G17 info? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G17 info?

G21
03-23-2009, 13:57
As you can see in my sig, I have a G17,serial # FX950 US. (Yes, just like that. the US is spaced away from the #s a little. Also has the Austrian proofs on frame and barrel.) Bought it with 2 factory non-drop free mags. Pretty sure it was a police trade in, seems like holster wear on certain areas of the frame.

Anyway, it had the black internal parts (ejector) and the non-captured recoil spring with hard plastic guide rod.

Any idea on value and age? No, not selling it, just want an idea. I had considered a frame upgrade so I can use all the cool slide-on gadgets (light, laser,etc) but now I'm not so sure.

Butch
03-23-2009, 19:03
Look on the barrel hood for three small letters to the far right of the serial number. That's the date code...what is it? BTD?

:patriot:

MakeMineA10mm
03-23-2009, 20:06
G21 that's what I would call a typical first-generation pistol.

The first prefix that was imported into the US was AF. The really early ones have a grid in the bottom of the box to hold 9mm cartridges. Soon after they discontinued that feature the boxes came with labels proclaiming that Glock was declared the "Pistol of the Year" in 1986, IIRC. Those stickers lasted about a year...

It sounds like you have an all-original (no trigger parts upgrades or captured recoil spring upgrade), typically-used (police-used guns usually have really bad holster wear on the two sides of the slide) example. Not bad, but not real valuable to a collector. Mostly worth a small premium to someone who is looking for a shootable smooth-grip frame model.

G21
03-24-2009, 09:59
By smooth grip do you mean no finger grooves? Because it has the checkering, for lack of a better word. It's not the "grenade stippling" (I think that's what it's called) like I have seen in pics on other threads here.

Also no cartridge grid in the tupperware box. I also think the label on the box said rebuild on it somewhere.

And Butch, I'll have a looksee on that date code..If I remember to do it tonight.

Butch
03-24-2009, 11:36
By smooth grip do you mean no finger grooves? Because it has the checkering, for lack of a better word. It's not the "grenade stippling" (I think that's what it's called) like I have seen in pics on other threads here.

Also no cartridge grid in the tupperware box. I also think the label on the box said rebuild on it somewhere.

And Butch, I'll have a looksee on that date code..If I remember to do it tonight.
The first gen frames have the smoother 'pebble' grips, the second gen frames have the 'grenade checkering' (kinda like the WWII pineapple grenade).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20pics/Three_Generations.jpg

G21
03-24-2009, 14:59
Ok, mine is definitely 2nd gen. I had thought at one time the first gen was called grenade stippling. My mistake.

Another question-when you said first gen, is the #1 pic what I'm supposed to have, going by serial #? I do remember at one time a person could send in a glock frame and get it upgraded, is this what happened to mine? IIRC glock had to destroy the old frame for the new one to have the old serial #.

Is that still the case?

Butch
03-24-2009, 15:26
Ok, mine is definitely 2nd gen. I had thought at one time the first gen was called grenade stippling. My mistake.

Another question-when you said first gen, is the #1 pic what I'm supposed to have, going by serial #? I do remember at one time a person could send in a glock frame and get it upgraded, is this what happened to mine? IIRC glock had to destroy the old frame for the new one to have the old serial #.

Is that still the case?
Nope, Glock doesn't provide replacement frames with the same serial number on them, and I don't think they ever did. As long as the frame, slide, and barrel all have the same serial number (not counting the US), the gun is all original.

Glocks with the prefix FX are early 2nd generation, based on info collected in out serial number project, there are G17's made during the same time frame with both first and second generation frames, a matter of how long it took to change over all of the molding machines to the newer style frame I'd guess.

Copied from the project:
FA - G-19 - May 1989 - - Austrian proofed
FB - G-19 - May 1989 - 2nd Gen. - Austrian Proof Marks
FD - G-17 - March 1989 - 1st Gen. - code NTD.
FE - G-17 - April 1989 - 1st Gen. - Austrian Proofs on barrel and slide, rebuilt by Glock, 04/98.
FF - G-17 - March 1989 - 1st Gen.
FH - G-17 - April 1989 - 2nd Gen.
FK - G-17 - April 1989 - 2nd Gen.
FL - G-19 - May 1989 - 2nd Gen.
FM - G-19 - June 1989 - 2nd Gen. - Austrian Proofs, ZTD (6/89) proof date, no 9x19 on top of breach area
FN - G-19 - June 1989 - 2nd Gen.
FP - G-17 - April 1989 - 1st Gen.
FR - G-17 - April 1989 - 2nd Gen. - BTD bdc
FS - G-17 - April 1989
FW - G-19 - July 1989 - 2nd Gen. - has Austrian markings
FX - G-17 - May 1989 - 2nd Gen. - Austrian Proof Marks
GA - G-17 - - 2nd Gen. - came with three hi-cap NFML mags
GD - G-17 - June 1989 - 2nd Gen. - has Austrian markings
GF - G-17 - June 1989 - 1st Gen.
GF - G-17 - June 1989 - 2nd Gen.
GG - G-17 - June 1989 - 2nd Gen. - has Austrian markings
GK - G-17 - July 1989
GL - G-17S - June 1989 - 1st Gen. - date code ZTD, Pakistani Police w/manual safety

Note that the first 2nd gen G17's listed are prefix FH in April 89, and the last 1st gen listed is GL in June 89.

G21
03-24-2009, 20:24
Found barrel date - STD

Butch
03-24-2009, 21:15
Found barrel date - STD
And that shows it was indeed made in May of 1989, just like what's posted in the project!