Carry knife question... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry knife question...

EddieMossberg
03-25-2009, 22:43
Hi all, I'm curious about the legality of concealing a 2.5 inch blade. I would typically wear jeans and a t-shirt. If I were to clip the knife inside my front right pocket, the t-shirt would cover the knife from view. Is this ok since the blade is so small? I've seen the knife laws website and a couple other resources, yet I still can't find a clear answer on this. I'm usually in Henderson, though I commute to Vegas pretty often as well. I'm hoping someone may be able to shed a little light on this subject. Is it EVER legal to conceal a small folding knife in the Vegas/Henderson area? Under three inches= ok to conceal? Thanks if anyone has some info! I'm not willing to do something illegal, that's the point of my question, thanks again!

Harley Rider 1955
03-25-2009, 23:04
This Texican can't help you. There are no concealment laws in Texas.

JimBianchi
03-25-2009, 23:32
From personal experience I can say no local cop cares one hoot about a pocket knife, unless it is pulled or used in a threatening manner or the they search you and you did not notify them of it first.

For SD situations its all going to come down on the DA. Generally speaking, justified is justified, but if you are even close to being wrong, you are going to to have problems. (When he was my wife's boss, I had a conversation with Stuart Bell, Former Clark County DA, and in a nut shell, that is what he told me.)

Specifically, from the way I read the NRS, no knife can be carried concealed, even if you have CCP.

But again, as with a pistol, just don't be wrong when you use it.

(Years ago I got complacent about carrying 5 inch switch blade, after a while I forgot it was frowned on. I was helping a cop break into something and without thinking, pulled it out to use it. A few minutes later in private, he asked for it and that was that....)

EddieMossberg
03-26-2009, 11:22
Thanks for the responses. I have always alerted an officer about my pistol the few times I have been pulled over, I just hand them my permit with my license. It has gone well every time. I believe this combined with my peaceful attitude may have got me out of a ticket once or twice as well. I think I'll continue my research before I carry my blade, thanks again for the responses!

Baba Louie
03-28-2009, 09:53
Clark County Code has this:
12.04.180 Concealed weapons prohibited without permit.

It is unlawful, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, for any person to carry upon his person a concealed weapon of any description, including a knife with a blade of three inches or more, a gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, capable of being concealed, without first having received written permission therefor from the sheriff. (Ord. 242 18, 1965)
http://ordlink.com/codes/clarknv/index.htm
City of Las Vegas Code says:
10.70.010 Defined. "Dangerous or deadly weapons" includes, but it not limited to:
(A) Any dirk or dagger;
(B) Any knife with a blade three inches or more in length;
(C) Any snap-blade or spring-blade knife, regardless of length of the blade;
(D) Any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool;
(E) Any straightedge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle;
(F) Any dangerous or deadly weapon within the meaning of any law of this State restricting the use thereof; and
(G) Any cutting, stabbing or bludgeoning weapon or device capable of inflicting grievous bodily harm; and
(H) Any firearm, as defined in Section 10.66.010, other than one carried pursuant to a valid permit issued by a duly authorized governmental authority or an ordinary rifle or shotgun lawfully carried for purposes of hunting or other lawful sport. The permit requirement does not apply tohttp://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?pid=16257&sid=28

You'll have to look up NLV, Henderson, BC and State req'ts, because they all say something on the issue, usually along those lines. Ride wid da law, not agin it and you'll probably...mostly, more than likely be good to go. Hopefully. So a 2-1/2" blade might be legal, should be legal, heck, push the envelope and go up to 2-31/32" blade :supergrin: