on the barrel defeats the purpose of the FFT. This what my fellow club members did on thier M16's with TP FFT but latter on they asked somebody to make an adaptor for the FFT. Just sharing my experience my friend.

Young Once
03-27-2009, 16:27
Thank you, Sir Paltik. Really appreciate the inputs.

dbiggershot
03-28-2009, 00:43
anyway how much does TP's forearm rail cost?

Young Once
03-28-2009, 17:45
12k, plus p1.5k for barrel setting