Two Inch Mini Shells [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Two Inch Mini Shells

dagnabbit
03-27-2009, 02:11
I heard about mini shells and all the probs involved in cycling them through, but those all seemed to be one and a half and one and three quarter inch sizes. I came across some two inchers with 6 pellets of OO and bought a couple of boxes, thinking that lengthening them up a tad might have taken care of the situation.
They cycle through my mossy 500 perfectly and I'm taking them to the range to test them out. Advertised velocity is 1250.
They would seem to be ideal softer recoil HD, especially for smaller framed shooters, and of course the added bonus is ten rounds of goodness in the tube instead of seven.
Anybody have any experience with these?

Gribble
03-27-2009, 04:59
Who is the manufacturer?

silentpoet
03-27-2009, 07:24
Should be Aguilla I think. I am not familiar with them other than what I have read. However at the local gunstore all they have is birdshot and it is more expensive than the reduced recoil buck shot in the next bin.

dagnabbit
03-27-2009, 23:18
Centurion (http://www.dkgtrading.com/centurion/cenbuck.html), made in Italy.
I took a box out to the desert and tried it out. As I mentioned they cycled through just fine without firing. I loaded five and ran through them, then staggered the rest with normal 2 and 3/4 inch buckshot.
They loaded and ejected just fine, no hangups, so lengthening those problematic inch and a half and inch and 3/4 to two inches apparently worked, at least in my 500.
Recoil was substantially reduced. I guess six pellets at 100 f/s less than standard velcity really tamed the kick.
My impression? Even though they feed just fine and you can stuff more in the mag, they aren't my cup of tea and I'll stick with the usual ammo, seeing as my mossy has a sidesaddle. However they'll be perfect for the mrs who wants to own a shottie. I'm getting her one of those Century arms 870 knockoffs. Handled one the other day and it's smaller, lighter and seemed well made, so extra capacity and mild recoil will be right up her alley.

Bohica1998
04-05-2009, 02:01
Did you try out the other ammo they show on that link?

That "Multi-Defense Buckshot" sounds interesting.

"One .650" RB and six #1 Buck", hmm

dagnabbit
04-07-2009, 02:48
No I didn't, Bohica. I'm now near Prescott so I've been buying from J&G and they only have the OO minis.
By the way, I've talked at length with those guys and business is up 400% this year.

ampdog
04-10-2009, 02:16
This is interesting. I have a lot of experience with the Aguilla shells. I even took my TIG welder to my shell elevator to lengthen it and make it more reliable with the smaller shells. Nothing works very well with the birdshot version, they are just too light and bounce around too much before feeding (jam almost everytime). However the slugs do ok, I get about 7 jams per 100 pumps with that ammo. I still have a mod or 2 up my sleeve to try and make it even better, but have not gotten around to it. It's real fun ammo to shoot!

I can't wait to try the Centurion (http://www.dkgtrading.com/centurion/cenbuck.html) ammo, THANKS for the link!

Also, these guy's offer a 1.8 inch, "Short Magnum Buckshot" and "Super 8 Buckshot". Some folks are selling them on gunbroker. Has anyone tried them?
http://www.paraklesetechnologies.com/products.asp?mode=ProdCat&ProductCategory=5.+12+Gauge+Training,+Less+lethal,+and+Highly+Lethal+ammunition

Blast
04-10-2009, 02:27
:supergrin:
http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/aguila.html

MrMurphy
04-10-2009, 07:58
The Aguila shells cycled well in my Nova SP, I only had six shells on hand to test though (no more at the shop).

TENWHEELER
04-10-2009, 08:33
I purchased a few boxes of these last week and tested them in both my 870 and Benelli Pintail.

I would not recommend using them in a semi-auto. They jammed on me on virtually every shot. Had trouble feeding and what is weird I even had trouble extracting a couple of times.

However, they cycled extremely well through my 870. Patterend well from the 870 and I probably will be loading these in my HD weapon.

ampdog
04-10-2009, 11:33
I just noticed. I think centurion is made by Aguila.

culleniii
04-20-2009, 10:40
lets compile a list of pumps it works combat reliable in--meaning no tricks/mods/have to pump it just right and hodl it this way etc.

nova

i heard worked---combat reliable?

anymore shotguns tried?

i still have the Aguilla mini-shells--only use in single shot and doubles now---they never ever worked reliably in a Winchester 1300 or Mossberg 500

i love the idea of the shells--more ammo, reduced but still enough power, and still 12 guage --lost hair and made gray tryin to get Aguila shells to cycle

hyper-glock
04-20-2009, 10:53
I just noticed. I think centurion is made by Aguila.

Centurion is the importer of Aguila. Centurion is not a very good company to deal with. I had some Aguila ammo that was not made to SAAMI spec and I notified Centurion. I was asked to ship them the bad ammo which I did. They said Aguila probably wouldn't do anything and asked what other caliber I would like to replace the bad stuff. I told them and then heard nothing more. All my inquiries after that go unanswered.

I figure I'm out about $75 including the ammo and shipping. No more Aguila or Centurion products for me.

ampdog
05-13-2009, 18:02
FYI, I bought all 3 (Aquilla (already had it), Centurion, and Paraklese) to compare.

It turns out that the Centurion and Paraklese shells are both 1.8", even though Centurion markets theirs as a 2" shell. Ofcourse, Aquilla is a 1.5" shell.

Centurion is a 6 x 00 buckshot (1250 fps w/ 18" barrel)
Paraklese is a 9 x 00 buckshot (1300 fps w/ 18" barrel)
Aquilla is a slug. (1250 fps w/ 18" barrel) they have birdshot too but it jams way too much because it is not heavy enough (bounces). I haven't tried their Buckshot.

Both Centurion and Paraklese cycle flawlessly in my Mossberg 500 18" barrel. I can get 7 in the tube.

The Aquilla mini-slugs cycle very well, but not flawless. They are fine as long as you pump sharp and hard. When the gun starts getting dirty and the pumps aren't so smooth you will get a few hangs where the shell doesn't line up. But, I can get 8 of these in the tube.

If you mix 5 Aquilla's and 3 Centurions or Paraklese you can still get 8 in the tube.

Also, I have extended my shell elevator + 13/16 of an inch to work with the Aquilla shells. They cycled very very poorly with the stock length shell elevator. I might make it a little longer and see if it helps, but I don't think it will.

culleniii
07-10-2009, 14:40
I just ordered 2 boxes of Centurion 00 Buck Mini Shells.

I will be testing them in a Mossberg 500, Maverick 88, and Mossberg 930 Tactical.

I will give results of reliability on here when done.

kimo
07-11-2009, 14:18
Anyone ever try these in a Saiga 12?

GLShooter
07-20-2009, 16:50
I've never tried the factory mini's but I do load my own 2" 12 gauge with a one ounce load of shot. They run 100% in my wifes 1100 and in my Benelli Super 90. I use components that I got at Ballistic Products. Cut down AA hulls and load on a modified MEC 650. I have done regular star crimps and roll crimps with spreaders and they do well on steel targets in the matches I shoot.

Greg L.

ampdog
08-07-2009, 13:28
Anyone ever try these in a Saiga 12?

Aquilla's are a no go in the saiga. Right off the bat they don't make the magazine happy.

I think they are pretty much off limits for all auto's.

I am surprised to hear the 2" shell's will go in the 1100's. I'm going to have to borrow my grand dads gun and give that a try.

AggiePhil
02-02-2010, 21:26
Where's the best place to order these? Ammunition To Go appears to only have the Centurion Multi-Defense. I'm looking for the Mini-Buck.

PPP
02-03-2010, 06:37
:supergrin:
http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/aguila.html
:upeyes:

PPP
02-03-2010, 06:40
lets compile a list of pumps it works combat reliable in--meaning no tricks/mods/have to pump it just right and hodl it this way etc.

nova

i heard worked---combat reliable?

anymore shotguns tried?

It's my understanding that the 870 requires some minor modification to run these shells reliably. There is a gunsmith in our town that does it on a regular basis- though I'm not sure what all the process entails.

Puppy
02-03-2010, 06:56
Personally I wouldn't trust any shells for serious purposes that my shotgun was not specifically designed to feed & eject.

AggiePhil
02-03-2010, 08:31
Yeah... The Aguila shells look to be a bit TOO small. The 2" Centurion shells on the other hand, might be a good option for the wife's shotgun or something. Supposedly they didn't neuter the loads a bunch (still six balls of 00 buck at 1250 FPS), and at 2", they should still load fairly reliably. Of course, YMMV so one should be sure to do plenty of test firing in their particular shotgun.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/ammo-for-shotguns/12-gauge/p/centurion-12ga-6-pellet%2C-00-mini-buck-2in-10rd-boxes/cPath/52_458/products_id/3243

DHart
06-21-2010, 17:47
Any updates from you folks who have the Centurion 2"ers? I just ordered some from cheaperthandirt to try in my short version 1300. I've heard the 1300 feeds this stuff flawlessly... looking forward to finding out for myself.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/Win1300Birdshead.jpg

I think they would be awesome in the Coach Gun for my wife to use. No feeding to worry about, low recoil, and six 00 balls at 1250 fps in a 4" diameter, with one trigger pull, still has some serious stopping power.

I would still use regular 2 3/4" reduced recoil 00 Buck in my stocked shotguns.

mike28w
06-21-2010, 22:38
Any updates from you folks who have the Centurion 2"ers? I just ordered some from cheaperthandirt to try in my short version 1300.

Fwiw.... they seem to work fine in my 1200 Defender. They are not recoil free,though. They are less than the reduced recoil 2 3/4 shells... my wife still didn't like them. I'm considering a Knoxx Spec-ops stock. mike

DHart
06-21-2010, 23:19
Fwiw.... they seem to work fine in my 1200 Defender. They are not recoil free,though. They are less than the reduced recoil 2 3/4 shells... my wife still didn't like them. I'm considering a Knoxx Spec-ops stock. mike

I think a lot of ladies would probably like a low recoil 20 ga. a little more than the 12.

I find the 2 3/4" reduced recoil 00 Buck relatively comfortable and controllable with my PGO 1300. Of course being a PGO, reducing the recoil a little more will aid controllability even more. Is the drop down from there with the 2"ers fairly noticible?

Invictus
06-22-2010, 19:50
Someone needs to try these in a Ithaca 37, I hear even the 1.5in work in one.

Keeperofthedew
06-24-2010, 16:45
I got 100rds of the Centurion 2" shells (and for those who say they're actually 1.8" shells, measure a 2 3/4" or 3" shell) in #1 Buck. Shot 50rds through my Mossberg 500, gave 10rds to my dad to use in his coachgun and the other 40rds are my go-to HD ammo.
I love #1 Buck, and finding it in these shells just made my day. 12 pellets vs the 8 in the 00 load.

DHart
06-25-2010, 01:50
I got 100rds of the Centurion 2" shells (and for those who say they're actually 1.8" shells, measure a 2 3/4" or 3" shell) in #1 Buck. Shot 50rds through my Mossberg 500, gave 10rds to my dad to use in his coachgun and the other 40rds are my go-to HD ammo.
I love #1 Buck, and finding it in these shells just made my day. 12 pellets vs the 8 in the 00 load.

Keeper.... sounds like you are giving these a big thumbs up. Nice! I take it they have functioned flawlessly otherwise they wouldn't be your HD ammo. I'm looking forward to receiving my shipment so I can test them out.

Keeperofthedew
06-26-2010, 03:21
I think they're great. I actually orriginally bought them because I was going to set up my 500 with a speedfeed pg like you've got on your 1300, but I couldn't (and can't) find anyone who has any in stock for the Mossberg.
They patterned about the same as standard buckshot for me, and unlike the Aquilas (which my 500 will choke on if not pumped perfectly) these do indeed run flawlessly.

As always though, YMMV.

DHart
06-26-2010, 03:28
Keeper.... I tried in vain to find a birdshead grip for my Mossberg 500. Could not make it happen. But I learned that Speedfeed still makes it for the 1300, that's what led me to the 1300 in the first place! Now I feel so fortunate because not only could I have the birdshead but I discovered an entire line of shotguns that I had never given much thought to before. And they're my favorite pump guns now.

I got my Centurion 2" 00 Buck shells today. Will probably step onto the back porch tomorrow and pop some off. Lookin' forward to it!

Birdshead came off last night and on went a Hogue OM 12" LOP butt stock... man I like this shotgun! I have a third 1300 on it's way to me. THe birdshead is going to go on that one and I'm going to keep this matte finish 1300 with the Hogue stock... it's a stealthy little bad ass bugger!

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/Win1300Black.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/ShotgunTrio.jpg

AggiePhil
06-26-2010, 10:34
What is a Birdshead stock? I have a Speedfeed Youth Stock on my 1300 and it works well but that Hogue looks nice.

DHart
06-26-2010, 12:36
What is a Birdshead stock? I have a Speedfeed Youth Stock on my 1300 and it works well but that Hogue looks nice.

Phil... see my pic in post #24... that's a birdshead grip. It's shaped just like the neck of a full stock so you have the same comfortable wrist angle with the gun that you have with a full stock, but without the extra butt hanging off the end. I think it's a far superior PGO than the typical "pistol" grip which puts the wrist at a very sharp angle down.

As for the Hogue OM 12" LOP stock... oh man it this the hot ticket! Very popular with the police and now I see why. Feels awesome and makes for really quick shouldering and nimble handling/swinging... even while wearing a thick coat or body armor.

AggiePhil
06-26-2010, 14:46
Oh OK. I would still call that a PGO and would never have it on one of my guns.

DHart
06-26-2010, 15:18
Oh OK. I would still call that a PGO and would never have it on one of my guns.

I still call it a PGO also. ;) And if you don't wish to have one, nor feel it would meet a need for you, then I would recommend that you not put one on any of your guns. Best to stick with a shoulder stock unless the birdshead would meet a need and you can handle it well.

DHart
06-26-2010, 17:14
Day of reckoning for the Centurion 00 Buck 2" shells and my guns... I stepped out back, loaded one of my 1300 Defenders with 10 of them and started shooting. To my surprise, my 1300 would not feed them reliably AT ALL... unexpected after all I've heard about these shells and the 1300. I didn't even bother to try my other 1300 because I don't really care... this is just for fun.

For the heck of it, to see if these shells would be useful in any pump, I decided to try the Mossberg 500 Persuader and wonder of wonders, they flew through that gun no problemo. Just the opposite of what I thought would happen. Didn't bother trying with my 590 either, because the result wouldn't matter much anyway.

Fired them in the Coach gun too... and lo and behold... no problem feeding there either. ;)

As for felt recoil, I found the recoil to be quite close to that of the reduced recoil 2 3/4" 00 Buck loads.

So bottom line for me... I'm going to blast the rest of these for fun with the 500 and the Coach Gun and for any serious purpose, stick with 2 3/4 00 Buck tactical stuff with reduced recoil... that's good stuff and stone reliable.