Cleaning a Glock-19 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Glock-19

Danel Boone
03-27-2009, 06:52
Good morning.

Just shot my new Glock-19 for the first time, and could not wait to get home, field strip it and clean it.

I downloaded a video from Talon Enterprises, where there is a good cleaning video. The trainer did not use a jag in the cleaning process, but should I decide to use one, must I use a NYLON jag instead of the brass one I already have?

Also, the front sight seems to be able to be shifted either right or left as there is a slot on the side of the sight. Is there a special "tool" to do this, as it seems that the further away from any metal instrument your Glock is, the safer the finish is?

Thanks, and I am happy to be a member from Sarasota Florida.

Danel

Japle
04-03-2009, 10:28
Danel,

Brass or Nylon is fine. Neither will damage the bore or chamber.

Personally, I use a .22 brass brush with a .45 patch and Breakfree. Any of the usual cleaners will work.

I've never seen a Glock front sight that could be drifted right or left, but have seen aftermarket sights that are made for a dovetail. The standard Glock front sight is held in with a screw from the inside of the slide. It takes a 3/16" thinwall socket, if I recall correctly.

Check out the TruGlo TFO sights. They're the best I've found for both daylight and night shooting.
Here's what the ones on my G19 look like:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/Japle/Guns/G19.jpg

palladen1331
04-09-2009, 21:45
glocks from the factory come with plastic sights on the front.it is held in place with a plastic wedge. after market steel sights use a small screw on thebottom of the sight. I do beleive this is correct.

Lynchman66
04-19-2009, 08:50
Danel,

Brass or Nylon is fine. Neither will damage the bore or chamber.

Personally, I use a .22 brass brush with a .45 patch and Breakfree. Any of the usual cleaners will work.

I've never seen a Glock front sight that could be drifted right or left, but have seen aftermarket sights that are made for a dovetail. The standard Glock front sight is held in with a screw from the inside of the slide. It takes a 3/16" thinwall socket, if I recall correctly.

Check out the TruGlo TFO sights. They're the best I've found for both daylight and night shooting.
Here's what the ones on my G19 look like:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/Japle/Guns/G19.jpg
I just ordered a set

FTONEL
04-23-2009, 20:00
I have a pair on my g27. They are great sights.

Kuvasz
05-12-2009, 16:15
those TFOs look great...any deals out there...i'd like to try them on a g23....also, any other color combos?

packinaglock
05-12-2009, 16:31
Got TFO's on my 19, I love em!