Army Infantry, tell me about it plz [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Army Infantry, tell me about it plz

Cperez
03-29-2009, 20:19
Been thinking about enlisting for a while, and was pretty interested in the being a Cav scout, but for at least the past month I've been really considering the Infantry. Ive been getting tons of anti infantry (safer) MOS talk from friends and family. Im not looking to be talked in or out of it, my mind is just about made up, I would like some of you guys with experience to weigh in. Experiences, training deployment choosing a post, etc... thanks for serving, and for anything you share.

Cperez
03-29-2009, 21:27
:whistling:anyonee

Javelin
03-29-2009, 21:30
If you like and enjoy a lot of physical outdoors stuff, training, sleeping, and fighting in the worst conditions imagineable, then Infantry is a good decision.

If you do not like pulling track and and mechanical motor pool stuff then stay out of the Mechanized Infantry such as 3rd and 4th Infantry (and anything Cav).

Though just know that when you get out that being Infantry will do nothing for you on the outside unless you were Ranger and maybe Blackwater (Xi..whatever) wants to hire you.

But Infantry is the top of the food chain and the Main Effort of the US Army. There is nothing wrong with it. Spent my time in the military as an Infantryman and I enjoyed it.

:wavey:

USMCSergeant
03-29-2009, 21:42
+1 for Javelin's post

If you decide to get out of the military after serving as an infantryman, finding a job will be a difficult process. It took me close to 7 months to find a job after my honorable discharge from the Marine Corps. I was very close to enlisting a second time when I finally received a callback from one of my applications.

The Army is a great service (Yes a Marine just complimented the Army) LOL..they offer many technical and high skill jobs that they will pay YOU to learn. When you get out in 2-4- or 20 years you have a skill that the civilian world needs and will pay for.

But if your heart is set on going infantry then so be it.. I was the same way, I scored well on the ASVAB and still chose to be a ground pounder. Nothing wrong with that!

Either way good luck!!

Cperez
03-29-2009, 22:08
Thanks guys, is there anything that makes an infantryman undesirable as an employee or is it simply that your skill sets dont apply directly to most jobs in the civilian sector

USMCSergeant
03-30-2009, 00:26
It is the skill sets issue. I'm sure that military service looks great to employers, but if another applicant has experience in the line of work you're applying for, then you dont have much of a chance in most interviews.

Then again, my service with the infantry was the best time of my life. I traveled around, made great friends, and went to work every morning knowing that I'm part of something special. You learn to fire lots of different types of weapons, and you shoot often. So... really it is up to you, if you want to go infantry and you're heart is set on it.. then do it. Also after your first enlistment is up you may have an oppertunity to switch your MOS. So you could serve a few years in the infantry and if it is not right for you, switch to something else. This is my experience though btw, I'm not sure if the Army does this or not.. and if your MOS is in high value at the time of your EAS it may not apply.

The Maggy
03-30-2009, 01:01
Thanks guys, is there anything that makes an infantryman undesirable as an employee or is it simply that your skill sets dont apply directly to most jobs in the civilian sector

In the civilian world, there are alot of characture traits that come from being a grunt that are great to have and hard to come by, these traits aren't on paper though and you dont get a certificate for them. I was trained to employ everything from the M9 up to the Javelin missle system in combat. Thats not something your local Best Buy usually cares about. Yes it is harder to get into a job when you leave but if I had to do it again I wouldn't take any other MOS.

Light Infantry>Mech. Infantry :whistling:

luv2brode
03-30-2009, 22:14
8 yrs infantry loved most of it

ssgrock3
03-31-2009, 07:12

most employers have no idea what an infantryman does. When I got out I found that I was uniquely qualified to do almost nothing in the civilian world, I did have the mental and physical ability to do anything, but the skills I used in the infantry just did not directly correlate to many civvy jobs Didn't even really give me a leg up except in .gov jobs/post office

hoosier#17
03-31-2009, 07:43
Nothing wrong with the Infantry. If you make it through then you can do most anything. Great comraderie and once you make it through AIT and see all the guys who couldnt hack it then there is definatlely a feeling of accomplishment. It would be a good 1st MOS and then move on to something else. You would be surprised how many employers will hire just on you being a veteran.

Odin's Underlin
03-31-2009, 11:33
Is the infantry what you really want to do? If you don't know for sure then don't do it. Have you done any research on your own? That is the best place to start then ask questions about the infantry. The infantry is much like any other MOS. There will be things you like and things that you absolutely hate about it. Do you like being cold, wet and hungry for long periods of time? Do you have a lot of self discipline? Can you carry a load on your back for long periods of time and distance? Could you carry someone else's load as well. Ask yourself if this what you honestly want to do.

Paraiso1
04-01-2009, 05:33
infantryman fight. Read this:

http://www.asamnet.de/~betheakr/creed.html

Read everything that you can about it, and know what you are getting yourself into.

ssgrock3
04-01-2009, 06:42
"Follow Me" is the Creed of the Infantryman! It may not transfer directly to a civvy job, the poster above hit the nail on the head, if you can be an infantryman, you can be anything you set your mind on. Infantry is one of the toughest jobs in the army. Our common task manual is about 5 times as thick as many other jobs, and that is what our privates have to know, let alone nco or officers. Infantry all the Way!

GroovedG19
04-01-2009, 10:42
Great link, Praiso1.
Have to burn that creed into my heart.I'm an 11X recruit.

deadday
04-01-2009, 10:44
But if you join the Cav you get a cool hat and spurs...Chicks dig the spurs....:whistling:

Cperez
04-01-2009, 10:53
Thanks a lot guys, i've been doing a lot of research and im sold. I love being part of a team and a good challenge, I love the outdoors, working untill exhaustion and shooting. Im great at following directions and getting things done. I want to serve my country and and hopefully relieve some of the brave men who have been serving in the gwot. Thanks a lot for the words of wisdom guys, and again a big thanks for serving!

Cperez
04-01-2009, 10:54
But if you join the Cav you get a cool hat and spurs...Chicks dig the spurs....:whistling:

Im a hetero dude and I kinda dig the cool hat and spurs too lol

GroovedG19
04-01-2009, 13:17
Seriously guys, that hat has to be the most stylish headwear in the US Armed Forces ever.Maybe I should've went Cav Scout just for the hat.

About those spurs though, they do make a good impact weapon.

Bren
04-02-2009, 15:25
If you want to do things that are interesting and exciting and get the discipline that will help you succeed with college and work later (and get a big bonus to pay for it), try Infantry. Infantry is the most flexible job in the Army, if you are in to be a soldier, rather than to train for something any POS could do in civilian life.

If you want something that might help you get some low-level blue collar job later, don't try the military. The civilian world isn't really looking for matching military qualifications - that's mainly a myth. It might get you some preference in law enforcement, but Infantry is as good as any for that. If you think you are going to get some technical job in the military and come out and walk right into great civilian jobs, you are fooling yourself - civilian jobs look for civilian education and certifications.

Bren
04-02-2009, 15:27

I have a cool hat and I get to wear it every day and I'm Infantry (See avatar). I work with a LOT of cav scouts - in 2 years of doing that, I've only seen their stetsons hanging on walls.

deadday
04-02-2009, 15:29
I have a cool hat and I get to wear it every day and I'm Infantry (See avatar). I work with a LOT of cav scouts - in 2 years of doing that, I've only seen their stetsons hanging on walls.

Most units wear Spurs and Stets on Fridays....As well as all the Cav balls...

Cperez
04-02-2009, 23:26
If you want to do things that are interesting and exciting and get the discipline that will help you succeed with college and work later (and get a big bonus to pay for it), try Infantry. Infantry is the most flexible job in the Army, if you are in to be a soldier, rather than to train for something any POS could do in civilian life.

If you want something that might help you get some low-level blue collar job later, don't try the military. The civilian world isn't really looking for matching military qualifications - that's mainly a myth. It might get you some preference in law enforcement, but Infantry is as good as any for that. If you think you are going to get some technical job in the military and come out and walk right into great civilian jobs, you are fooling yourself - civilian jobs look for civilian education and certifications.

11B all the way. Thanks Bren. Im definitely joining to be a soldier. Im meeting with a recruiter this morning at 10, hopefully I'll get an 11b contract down the road when I hit meps!

The Maggy
04-02-2009, 23:44
11B all the way. Thanks Bren. Im definitely joining to be a soldier. Im meeting with a recruiter this morning at 10, hopefully I'll get an 11b contract down the road when I hit meps!

Everytime a civilian says they want to be Infantry, a private gets his mosquito wings.

Don't let anyone lie to you when they say they might not be able to get you into the 11 series. The Army will always need one grunt. Do some research and you can even pick the unit you want and put it in writing.

GLD1980
04-03-2009, 00:12
Do not sign until you have everything on paper you want! In 05 I recieved an Unassigned Airborne contract and $19000 for 5 yrs! Now guys are getting $20,000 for less time and picking duty station and school options, ie. ( Ranger, Airborne, Air ASSLT), so get all you want!

I have been in 4yrs 3 mos and went to the SSG board the other day so keep in mind not only do we do all the fun stuff in the Army we get rewarded for all are hard work! Do keep in mind though a lack of disipline will definately build muscle and cause you to loose out on personal time! Attention to detail, 100 + % every day all day, and always take initiative and certain risks, It pays!

Stykers are the awesome by the way!

Charger Co 2/3 INF 3rd SBCT 2 I.D. Fort Lewis Wash!!!!!:tongueout:

ssgrock3
04-03-2009, 05:46
just to be clear....11B is one of the hardest, most thank less, difficult, miserable jobs in the army. It is not all glory, in fact, if you get any of that it is rare. You will be hotter than you have ever been, you will be colder than you have ever been, you will live in places that only snakes and rodents should only live, you will carry more on your back than you thought humanly possible. You will walk farther than a man should ever have to, you will have missions that only a moron will have come up with them and many more things just like this.....and if you have what it takes to keep your mouth shut and your balls in check...then you will get the opportunity to call yourself a US Army INFANTRYMAN!! That may be the only glory you get, but it is enough. I got out in 1990 and I still feel the pride I felt when I earned it, when I get out my blue infantry cord. Good Luck if this is what you choose. keep your socks dry and your head down. Hooaah, Infantry Leads the Way!

Javelin
04-03-2009, 17:43
Everytime a civilian says they want to be Infantry, a private gets his mosquito wings.

Don't let anyone lie to you when they say they might not be able to get you into the 11 series. The Army will always need one grunt. Do some research and you can even pick the unit you want and put it in writing.

Exactly.

And it is a little known fact why the sky is blue.

Because God loves the Infantry! :supergrin:

deadday
04-05-2009, 09:56
..forgot to mention, promotions come a LOT faster in combat arms MOS' than anywhere else...I was retired as an E5 after just under 4 years....If I coulda stuck around just a couple more months, I might've hit E6....

Don't go into the Army as an E1....Do NOT....ask your recruiter for the tests to get to E3 before you ship...The rank doesn't really mean anything through training, but it'll get you a couple hundred bucks more a month....

GroovedG19
04-05-2009, 12:32
Sergeant, what kind of tests to get to E3 before shipping?

deadday
04-05-2009, 12:57
Sergeant, what kind of tests to get to E3 before shipping?

It was basic stuff, learning rank structure, leanred the phonetic alphabet, a mini PT test ( 1 minute p/u, 1 minute s/u, 1 mile under 8:30), and basic map reading, not actual land nav, just learning the layout of maps, plotting points...

Or, if you have X amount of college credit hours, you can get a boost in grade as well, I think it is 48 to come in as an E3...

Also, getting someone else to enlist will get you at least 1 grade, and some cash too...

eta- I'm retarded now, so it's back to PFC (Private ****ing Civillian) :supergrin:

GLD1980
04-05-2009, 13:59
Know your 3 general orders and the Soldiers Creed before you show up and also learn the Infantrymans Creed has soon as you get a copy! Start doing alot of pushups, situps, and running 2+ miles until you can do it everyday no problem! Do pullups,chinups,dips and rucking also! Rucking is backpacking with more that 35lbs on your back. Just walk until your feet get used to it! Than start doing it for time. Our old bible was FM 7-8 and our new bible is FM 3-21.8 if you need them along with the creeds and some other study material to put you on the right track PM me your email! Start learning your battle drills and Army lingo.

deadday
04-05-2009, 14:11
When you're bored at night, check out the Army Study Guide (http://www.armystudyguide.com/) This page will save your life. Heading to a board, and completely forget something? ASG has it. Bored****less and trying to stay awake on CQ or Staff Duy? Open up the study guide, pick a section and start reading.

Know 670-1 forwards and backwards, know your rights if for some reason you get caught up in some trouble. Know your weapons. All of them. Whether you go Scout or Infantry, you will need to know everything about the: Mk19, M240B and C, M249, M4/16, M9, M2HB, AT4, Javellin, 25mm Bushmaster, and the TOW missile system.

And when you get to reception, one of the first things you will be given is a Smart Book. It is called that for a reason. Read a section of it every chance you get.

GroovedG19
04-05-2009, 21:17
Will do, sir.Appreciate the help.

deadday
04-05-2009, 21:23
Will do, sir.Appreciate the help.

Sir? C'mon, that's even worse :tongueout: You know where we are if you have any more questions...

GroovedG19
04-06-2009, 13:00
Yes.Thanks again.And thanks to all NCO's here for their help and input.It is much appreciated.

Kedyn
04-07-2009, 21:08
Do not sign until you have everything on paper you want! In 05 I recieved an Unassigned Airborne contract and $19000 for 5 yrs! Now guys are getting $20,000 for less time and picking duty station and school options, ie. ( Ranger, Airborne, Air ASSLT), so get all you want!

I have been in 4yrs 3 mos and went to the SSG board the other day so keep in mind not only do we do all the fun stuff in the Army we get rewarded for all are hard work! Do keep in mind though a lack of disipline will definately build muscle and cause you to loose out on personal time! Attention to detail, 100 + % every day all day, and always take initiative and certain risks, It pays!

Stykers are the awesome by the way!

Charger Co 2/3 INF 3rd SBCT 2 I.D. Fort Lewis Wash!!!!!:tongueout:

Does the ease of getting into Airborne/Air Assault school apply just to infantry, or could, say, a 68W get one of those schools in their enlistment contract?

deadday
04-07-2009, 23:42
Does the ease of getting into Airborne/Air Assault school apply just to infantry, or could, say, a 68W get one of those schools in their enlistment contract?

You can get ANYTHING (within reason) you want in your contract if you know how to ask and stick to it...if they say 'not available at this time' or 'can't do it in that MOS' or whatever, tell them, 'ok, thanks, I'll check again next week/month/whatever' and a slot will magically open up for you....I believe the Airborne request is Option 40 but I could be wrong...I don't know if you can request AA in your initial contract but your recruiter should know, and if not him, the interwebz will definately know....But you should have NO problems getting an airborne contract as a medic...

The Maggy
04-08-2009, 00:13
Option 40 is Ranger Introdoctrine Program with Airborne school enroute(you go to a Ranger battalion)

I believe option 4 is Airborne enroute to your first duty station which isnt always an Airborne unit. We would get guys in the 101st that just graduated jump school. You go where the Army needs you after jump school unless you can get it in writing.

Air Assault School you will not see unless you go to Ft. Campbell or you re-enlist for it(you would really waste a re-enlistment if you signed for this). There are some other places that offer an Air Assault School but I do not know how often or the reqs. for it. Hawaii offers it every now and then, there was one or two classes held early on in Iraq, and I think a place in Europe or Korea has one every now and then. Either way, the Sobalaski Air Assault School at Ft. Campbell holds class back to back, all year long.

deadday
04-08-2009, 00:19
Option 40 is Ranger Introdoctrine Program with Airborne school enroute(you go to a Ranger battalion)

I believe option 4 is Airborne enroute to your first duty station which isnt always an Airborne unit. We would get guys in the 101st that just graduated jump school. You go where the Army needs you after jump school unless you can get it in writing.

Air Assault School you will not see unless you go to Ft. Campbell or you re-enlist for it(you would really waste a re-enlistment if you signed for this). There are some other places that offer an Air Assault School but I do not know how often or the reqs. for it. Hawaii offers it every now and then, there was one or two classes held early on in Iraq, and I think a place in Europe or Korea has one every now and then. Either way, the Sobalaski Air Assault School at Ft. Campbell holds class back to back, all year long.

4, 40, I was close:supergrin: Korea does do an AA school once a year, they also hold a sniper course every now and again, and there is one in Japan at one of the airbases too....

Kedyn
04-08-2009, 10:17
You can get ANYTHING (within reason) you want in your contract if you know how to ask and stick to it...if they say 'not available at this time' or 'can't do it in that MOS' or whatever, tell them, 'ok, thanks, I'll check again next week/month/whatever' and a slot will magically open up for you....I believe the Airborne request is Option 40 but I could be wrong...I don't know if you can request AA in your initial contract but your recruiter should know, and if not him, the interwebz will definately know....But you should have NO problems getting an airborne contract as a medic...

Really? I had heard about that, but didn't know if it was true. I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Air Assault School you will not see unless you go to Ft. Campbell or you re-enlist for it(you would really waste a re-enlistment if you signed for this).

Why do you consider it wasted? I can see how it could be if it's the only thing you signed up for for another two years.

The Maggy
04-08-2009, 11:48
Why do you consider it wasted? I can see how it could be if it's the only thing you signed up for for another two years.

It would be a waste because if you stay in the 101st long enough and you don't step on your crank you will go to Air Assault school. The only school it really opens up is Pathfinder, which jump wings can also get you.

You dont have to be air assault qualified to do an air assault mission.

With all of that being said, Ft. Campbell was a nice post, the 101st was an awesome unit to be in, and the surrounding community is one of the better possible places for an infantryman to be.

deadday
04-08-2009, 13:04
Really? I had heard about that, but didn't know if it was true. I'll definitely keep that in mind!

With reenlistments, you can get things like stabilization (2 years at a post without deploying, good for family guys), you can get station of choice, you can get time out of the Army to go to school for a few semesters, etc. etc.

NDC187
04-19-2009, 15:46
I loved being infantry and I would do it again. I love sucking mud though. I'm out now and like others said it's just not cool in civilian life. When you tell people what you did usually they look at you like your crazy..

The best saying I heard is the only thing infantry shows you how to do in the world is tell people what to do. Unless you want to be a cop or firefighter then that's about it. You will learn great trade craft skills on killing and survival. But anything high paying unless private military contractor...probably not.

i read allot of posts now looks like you are going infantry? Really get airborne or r.i.p or whatever you want in your contract and don't take no for an answer. wait until a slot opens like someone else said. And start studying everything NOW. Buy a ranger hand book and learn it cover to cover. Even if you don't go Ranger learn the Ranger creed, etc. 9 line medevac, op order, rank identification.etc etc

do not show up not knowing nothing. it will make your life so much easier in basic and going to your unit.

Drum has air assault and we have sent guys like crazy to it not to mention ranger school. You work hard and good at shooting and pt the sky is the limit.

trdvet
04-20-2009, 19:49
Sometimes it sucked and other times were the best in my life.

deadday
04-20-2009, 19:53
Sometimes it sucked and other times were the best in my life.

That pretty much sums it up....

DriBak
04-21-2009, 19:51
I did three years as an 11B, Mechanized. I did not get to choose duty station ended up being stationed at Ft. Benning after OSUT (Basic + AIT) I loved Columbus, GA. Garrison was boring, the field training was fun. I also learned to use many different weapons systems and became demo certified. I earned a CIB during a Multi-National live fire exercise named Desert Shield/ Desert Storm :)