laser or light for glock? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : laser or light for glock?

southernr
03-27-2009, 11:34
I know for home defense one or the other is excellent to have but which would you recommend over the other. To me the laser seems the best because in the heat of things it will be hard for me to focus on the sights and the BG. But the light also seems like a plus as it will help to identify your target. What i don't like about the light is that it would give away my exact position quicker than the laser. Your thoughts?

surfdog
03-27-2009, 15:00
I know for home defense one or the other is excellent to have but which would you recommend over the other. To me the laser seems the best because in the heat of things it will be hard for me to focus on the sights and the BG. But the light also seems like a plus as it will help to identify your target. What i don't like about the light is that it would give away my exact position quicker than the laser. Your thoughts?

Identifying your target is paramount. Flashlight in one hand, gun in the other might be the best.
That way, you're not aiming a loaded gun at anyone while you are in an 'agitated' state,
investigating a suspicious sound, for example.

I'm not up on lasers, but I think I'd want both night sights AND laser, as you can't have too many
backup systems in that situation.

Good question as I'm in the same position... And need to follow my own advice... Unless someone
has a better idea.

Glock Steady
03-27-2009, 15:30
I prefer the use of both. Even with a gun mounted light, in the dark, you'd would still be able to search around you using your peripheral vision. And to keep the BG from knowing exactly where you are/when you're coming don't keep the light on, but turn it on in pulses instead. Even if they see your light shine for a second or two during a sweep of the area, they won't be able to mount a proper offensive if you keep moving when you turn it off.

DannyR
03-27-2009, 15:49
Please do not confuse house clearing with home defense. House clearing is an offensive maneuver best performed by a swat team. In a home defense situation, if you suspect an intruder, you and your family should be trained to retreat to the designated safe room. Once inside:

1. lock the door
2. call the police
3. if anyone tries the door, shout stop or I'll shoot
4. If the door is then forced open, shoot at the figure in the doorway from your concealed position. For this you need neither sights or lasers, as you will be within 15 feet of the doorway. A hand held Surefire is most helpful. Flash the target and fire if necessary. A mounted laser may be of help if you cannot hit a target at 5 yards.

Don't go wandering around the house looking for trouble just because you have a firearm.

Glockster_James
03-27-2009, 23:44

I'll try to keep this blunt but not mean....ALWAYS IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET. Forget the laser. Get a good light. Sure, it may or may not be a nice tool...but fact is that 1...you should should be shooting until you've identified your target as an imediate danger to your life, 2...you've got to be able to see what you're shooting at before you can attempt to make an accurate shot at it.

Danny is correct in the advice he offered you. Someone breaks into your house...don't go looking for them unless you HAVE to. Might be your house and you might know the layout better than anyone...but no need to go put yourself in any unneccessary danger.

Brian Lee
03-27-2009, 23:49
Use both.

Check out this

http://www.laserlyte.com/Laser_Gun_Sights/Sub_Compact/FSR-00V2-140.html#

and notice that it can have this mounted under it.

http://www.laserlyte.com/FlashLytes/WL_1.html

The laser has a detachable (metal) rail that can be screwed on for mounting things under it, or you can leave the rail off if you want. The flashlight is not so bright in the daytime, but in a dark house, it's perfect and very small. I've got one and love it. The whole setup is made of aluminum, and rugged as all heck.

Morgo
03-28-2009, 01:02
Tlr-2

Glockster_James
03-28-2009, 12:43
Use both.

Check out this

http://www.laserlyte.com/Laser_Gun_Sights/Sub_Compact/FSR-00V2-140.html#

and notice that it can have this mounted under it.

http://www.laserlyte.com/FlashLytes/WL_1.html

The laser has a detachable (metal) rail that can be screwed on for mounting things under it, or you can leave the rail off if you want. The flashlight is not so bright in the daytime, but in a dark house, it's perfect and very small. I've got one and love it. The whole setup is made of aluminum, and rugged as all heck.

If you can...can you take a picture of your setup and how it lights up a dark room? I'm kind of curious for two reasons:

1. In my experience, any manufacturer that uses multiple LEDs are cheap garbage lights because the LEDs are not mounted far enough back in the reflector to focus the light output towards the center.

2. Also, as said on their page, its rated at 25 lumens.

If money is an issue and can't pick up the TLR-1 with C4 LED for $80 from OMB Express, I'd say run to Target and pick up Almost any of the Inova T series flashlights (smallest one starts at like $35 and rated at 100 lumens) and learn proper techniques of gun in one hand and flashlight in the other. Personally I like the Inova's for two handed use...I've had my T4 for about 4 years now. Its been kicked across parking lots, smashed on concrete floors repeatedly, saved my hip from being road rashed, and still functions every time without ever having to be worked on.

Brian Lee
03-29-2009, 00:36
If you can...can you take a picture of your setup and how it lights up a dark room? I'm kind of curious for two reasons:

1. In my experience, any manufacturer that uses multiple LEDs are cheap garbage lights because the LEDs are not mounted far enough back in the reflector to focus the light output towards the center.

2. Also, as said on their page, its rated at 25 lumens.

I'm sorry but I don't have a camera except my cell phone and it's takes worthless pictures. The LED's in the unit I showed actually do not have a reflector, just a metal protection ring around them, so I don't think they even pretend that it's as bright as some of the others out there. The reason I like mine is that it's so small, and it has very good battery life, and it's quickly detachable, which I like, since in the daytime you don't need it on there.

It's still bright enough to be very usable in a dark house, so I slap it on there when I'm in for the night, but you wouldn't expect to light up your back yard at very far distances with it. If you want something that bright, you'll have to go with one of the larger units you mentioned, and I think their size is mainly because those units need to have a much bigger battery in them. I just wanted something smaller on the gun, and being able to separate the light from the laser in the daytime appealed to me. I also liked that it was metal. I suspect you could run over it with a car and not hurt it.

Glockster_James
03-29-2009, 02:22
I'm sorry but I don't have a camera except my cell phone and it's takes worthless pictures. The LED's in the unit I showed actually do not have a reflector, just a metal protection ring around them, so I don't think they even pretend that it's as bright as some of the others out there. The reason I like mine is that it's so small, and it has very good battery life, and it's quickly detachable, which I like, since in the daytime you don't need it on there.

It's still bright enough to be very usable in a dark house, so I slap it on there when I'm in for the night, but you wouldn't expect to light up your back yard at very far distances with it. If you want something that bright, you'll have to go with one of the larger units you mentioned, and I think their size is mainly because those units need to have a much bigger battery in them. I just wanted something smaller on the gun, and being able to separate the light from the laser in the daytime appealed to me. I also liked that it was metal. I suspect you could run over it with a car and not hurt it.

Good enough reasoning. :) Don't worry, won't ask ya to go run over it with your car. ;) Push come to shove, its better than nothing at all like you say. Most importantly, sounds like it works for you and your house so you can identify prior to shooting so thats good. :)

RayB
03-29-2009, 19:45
I consider a light and laser to be exclusive of one another.

I consider night sights to be exclusive of lights and lasers.

A hand held Surefire is most helpful. Flash the target and fire if necessary.

Why, in particular, is a hand-held SureFire preferred over a weapon light?

Don't go wandering around the house looking for trouble just because you have a firearm.

This is wise, unless all members of the family aren't accounted for. In the latter case, I want to be in a position to intervene, to help, if at all possible.

I'm not up on lasers, but I think I'd want both night sights AND laser, as you can't have too many backup systems in that situation.

I agree. In fact, I want all three--light, laser, night sights! And so, our G19 and G21 are equipped as such!

--Ray

David_Ely
03-29-2009, 20:38
I'm a firm believer of a laser on the gun and a flashlight in the hand. That's for home defense, not offense. That's what works best for the way my defensive plan is set up in my house. Besides, it's never pitch black in my house as we have some small lights on in strategic places all night long.

rollem
01-31-2010, 21:26
Although lasers are cool and all. NEVER rely/depend on them. You never know when they'll fail (dead batteries, broke lens, out of zero). Iron sight's hardly ever fail. Also remember a strong light like a stinger or equivelant shined in someones eyes in the dark WILL incapacitate their vision giving you some valueable time to move or position yourself. If it's just for fun cool. Just dont depend on it, always go back to basics. my 2 cents...

