Buying a used tower... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used tower...

Generalcarry
03-27-2009, 07:05
at the center we also have the gun shows at. I'm going it to replace a Dell dimension 4100 that is for my grandkids (oldest are 5) only. The old one has windows 98 and I'm basically looking for windows XP, a HD larger than the 30g, and as quick as I can get for around $100. I maxed the RAM out in the old Dell, and the thing sounds like a plane taking off.
Are there any suggestions as to what to look for or any questions I should ask? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

Am I expecting too much for $100????????

dotsun
03-27-2009, 11:03
I'd check craigslist and yard sales. Heck we throw old outdated boxes away at work or give them to employees, so it's just a matter of looking around. I doubt you'll have any probs finding a usable box for web surfing and the like for $100.

solomansousana
03-27-2009, 13:02
http://www.pacificgeek.com/

Generalcarry
03-28-2009, 05:25
I found nothing at the computer show. I did see XP restorations cd's and it dawned on me when I gave my boy my Dell Dim. 8200, it came with the XP restoration as well as all the other programs. Can I just use those cd's to update the Win 98 to XP? The RAM on the 4100 is at 512. Would that be enough to run XP?
Then all I would have to do would be remove and replace the fan.

dotsun
03-28-2009, 08:54
I found nothing at the computer show. I did see XP restorations cd's and it dawned on me when I gave my boy my Dell Dim. 8200, it came with the XP restoration as well as all the other programs. Can I just use those cd's to update the Win 98 to XP? The RAM on the 4100 is at 512. Would that be enough to run XP?
Then all I would have to do would be remove and replace the fan.

XP will run fairly well with 512.

IndyGunFreak
03-28-2009, 09:04
XP will run fairly well with 512.

True enough, but will a 8200 restore CD, work on a 4100...

I don't think it will, but it can't hurt to try.

IGF

Generalcarry
03-28-2009, 09:59

IGF

I thought that if it was Dell to Dell it would be OK, kinda like an upgrade? I'll give it a shot and post my results.

joeroket
03-28-2009, 10:52
IndyGunFreak is probably right. The hardware on the two are more than likely completely different and the restore CD has the HAL information on it. I am willing to bet that it will load but will Blue Screen on the OS's first boot.

Glock!9
03-28-2009, 11:01
I thought that if it was Dell to Dell it would be OK, kinda like an upgrade? I'll give it a shot and post my results.

are you technical? could you fix a box with minor issue?
PM me...

dotsun
03-28-2009, 20:37

IGF

That's why I didn't comment on the cd. :supergrin: I've never used the dell software stuffs. OP, let us know if it worked.

LinuxKnight
03-29-2009, 05:55
I'm surprised IGF didn't mention it already...
but if the restore CD from the other Dell doesn't work, might we suggest you give Linux a try.
Linux will run quite nicely on older hardware, 512MB should be fine.
Many of the popular distributions are very easy to install and get up and running (for the most part), and will serve just fine for basic internet usage.

Many of these also have what is called a Live CD, which you download and burn, and boot the machine with this CD in the drive. It will then run the Linux OS "live" from the CD without installing to your hard drive. This makes for a good way to test your hardware compatibility with Linux, to see if you like this particular distribution, and also for rescue purposes. If you decide you like a particular version you can then install it to the hard drive.

Some of the popular, easy to use, and well supported distributions (there are many many more):
Fedora - www.fedoraproject.org
Ubuntu - www.ubuntu.com
OpenSuSE - www.opensuse.org

My suggestion, again if you are feeling a little adventurous and the Dell restore CD doesn't work, is to download the live CD of each of these, and give it a try. It won't wipe your drive unless you tell it to, so it is a safe way to test things out.

If you want to discover the enlightenment of the Path of the Penguin*, have no fear, your fellow GT Linux Geeks are here! :)

*Tux the Penguin is the mascot for Linux: http://www.linux.org/info/logos.html