Neckshooting deer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Neckshooting deer

ithaca_deerslayer
03-25-2009, 09:29
In a different thread of a different topic, somebody pointed out the neck as the best place to shoot deer. He uses a .22-250 with 45gr hollow points. (If he sees this thread, he can comment on it himself). He says they always drop, and no meat is lost.

My question is, what do the rest of you think of neckshooting a deer? Are there any negatives?

I only have experience with broadside heart/lung shots. But maybe I should try neckshooting and see how it goes. My concern would be having the bullet miss the spine and vitals in the neck, and just going through wounding the deer.

With the heart/lung area, I was taught that was the biggest vital area and best target of opportunity.

And, I assume, nobody uses neckshooting with arrows, but maybe somebody does and has great success with that?

ithaca_deerslayer
03-25-2009, 09:43
I found this summary of suggested reasons not to. I don't know, so I'm just trying to get a discussion going.

http://www.huntingblades.com/neshareou.html
Neck Shots are OUT!

Contrary to what the name implies, still hunting is the act of walking through the woods, slowly looking for game. It is slow, effective, and very hard to learn to do correctly. Once mastered, still hunting can be one of the most productive hunting methods is the whitetail woods.

I know of a lot of hunters who swear by the neck shot on deer, in my opinion the neck shot is unethical and honestly wastes to much good sausage meat.

The reasons for this decision are as follows:

1. The neck of a deer is a relatively small area compared to the much more humane and ethical lung/heart shot. The only 2 guaranteed areas in the neck that will consistently offer one shot stops are the jugular and the spine each of which are relatively small areas to be shooting at.

2. Even if you are an excellent shot any movement from the animal can cause you to miss the neck all together or worse hitting the animal in a non vital area, resulting in a wounded animal, that will suffer needlessly. Compare the neck movement of a feeding deer to that of the heart and lung shot, the deer is constantly moving its neck, while the chest area remains relatively motionless.

3. The neck shot needlessly ruins more meat that the behind the shoulder shot. I realize that not all hunters do so for the meat, but why waste more than you have to?

As far as I am concerned, neck shots should never be taken, unless the animal is already wounded and it is the only follow up shot that presents itself, the chances of wounding the animal are far too great for the shot to be called ethical.

Hauptmann6
03-25-2009, 11:36
I've shot most of the deer I have taken in the neck. Never had one move other than to fall over. Now that being said. It's a very situational shot. If the animal is moving don't shoot it there. Stopped and eating or looking? Definitely.

No offense to your friend but a 22-250 isn't great choice for deer. I know a couple guys that use them and they both lose more dear than anyone else I know. They hit them and track them forever but never find them.

Tailhunter
03-25-2009, 14:57
Well ... all I can do is comment on what i know to be fact ... with well over 200 confirmed kills. A .22-250 in the out stretched neck of a feeding deer is deadly. There is no tracking, no trailing and no loss. To each their own but when I am grocery shopping, I love my .22-250.

ithaca .... the article you referenced was written by a bone head. There are hunters and there are killers. Hunters read books and buy equipment in hopes of some day shooting a deer. Killers eat some form of venison everyday. I eat therefore I kill. :supergrin:

fgutie35
03-25-2009, 15:11
Is very common on my neck of the woods. Many people prefer shooting the neck broadside. Me I prefer neck shots when deer is looking straight at me or walking away from me (I'm better at guessing windage than drop). The advantage other than being able to use smaller calibers, is the fact that you do not waste any meat or blood (moronga) and you still be able to mount it. As a bonus, your kill is more humane since a shot in the neck, shorts circuits the nerve system and the deer don't suffer a bit and dies more relaxed (softer meat).:supergrin:

noway
03-25-2009, 16:08
Every deer I've seen shot in the neck has dropped on the spot. A lot people does this in the glades on standing water to avoid going thru a lot of water to get the game ;) But it's not a perfer'd shot no do you see any hunting books that shows this as being the perfer'd kill zone on a deer or any animal.

Now a broadside shot into the vitals offers the biggest area ( target size ) an even if you off, you still get a kill ( too high you hit the spine, to low you nip the heart base on right smack middle aimpoint ) With a neck or even a head shot, your room of error is way much smaller.

I guess if one goes out with a smaller inferior caliber, he/she should aim for the neck due to their bad choice of ammo. All of my deers shot with a a known majority deer caliber in a rifle, have fallenl within 10-20yards of being hit, and once again if you stay off the shoulder you don't damage any eating meats.

chevy01234
03-25-2009, 16:19
I shoot all my deer in the neck! I haven't ever lost one and never had to "track" one either.

ajstrider
03-25-2009, 16:31
I haven't ever shot a deer in the neck and don't plan to. People will tell you that they drop instantly, well of course, you are aiming for their spine. If you miss though, you might hit them in the throat, which would be a long painful death I would think, or they choke on their blood if you are lucky. People like to do it because they can use light calibers of the 22 caliber variety. I prefer a good lung and heart shot. But everyone is entitled to hunt their way, and I will defend them against anti hunters!

fgutie35
03-25-2009, 21:24
I haven't ever shot a deer in the neck and don't plan to. People will tell you that they drop instantly, well of course, you are aiming for their spine. If you miss though, you might hit them in the throat, which would be a long painful death I would think, or they choke on their blood if you are lucky. People like to do it because they can use light calibers of the 22 caliber variety. I prefer a good lung and heart shot. But everyone is entitled to hunt their way, and I will defend them against anti hunters!
Tha is why I shot infront of the neck or behind the neck to avoid just ripping its troat. either way I hit, it will brake the spine and cut the nerve system. Even if I'm off an inch or two, the kinetic energy will shred the spine discs on the neck.

msoprano
03-25-2009, 21:45
When deer stop dying from getting shot through the heart/lungs area, I'll shoot their necks. Here is a decent article about neck shooting.

http://www.gunhuntermag.com/Articles/tabid/113/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/136/Nofail-Shot-Placement.aspx

smitty81
03-26-2009, 00:37
I know from expierence that a tough deer will keep going if you shoot the neck and just hit muscle. From the orgional post. Loosing no meat from a hollow point? Thats unheard of, read what a hollow points function is. The neck has a ton of muscle. Why shoot the neck if you can shoot the lung or heart, they will defantly die.

Tailhunter
03-26-2009, 17:20
Every deer I've seen shot in the neck has dropped on the spot. A lot people does this in the glades on standing water to avoid going thru a lot of water to get the game ;) But it's not a perfer'd shot no do you see any hunting books that shows this as being the perfer'd kill zone on a deer or any animal.

Now a broadside shot into the vitals offers the biggest area ( target size ) an even if you off, you still get a kill ( too high you hit the spine, to low you nip the heart base on right smack middle aimpoint ) With a neck or even a head shot, your room of error is way much smaller.

I guess if one goes out with a smaller inferior caliber, he/she should aim for the neck due to their bad choice of ammo. All of my deers shot with a a known majority deer caliber in a rifle, have fallenl within 10-20yards of being hit, and once again if you stay off the shoulder you don't damage any eating meats.

again with the stuff that just isn't so .......

noway
03-27-2009, 00:19
When deer stop dying from getting shot through the heart/lungs area, I'll shoot their necks. Here is a decent article about neck shooting.

http://www.gunhuntermag.com/Articles/tabid/113/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/136/Nofail-Shot-Placement.aspx

very good article.

Also look a this article.

http://hunting.about.com/od/deerbiggame/a/shotplacement.htm

domindart
03-30-2009, 03:15
so.. can you use a .22 cal rifle, say a marlin papoose on a deer successfully? assuming you are aiming for the heart/lungs?

would a scope be smart?

the very very last thing I want to do is hurt an animal and have it suffering its life away.

I have a brother that hunts, so I will ask him more questions on the matter and maybe go with him on a hunt if possible.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-30-2009, 07:06
so.. can you use a .22 cal rifle, say a marlin papoose on a deer successfully? assuming you are aiming for the heart/lungs?

would a scope be smart?

the very very last thing I want to do is hurt an animal and have it suffering its life away.

I have a brother that hunts, so I will ask him more questions on the matter and maybe go with him on a hunt if possible.

You are talking about .22 long rifle. Most would say NO. Too much chance to wound.

If you are talking about .223 or .22-250, with the right bullets, then many would say YES. But not all would say yes, and it would be a hotly debated subject.

All are .22, but a big difference in velocity.

chevy01234
03-30-2009, 15:00
I would not go out deer hunting with a .22 lr but I have killed deer on my farm with both a .22lr and .17hmr. It can be done, although it is not recommended by the masses.

If in a crazy stuck in the wilderness with nothing but my .22, hell yea I will kill a deer with it but I would rather have my .280 or 300 mag!

Just because something CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD be done! Personally, I have no qualms shooting a deer with my .223 either. It's all about shot placement and knowing your personal limitations! This could be argued to death either way!

domindart
03-30-2009, 19:42
okay. if I should happen upon a deer and I need to kill it, what should I do, with a .22lr? how did you do it, chevy?

smitty81
03-30-2009, 23:22
Were kinda getting off subject..............:whistling:

domindart
03-31-2009, 16:22
jesh. thanks .

havensal
03-31-2009, 19:08
Back when I had to use a slug gun or hand gun I would only take broadside shots. I knew that I was not 100% accurate and didn't want to take a chance wounding one.

Now that I can use rifle I will take a head or neck shot. I know where it hits, every time.

As long as you have a clear shot, take it. :wavey:

I took a buck in the back of the neck with me 25-06 and a doe in the head with me .270 this year. Neither were going to give me a better shot. Both dropped.

My muzzle loader isn't as accurate, so I haven't taken anything but a side shot yet. I am not sure I would try a neck shot or not. :dunno:

shot1
04-14-2009, 19:58
If you have to kill a deer with a 22lr shoot it broadside in the ear canal or high through the eye angling back into the brain.

I myself will only neck shoot a deer if it is facing me. I try to wait until it puts it's head down and place the bullet just in front of where the neck and body meet. I always, when possible, enter or try to exit a front shoulder. A lot of my shots are 200 to 300 yards across bean fields or cut overs. In the split second that it takes a bullet to get there a deer can move it's neck and cause a bad shot or a miss at distance. I can shoot all the deer I want so it does not bother me that the front shoulders are toast. We feed them to the dogs so there is no waste.

vafish
04-16-2009, 11:20
I've used a lot of neck shots over the years. Only had 2 that didn't die on the spot.

1st hit low, tore out the jugular veins and the throax. He dropped on the spot, but got back up and ran about 100 yards.

2nd one I hit high, barely grazing the top of the neck. She would have lived happily ever after if she would have run away from me instead of towards me. I shot her through the chest and she still kept coming towards me. 3rd shot was in the neck as she stood at the base of the tree I was in.

OdinIII
04-16-2009, 11:55
The last deer I shot was hit through the back of the lungs while walking. She ran just out of sight then bedded down. When I walked up on her she had laid down her head but was obviously alive. I thought now is a good time to try a neck shot.

I put a 150 grain GameKing through the center of her neck and she proceeds to get up and run another 20 yards then quickly died.

I think the neck shot is just too questionable for me. Everyone else in my family uses the neckshot and claims to have never had one take a step after the shot.

shadowhunter
04-30-2009, 02:31
I shot one deer in the neck at 80 yards with a 300 win mag. It went down and got right back up. It went back down but didn't die. I waited about 30 minutes because I didn't want it to be startled and run off. I finally walked over and popped it in the head with a USP 40. Bad experience, I will never do it again.

Besides that one shot I have always shot them in the pump station, and they only move one way with the help of gravity, and that is down. Like a rock. I use a 300 win mag, or a 270. A 22-250 is to light for deer. I have seen dozens of deer run off when a buddy tries to whack one with an itty bitty bullet, it just isn't smart or humane. One of my relatives went hunting with me and I didn't know what he was shooting with. He shot a deer and came and got me. When he said I shot it right there, and pointed there was nothing there. I said where it it. He replied they always run off when you shoot them with a 22-250, but we find them at least half the time.

There is a reason why all hunting magazines, outdoor shows, and the best experienced hunters don't use high powered 22's on deer, they just don't have the punch it takes to reliably kill deer. I assure you that you haven't discovered any thing new. Millions of hunters for countless years have found that 22's just don't have the balls you need for deer. As far as the neck there is more meat on the neck than there is in the ribs too.

A 22-250 has about 1300 foot pounds of muzzle energy, a 30-06 has about 3360 foot pounds of energy, a 270 has about 3470 foot pounds of energy, and a 300 mag has about 4350 foot pounds of energy it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. A 22-250 is a hot 22 but that being said it is still a 22. If it is all you got, or can afford go with it. If not the energy numbers don't lie. A better cartridge will produce superior results, good luck, and good hunting.

Tailhunter
04-30-2009, 07:24
I shot one deer in the neck at 80 yards with a 300 win mag. It went down and got right back up. It went back down but didn't die. I waited about 30 minutes because I didn't want it to be startled and run off. I finally walked over and popped it in the head with a USP 40. Bad experience, I will never do it again.

Besides that one shot I have always shot them in the pump station, and they only move one way with the help of gravity, and that is down. Like a rock. I use a 300 win mag, or a 270. A 22-250 is to light for deer. I have seen dozens of deer run off when a buddy tries to whack one with an itty bitty bullet, it just isn't smart or humane. One of my relatives went hunting with me and I didn't know what he was shooting with. He shot a deer and came and got me. When he said I shot it right there, and pointed there was nothing there. I said where it it. He replied they always run off when you shoot them with a 22-250, but we find them at least half the time.

There is a reason why all hunting magazines, outdoor shows, and the best experienced hunters don't use high powered 22's on deer, they just don't have the punch it takes to reliably kill deer. I assure you that you haven't discovered any thing new. Millions of hunters for countless years have found that 22's just don't have the balls you need for deer. As far as the neck there is more meat on the neck than there is in the ribs too.

A 22-250 has about 1300 foot pounds of muzzle energy, a 30-06 has about 3360 foot pounds of energy, a 270 has about 3470 foot pounds of energy, and a 300 mag has about 4350 foot pounds of energy it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. A 22-250 is a hot 22 but that being said it is still a 22. If it is all you got, or can afford go with it. If not the energy numbers don't lie. A better cartridge will produce superior results, good luck, and good hunting.

I'm sorry for this in advance .... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

creaky
04-30-2009, 18:52
This is starting to sound like the "best motor oil" argument.

Another good one I overheard when I was a kid was the "sweetcorn" argument.

Dad- "What kinda sweetcorn you plant this year, Fred?
Fred- "Golden Bantam. Same as every year."
Dad- "That Golden Bantam's kinda tough. You oughta try Butter and Sugar"
Fred- "I don't like Butter and Sugar, it's no good!"
Dad- "You ever try it?"
Fred- "Naah, I never did"
Dad- "Well, how do know you don't like it if you never tried it?"
Fred- "It ain't Golden Bantam so's I know it ain't no good!"

Anyway, here in AZ, I use a 30-06 for everything, (big game), increasing or decreasing bullet weight as needed. It may be a tad too much for Coues and Javelina, but I've had pretty good luck with that rifle.

As far as neck shooting goes, I never seem to have the luxury of getting the bloody deer to stand still so I can take a bead on one recommended point or the other. The angle never seems to be right, either. Oh, well, I say do what you can.

Add in- Tailhunter seems to have the experience. If he says the 22-250 works with neck shots, I'll take his word for it. I know it would work with the Coues Whitetail as they quite a bit smaller.

Anyway, interesting thread.

Tailhunter
04-30-2009, 19:04
This is starting to sound like the "best motor oil" argument.

Another good one I overheard when I was a kid was the "sweetcorn" argument.

Dad- "What kinda sweetcorn you plant this year, Fred?
Fred- "Golden Bantam. Same as every year."
Dad- "That Golden Bantam's kinda tough. You oughta try Butter and Sugar"
Fred- "I don't like Butter and Sugar, it's no good!"
Dad- "You ever try it?"
Fred- "Naah, I never did"
Dad- "Well, how do know you don't like it if you never tried it?"
Fred- "It ain't Golden Bantam so's I know it ain't no good!"

Anyway, here in AZ, I use a 30-06 for everything, (big game), increasing or decreasing bullet weight as needed. It may be a tad too much for Coues and Javelina, but I've had pretty good luck with that rifle.

As far as neck shooting goes, I never seem to have the luxury of getting the bloody deer to stand still so I can take a bead on one recommended point or the other. The angle never seems to be right, either. Oh, well, I say do what you can.

Add in- Tailhunter seems to have the experience. If he says the 22-250 works with neck shots, I'll take his word for it. I know it would work with the Coues Whitetail as they quite a bit smaller.

Anyway, interesting thread.

Our deer here are not real large. Does average 115-120 lbs. Have killed them in PA 140-150. I could fill my freezer with just a couple of Canadian deer ... but whats the fun in that ... :supergrin:
Have to do 10 to 12 a year here ......

Jonesee
04-30-2009, 20:02
From this post it seems that neck shooting deer is a preferred method.

However, I have hunted deer for 40 years. Grew up in Missouri, lived in Colorado, Arkansas Oklahoma, Michigan and Florida. I have probably hunted with over 100 different guys in all terains. I have probally seen over 1000 deer after being killed. I can count neck shot deer on 1 maybe 2 hands. Ive seen far more deer shot between the eyes than I have neck shot. I dont doubt all you guys do it, but there is no way on earth from the rockies east it is happening with any frequency. West of the rockies, I can't say. I haven't hunted over there much yet.

And the deer shot between the eyes have come from 2 sources. 1) I have a friend who hunted his cornfields by stalking perpendicular to the rows. He would quietly crawl between the stalks and look down the row. If he saw a deer and could take a head shot he did. In corn during the day the deer are always laying down and no way to hit them in the body cavity. he was deadly at this method. 2) The other common way deer get shot between the eyes is when they are poached and shot by jack-lighters. The poacher aims between the glowing eyes of the frozen deer.

I don't doubt people do it. But in my experience a neck shot is not very common.

shadowhunter
04-30-2009, 22:40
You know the neck shot is a little hookey, but I can see it working especially if you hit them in the spine. But as far as a good place to shoot with the biggest area, where a shot will be in the kill zone, the neck is not the place an experienced hunter shoots, unless there is no other choice. People have been hunting for thousands of years, and there is a reason why the neck isn't the shot of choice. It is because there is something else that works better. Now I can see someone shooting an itty bitty bullet, trying to come up with an effective way to kill deer, and trying to increase the lethality of a cartridge that is better reserved for squirrels. If you are going to hunt deer get a deer gun, and leave the varmint calibers at home. Also check with any hunting book, hunting show, or even an experienced hunting guide. They wont tell you to use a 22-250, and they wont tell you to shoot them in the neck.

Nickotym
05-02-2009, 22:32
The last deer I shot was hit through the back of the lungs while walking. She ran just out of sight then bedded down. When I walked up on her she had laid down her head but was obviously alive. I thought now is a good time to try a neck shot.

I put a 150 grain GameKing through the center of her neck and she proceeds to get up and run another 20 yards then quickly died.

I think the neck shot is just too questionable for me. Everyone else in my family uses the neckshot and claims to have never had one take a step after the shot.

This is where people get messed up. On a broadside shot, the center of the neck is not where you want to be. You need a broadside neck shot to be in the upper third of the neck so it hits the bone, but not high enough to miss the bone.

JCWIU
05-20-2009, 21:53
I have taken several deer w/ head/neck shots. But I only take that shot if they are 20 yards or closer, like standing under the tree. Otherwise I'll only take a good broadside chest shot.

noway
05-22-2009, 00:43
You know the neck shot is a little hookey, but I can see it working especially if you hit them in the spine. But as far as a good place to shoot with the biggest area, where a shot will be in the kill zone, the neck is not the place an experienced hunter shoots, unless there is no other choice. People have been hunting for thousands of years, and there is a reason why the neck isn't the shot of choice. It is because there is something else that works better. Now I can see someone shooting an itty bitty bullet, trying to come up with an effective way to kill deer, and trying to increase the lethality of a cartridge that is better reserved for squirrels. If you are going to hunt deer get a deer gun, and leave the varmint calibers at home. Also check with any hunting book, hunting show, or even an experienced hunting guide. They wont tell you to use a 22-250, and they wont tell you to shoot them in the neck.

I have to laugh at that bold section...but so true. and I have to agree w/Jonesee comments & evaluations based on 40years ;)

Tailhunter
05-25-2009, 14:29
Hey I know a bunch of plumbers that have been in the trade for 40 years and I wouldn't let them plumb an outhouse. Not that that is the case here but ....

and the part about leaving the squirrel guns home ... how big are the squirrels where you live.