Bilbo Bagins
02-01-2010, 10:17
I think a simple gun light is very helpful in a HD situation. There are a lot of situations where you need a free hand and having a seperate flashlight in your non gun hand really screws that up. In a barricade situation you might be watching a hallway or door with a one hand, while talking to a 911 operator on the phone with another.

I also hate to say it but that laserlyte gun light look pathetic. 25 lums sucks. For the same price you can get a TLR3 and that throws 90lums

RayB
02-01-2010, 18:55
1) Although lasers are cool and all. NEVER rely/depend on them. You never know when they'll fail (dead batteries, broke lens, out of zero).

2) Iron sight's hardly ever fail.

3) Also remember a strong light like a stinger or equivelant shined in someones eyes in the dark WILL incapacitate their vision giving you some valueable time to move or position yourself.

4) If it's just for fun cool. Just dont depend on it, always go back to basics. my 2 cents...

I've reread your post three times. At first, I thought I understood the spirit of it--get your basic marksmanship skills to fall back on--but I find the message a bit confusing.

Its been said before, Lasers don't replace basic marksmanship skills! Of course they do! That's rather the point, isn't it? Lasers require a different shooting technique, combined with a proper stance and grip, but they do indeed, take the place of sighting down the barrel!

The proper use of a laser combines some of the basic shooting training with an alternative targeting technique. Your front sight's ostensibly projected onto the target, so why sight down the barrel? :headscratch:

1)These systems are designed for precisely that--to work when the SHTF! If you can't rely on them, then what's the point? :dunno:

2) True. But what if it's too dark to use them? What if you're forced into a situation where sighting down the barrel isn't practical, or possible, or too slow? :dunno:

3) So why no failed batteries or broken lens in a Stinger? While you're right about the effect of an ultra-bright flashlight, the Stinger will do nothing a high-end weapon light won't do. :dunno:

4) People don't spend $300.00 on a laser and $250.00 on a weapon light just for fun! These are tactical tools designed to be an asset to a weapon platform, and with the right training, they are! Again, otherwise what's the point? :dunno:

I agree that basic weapons training with the gun(s) you own or carry is the foundation of competence. I also think that night sights, weapon lights and lasers are for more than idle amusement! Forgive me, but if you believe otherwise, you don't know how to use them.

While I don't question your skills with your own weapons and flashlights, I do take issue with your assertion, "If it's just for fun cool. Just dont depend on it..."

Please see the excellent Crimson Trace DVD feature, Shots In The Dark, before replying. It was sure a revelation to me!

--Ray

Hairy
02-01-2010, 19:32
CT Laser are a great product and they are about failsafe in my book, I have them on mine and my wife's firearm, and get a LED Surefire light..Lowe's in Florida had them, about $60.00....I have a 2gl-bk runs on 2 3 volt batts.......this sucker will blind you, I've had to use it in a defensive mood already, totally blinded the dude and stopped forward progress. Use what you are used to and practice makes perfect no matter what your choice. :wavey:

rollem
02-01-2010, 19:39
I've reread your post three times. At first, I thought I understood the spirit of it--get your basic marksmanship skills to fall back on--but I find the message a bit confusing.

Its been said before, Lasers don't replace basic marksmanship skills! Of course they do! That's rather the point, isn't it? Lasers require a different shooting technique, combined with a proper stance and grip, but they do indeed, take the place of sighting down the barrel!

The proper use of a laser combines some of the basic shooting training with an alternative targeting technique. Your front sight's ostensibly projected onto the target, so why sight down the barrel? :headscratch:

1)These systems are designed for precisely that--to work when the SHTF! If you can't rely on them, then what's the point? :dunno:

2) True. But what if it's too dark to use them? What if you're forced into a situation where sighting down the barrel isn't practical, or possible, or too slow? :dunno:

3) So why no failed batteries or broken lens in a Stinger? While you're right about the effect of an ultra-bright flashlight, the Stinger will do nothing a high-end weapon light won't do. :dunno:

4) People don't spend $300.00 on a laser and $250.00 on a weapon light just for fun! These are tactical tools designed to be an asset to a weapon platform, and with the right training, they are! Again, otherwise what's the point? :dunno:

I agree that basic weapons training with the gun(s) you own or carry is the foundation of competence. I also think that night sights, weapon lights and lasers are for more than idle amusement! Forgive me, but if you believe otherwise, you don't know how to use them.

While I don't question your skills with your own weapons and flashlights, I do take issue with your assertion, "If it's just for fun cool. Just dont depend on it..."

Please see the excellent Crimson Trace DVD feature, Shots In The Dark, before replying. It was sure a revelation to me!

--Ray
Ray, your abviously a fan of lights and lasers and thats cool. Your preference. It's been debated many times before and probaly many more to come. When I first join the service they werent really around. Then they were slowly introduced. They were useful at night and in the field (especialy the infared ones), and in the day time you could go iron or scope, a good balance. I just see alot of people SPENDING money on them when they cant even acheive good grouping. They could spend that 300 bucks on a case of ammo and actually learn their weapon. Then buy the light/laser after and it would make them that much more efficient. By the way I own 2 light/laser combo's...... It's just my opinion.

eaglesfan55
02-01-2010, 19:42
If money is an issue and can't pick up the TLR-1 with C4 LED for $80 from OMB Express, I'd say run to Target and pick up Almost any of the Inova T series flashlights (smallest one starts at like $35 and rated at 100 lumens) and learn proper techniques of gun in one hand and flashlight in the other. Personally I like the Inova's for two handed use...I've had my T4 for about 4 years now. Its been kicked across parking lots, smashed on concrete floors repeatedly, saved my hip from being road rashed, and still functions every time without ever having to be worked on.

+1 for inova. im a mechanic and the inova i have in my box is the only one that has lasted for more than 6 months other than my snap-on hand held flood light.

not to mention theyre small, light, and WILL blind anyone stupid enough to look at it from the wrong end

David_Ely
02-01-2010, 20:19

--Ray

Excellent post!

RayB
02-02-2010, 13:50
1) Ray, your abviously a fan of lights and lasers and thats cool. Your preference. It's been debated many times before and probaly many more to come.

2) When I first join the service they werent really around. Then they were slowly introduced. They were useful at night and in the field (especialy the infared ones), and in the day time you could go iron or scope, a good balance.

3) I just see alot of people SPENDING money on them when they cant even acheive good grouping. They could spend that 300 bucks on a case of ammo and actually learn their weapon. Then buy the light/laser after and it would make them that much more efficient.

4) By the way I own 2 light/laser combo's...... It's just my opinion.

1) I like them on a household, bedside weapon, and I can certainly see where professionals might find them useful.

90% of my practice is with open sights! That's where the fun is!

2) Understood. These things are more tools in the box!

3) With the possible exception of the physically compromised, I agree absolutely! Basic skills are the foundation of competence! :thumbsup:

4) You little devil! :supergrin:

--Ray

RayB
02-02-2010, 13:54
Excellent post!

Thanks! :wavey:

--Ray

rollem
02-03-2010, 10:38
I went campin about a month ago. It was raining and cold. So we made a huge fire, set up some target and shot until the we hours of the morning. It was dark. only the campfire light. Guess who hit the most target with his laser/light..... Me....lol..... ;)

Huntabuck
02-03-2010, 11:00
Please do not confuse house clearing with home defense. House clearing is an offensive maneuver best performed by a swat team. In a home defense situation, if you suspect an intruder, you and your family should be trained to retreat to the designated safe room. Once inside:

1. lock the door
2. call the police
3. if anyone tries the door, shout stop or I'll shoot
4. If the door is then forced open, shoot at the figure in the doorway from your concealed position. For this you need neither sights or lasers, as you will be within 15 feet of the doorway. A hand held Surefire is most helpful. Flash the target and fire if necessary. A mounted laser may be of help if you cannot hit a target at 5 yards.

With all do respect, I completely disagree with most of this. I'm just not the type of person who is gonna sit back and wait for a swat team to be deployed so that my house can be cleared. If I hear a noise or think that there is a threat in my house then im gonna go looking for it to keep that threat from further causing damage to my property or from getting closer to my family. Granted my family would still go to a designated safe room and such. Why wouldn't I go stop the threat considering it's in my house which means that i'd have the tactical advantage?

As for the light/laser question, i'd go with a light. It allows for a free hand if you need it. Plus, more than likely, you will be within 5 yards or so of the threat so if you center that light beam on the threat, your probably gonna hit it:supergrin: