I need some help from the ladies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I need some help from the ladies

G-23
03-28-2009, 20:45
Good evening, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The back story is. My girlfriend and one of her friend's are talking about getting a hand gun, and there Florida CCW permits. The thing they are worried about is they want something extremely user friend but still small and light enough to fit into almost any purse. Would they be better off with a sub-compact glock or a snub-nose revolver or something else? I am a firm believer that a lot of what gun you own comes down to personal preference. What are your thoughts?<o:p></o:p>

Mrs.Cicero
03-29-2009, 12:13
no woman should choose a gun without having tested it first. That means knowing you like the grip, don't mind the recoil, shoot it straight, and that it fits in whatever method you plan to use to carry it...and if that is purse carry, you better have tried drawing it from THAT purse, cause you may be in for a shock at how slow it is compared to having it on your body. And no, I did not make that list in order of importance.

Mrs.C

sawgrass
03-31-2009, 21:59
My personal favorite is G26. That said, she should shoot before she decides. I'm amazed at how many gun guys try and sell a woman a SW642. It is an evil little revolver, that is very hard to hold onto. Several of my female friends have tried to shoot mine, and after shooting one cylinder, they put it down.

The solution may be more than one gun. It can be harder for women to conceal.
In the least of clothing days, I carry a Ruger LCP with CT laser. The magazine extensions make it much more comfortable.

revguy216
04-02-2009, 08:46
1st off i think its a bad idea to carry in a purse to begin with for the simple fact that there are a LOT of purse snatchers out there. Once they have your purse they also have your weapon. My GF had a hard time pulling the slide back on a semi auto so she went with a revolver and now carries on her ankle.

FrogWithAGlock
04-02-2009, 14:22
no woman should choose a gun without having tested it first. That means knowing you like the grip, don't mind the recoil, shoot it straight, and that it fits in whatever method you plan to use to carry it...and if that is purse carry, you better have tried drawing it from THAT purse, cause you may be in for a shock at how slow it is compared to having it on your body. And no, I did not make that list in order of importance.

Mrs.C

+1

Every woman (and every man) should handle MANY guns, before choosing one. ANd I agree with the holster advice, especially with purse carry.

I personally have no interest in purse carry, because I have small children (as do all my friends), in addition to the purse-snatch risk. I'd rather have it ON me.

lotsa luck
04-02-2009, 19:29
Hello,

New to Glock Talk, but have just gone thru the same agonizing trials with my wife; trying to find a gun that both fits her small grip and is easy to shoot. She did pretty well with a Sig Mosquito, but .22LR is just not enough stopping power, IMO. We finally bought her a Bersa Thunder .380 without her first shooting one since we were unable to find one at a rental range. She just shot it for the first time last week and really likes the feel and the lack of felt recoil. She was almost as deadly with it as the .22

The Bersa doesn't fit my size XL hands well and I don't particularly like shooting it compared to my Glock 19 and she feels likewise. Our next chore is to find a holster that she is comfortable with. I just ordered a Crossbreed SuperTuck for my Glock so when it arrives, maybe we'll have her wear it for awhile to see what she thinks.

lotsa luck

Glolt20-91
04-04-2009, 02:45
My girlfriend and I are going through the same decision process, she's retired and a petite 5'3" who has never shot a firearm 'til meeting me. We live in a very rural area, so predators are added to the self/home protection list. Her centerfire list so far is:

Springfield XD 9sc - several round, her impression - ho hum,

Steyr M40-A1 (most women I teach purchase this platform), pic is from first complete magazine she ever fired. Only the bottom of the pop can was visible at 15yds, Steyr has cycled (brass in air), back on target, no limp wristing - she's also left handed;
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/At%20the%20range/KayfirstSteyrshots2.jpg

Bought her a S&W M396 NG (scandium L-frame Night Guard series in .44 Special) for Christmas;
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/At%20the%20range/ScandiumSmiths008.jpg

Revolver weighs in at about 24oz and the 240gr hardcast bullets bring a very serious load to a gun fight in a low pressure platform.
Her take is the grips need to be smaller and a lighter double action trigger pull, recoil was kind of snappy.

Her second range trip included shooting the .44 Special and Steyr, neither of which were setting her heart on fire. In a joking manner I suggested she shoot my S&W M686 plus (7 round .357mag, 6" barrel). This L-frame Smith has a very smooth double action trigger pull and she shot it very well with carry loads, but . . . size/weight is an issue.
On a roll, the only other handgun I had with me was a G20 with full 180gr Golden Saber handloads. Not knowing that girls don't shoot macho calibers, she proceeded to shoot a couple of magazines and cut a pop can in half with her accuracy.

Working slides is an issue, still working on the push/pull concept, so I think she'll manage a pistol okay with the modified .44 Spcl. as BUG.

Purchased a G20 SF and she went through over 60 rounds, handloaded 135gr Noslers for predator control; very accurate out to 45yds both hands. With modest pull over clothing, the 10mm SF is very do able. The magazine release was bothersome to her while shooting left handed, two hands. One handed was okay.

She did very well with a 1911 in .38Super (basically .357mag performance in a
platform that has less recoil than +P ammo in a G17).

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/At%20the%20range/Para38Super004.jpg

Brought out a Colt XSE, with full 230gr Golden Sabers at 980fps, and this platform has definite possibilities. I set-up three bottles in a horizontal row to simulate a moving target, she shot rapid fire with about .30 second split times; not bad for third trip to the range.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/At%20the%20range/ColtGovernmentXSE4-20-2007016.jpg

A variation of the 5" Government 39oz frame is the 25oz Colt XSE Lighweight Commander; very popular CCW in .45auto - and .38Super of course.
For an article review;
http://www.gunblast.com/Colt-LightweightCommander.htm

She's been fortunate to have handled other platforms also, but there's no substitute for range time. We both went into the training and selection process w/o any preconceived notions, nor any allegiance to a particular gun maker.

In the end, I expect it will boil down to bullet selection for the anticipated situation, which in turn equates to platform/caliber carry.

Take time to train and shoot as many different types of wheelies and pistols of sufficient caliber that will get the job done with the least number of rounds fired.

Currently, with latest generation self-defense ammo technology, the .44 Special loaded with CorBon DPX ammo is the caliber/platform to beat.

Bob

paul gustafson
04-06-2009, 10:36
One very important consideration for choosing a hand gun is capacity. From a 4 round revolver to a 20-something round auto. Many firefights are won by the last person with ammunition. Ask a policeman how many rounds he carries. But please, DO NOT use this as a guideline. Also, never leave your weapon exposed to theft like cops do. A major source of weapons on the street is...COPS! Practice reloading as much or more than shooting. REloading is at least as important as shooting, in a firefight. Don't forget; The last one with ammo..WINS! ...Arive Alive...

Glolt20-91
04-14-2009, 23:35
One very important consideration for choosing a hand gun is capacity. From a 4 round revolver to a 20-something round auto. Many firefights are won by the last person with ammunition. Ask a policeman how many rounds he carries. But please, DO NOT use this as a guideline. Also, never leave your weapon exposed to theft like cops do. A major source of weapons on the street is...COPS! Practice reloading as much or more than shooting. REloading is at least as important as shooting, in a firefight. Don't forget; The last one with ammo..WINS! ...Arive Alive...

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/aztrekker/At%20the%20range/residentEvil.jpg

Rules for a gunfight: Drill Sergeant Joe B. Fricks

Rule #20;
20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

Bob :cowboy:

Swattie's Wife
04-15-2009, 19:59
I own a G27 and a Springfield XD9MM. learned to shoot on the G27 and loved that gun. I thought I would never own another brand. My husband kept insisting I try Springfield. He was right. I not only shoot better but the overall handle is so much better. It just feels better also. Try shooting different types is really good advice. I still like my Glock but my carry weapon is the Springfield.

RottnJP
04-16-2009, 00:15
On a roll, the only other handgun I had with me was a G20 with full 180gr Golden Saber handloads. Not knowing that girls don't shoot macho calibers, she proceeded to shoot a couple of magazines and cut a pop can in half with her accuracy.

LOL Very nice- Sounds like you have a keeper there! :supergrin:

NavDoc
04-25-2009, 13:02
A Bersa 380CC with the right SD ammo is a extremely valid choice for many women. The size, weight, concealability, and low recoil cannot be beat. I have but a few hundred rounds through my wife's Bersa and have found that it is very easy to handle and is deadly accurate.

Folks either love Bersa's or hate them. The majority love them. The minority bad mouth them since the do NOT cost lots of $$$. "If it does not costs more like the Kahr or Sigs, it must be bad". The Bersa Thunder 380CC cost $269. The 9mm version, 9UC, was $369.

halfloaded
04-26-2009, 13:53
i don't like the bersa thunder 380s because the one i bought was a jamomatic. walther ppks are not all that much better. if i were to recommend a bersa i would recommend their 9UC - it is a MUCH better pistol than their .380