win98 and something odd [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : win98 and something odd

Another Miller
03-29-2009, 15:29
The other day, my son was looking up stuff for his xbox.I didnt pay any attention and went back outside. He comes running out and says he entered a contest to win a free video game system.Right about then,Im thinking oh boy,here we go again.So I turn the computer back on and its redoing the config files.Running so slow its like watching a old picture show.

Anyhow,awhile back I used a program you guys recommended for the registry.I ran ccleaner and it works great but there is a bunch of junk now stuck in there somewhere that I cant find,ccleaner isnt finding them.the last time,I used that program(not ccleaner) it eliminated all the junk files.I didnt think I needed it again so I removed the program.Anyhow, the mystery program showed all files by name and was a small download.

I went to a regular registry site and did the free scan.My computer is full of junk files now,according to their free scan.Maybe that would explain why it takes 10 minutes to start up each time now and forever to reach a website like glocktalk.Any idea what the registry program was?

annielulu
03-29-2009, 18:17
I'm not an expert but you may want to download SPYBOT and ADAWARE and see if they help. Most problems I have are taken care of by these 2 programs.

Hailstorm
03-29-2009, 19:02
Superantispyware works well.

Sgt. Schultz
03-29-2009, 19:46
Get Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware at ...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5756.html

Kimelac
03-30-2009, 10:23
Smack the kid and reformat... make him sit there and reinstall EVERYTHING one piece at a time without a network connection until it's done.

Or nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

FThorn
03-30-2009, 10:29
I've never had any problem remotely resembling that on Mac OS X.
Sounds like spyware that I've heard can infect Windows OSes.

Big Al 24
03-30-2009, 19:04
As soon as enough people decide to flee to Mac because of spyware and virus infections- Macs will start getting them. As their user-base grows, so will the threats.