CCW & Guns In bars? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW & Guns In bars?

ISOM
03-27-2009, 13:52
Has anybody heard if Gov. Kaine has VETOED the guns in bars bill?

Aroooo
03-27-2009, 14:16
apparently just today:
http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/VETOGAT27_20090327-151205/242586/

Kaine vetoes death penalty expansion and guns-in-bars bills
By Staff Reports

Published: March 27, 2009

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine today vetoed five death penalty bills and a bill that would allow someone to carry a concealed weapon into a bar or restaurants.

"Virginia is already second in the nation in the number of executions we carry out," Kaine said in explaining his veto of the bills that would extend the death penalty.

On the guns bill, he said, "Allowing concealed weapons into restaurants and bars that serve alcohol puts the public, the employees, and our public safety officers at risk. I take seriously the objections of law enforcement to this measure."

Kaine also vetoed a bill that would allow localities to buy back guns, then sell them to dealers.

The General Assembly will return to Richmond April 8 to consider the gubernatorial vetoes and whether to attempt to override them with a two-thirds vote of each house.

Va Vince
03-27-2009, 18:07
Damn liberals, I cant stand Kaine. I am prety sure that the LEO's he is refering too must have come from a dream!

Hydraulicman
03-27-2009, 18:10
I'm not sure how I feel about this. If i'm going to the bar I usually leave my weapon behind. if I'm not going to drink i might take it along but it's ok to do so in my part of town if you don't drink.

I don't like going to bars as it is.

Nicko
03-27-2009, 20:26
Vetoed again :faint:

Abby Normal
03-28-2009, 13:16
Here's what I know from yesterday's VCDL VA Alert email. It seems there is still a thread of hope for this year. Fortunately we'll be electing a gun friendly governor soon.

URGENT ACTION ITEM AT END, PLEASE DO YOUR PART - WE CAN FIX THIS!

Governor Kaine vetoed a host of guns bills, some for things that the bills don't even do!

He thought he knew what they did, but he clearly didn't bother to actually read them.

This would almost be comical if it didn't affect the safety of the public.

Here are the bills he vetoed and his, er, logic in doing so, and my comments:

SB 1035, Senator Hanger, repeals the restaurant ban. Governor says, "Allowing concealed weapons into restaurants and bars that serve alcohol puts the public, the employees, and our public safety officers at risk. I take seriously the objections of law enforcement to this measure." Baloney. The Governor orders the police to tell him they think allowing permit holders to carry concealed in restaurants, even if they don't drink, endangers the public, then he uses their coerced statement to justify what he was going to do anyhow.

SB 877, Senator Martin, repeals the restaurant ban for retired police. Governor Says, "While it makes sense for current law
enforcement officers to be permitted to carry their firearms when in such establishments, there is no compelling reason for retired law enforcement officers to have weapons in locations where alcohol is served." Well at least the Governor is consistent in his double-standard, that allows untrained Commonwealth Attorneys and their deputies to carry concealed in restaurants and drink, while denying anybody not on the government payroll the same right to protect themselves, not matter how trustworthy they have proven themselves.

HB 1851, Delegate Lingamfelter, exempts active duty military from One Handgun a Month. Governor says, "The new exemption would apply to active duty service members, whether Virginia residents or not. Because holders of valid Virginia concealed weapons permits are already able to purchase more than one handgun per month, House Bill 1851 only extends the ability to buy more than one handgun a month to nonresidents or those Virginians unable to obtain a concealed weapons permit." What?!? Unable to get a permit or CHOOSE not to, Governor? The Governor must be related to Marie Antoinette, with his "let them eat cake" attitude toward our military. Shameful.

SB 1528, Senator Cuccinnelli, allows for Internet-based training for CHP applicants. Governor says, "The state requires an applicant for a concealed weapons permit to take a written safety test to demonstrate that the individual understands how to use a weapon in a safe manner. Allowing the testing to be done online would weaken the ability of the Commonwealth to determine who is actually taking the test and open up opportunities for individuals to receive a permit under fraudulent circumstances with no guarantee that they can use a weapon safely." WHAT?!? There is NO requirement in current law for a written SAFETY TEST!!! Where did he come up with that? So he vetoed this bill based on a law that he just made up out of thin air. If there is any fraud going on, Governor, it is YOU swearing an oath to defend and protect
the Constitution.

HB 2528, Delegate Cole, requires that localities pass an ordinance before doing gun buy-ups. Governor says, "I veto House Bill 2528, which unnecessarily interferes with the operations of local governments. Specifically, the bill prohibits local law enforcement from choosing to conduct voluntary gun buyback programs and then destroying the weapons. Some localities have found this program to be effective in reducing the number of illegal firearms in their communities. It is not a mandatory program, and law enforcement in each locality have made the decision whether such a program is desirable in their own county or city. There is no compelling reason for the General Assembly to take this decision out of the hands of local law enforcement." WHAT?!? It does NOT require that localities not destroy guns. The final bill that passed made it an option for localities to be able to either do that or to sell the guns to a federally licensed gun dealer. The Governor is NOT reading these bills and is vetoing them based on erroneous knowledge of what the bills do! Harvard needs to get that diploma back ASAP.

I would sum up Governor Kaine's attitude as, "To hell with the will of the People as expressed through the Legislature. I, King Kaine, know what all the People want and need and I have no interest in hearing their little voices and don't want to be confused with the facts."

--

What now?

On April 8th the General Assembly meets to override the Governor's vetoes. Unlike Governor Kaine, the General Assembly needs to show that public safety is more important than blind anti-gun politics.

A quick look at the vetoed bills:

SB 1035, the restaurant ban repeal, needs 5 more votes to be overridden in the Senate and the VCDL "robo calls" are working that issue right now. The House only needs 1 more vote to override the veto. (Senate 22 to 16, House 66 to 33) SEE ACTION ITEM BELOW!

SB 877, the restaurant ban repeal for retired police, passed by a large veto proof margin. (Senate 40 to 0, House 84 to 15)

SB 1851, One Handgun A Month exemption for active duty military, passed by a large veto proof majority. (Senate 31 to 8, House 86 to 13)

SB 1528, internet training for CHPs, passed by a large veto-proof majority. (Senate 29 to 10, House 99 to 0)

HB 2528, gun buy-up bill, passed by a large veto-proof majority. (Senate 28 to 12, House 85 to 11)

So only one bill is in any real jeopardy, SB 1035, the restaurant ban repeal for CHP holders. The other bills have decent margin of votes to override the Governor's veto.

--

ACTION ITEM

If YOUR Senator is one of the following:

Blevins, Colgan, Herring, Lucas, Norment, Northam, or Petersen

And/Or YOUR Delegate is one of the following:

Albo, Amundson, Caputo, Dance, Hamilton, Hargrove, Mathieson, May, Melvin, Paula Miller, Poisson, Rust, Shannon, Sickles, Tata, Tyler, Vanderhye, or Watts

You need to call them NOW and let them know that since they supported RETIRED police officers carrying concealed in restaurants, even if they are drinking alcohol, they NEED to change their vote and override the Governor's veto to SUPPORT concealed handgun permit holders carrying concealed in restaurants if they don't drink!

These legislators simply cannot justify what they have done by their contradictory votes. We MUST call them and let them know we expect them to make it right by overriding the veto.

Here are their LOCAL phone numbers. Remember - call them NOW if they represent you. Have your family members and neighbors do the same.

We CAN do this if enough of you do your part.

Remember to hold their feet to the fire on this one!

Senators:
Harry Blevins, 757-546-2435
Chuck Colgan, 703-368-0300
Mark Herring, 703-729-3300
Louise Lucas, 757-397-8209
Thomas Norment, 757-259-7810
Ralph Northam, 757-818-5172
Chap Petersen, 703-349-3361

Delegates:
Dave Albo, 703-451-3555
Kristen Amundson, 703-619-0444
Chuck Caputo, 703-476-6944
Rosalyn Dance, 804-862-2922
Phillip Hamilton, 757-249-2480
Frank Hargrove, 804-550-2900
Bobby Mathieson, 757-470-3000
Joe May, 703-777-1191
Ken Melvin, 757-397-2800
Paula Miller, 757-587-8757
David Poisson, 703-421-6899
Thomas Rust, 703-437-9400
Stephen Shannon, 703-281-5200
Mark Sickles, 703-922-6440
Bob Tata, 757-340-3510
Roslyn Tyler, 434-336-1710
Margi Vanderhye, 703-448-8018
Vivian Watts, 703-978-2989

Broadside
04-02-2009, 09:30
I'm not sure how I feel about this. If i'm going to the bar I usually leave my weapon behind. if I'm not going to drink i might take it along but it's ok to do so in my part of town if you don't drink.

There are no bars in the state of Virginia. In order to have a license for on-premise consumption of alcohol, you must derive at least 40% of your gross receipts from the sale of food.

Notice that whenever you see a "bar" area, it is surrounded by a restaurant. Hence it is call the "restaurant ban" and not the "bar ban".

Richard Simmons
04-02-2009, 09:37
There are no bars in the state of Virginia. In order to have a license for on-premise consumption of alcohol, you must derive at least 40% of your gross receipts from the sale of food.

Notice that whenever you see a "bar" area, it is surrounded by a restaurant. Hence it is call the "restaurant ban" and not the "bar ban".

Correct. For those of you who don't fully understand the situation the "bars" that are being referenced are such notorious establishments as:

Ruby Tuesday's
TGI Friday's
Applebee's
Olive Garden
Texas Steakhouse
Outback

Any place that serves alcohol is off limits to CCW at this time.

gunsite
04-02-2009, 10:33

Good sense, i Hate the combination of Alcohol and Guns, if you're drinking leave it home, if not, carry on.

Orkinman
04-04-2009, 20:21
Good sense, i Hate the combination of Alcohol and Guns, if you're drinking leave it home, if not, carry on.

The Bill wouldn't allow you to drink and carry. It allows someone who's carrying onto the premises of a restaurant that serves alcohol instead of having to take the gun off and leave it in the car. Leaving a gun in the car is a huge security risk. More guns are stolen out of cars than off peoples hips. I shouldn't have to jeopardize my safety and others if someone were to steal the gun out of my car, just so I can go into a restaurant.

Just to clarify if the bill had passed, it would still be illegal to carry concealed and drink. And there are around 20 other states that allow concealed carry in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol and they don't have any problem with it. (I wish I could find the exact number)

RandySmith
04-05-2009, 23:10
Prior to 1995, concealed carry was permitted in these establishments... there wasn't a problem then either.

Randy

ISOM
04-07-2009, 04:57
The guns in bars legislation has been vetoed.
The legislature has the votes to over-ride his veto--Will they?

Aroooo
04-07-2009, 05:54
The guns in bars legislation has been vetoed.
The legislature has the votes to over-ride his veto--Will they?

We'll find out in a day or two - the override vote is tomorrow I think

chris in va
04-07-2009, 10:26
You guys need to understand that open carry is still legal in ABC establishments. Just CC with permit is banned.

So they have the override votes this time, eh? Should be interesting! He veto'ed the bill last year as well.

klt1986
04-07-2009, 20:18
I for one will be glad when Mr. Kaine is no longer our governor!

Aroooo
04-08-2009, 06:12
Its on the Senate calendar (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+cal+SC10408#SBVETO) for today...

drpeej@yahoo.com
04-08-2009, 15:40
We all talk about 2nd Amendment right, how about exercising your right to Free Speech. CALL YOUR LOCAL REPRESENTATIVE NOW!! I used to lobby, they listen to their constituents. CALL YOUR LOCAL REPRESENTATIVE and tell them to override Gov.'s veto.

Aroooo
04-09-2009, 05:29
http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/VETOGATER08_20090408-202603/252209/

Va. Senate upholds four of Kaine’s vetoes
By Jim Nolan (jnolan@timesdispatch.com)

Published: April 8, 2009 (Richmond Times-Dispatch)
The Democratic-controlled Virginia Senate today upheld Gov. Timothy M. Kaine's vetoes of three bills seeking to expand the death penalty and a bill that would allow holders of concealed weapons permits to carry firearms into bars.
A two-thirds vote from both the Senate and the House of Delegates is required to override a governor's veto. Failure to achieve two-thirds in either house means that the legislation will not become law.
Senators sustained the governor's veto on Senate Bill 961, the so-called "triggerman" bill, that would have allowed the death penalty to apply to participants in a capital murder who did not actually pull the trigger.
Senators also voted not to expand the capital murder statute to include death penalty eligibility for people convicted of killing fire marshals [Senate Bill 1069], and a bill designed to extend the same coverage for auxiliary police officers [Senate Bill 1409].
"Virginia is second in the nation in the number of executions we carry out," states Kaine's notes on his vetoes. " . . . I do not believe further expansion of the death penalty is necessary to protect human life."
Senators also refused to override Kaine's veto of legislation that would allow concealed weapons permit holders to carry their weapons into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.
Last year, Senate Bill 1035 cleared both Houses but was vetoed by Kaine -- and Senate supporters of the legislation failed to muster the two-thirds vote needed to override the governor's veto.
"Allowing concealed weapons into restaurants and bars that serve alcohol puts the public, the employees, and our public safety officers at risk," Kaine wrote in explaining his veto, noting the opposition to the legislation by law enforcement groups.
"The only ones who can carry are those with a disregard for the law," said the bill's sponsor, Sen. Emmett Hanger, R-Augusta.
Gun advocates did wring one victory from the Senate, which voted, 30-10 to override Kaine's veto of Senate Bill 877, which will allow retired law enforcement officers to carry concealed weapons into restaurants and clubs that serve alcohol. The legislation is likely to be approved in the House of Delegates and become law.

gtrcivic
04-15-2009, 10:50
i really liked George Allen, made the CCW easier to obtain !

chris in va
04-16-2009, 20:27
Any word on the override?

Richard Simmons
04-17-2009, 10:24
Any word on the override?

It failed. They did over ride the veto to allow retired LEO to CCW and drink.

MavsX
04-17-2009, 12:59
all these rules get confusing and when rules change or try and change year after year..its BS man.

then rules change state to state. They should have laws. federal laws..That everybody abides by..so no more confusing crap.

isnerbs
04-17-2009, 13:10
They should have laws. federal laws..That everybody abides by..so no more confusing crap.

I'm not sure now is the best time for the federal government to take over all of the gun laws... :upeyes:

ChuteTheMall
04-17-2009, 17:56
all these rules get confusing and when rules change or try and change year after year..its BS man.

then rules change state to state. They should have laws. federal laws..That everybody abides by..so no more confusing crap.

No doubt Obama, Pelosi, Schumer, and the rest of them would agree with you.
I want as much freedom as possible.