Everybody's an expert ... whatever. Do what works for you but don't put the other guy down for doing what works for him. If you are a 300 win. magger in the shoulder ... fine, whatever works for you .... I been eating venison for a long time and things work for me a little different.

Bannack
06-10-2009, 04:18
As a Hunters Ed Instructor for both Bowhunting and Rifle, I would say no on the neck. And we will not advocate it under any conditions. The vertebrae is to small of an area. Sure there are those of you that do it, and have had success in doing it, but all it takes is just one bad shot.

We advocate only the heart lung area for bowhunting, and and rifle hunting as well. I'm a bowhunter, so my arrows are going to be placed where I train for.

http://www.redhawk-archery.com/deer-anatomy.jpg

Boris Bush
06-13-2009, 10:37
As a Hunters Ed Instructor for both Bowhunting and Rifle, I would say no on the neck. And we will not advocate it under any conditions. The vertebrae is to small of an area. Sure there are those of you that do it, and have had success in doing it, but all it takes is just one bad shot.

We advocate only the heart lung area for bowhunting, and and rifle hunting as well. I'm a bowhunter, so my arrows are going to be placed where I train for.

http://www.redhawk-archery.com/deer-anatomy.jpg

I remember taking a HE class a long time ago. The instructors told us this and that. My dad told me just answer the questions the way they tell you and you will be good.

Now on to my real hunting teacher. The man that taught me how to kill a deer at 700 yards while hunting in a shotgun only zone. The only cover was knee to chest high grass. We "hunted" the deer, got to within 100 yards and it being game 7 and in triple overtime while raining and the last day I could get out with a deer with the "text book" shooting spots covered by the grass..... Well I took a neck shot with my opensighted 12 gauge. I heard the 1oz slug slap into the flesh and the deer went straight down from the shot.

For some hunting is not a sport, it is a way of life. With a wife at home blasting my ear she wants fresh veni for the meatloaf she plans on making tomorrow, well I hafta kill me an animal.

Funny thing is all the experts tell me no shoulder shots, no neck shots.... But these shots are the only shots that give me on the spot drops:dunno:.

I was taught by my father how to hunt. Not in a class room by an instructor. Neck and shoulder shots were taught and are used. Why would I make a shot on a deer in the lungs knowing it will run 200+ yards when I am 10 feet from my property line and the deer is pointing toward the fence line? That deer was shot, dropped and half gutted when the anithunting neighbor came to the fence line and yelled at me for shooting a deer that was about to enter his land:faint:. I told him to eat a D*** and stop harassing me (against the law) before I called a game warden. Shouldershot I was "taught" to not use worked fine.

No neck shot is silly when it is your only option. Don't give me the pass and waite bull either. That crap does not cut it when you are hunting. Neck shots work. Why not have a bunch of tools in your bag to get the job done? Its akin to keeping one tool in you $10,000 tool box for working on cars. Makes no sense.

For me if I have textbook (rarely get them in the field) broadside shot its a shoulder. If I am in the bush and the neck is what I got, I take it. Like others have said before me, it works........

smitty81
06-13-2009, 12:47
I remember taking a HE class a long time ago. The instructors told us this and that. My dad told me just answer the questions the way they tell you and you will be good.

Now on to my real hunting teacher. The man that taught me how to kill a deer at 700 yards while hunting in a shotgun only zone. The only cover was knee to chest high grass. We "hunted" the deer, got to within 100 yards and it being game 7 and in triple overtime while raining and the last day I could get out with a deer with the "text book" shooting spots covered by the grass..... Well I took a neck shot with my opensighted 12 gauge. I heard the 1oz slug slap into the flesh and the deer went straight down from the shot.

For some hunting is not a sport, it is a way of life. With a wife at home blasting my ear she wants fresh veni for the meatloaf she plans on making tomorrow, well I hafta kill me an animal.

Funny thing is all the experts tell me no shoulder shots, no neck shots.... But these shots are the only shots that give me on the spot drops:dunno:.

I was taught by my father how to hunt. Not in a class room by an instructor. Neck and shoulder shots were taught and are used. Why would I make a shot on a deer in the lungs knowing it will run 200+ yards when I am 10 feet from my property line and the deer is pointing toward the fence line? That deer was shot, dropped and half gutted when the anithunting neighbor came to the fence line and yelled at me for shooting a deer that was about to enter his land:faint:. I told him to eat a D*** and stop harassing me (against the law) before I called a game warden. Shouldershot I was "taught" to not use worked fine.

No neck shot is silly when it is your only option. Don't give me the pass and waite bull either. That crap does not cut it when you are hunting. Neck shots work. Why not have a bunch of tools in your bag to get the job done? Its akin to keeping one tool in you $10,000 tool box for working on cars. Makes no sense.

For me if I have textbook (rarely get them in the field) broadside shot its a shoulder. If I am in the bush and the neck is what I got, I take it. Like others have said before me, it works........
Please:upeyes:

Boris Bush
06-13-2009, 20:46
Please:upeyes:

Be a man. Don't be ascared.

Jeremy_K
06-13-2009, 21:34
Man, if I was that good with a 12 gauge with open sights at 100 yards, I'd just aim for the brains. Why waste a good neck roast?:rofl:

Boris Bush
06-15-2009, 13:12
Man, if I was that good with a 12 gauge with open sights at 100 yards, I'd just aim for the brains. Why waste a good neck roast?:rofl:

:yawn:

It was 88 yards for the shot. Scopes do not make a gun anymore accurate either. A gun is going to be as accurate as it is going to be and if you need a scope to hunt anything under 100 yards then you need to learn to shoot. The Benelli M1S90 I was shooting was sighted in at 50 yards to hit 4" high. The Winchester 3" slugs (the load the gun shot best) would put 5 shots into 2.5" at 50 yards from field shooting positions (never seen a bench in the woods) I also knew where my gun hit at 60,70,80,90, and 100 yards because I shot it for groups at them ranges. I got a doe at 94 yards two days later....

You might not be able to do it. I know people that can run (sprint) a mile in 4min45sec, no way I will ever be able to do that. .........

Not shooting would have meant wasted backstaps and steaks. :yawn:

Good luck with your brain shot kid..

Jeremy_K
06-15-2009, 16:03
Well son, I can tell you stories of deer I've dropped with my scoped 12 gauge slug gun while they were running full bore. I'd also be man enough to admit that I got flat out LUCKY too.

Boris Bush
06-16-2009, 00:04
Well son, I can tell you stories of deer I've dropped with my scoped 12 gauge slug gun while they were running full bore. I'd also be man enough to admit that I got flat out LUCKY too.

We all get lucky sometimes, I have a few lucky tales myself.

The ones I told here were not due to luck. They were because of practice and knowing the limits of my chosen weapon for that hunt.

smitty81
06-16-2009, 06:23
We all get lucky sometimes, I have a few lucky tales myself.

The ones I told here were not due to luck. They were because of practice and knowing the limits of my chosen weapon for that hunt.

:mallninja::reindeer: :whistling:....................................:rofl:

Poppa Bear
06-16-2009, 07:02
We all have stories of LUCK. My last buck was neck shot at around 375 yards. Am I a great shot OR WHAT!!!!

THE TRUTH........ I had the elevation correct hold for a heart/ lung shot. What I was not able to properly adjust for was windage from the small ravine half way between us that pushed the bullet hard. Fortunately for me he was grazing when I took the shot so the bullet that would have missed to the front took him through the spine just behind his head. We did not know for sure where he was hit until we skinned him out.

Have I taken others with a neck shot? Yep, and every one was facing me from less than 100 yards out. If they are anything but head on I will go for the heart lung shot.

Boris Bush
06-16-2009, 13:42
:mallninja::reindeer: :whistling:....................................:rofl:

I love you jokers. Not enough brains to come up with something. Here is a pic of the field in the late spring with me going after some Woodchucks in there.

No mall anywhere near here. Maybe you could call me a back woods Ninja. More fitting.......

http://media1.dropshots.com/photos/104896/20060707/b_192013.jpg

nmk
06-17-2009, 00:01

Wow. What an irresponsible hunter. Why would you take such a shot? Have you no respect for the game you pursue?

Jeremy_K
06-17-2009, 13:20
Wow. What an irresponsible hunter. Why would you take such a shot? Have you no respect for the game you pursue?

That was in my younger days when I was still excited and cocky. A 12 gauge slug will drop a deer pretty much anywhere you hit it (or at least cause serious blood). It's a whole different world than rifle hunting. On the other hand, I am a bowhunter more than anything and have the utmost respect for the game I pursue.

nmk
06-17-2009, 21:19
That was in my younger days when I was still excited and cocky. A 12 gauge slug will drop a deer pretty much anywhere you hit it (or at least cause serious blood). It's a whole different world than rifle hunting. On the other hand, I am a bowhunter more than anything and have the utmost respect for the game I pursue.

I apologize. I spoke too soon. :wavey:

Big Bird
06-18-2009, 11:25
In 30+ year of big game hunting on three continents I have some common sense perspective to share.

The money shot on big game is the heart lung broadside shot. This is not in dispute. If you go on an African Big game safari your guide will tell you to shoot your Kudu, Gazelle, you name it...in the boiler room.

If you go to Europe and hunt Gams, Hirsch, Mouflon, or Roe...they will tell you to shoot it behind the leg.

But that doesn't mean the neck shot isn't an option... Its simply not the preferred way of doing business.

Animals simply don't always stand perfectly broadside and still. In fact rarely will they do so. So hunters sometimes take angle shots in less than ideal situations.

Having killed upwards of 70 head of big game I can tell you with perfect certainty that if you hunt long enough and shoot enough animals you WILL have animals that run off and will be lost. You WILL have animals that you execute a perfect shot and they will still run 200 yards. You WILL take less than perfect shots that work like a lightening bolt. You WILL botch some shots. Any hunter than hasn't had one or more of the above is either VERY lucky or really hasn't hunted much.

Look, a neck shot on a deer can be effective. But it also has a tremendous margin of error given the infinite number of variables present in a hunting situation--95% of which you have no control over. That's why I say the heart lung shot is the money shot. If you are a little too forward you break a shoulder and still hit some vital plumbing. A little too far back you get the lungs and perhaps liver. A little too high and you hit the spine. So the hear lung shot provides foe a tremendous margin of error with pretty good results nonetheless.

I'm not saying I have never taken a neck shot and never will. I'm simply saying that the neck shot gives you another option under less than perfect conditions. It has its limitations--pretty hard to argue the neck shot is a long range option--its not. But if I had a clear neck shot on a record book deer at 40 yards in deep cover--I'm taking that shot! Same situation and I can take the money shot--I'm putting the lead in the heart/lung.

Deer aren't hard to kill. But no animal goes bang flop every shot every time. NONE!

noway
06-18-2009, 16:45
In 30+ year of big game hunting on three continents I have some common sense perspective to share.

The money shot on big game is the heart lung broadside shot. This is not in dispute. If you go on an African Big game safari your guide will tell you to shoot your Kudu, Gazelle, you name it...in the boiler room.

If you go to Europe and hunt Gams, Hirsch, Mouflon, or Roe...they will tell you to shoot it behind the leg.

But that doesn't mean the neck shot isn't an option... Its simply not the preferred way of doing business.

Animals simply don't always stand perfectly broadside and still. In fact rarely will they do so. So hunters sometimes take angle shots in less than ideal situations.

Having killed upwards of 70 head of big game I can tell you with perfect certainty that if you hunt long enough and shoot enough animals you WILL have animals that run off and will be lost. You WILL have animals that you execute a perfect shot and they will still run 200 yards. You WILL take less than perfect shots that work like a lightening bolt. You WILL botch some shots. Any hunter than hasn't had one or more of the above is either VERY lucky or really hasn't hunted much.

Look, a neck shot on a deer can be effective. But it also has a tremendous margin of error given the infinite number of variables present in a hunting situation--95% of which you have no control over. That's why I say the heart lung shot is the money shot. If you are a little too forward you break a shoulder and still hit some vital plumbing. A little too far back you get the lungs and perhaps liver. A little too high and you hit the spine. So the hear lung shot provides foe a tremendous margin of error with pretty good results nonetheless.

I'm not saying I have never taken a neck shot and never will. I'm simply saying that the neck shot gives you another option under less than perfect conditions. It has its limitations--pretty hard to argue the neck shot is a long range option--its not. But if I had a clear neck shot on a record book deer at 40 yards in deep cover--I'm taking that shot! Same situation and I can take the money shot--I'm putting the lead in the heart/lung.

Deer aren't hard to kill. But no animal goes bang flop every shot every time. NONE!

as usual you hit the nail on the head.

100% ditto

:goodpost: