Berets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Berets

Swattie
03-29-2009, 08:51
Who do I talk to to see about making the beret with the class A and B uniform only and going back to the patrol caps for the ACU's. :steamed:

DiabloesLoco
03-29-2009, 09:02
Send a thank you note to GW Bush for making the entire Army "elite" by taking the Black beret from the Rangers and handing it to every assclown in uniform. After that, get that hot miserable peice of headgear on your skull and get to formation....

They simply suck- like most everything else French.

Swattie
03-29-2009, 09:56
I think the beret would be OK for the Class A. It has no place on the ACU.

deadday
03-29-2009, 10:14
Send a thank you note to GW Bush for making the entire Army "elite" by taking the Black beret from the Rangers and handing it to every assclown in uniform. After that, get that hot miserable peice of headgear on your skull and get to formation....

The Rangers took it from the Cav....

AF-Odin
03-29-2009, 18:20
It wasn't GW who gave you the beret, it was GEN Rick Shinseki, then Army Chief of Staff and now Obama's VA Secretary. I agree with the comment about taking the beret from the Cav for the Rangers. Cav guys wore them somewhat "unofficially" in the 70's like MANY of the armored forces in the rest of the world.

CPT_CRUNCH
03-29-2009, 21:34
It wasn't GW who gave you the beret, it was GEN Rick Shinseki, then Army Chief of Staff and now Obama's VA Secretary. I agree with the comment about taking the beret from the Cav for the Rangers. Cav guys wore them somewhat "unofficially" in the 70's like MANY of the armored forces in the rest of the world.

yes, GEN Shinseki made that change in Nov 2001. several years before GW took office.

Odin's Underlin
03-31-2009, 11:24
People need to quit complaining about the type of headgear that is issued or who wore it and when they did. If you can't soldier because of a something as useless as a beret in the American Army, go join an army that enjoys wearing one. That beret will not make you a better soldier.

Odin's Underlin
03-31-2009, 11:26
yes, GEN Shinseki made that change in Nov 2001. several years before GW took office.
Several years before GW took office? I'm sure you meant to say something else. At least I hope you did.

deadday
03-31-2009, 11:41
People need to quit complaining about the type of headgear that is issued or who wore it and when they did. If you can't soldier because of a something as useless as a beret in the American Army, go join an army that enjoys wearing one. That beret will not make you a better soldier.

Sure won't, but at least a PC will keep the damned sun outta my eyes...:wavey:

The Maggy
03-31-2009, 11:50
The ACU PC is horrible imo. They made it thicker then the old BDU PC and its alot hotter. The one thing I couldn't stand more then seeing a pog in a messed up beret is every pog pvt. sporting the ranger roll in their PC.

deadday
03-31-2009, 11:53
The ACU PC is horrible imo. They made it thicker then the old BDU PC and its alot hotter. The one thing I couldn't stand more then seeing a pog in a messed up beret is every pog pvt. sporting the ranger roll in their PC.

But but, all the cool kids do it!! The ACU PC can be made more tolerable by ripping the map pocket out....who the **** puts a map on top of their soaked with sweat hair anyways?

The Maggy
03-31-2009, 12:30
But but, all the cool kids do it!! The ACU PC can be made more tolerable by ripping the map pocket out....who the **** puts a map on top of their soaked with sweat hair anyways?

lol yeah I figured out how to remove the map pocket after my second day in Kuwait. Honestly I think the Booney is way under rated though. Every now and then some retard will starch his but most people manage to wear it properly

deadday
03-31-2009, 12:31
lol yeah I figured out how to remove the map pocket after my second day in Kuwait. Honestly I think the Booney is way under rated though. Every now and then some retard will starch his but most people manage to wear it properly

Yup, boonies FTW:supergrin:

pt945
03-31-2009, 19:50
Every now and then some retard will starch his

i have got to see that..:rofl: a boonie that looks like a drill sgt.'s brown round. :drillsgt:

The Maggy
03-31-2009, 21:31
one guy in my company showed up for the deployment with his brim starched on a basket ball so it kept a perfect round bucket hat/ straw sun hat look for 15 months.

Never could under stand why worn as if pulled from your pocket and put on your head is so hard.:dunno:

SEAX
04-07-2009, 18:28
Beret's make me think of France
France makes me think of cowardice and failure
Cowardice & failure make me think of France

See my dilemma?

deadday
04-08-2009, 00:08
Beret's make me think of France
France makes me think of cowardice and failure
Cowardice & failure make me think of France

See my dilemma?

Join the Foreign Legion?:dunno: No berets there...

ranger88
04-09-2009, 22:57
It was once said by a special forces guy that a beret is the most useless piece of equipment in the Army inventory. It won't keep the sun out of your eyes, keep your head warm when it's cold or cool when it's hot out. It won't keep your head dry when it's raining or keep your ears from getting frost bite when it's below zero degrees celsius. About the only thing it's good for is to puke in on the way to the DZ. :tongueout:

NDC187
04-26-2009, 06:02
the acu's are ugly period. They look like some damn pajama patern. The beret...i kinda like it for garrison.

I think it was copied from the green beret's. we copied it from the brits

APD
05-05-2009, 09:43
I wore berets for about 4 years before ETS and I hated them.As I was leaving they handed the black berets to every swinging Richard and it was disgusting.

Where I used to see hardcore paratroopers and Rangers sporting their berets property (since they had great NCO's who kept them in the proper uniform),I now saw disgusting fatbodies wearing it like a chef hat,grabbing their crotches as they pimp-walked down the street.

I loved to wear my boonie and PC way more than the beret and I will agree that the beret serves no practical purpose, it saddened me to see it handed out to all where before it had to be earned.

Oh well,it is the soldier that makes the uniform and not the other way around.:upeyes:

Former 11B3P,airborne!

ranger88
05-05-2009, 11:58
I wore berets for about 4 years before ETS and I hated them.As I was leaving they handed the black berets to every swinging Richard and it was disgusting.

Where I used to see hardcore paratroopers and Rangers sporting their berets property (since they had great NCO's who kept them in the proper uniform),I now saw disgusting fatbodies wearing it like a chef hat,grabbing their crotches as they pimp-walked down the street.

I loved to wear my boonie and PC way more than the beret and I will agree that the beret serves no practical purpose, it saddened me to see it handed out to all where before it had to be earned.

Oh well,it is the soldier that makes the uniform and not the other way around.:upeyes:

Former 11B3P,airborne!

I agree completely!

Former 11H2V!

GreenBeret1631
05-12-2009, 12:35
Join the Foreign Legion?:dunno: No berets there...

The FFL does wear a green beret! They only wear the White Kepi with their dress uniforms.

As for berets, yes they are pretty useless in the field. That said, I still wear my green beret proudly, as a life member of the Special Forces Association, on occasions wear it is called for.

GreenBeret1631
05-12-2009, 12:41

Hey! Let's put the blame on the right person here!

That 'honor' belongs on Gen.Shinseki!

http://www.75thrangers.com/media.htm

deadday
05-12-2009, 12:47
Hey! Let's put the blame on the right person here!

That 'honor' belongs on Gen.Shinseki!

http://www.75thrangers.com/media.htm

That wonderful man who is now ****ing up the benefits for every single one of us that served with honor in OEF/OIF....

deadday
05-12-2009, 12:47
The FFL does wear a green beret! They only wear the White Kepi with their dress uniforms.

As for berets, yes they are pretty useless in the field. That said, I still wear my green beret proudly, as a life member of the Special Forces Association, on occasions wear it is called for.

<---still wears his Stetson occasionallyu...

One_November
05-12-2009, 13:38
If you are serious about talking to somebody, you should write a letter to the SMA. I don't think is going to change anything, BUT, you can at least voice your ideas, while others just complain about it. Although, you never know, maybe the next SMA thinks like youo and push for the change.

deadday
05-12-2009, 13:42
If you are serious about talking to somebody, you should write a letter to the SMA. I don't think is going to change anything, BUT, you can at least voice your ideas, while others just complain about it. Although, you never know, maybe the next SMA thinks like youo and push for the change.

SMA Preston is usually pretty receptive to emails/letters from the troops....He jumped all over BAMC when they told the burn patients they were not allowed to wear their boonie hats and HAD to wear berets...

bennwj
05-15-2009, 19:19

If you are going to gripe, at least get your facts straight. General Eric Shinseki authorized the wear of the black beret.....not President Bush. The ONLY headgear in the United States Army authorized by a President was the Green Beret.

I have been in for 22 years and have only worn a black beret for the last 9 months.

Instead of griping, wear your uniform with pride and hang in there long enough so you can make decisions like this.

deadday
05-15-2009, 20:30
If you are going to gripe, at least get your facts straight. General Eric Shinseki authorized the wear of the black beret.....not President Bush. The ONLY headgear in the United States Army authorized by a President was the Green Beret.

I have been in for 22 years and have only worn a black beret for the last 9 months.

Instead of griping, wear your uniform with pride and hang in there long enough so you can make decisions like this.

Official Army headgear when we see SMA Bennwj:

WTH can't I post images in the Army forum? (http://www.zymetrical.com/images/products/beerhelmet.jpg)

bennwj
05-15-2009, 20:56
Official Army headgear when we see SMA Bennwj:

WTH can't I post images in the Army forum? (http://www.zymetrical.com/images/products/beerhelmet.jpg)

I'll have them made up in ACU cammo.......

Or I'll just make the entire Army paratroopers so we can wear maroon ones

deadday
05-15-2009, 22:03
I'll have them made up in ACU cammo.......

Or I'll just make the entire Army paratroopers so we can wear maroon ones

:rock::drunk:

Essayons
05-19-2009, 17:31
Personally i dont like the barret, its a pain and has no real function. Love my pc cap however, wish i could wear it all the time in garrison.

GreenBeret1631
05-21-2009, 19:02
Personally i dont like the barret, its a pain and has no real function. Love my pc cap however, wish i could wear it all the time in garrison.

Hmmm ... Please tell me just what is a 'barret?' :rofl:

Whatever it is you deserve to 'wear it all the time!' :tongueout:

ChinaSeaSailor
05-21-2009, 21:35
I was with the Mobile Riverine Force in Vitnam - we sailors wore the First Black Beret way back then in the 60's - I still have mine

deadday
05-21-2009, 22:05
I was with the Mobile Riverine Force in Vitnam - we sailors wore the First Black Beret way back then in the 60's - I still have mine

I do believe the Cav troopers were wearing berets before the Riverine Force...:tongueout:

KYglockers
05-21-2009, 22:22
I read something in a book that I read recently.....On Killing...written by an army Lt. Col, that stated Nato wears berets in combat based on psycologists studies of statements of German WW2 soldiersbeing reluctant to shoot unhelmeted soldiers.

deadday
05-22-2009, 00:34
I read something in a book that I read recently.....On Killing...written by an army Lt. Col, that stated Nato wears berets in combat based on psycologists studies of statements of German WW2 soldiersbeing reluctant to shoot unhelmeted soldiers.

Yeah, taht's what studies show...but we don't wear berets in combat or even in the field...

KYglockers
05-22-2009, 03:48
Yeah, taht's what studies show...but we don't wear berets in combat or even in the field...

Yes, Im quite aware, being a Rakkassan 3/187 Airborne. Hoooah!

bennwj
05-22-2009, 09:57
the acu's are ugly period. They look like some damn pajama patern. The beret...i kinda like it for garrison.

I think it was copied from the green beret's. we copied it from the brits

I have a friend who is an aviation SGM. He took some pictures from a UH-60 with Soldiers in BDUs and ACUs at Ft. Bragg. I was pretty surprised at how well the ACUs worked in all those pine trees. The BDUs looked black and you could see people.

ACUs also were really well in the rocky terrain of Afghanistan and in urban areas in Iraq.

I wish they would have had ACUs when I came in 21 odd years ago.

bennwj
05-22-2009, 10:04
Hmmm ... Please tell me just what is a 'barret?' :rofl:

Whatever it is you deserve to 'wear it all the time!' :tongueout:

This past year here at the Sergeants Major Academy was the first time in my 21 years I had to wear a black one. Maroon and a Campaign Hat have been my only headgear.

The Beret is not a really functional piece of headgear, but it is made to be worn in garrison. If it is cold in garrison, you wear your fleece cap. Hot, you can wear the "boonie".

The problem is when you get these commanders, 1SGs and CSMs who decide they do not like a particular piece of headgear they do not allow the troops to wear it.

At my last "real" assignment at Bragg, in the summer when it was hot and we were in the motor pool, after formation you could put in your boonie. In the winter we walked around with our fleece cap on. Common sense prevailed.

On my last deployment to Afghanistan I told my Soldiers that they could wear either the Boonie or the PC on the FOB (Orgun-E).

GreenBeret1631
05-22-2009, 12:40
bennwj:

Your post sounds reasonable to me. I totally agree that the beret is not very useful in the field. I favor the Ranger Patrol cap w/ ear flaps & map pocket.

IMO: Berets should only be worn my qualified Airborne Troopers, Rangers and Special Forces Soldiers.

My first beret was a black one in 1951 as an Airborne Ranger in an Airborne Ranger Company. (Authorized at Company level only. We were the first AIRBORNE Rangers) I got my Green One in 1961.

I'll be wearing my SFA Dress uniform along with my Green Beret w/ Association flash, (With PRIDE!) on Memorial day at the local cemetery's Memorial Day Ceremony

deadday
05-22-2009, 13:01
I have a friend who is an aviation SGM. He took some pictures from a UH-60 with Soldiers in BDUs and ACUs at Ft. Bragg. I was pretty surprised at how well the ACUs worked in all those pine trees. The BDUs looked black and you could see people.

ACUs also were really well in the rocky terrain of Afghanistan and in urban areas in Iraq.

I wish they would have had ACUs when I came in 21 odd years ago.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3/deadday/Funny%20Pics/ACU-couch-web.jpg

:wavey:

bennwj
05-22-2009, 17:23
bennwj:

Your post sounds reasonable to me. I totally agree that the beret is not very useful in the field. I favor the Ranger Patrol cap w/ ear flaps & map pocket.

IMO: Berets should only be worn my qualified Airborne Troopers, Rangers and Special Forces Soldiers.

My first beret was a black one in 1951 as an Airborne Ranger in an Airborne Ranger Company. (Authorized at Company level only. We were the first AIRBORNE Rangers) I got my Green One in 1961.

I'll be wearing my SFA Dress uniform along with my Green Beret w/ Association flash, (With PRIDE!) on Memorial day at the local cemetery's Memorial Day Ceremony

I showed up at Ft Bragg in 1988. The first green beret I saw was perched on the head of a female who was about 8 months pregnant. Sad.

Fortunately that problem got fixed around 1993 or so, and the SOldiers assigned to Group wear a maroon one now.

Unfortunately, the maroon beret is considered to be organizational headgear and you can walk all over Bragg and see LEGS wearing the maroon beret.

It would be nice to get that problem fixed.

Thank you for your service. I am where I am today because of people like you who paved the way. I stand on the shoulders of Giants.....

All The Way!!!

GreenBeret1631
05-23-2009, 12:11
bennwj:

Yes, I had a similar experience seeing a green beret clad female PIO soldier, assigned to group who had a 5x5 build, taking pictures at a 1st SFG(A) event at Ft. Lewis, WA. This of course was before the changes were made to restrict the green beret to only those that are 18x qualified. I was shocked to see this.

Yes, I'm aware that non-jump-qualified people also wear the maroon beret. I agree it should be changed to allow only jump qualified soldiers to wear it. (Thats why I mentioned it.)

Of course, when we first got our green berets, those assigned to a group wore the beret. Those who were SF qualified wore the full group flash, those that were only airborne qualified wore the 'candy bar' flash and those that didn't meet those standards wore the beret with just the regimental crest on the beret.

There wasn't a 'Long Tab' in those days either, as the full flash designated that you were SF qualified. If you left SF, you had nothing to show your were ex-SF.

Reheater
05-23-2009, 21:55
Task Force wears Maroon berets... Majority of those guys havent even been to jump school. And they wear and Tab over the spade on their unit patch.

glowworm3980
05-24-2009, 07:25
I love my beret. Not to mention my Stet. That's the head gear of heritage. Serves all purposes too. Keeps sun out of eyes and your head stays cool.

Reheater
05-24-2009, 11:58
I love my beret. Not to mention my Stet. That's the head gear of heritage. Serves all purposes too. Keeps sun out of eyes and your head stays cool.

Air Cav!

deadday
05-24-2009, 12:04

And the chicks love 'em!

GreenBeret1631
05-24-2009, 12:55
Air Cav!

I served in the 1st Cavalry Division, in the occupation of Japan in 1947. (I was 16 years old.) I'm a member of the 1st Cavalry Division Association. I was the Chapter President of the NW Chapter of that Association for many years. I just recently resigned.

We wore the Cavalry Stetson, as part of our dress uniform (Black or Blue Blazer, white dress shirt & Cavalry tie, Grey trousers and black dress shoes.

Ex-EM wore the Cavalry Yellow and ex-officers wore the officer hat braid.

My problem with the stetson is the cost. As I recall it was well over $150.00 to outfit it with all the necessary stuff.

One of the other thing I disliked about it was trying to figure out what to do with it when your indoors and not wearing it, especially in public places. It is large and takes up a lot of room. I never liked leaving it out of my sight, as I would hate to lose all that cash to some thief or joker! :upeyes:

The Beret fit's nicely into a pocket or folded-up under ones belt.

As for the 'chicks' I never noticed any 'chicks' doing flip-flops anybody wearing a stetson or a beret. :dunno:

GreenBeret1631
05-24-2009, 13:06
Task Force wears Maroon berets... Majority of those guys havent even been to jump school. And they wear and Tab over the spade on their unit patch.

I don't have any 'heart burn' over non-jump qualified people assigned to an Airborne unit wearing the Airborne tab as it's part of that unit's patch.

I do hate to see 'Legs' wearing a Maroon beret though! :steamed:

Reheater
05-24-2009, 13:29
I don't have any 'heart burn' over non-jump qualified people assigned to an Airborne unit wearing the Airborne tab as it's part of that unit's patch.

I do hate to see 'Legs' wearing a Maroon beret though! :steamed:

Thing is they aren't really an Airborne unit. They are SOAR, so the closest thing to Airborne ops they could do would be guys who do things in the dark jumping out of a Hawk. But then again the 101st isnt an Airborne unit anymore in the idea of paratrooper they are "Air Assault."

glowworm3980
05-24-2009, 20:49
The chicks do love them, LoL!! They are bulky when they're not worn. I love them though. It sets us apart from all others. No we just need to work on them lettings us have our stallions again..... :)

deadday
05-24-2009, 22:01
The chicks do love them, LoL!! They are bulky when they're not worn. I love them though. It sets us apart from all others. No we just need to work on them lettings us have our stallions again..... :)

They seem to like the spurs as well :whistling:

glowworm3980
05-25-2009, 07:33
I won't even bring that into the picture. That's a whole different ball game there. But, yep you got a nice Stet and Spurs to go with it, u da man. :wow:

bennwj
05-25-2009, 16:52

You have to remember that the "AIRBORNE" tab is not really a tab....it is part of the Patch.

The only real tabs are:

Special Forces
Sapper
Ranger
President's Hundred

I have friends at the 160th and they are all Airborne Qualified. The Assistant Regimental S-2 is a friend.

Like most aviation units the pilots are generally not airborne qualified, but they have FARP teams that have to be along with others.

GreenBeret1631
05-26-2009, 14:13
Thing is they aren't really an Airborne unit. They are SOAR, so the closest thing to Airborne ops they could do would be guys who do things in the dark jumping out of a Hawk. But then again the 101st isnt an Airborne unit anymore in the idea of paratrooper they are "Air Assault."

I should amend my statement to if the patch has an 'Airborne' tab, anybody that is assigned to that unit, should wear the patch as issued. In the case of the 101st a lot of past military history and heraldry is evolved.

As for the Maroon beret, IMO only people who are qualified paratroopers assigned to an Airborne unit and on jump status, should wear a maroon beret with their uniform.

Bren
05-30-2009, 06:34
I should amend my statement to if the patch has an 'Airborne' tab, anybody that is assigned to that unit, should wear the patch as issued. In the case of the 101st a lot of past military history and heraldry is evolved.

As for the Maroon beret, IMO only people who are qualified paratroopers assigned to an Airborne unit and on jump status, should wear a maroon beret with their uniform.

In the 80's that WAS what AR 670-1 said. Ironically, everybody assigned to a special forces unit back then wore the green beret, SF/airborne or not, (with flash, but without the SF crest), but only paratroopers assigned to an airborne unit were supposed to wear the maroon one. Now it's the opposite.

GreenBeret1631
06-01-2009, 13:23
In the 80's that WAS what AR 670-1 said. Ironically, everybody assigned to a special forces unit back then wore the green beret, SF/airborne or not, (with flash, but without the SF crest), but only paratroopers assigned to an airborne unit were supposed to wear the maroon one. Now it's the opposite.

As I recall from my own experience until the SF tab was authorized, the Group flash was not worn on the SF beret by non-qualified people. Until the tab was authorized the flash w/regimental crest was the mark of of a qualified SF soldier. Today, people assigned to a group that are airborne qualified wear the Group flash on their maroon beret. Only 18x qualified people wear a Green beret. (With flash & Crest)

Bren
06-02-2009, 18:27
As I recall from my own experience until the SF tab was authorized, the Group flash was not worn on the SF beret by non-qualified people. Until the tab was authorized the flash w/regimental crest was the mark of of a qualified SF soldier. Today, people assigned to a group that are airborne qualified wear the Group flash on their maroon beret. Only 18x qualified people wear a Green beret. (With flash & Crest)

Could be. I was thinking it was the flash with "candy bar" in the 80's, but I don't specifically remember seeing them, so maybe the non-SF guys just wore the candy bar. I was on active duty when the tab was authorized, but I didn't go to Ft. Bragg until 1985. Back then, 670-1 said the maroon beret was only authorized for airborne qualified personnel assigned to airborne units. Now it's everybody assigned to airborne units and I did see at least one guy back then who reported to the 82d before jump school get issued a beret.

M1 SUPER 90
06-02-2009, 20:33
This past year here at the Sergeants Major Academy was the first time in my 21 years I had to wear a black one. Maroon and a Campaign Hat have been my only headgear.

The Beret is not a really functional piece of headgear, but it is made to be worn in garrison. If it is cold in garrison, you wear your fleece cap. Hot, you can wear the "boonie".

The problem is when you get these commanders, 1SGs and CSMs who decide they do not like a particular piece of headgear they do not allow the troops to wear it.

At my last "real" assignment at Bragg, in the summer when it was hot and we were in the motor pool, after formation you could put in your boonie. In the winter we walked around with our fleece cap on. Common sense prevailed.

On my last deployment to Afghanistan I told my Soldiers that they could wear either the Boonie or the PC on the FOB (Orgun-E).

On my deployment in 06-07 my CSM would not allow us to wear the black fleece cap. He said it was gang related.